Nascar Trivia

Well Smoke went twice as far at Daytona as Cale. He was able to complete 2 laps before his engine blew where Cale's engine blew on the 1st lap. Both finished last for the race.

Well Smoke went twice as far at Daytona as Cale. He was able to complete 2 laps before his engine blew where Cale's engine blew on the 1st lap. Both finished last for the race.

You are correct and I like the new picture.

Who am I?

OK, now for a question...
This driver was SCCA Trans Am Rookie of the year. He won 2 Trans Am Championships before he moved straight to Cup racing. At that time he was the youngest Trans Am Champion.
He raced at the Cup level for 11 years with 226 starts. He had 0 wins and led a total of 74 laps.
After his Cup career was over he raced in the Busch series for 4 years with 16 starts, 0 wins and 0 laps led.
He has won the 24 Hours of Daytona 4 times and the 12 Hours of Sebring 3 times.

That should be enough that his name quickly leaps to everyone's lips. But, for 1 last hint - he won the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.

negative.
He has the Daytona championships but he doesn't have the number of starts in Cup or Busch. Besides he has 3 Trans Am championships. That's 1 too many.

He only raced 1 Busch race and it was during his Cup time. This racer moved down to Busch after his Cup career.

He was called up to Winston Cup to replace Rich Vogler, who had been killed at a wreck at Salem Speedway. He had four starts in Cup that year with his best finish being 22nd. In fourteen years and 305 races, he never won a Cup race. Who was he?

He was called up to Winston Cup to replace Rich Vogler, who had been killed at a wreck at Salem Speedway. He had four starts in Cup that year with his best finish being 22nd. In fourteen years and 305 races, he never won a Cup race. Who was he?

J.D. McDuffy?

I think I found it: Ted Musgrave

The first race at Darlington Raceway was the 1950 Southern 500. It was won by Johnny Mantz. What was interesting about his win?

He won it while masturbating. I give up. You have made me feel as stupid as I am. I gotta get up early and take my son to the doctor. Good night.

He mounted truck-originated tires, rubber vastly harder than what anyone else was running. By halfway, he was laps ahead of everyone else.

Mantz was slow in time, but everyone tore up their tires and Mantz rode around and won the race.

Qualifying took fifteen days.

;) And just to set the record straight, in retirement, Johnny Mantz relocated to the Gulf coast of Florida where he worked on charter fishing boats. ;)
Mantz greatly enjoyed his work and strived to be successful, serving a four year apprenticeship baiting hooks for novice vacationers. Mantz was so successful in this effort, he became a master baiter.
;)

He mounted truck-originated tires, rubber vastly harder than what anyone else was running. By halfway, he was laps ahead of everyone else.

Mantz was slow in time, but everyone tore up their tires and Mantz rode around and won the race.

Mantz knew that the soft tires that most of the other competitors would use would tear up quickly on the asphalt; Mantz used heavy truck tires, which made him much slower, but he never had to change the tires, saving several minutes per pit stop

What I was actually looking for is that he drove the whole race on one set of tires. Yours is close enough.

Holey crap. I read that somewhere last night but payed no attention to it.

Your go JG24. TKJ24 confirmed your answer.

Including the pre-modern era, what is the largest margin of victory in the championship standings? Who was the driver and what year was it?

Back
Top Bottom