Nascar Trivia

BobbyFord said:
Who was the first driver to run non-stop in one of the two Daytona qualifying races and in what year?
1998 Jeff Gordon ?

BobbyFord said:
Who was the first driver to run non-stop in one of the two Daytona qualifying races and in what year?
To keep this on the front page....guess we need a hint/clue

Cool...a stumper!
Here's the answer and the interesting facts that go along with it...

Answer: Fred Lorenzen on Feb. 24th, 1967 (100 laps). NASCAR later added 25 more miles so that cars would have to pit at least once.
It was also Freddie's last win. He made two more start's before suddenly retiring at the ripe, old age of 32, citing ulcers and weight loss for the cause of his sudden decision.

BobbyFord said:
Cool...a stumper!
Here's the answer and the interesting facts that go along with it...

Answer: Fred Lorenzen on Feb. 24th, 1967 (100 laps). NASCAR later added 25 more miles so that cars would have to pit at least once.
It was also Freddie's last win. He made two more start's before suddenly retiring at the ripe, old age of 32, citing ulcers and weight loss for the cause of his sudden decision.
good job !!!! guess you go again.......(?)

NW, let me have a go here.

Speaking of Bodines, Brett Bodine is the driver of the pace car as most of you know, but before that, he was a driver on the circuit. He is credited with one win. Where was that win and what was the controversy?

After the race NASCAR said they had goofed when they put Brett in the lead after he had made a pit stop during the final caution.

When the caution came out, the pace car picked up Dale as the leader instead of Brett. He made his stop when pit road opened, before NASCAR caught the mistake.

I'll let Kat ask the question. :)

15 May 1955
Tucson Rodeo Grounds
Danny Letner listed as the winner

That's the only other track in Arizona that I can find listed as hosting a Grand National/Cup event.

TexasRaceLady said:
Let's try this --- since they are racing in Arizona

Other than Phoenix, where else has NASCAR raced in Arizona and when?
I found Arizona State Fairgrounds....1951-1956....winner 04/22/51--MarshallTeague-
driving a '51 hudson

Arizona State Fairgrounds is/was in Phoenix. Question asked where in Arizona other than Phoenix. Only other location I've found is in Tucson at the Rodeo Grounds on 15 May 1955.

boB said:
Arizona State Fairgrounds is/was in Phoenix. Question asked where in Arizona other than Phoenix. Only other location I've found is in Tucson at the Rodeo Grounds on 15 May 1955.
My mistake..I thought she meant "Phoenix International Raceway"....

Another track that I can only find one reference to is Meyer Speedway and Bobby Allison won there on 23 June 1971.

Question is; where was Meyer Speedway located?

boB said:
Another track that I can only find one reference to is Meyer Speedway and Bobby Allison won there on 23 June 1971.

Question is; where was Meyer Speedway located?
Houston, Texas

TexasRaceLady said:
A little sidenote about Meyer Speedway. We raced there a few times --- we always parked next to a young man named Terry. LOL

Gee, I wonder if the guy named Terry ever made it as a racer!!!! LOL LOL

There are two years in which no driver scored successive wins; 1949 and 1984.

You asked the question but didn't check the records.
1949 was the first year that NASCAR ran the then strictly stock division, which became the Grand Nationals, the Winston Cup Series and is now known as the NEXTEL CUP.

You cannot seperate it and say, "Sorry, later." That just don't cut it kiddo!
Facts is facts.

boB said:
There are two years in which no driver scored successive wins; 1949 and 1984.

You asked the question but didn't check the records.
1949 was the first year that NASCAR ran the then strictly stock division, which became the Grand Nationals, the Winston Cup Series and is now known as the NEXTEL CUP.

You cannot seperate it and say, "Sorry, later." That just don't cut it kiddo!
Facts is facts.
You're right....let me clarify...when I asked the question I tried to separate
by saying "winston" cup races, so there would only be 1 answer, not 2.

But NASCAR considered all that preceded 1971/1972 Winston Cup, just as they now consider all of those Winston Cup events NEXTEL CUP.
Therefore there have been two seasons in which no driver scored consecutive wins, 1949 and 1984.
You did not specify the so called "modern era", which would be from 1972 to date.

dsdjtlts said:
You're right....let me clarify...when I asked the question I tried to separate
by saying "winston" cup races, so there would only be 1 answer, not 2.
As starter of this thread I am going to step in and referee the dispute so the topic does not stall more than it already has.
Nascar has gone by the names.....Strictly Stock, Grand National, Winston Cup, and Nextel Cup. Unless the question refers to a specific time period, by dates, all questions will include the entire duration of Nascar.

dsdjtlts and Bob, shake hands and lets continue with the Trivia. The Trivia is too much fun to get bogged down in disagreements. :)

Bob, it is your go.

ok I got it...thought I had established a time line by saying "winston cup" (no?) I had
no idea specifying "winston cup" would be so confusing..sorry bob.
No need to shake hands--bob's just keeping me on my toes, I am sure no offense intended and certainly none taken.

dsdjtlts said:
ok I got it...thought I had established a time line by saying "winston cup" (no?) I had
no idea specifying "winston cup" would be so confusing..sorry bob.
No need to shake hands--bob's just keeping me on my toes, I am sure no offense intended and certainly none taken.
Way to go dsdjtlts.
Come on bob, post a question now and lets get this thing moving again.

How about a real easy question this time? I don't think it's been asked before, but what driver has the most wins without ever winning a championship?
(Actually, I was surprised at the answer when I looked this one up.)

As for any offense intended or taken, there was neither. Just trying to keep everyone on their toes as that's the only way we all learn little known facts from each other and makes the whole little game worthwhile for us all.

Figured that one was too easy!

I was thinking it was Fireball Roberts for some reason; was surprised to see the number of wins Jr. had during his driving career.

Guess you're up Fergy!

Back
Top Bottom