Yelk said:
zero wins as an owner/driver.
You are correct Yelk and it is your go.
These are bill's numbers, I believe I have them correct:

Bill Elliott won 34 races in the #9 Coors Light/Harry Melling Ford 1985-1991
Bill Elliott won 6 races in the #11 Budweiser/ Junior Johnson Ford 1992-1994
Bill Elliott won 0 races in the #94 McDonald’s/Bill Elliott Ford 1995-2000
Bill Elliott won 4 races in the #9 Dodge Dealers/Ray Evernham Dodge 2001-2003

Both AJ Foyt and Mario Andretti drove both NASCAR and Indy cars, but for some reason, I don't think it's either of them. Could it possibly be Mark Donahue?

Paul Goldsmith drove in the Indy 500 in either the late sixties or early seventies.

I recently read an article on the history of NASCAR during the fifties and it mentioned Marshall Teague driving in the 500, although there was more to the story.

It was indeed Paul Goldsmith, he ran at Indy in 58.59 and60. WTG Whizzer and Sassy.

Whizzer, it's your turn to ask another question since you were first to answer.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but Goldsmith was not the first NASCAR driver to race at Indy.

As near as I can find, that honor rests with a fellow by the name of Al Keller, who also won the first Grand National road race at Linden, NJ in a Jaguar XK 120 coupe on June 13,1954. Keller had also won on the oval at Savanah, Ga. the previous March.

Keller raced with NASCAR, AAA, USAC and other sanctions, with quite a bit of success, until he was killed in a Champ car accident.

Al Keller and Marshall Teague both began racing in the fledging NASCAR series in 1949. Teague was the first treasurer of the organization, and in 1952, for unknown reasons, had a falling out with Bill France, Sr., leaving the NASCAR series.
Teague began to drive Champ-Indy cars and competed in the Indy 500 in 1953, two years before Al Keller. Since Teague was not an active driver in NASCAR at the time and Keller was, leaving the question open as to who was the first active NASCAR driver to race in the Indy 500, a question ???
It could be Teague as the first driver but Teague was not active in NAASCAR at the time he entered his first Indy 500. It could be interpreted to be Keller as he was still actively participating in NASCAR racing in 1955 when he entered and ran the Indy 500.
Teague did not participate in both series the same year he raced at Indy.

Sassy said:
Was it Marshall Teague?

As best my research can tell, yes it was Marshall Teague. Teague was testing a Champ car with the idea of setting a closed course record speed when he crashed.

boB, Whizzer, thanks for pointing this out. Didn't mean to put out some bumb info everyone. As you can tell I didn't research the question I asked, but relied on my feable old mind.

I guess me. I don't even own a trivia book but I'll be back in a little bit with a question.

I believe that Ray Hendrick is first on the all-time winners list at Martinsville with 20 wins, followed by Richard Petty with 15.

When I went looking for this information, I also found that Charlotte's claim of holding the first NASCAR race is pure B.S. They did hold the first Strictly Stock race at the old fairgrounds, but NASCAR had been sanctioning races for over a year before that event was held, including events at Martinsville. Wasn't the first race at some long forgotten dirt track in Florida? or on the old beach/road course at Daytona?

And why do so many folks think that the NEXTEL CUP series is NASCAR? There's lots more to the organization than the top three tier series.

Maybe a bunch of fans too lazy to bother finding out what they're really fans of?

Enough ramble already.

Have a nice weekend!

Where I got my information from, the answer would be Richard Petty with 15 wins. The site had listed that Ray Hendrick only raced there four times with no wins and only one top-10 finish but it could be wrong. Do you all want the link?

boB said:
I believe that Ray Hendrick is first on the all-time winners list at Martinsville with 20 wins, followed by Richard Petty with 15.

When I went looking for this information, I also found that Charlotte's claim of holding the first NASCAR race is pure B.S. They did hold the first Strictly Stock race at the old fairgrounds, but NASCAR had been sanctioning races for over a year before that event was held, including events at Martinsville. Wasn't the first race at some long forgotten dirt track in Florida? or on the old beach/road course at Daytona?

And why do so many folks think that the NEXTEL CUP series is NASCAR? There's lots more to the organization than the top three tier series.

Maybe a bunch of fans too lazy to bother finding out what they're really fans of?

Enough ramble already.

Have a nice weekend!

Edit: boB, don't forget these trivia questions are limited to Cup only! LOL

boB (of course you know this), NASCAR sanctioned the modifieds in 1948 with Red Byron being the first champion, so you can say Red was the first NASCAR two time champion. As for Strictly Stock, and exibition race was held somewhere in Fl (I believe) and I think one of the Flock brothers (maybe Bob) won it, before the first offical Strictly Stock race. Disclaimer...this is off the top of my head and I could be wrong.
As for the folks that think NASCAR is Cup is they don't know any better. Mostly, they got into racing because it is the "in thing" or a fad.

I feel your pain boB and know where you're coming from.

Enough of my rambling too.

Sorry 'bout that!

I wasn't thinking about just the top series being the only one considered here.
With that said, the fact remains that Ray still has five more wins at Martinsville than anyone else.

Sassy, Ray was one of the best in his day. That was at a time when a guy could race in the mods and make as good a living, if not better than, he could in the Grand Nationals.
I don't think anyone knows exactly how many wins Ray had, but there's a whole bunch of 'em during his career.

Geoff Bodine is credited with the most mod wins in a single season, but I'd be willing to bet that some serious research would find Ray had him beat.

Anyhow, according to the rules of the game here, I have to agree that Richard Petty is the correct answer.

Should be an easy one. Who was on the Pole for the "first' Brickyard 400.

Whizzer said:
Rick Mast
And we have a winner. Your go whizzer.

hey, we are getting close to 1000 posts and on the way to 15,000 "views".

What brand and in what year did the last car not manufactured by the "big three", compete. As a bonus, do you know who the driver was ???

The car should be the Matador, what year 1978 and the driver...Jocko Maggackomo (sp?)

Sorry Racer8, just got back from Myrtle Beach. Nice weekend by the way.
1992 is not correct.

not 1985
Hint...Micheal Ritch, rear tire changer for Bill Elliott was killed on pit road when Ricky Rudd lost control coming in and hit him.

Back
Top Bottom