Nascar Trivia

Two parts:

What two single events did the most to make NASCAR the giant entertainment venue it has become?

Extra credit for the names of the two men who made those two events occur.

NOTE: Old timers. Give the kids a chance at this one. Be interesting to see what we get for answers.

OK...let's wait until the kids get a chance. If they don't get it I know the answer. (and so do all the rest of the oldtimers)

nascarwoman said:
OK...let's wait until the kids get a chance. If they don't get it I know the answer. (and so do all the rest of the oldtimers)
nascarwoman, I think you should go with your guess. Looks like the "young-guns" aren't up to speed. :) ;)

How about a hint. Or, maybe we can talk Nascarwoman into posting the answer. :)

I guess everyone is playing Magnethead's game now, so...

I figured this was pretty obvious for even the newest of fans who had done any reading about NASCAR at all.

First fellow would be Jr. Johnson. He is the person who was responsible for bringing RJR/Winston to NASCAR as the title sponsor at the time (1970) the manufacturer's were leaving.

Second fellow has to be Ken Squier who sold CBS on the idea of broadcasting the 1979 Daytona 500 live, flag to flag and who introduced the in-car camera to those broadcasts.

Nobody other than the France family have done anything to influence stockcar racing more.

Bob, would you like to post another question or would you like someone else to give it a go? The ball is still in your court.:)

This topic / game has attracted over 900 replies and almost 13,000 views. I believe that is a record for any racing topic on the racing-forum. There are sometimes slow periods but the "real" racing fans keep coming back to the topic and keeping it alive. For the newbies, the object is to play the game and learn a little about NASCAR while doing so.

Even the oldtimers can learn something about Nascar. :)

Let someone else have a go if they want to, muggle.
We'll sit back and see what they can come up with.

I'll go for ya boB. How ya doing by the way?
Hope this hasn't been asked before..

What superspeedway held the first NASCAR race under the lights?

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. Not quite as lively as some of the others, but usually more mature and better conversations.

As far as track lighting at a Superspeedway, wouldn't that be Charlotte? Seems to me that The Winston was the first race run under the lights and wasn't that the year that Davey won it and wrecked as he was taking the checkers?

Davey and Kyle Petty got together that night and Davey smacked the wall, knocked him out too. But, that's not the answer I'm looking for boB, sorry. Langhorne (sp?) was lighted, but they never ran a Grand National/Cup race under the lights. Believe some Mod races ended under the lights though.

Hint: This track was a one mile paved oval.

Another hint: This was the second superspeedway for NASCAR, Darlington being the first.

The track was in Raleigh NC. Not to be confused with the dirt track that is also in Raleigh at the State Fairgrounds.

I will attempt to get the Trivia back on track again. Who was the first female driver to finish a race in the top 10 and at what track.

Speaking of 1949, who took the checkered flag at the first official Strictly Stock (now Cup) race held at Charlotte NC?

Glenn Dunnaway won the race with his 1947 Ford, but was declared illegal because of a modification of the rear springs (Dunnaway used his car to carry moonshine). Jim Roper pocketed the $5000 with his Mercury 1949.

doh i should have read this and tried to answer....this race was held just a few miles from where im typing this message right now ;)

Correct Bobby Ford. Dunnaway took the checkered flag. Believe the car was owned by Hubert Westmoreland.

Your turn.

BobbyFord said:
Glenn Dunnaway won the race with his 1947 Ford, but was declared illegal because of a modification of the rear springs (Dunnaway used his car to carry moonshine). Jim Roper pocketed the $5000 with his Mercury 1949.
It is your go BobbyFord.

1988 Winston Cup Champion Bill Elliott has 44 race wins.
How many of those 44 race wins did he get as an owner/driver ?

Yelk, I believe you are right about that, but my question to you, since I think you are very knowledgeable on this is, was he driving for Melling when he won his first race at Riverside? I was thinking that he was driving the family owned car then and hadn't hooked up with Melling just yet.

Believe Harry Melling was the owner for Bill's first win at Riverside. When Bill first started driving in Cup, his father George, was listed as the owner.

That pretty much clears that up. Thanks and now you've got a question to ask, that is if muggle okays your answer.

Back
Top Bottom