Nascar Trivia

Correct you are. The Park is no longer there,but it is right up the road from me. If I memory serves me well, SST55 was a participant in that race:growl:

unfortunetly I couldn't find the winner of the race

unfortunetly I couldn't find the winner of the race
There were five entrants in addition to Duryea: 2 electric cars and 3 gasoline-powered Benz machines imported from Germany. The race started in the early morning in snowy conditions. A little over 10 hours later, Frank Duryea was the first to cross the finish line having survived a journey punctured by numerous breakdowns and repairs. He had averaged 7.3 miles per hour and took home a prize of $2,000 ($49,500 in today's money).

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/duryea.htm

There were five entrants in addition to Duryea: 2 electric cars and 3 gasoline-powered Benz machines imported from Germany. The race started in the early morning in snowy conditions. A little over 10 hours later, Frank Duryea was the first to cross the finish line having survived a journey punctured by numerous breakdowns and repairs. He had averaged 7.3 miles per hour and took home a prize of $2,000 ($49,500 in today's money).

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/duryea.htm

Thats a different race though it was on the streets, he was talking about one in Rhode Island. Though this article is interesting.

If I may pick this back up. I think a decent one just popped into mind. It'll be another multi-parter.

Lowe's has developed a strong partnership with Hendrick and Johnson, but when did they first appear as a primary sponsor on a Cup Series car? I'm looking for a year, team, and driver.

Lets see if we can get this going one more time.

Seeing thats its been months since someone posted a question I will try to start it again.
Who won the 1949 Nascar cup championship and what brand car did he drive?

Seeing thats its been months since someone posted a question I will try to start it again.
Who won the 1949 Nascar cup championship and what brand car did he drive?
Red Byron and he drove raymond Parks' Old 88. I might be wrong but I think that 49 Olds and the 49 Caddie were the only V8 OHV engined cars which ran in any of the 1949 races?

You got it John great job now you ask the next question.:beerbang:
OK... Here goes:
What was the name of the first race driver to meet his death while driving on the 2½-mile Daytona International Speedway track? Extra points if you know the date and tell us something about his car.

OK... Here goes:
What was the name of the first race driver to meet his death while driving on the 2½-mile Daytona International Speedway track? Extra points if you know the date and tell us something about his car.

From all the reading I've done about him, I'm fairly certain it was Marshall Teague when he was going for the closed course speed record. I can picture the car in my mind, but I couldn't tell you anything about it without looking something up (which I make a personal effort not to do with these :)). Date escapes me as well. I'll have to take an O-fer on the bonus points.

From all the reading I've done about him, I'm fairly certain it was Marshall Teague when he was going for the closed course speed record. I can picture the car in my mind, but I couldn't tell you anything about it without looking something up (which I make a personal effort not to do with these :)). Date escapes me as well. I'll have to take an O-fer on the bonus points.
Correct. He was going for a closed circuit speed record that was held by Tony Bettenhausen at Monza the year before. Marshall and Jim Rathman were both there trying to break the record. Teague was in a modified Chapman-Root Kurtis chassis Sumar Special with aerodynamic fenders and a ****pit cover. They entered basically the same car at Indy in 1955 but had to remove the fenders and ****pit. http://champcars.blogspot.com/2005/07/sumar-special-streamliner.html
Teague clocked a lap at 160 when he got light and went airborne out of T2 and the car flipped and rolled almost the entire length of the backstretch. His seat separated from the chassis and Teague stayed buckled in. He was recovered about 150 feet beyond where the car came to a rest. He was DOA at the hospital. The cause was determined to be the car's being too light for the transition off the turns at the track and it just began to fly.
I wasn't there but this is from Feb 12 edition of the Indianapolis Star.

teague1.gif

After a google search, I came across this photo, which the website claims is the very car Teague met his demise in.

I'll keep it going. I had to dig a little to come up with this one. When was the most recent instance of a driver and owner (who are not the same person) earning their first and only Cup win together? Who were they?

Brad Keslowski and James Finch

Brad Keslowski and James Finch

That certainly didn't last long. You got it.

I was hoping to catch somebody going for Ridley and Donlavey, since Keselowski is with Penske now. You avoided the trap.

Since nobody else will go.

What was Jeff Gordons first sponsor in NASCAR?

Correct, sorry to take so long getting back.

Dupont was his first Cup sponsor, As far as the Busch series goes, it turns out I was wrong. From his Wiki:

Busch Series career

In 1990 Gordon met Hugh Connerty, who owned some Hooters restaurants and was also a partner in Outback Steakhouse. Connerty secured some sponsorship for a car through Outback, and they tested for the last few Busch Grand National races left 1990. Ray Evernham was called in to work with Jeff in his stock car debut. His first Busch race came on October 20, 1990 at Rockingham in the AC-Delco 200. Gordon drove the #67 Outback Steakhouse Pontiac for Connerty. Gordon ran the second fastest lap during qualifying and started on the outside of the front row of the field. Gordon would however, get involved in a wreck on lap 33. He ended up with a 39th place finish.

In 1991 and 1992, Gordon went on to the Busch Series driving Ford Thunderbirds for Bill Davis Racing. In his first year as a Busch driver he won rookie of the year. In 1992, Gordon set a NASCAR record by capturing 11 poles in one season. His time with Bill Davis racing introduced Gordon to Ray Evernham as his crew chief. He was sponsored by Carolina Ford Dealers in 1991 and Baby Ruth in 1992.

Oh, well, here goes:

What nickname was Jimmy Horton given after his car tumbled out of Talladega in 1993? The nickname was put on his racing helmet for his next race.

My question will be pretty easy.

Dale Inman won seven cup titles with Richard Petty. He won also won an eighth title, with what driver and what year was it?

I like this game but it's been idle for 2 months. So, I am gonna start it off with a softball question.
It's a two-parter regarding Paul "Daddy's Money" Menard.

Without looking it up (I did, BTW :p) tell us:

Which car owners he has driven for in his CUP career? (easy)

and

How many CUP starts has he had in his career? (maybe not quite as easy)

Bonus Question: Which active CUP driver said the following about Menard:

"You can have your father buy your ride and write (the car owner) a big check, but you can't buy talent. And that's what John Menard's been good at his whole life, is just buying success. He's bought his son a Cup ride and he's just got enough talent to just be in the way most of the time."

Question 1 is easy Tony Stewart
Question 2 I cant tell you without cheating
Bonus Im not sure but id guess Kyle Busch

Sorry, but you missed #1 and #3.

Feel free to try again!

#1: He has driven for 4 different organizations in CUP.
#3: It wasn't Pee Wee but I can see why you might say that.

BTW, he has 171 starts including Bristol yesterday (with 1 famous win).

I think Menards Cup car owners have been: DEI, Robert Yates, Richard Petty & now Richard Childress. Don't know who said those things about his dad's money & his driving talent but it sounds like something either Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart would say...

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!

It was Tony who said that about Daddy's Money. And you are correct on his team affiliations, although it could be argued that the Yates/Petty deal only counts as one since the two teams merged. I still consider it four...

WTG, RPK! :beerbang:

Next trivia question is yours!

I'll make this easy, almost 30 years ago Burt Reynolds decided to give ownership of a Cup team a try. With that he became a 50% owner of a team whose sponsor carried his name from the black Pontiac movies, here's the question without looking it up, who was the other owner of that team?

I'm sure I should know this - but I don't.

*google, here I come*

I knew the car and driver - just couldn't remember the partner. D'OH! ;-}

Burt Reynolds and Hal Needham where 50/50 owners in the Bandit Racing Team.

U got it Flash...

After teaming up to do the "Smokey & The Bandit" & "Cannonball Run" movies, they decided to go into the NASCAR ownership arena with Harry Gant behind the wheel...

Okay! This question is on one of the most famous pictures in NASCAR history.
The date is July 4th 1984 the place Daytona Beach Florida. Richard Pettys famous red & blue #43 is going down the superstretch and Airforce 1 is landing in the background with then President Reagan aboard, I'm sure you've seen the pic.
Two part question:

Part one: Who Won the race and how many races had he Won at that point?

Part two: Who was leading the race at the time the picture was taken?

Back
Top Bottom