Nascar Trivia

It was Earnhardt's pit crew back in the late 80's and early 90's...Chocolate Myers, Kirk Shelmerdine, Andy Petree (crew chief) and I forget the rest. They won the pit crew challenge several years in a row..

The last top-level NASCAR race run on dirt was at the North Carolina State Fairground in Raleigh, NC, September 20, 1970. Who won the race?

What driver was know as "Pops"? It wasn't because of his age, but if you were in his way, he'd "pop" you out of the way.

The answer; the driver of the # 26 Ford in the days when they raced convertibles. Bill France ,Sr. tried everything didn't he ????? And no, I did not mean the driver known as "Pops" was Bill France, Sr..

Whizzer said:
The answer; the driver of the # 26 Ford in the days when they raced convertibles. Bill France ,Sr. tried everything didn't he ????? And no, I did not mean the driver known as "Pops" was Bill France, Sr..

Ok Whizzer, seems like no one else will answer, so tell us who it is.

Yelk said:
Ok Whizzer, seems like no one else will answer, so tell us who it is.

I already did tell ya, Yelk !!!!! The driver of the #26 Ford convertible, the #41 Buick in the innaugural NASCAR race at Charlotte held June 19, 1949, won by Jim Roper of Halstead, Kansas, driving a big, bad, Lincoln !!!!! Yep !! Ole Curtis "Pops" Turner finished ninth that day driving a 1946 Buick.

The days of "run whatcha brung"!!!!!!!!!!

No, not Junior Johnson.

CLUE ........The driver had won three championships but just chose not to take the one million dollar deal offered to run for the 1982 championship.

Sorry folks, but my memory slipped outa gear and timing was off. Made a trip to Portland, Indiana to a tractor swap and just got back late last night. While wandering over previously untraveled highways of West Virginia Sunday afternoon, remembered I left the forum hanging with the question and no answer.

Most sincere apology !!!!!!! :)

The correct answer is, Cale Yarborough. Cale was driving a part time schedule for M.C. Anderson, a wealthy businessman who wanted one thing, to win the NASCAR Championship and in 1981, Anderson made Cale the one million dollar bonus offer, to race for the Winston Cup Championship in 1982.

BUT.............. there is more to the story. Cale was impressed with the offer, as one million dollars was a very large sum of money at the time.
When Cale told his family of the offer, his daughter asked if it meant he had to race every race and be away from home all the time. Cale answered "yes" and his daughter told him she didn't care about the money. Cale made his decision right then, chosing to refuse the offer.
Upon hearing Cale's refusal, Anderson ran a part time schedule in 1982, and sold his team.

Back
Top Bottom