Nascar Trivia

*sigh*.... Kat says Muggle should rule as it's MUGGLE'S THREAD!
Please, no more bickering! :D

If challenged on a question, one person's memory will not take preference over another person's memory. I was about to rule in MultiMatic's favor as he provided some evidence that his answer was correct. However, Yelk then showed evidence that Bodine may have been the driver to introduce power steering to Cup. I have also done a "little" investigating and to the best of my knowledge it does appear that G. Bodine is credited for introducing power steering to Cup racing. Since the question is now 'moot" as the answer has been given I think it would be fair to let MultiMatic ask the next question.

http://www.racerock.com/racerock/geoff.html

"Geoffrey Bodine's name is legend in Modifieds. He had an incredible 55 wins in 84 starts while driving for Dick Armstrong in 1978. Since being named Rookie of the Year in 1982, Bodine has collected 18 Winston Cup victories, including the 1986 Daytona 500, and 37 poles. He also won the International Race of Champions title in 1987 and pioneered the introduction of power steering and full-face helmets into Winston Cup racing".

That was a great question Yelk and to lend cred to your side my father raced modifieds against Bodine through most of the 70s twice a week at Lancaster and Fulton Speedways . My dad , Billy Rafter, Dutch Hoag Geoff Bodine and most the top guys all used power steering back then because with big blocks and 17 inch tires it took all you had to steer those beasts around a short track so Geoff had lots of experince with power steering when he got to Cup.

Next Question .

Who was the first driver to win a NASCAR race with Goodyear tires ?

Goodyear's first big test against Firestone: At the NASCAR Darlington event, driver Jim Reed finishes first with a record speed -- on Goodyear tires

GOOGLE Search results

Correct . I see I am going to have to make them alot harder , your turn .

Correct . I see I am going to have to make them alot harder , your turn .

no problem. however, the object of the Trivia is not necessarily to stump someone but for everyone to learn Nascar facts that we didn't previously know....and to have fun while doing it. :)

And, it is Kat's turn.

1952 Grand National Race
Stamford Park Race Track, near Niagara Falls, was the site of Canada's first NASCAR race on July 1, 1952. Stamford was a flat, half-mile dirt horse track that occasionaly ran stock car races beginning in 1948. About 4,000 fans were on hand to see the 100 lap event. Buddy Shuman, from Charlotte, NC, driving a Hudson Hornet won the race by 2 laps over second place finisher Herb Thomas. Shuman took the lead on lap 71 and led the remaining laps. Seventeen cars started the race but the rough track caused high attrition with only 6 drivers finishing. Admission was $1.75 for the event.

Multi, I was talking abour "The Modern Era", but I condede as you are correct in the grand sceme of Nascar.

Your turn.:beerbang:

Pardon my intrusion here, but I've very curious here. MultiMatic, you have shown some knowledge of the past that seems to be dead of late. May I ask where you are from and you history? I do believe that from what I've seen, I'd love to sit down and talk to you...along with so many others here, like my old pal Whizzer. I do believe that I'm seeing some old vets that are of an era that I admire.

Buck check your PM

Next Question

There is a bar in the roll cage of every Cup car that is named after the driver who first put it in before NASCAR madated it . Who is the driver and where is the bar ?

I am guessing two part questions are frowned on here but it goes hand in hand in this case I think .

Buck check your PM

Next Question

There is a bar in the roll cage of every Cup car that is named after the driver who first put it in before NASCAR madated it . Who is the driver and where is the bar ?

I am guessing two part questions are frowned on here but it goes hand in hand in this case I think .
Two part questions are frowned upon, however, in some cases like the one posted by you they go hand-in-hand and are OK.

Thanx muggles .

heres a hint . this is an obvious bar in the cage that everyone here has seen .

It seems this question is stale .

The Petty Bar is the bar to the right of the driver that originates in the center of the cars roll over hoop and goes to where the passengers feet would be in a passenger car. In the early 60s when the conventional thinking was to get rid of everthing you didnt have to have and to run a bare perimeter cage Petty started to add bars that were not mandated by the rules (add weight)

This bar is mentioned in rule books to this day as the Petty Bar.

Maybe this will be more interesting ?

This winning owner came to NASCAR with alot of new ideas and was greeted with alot of hostility from the Red Necks . If you think being pushed by one of Evernhams crew is bad , how would you feel about beer bottles and rocks being thrown at you after several wins ? NASCAR did not like him either and teched his cars harder then all the other teams.

Who was the owner ?

NO it was not Jack Roush.

In 1978 you had to have one of these if you wanted to win a Cup race .
What was it ?

ANSWER a Banjo Matthews car .

The winning car for all 30 races were built by Banjo inc . Skinned as Fords Mercurys Olsmobiles Chevs they all came from Banjo a record I dont think will ever be matched .

An interesting side note Petty Enterprizes resisted the buying of cars from outside suppliers all through the 78 season in which Richard went winless . Petty ordered all brand new Banjo cars for the 79 season and won 4 races and the championship .

Next Question

This car maker who got their start building Conastoga wagons in the early 1800s went on to race in NASCAR for five seasons and won 4 races . Who was it ?

That one I had to think about for a good while . But the answer is they are all numbers that Derrike Cope has raced in Nascar with .

Since fun in my z seems to be MIA from this thread for 4 or 5 days and I am as about as sure of my answer as I am about my birth date I will ask another question shortly unless someone tells me other wise.

Back
Top Bottom