Nascar Trivia

No, I don't have a question... I was commenting on the previous question and answer. It's DP's turn to pose a question, ain't it?? :D

Okay I'll throw out another of my patented EASY BUTTON Questions.

Seeings how Jeff Burtons in the news for picking up Wheaties as a partial sponsor lets see if you can name Ten NASCAR drivers who have been on the Wheaties box.
Bonus points for naming the First NASCAR driver/team/race that Wheaties appeared as a car sponsor.

Disclaimerbonus points don't really add up to nothing and as far as I know there's no points being awarded whatsoever in this game so smile and maybe I'll send a fake beer your way.

Earnhardt Sr, Super Tex Foyt, Kyle Busch, Bill Elliott, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Lee Petty, Richard Petty, Darrell Waltrip, & Cale Yarborough. Earnhardt Sr was first back in 1997, he drove a Wheaties sponsored car in The Winston which was won by Micheal Waltrip. It was the first time the younger Waltrip won any kind of NASCAR Winston Cup event.

2 hrs 47 minutes! :D I really liked the Big Orange #3 Wheatie car one of my Favorite Earnhardt paint jobs!

Congrats to Restrictor Plate King!!!

Since it's been more than a month without a new question being asked I'll put a new one out there.....

What do Benny Parsons, Bill Rexford, Ned Jarrett & Matt Kenseth all have in common? Be specific.

All four of them each managed to Win a NASCAR Cup Championship while only Winning one race that season.

Bill Rexford 1950
Ned Jarrett 1961
Benny Parsons 1973
Matt Kenseth 2003

All four of them each managed to Win a NASCAR Cup Championship while only Winning one race that season.

Bill Rexford 1950
Ned Jarrett 1961
Benny Parsons 1973
Matt Kenseth 2003

Well done. :beerbang:

And..... we may just be adding to that list next week.

You are up!

OK, here's one for y'all. It may be too easy but WTF. It's a 2-parter.

Part One:

Tony Stewart's partner, Gene Haas was sentenced to prison for what crime?

Part Two:

What 2 CUP drivers did Haas CNC Racing employ in 2008? *hint* One of them is currently in trouble with the law and the other was a CUP part-timer in 2011.

OK, here's one for y'all. It may be too easy but WTF. It's a 2-parter.

Part One:

Tony Stewart's partner, Gene Haas was sentenced to prison for what crime?

Part Two:

What 2 CUP drivers did Haas CNC Racing employ in 2008? *hint* One of them is currently in trouble with the law and the other was a CUP part-timer in 2011.
Part1 Tax Fraud. I'm thinking that there were multiple charges but I believe that they all revolved around his cheating on Federal Income Tax.
Part 2 He had three drivers that I can think of drive for him back then, Scott Riggs, Tony Raines and Johnny Sauter. Raines is probably the PT SP'er you refer to but as for having trouble with the law? It must be Mayfield but I honestly don't remember him driving for Haas, but I've slept since then, too...

I think we can call that a win!

Part One is correct. (That was easy)

Part Two is Mayfield and Scott Riggs

Good job, John.

OK, I'll try one but this one might give some of you a bit of trouble...

Q: When and where was the first recorded use of driver/crew two-way radio communications in a NASCAR race?

Hints:
This dates back to before many of you were born.
Here is a link which gives some info which puts the time frame into perspective BUT, in respect to my question, is incorrect. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-racing/nascar/jobs/nascar-driver-communicate1.htm

Happy hunting.

I thought this one might have been too tough.

Answer: 9 FEB 1952, in a 125-mile Modified-Sportsman race on the old beach-road course.
Forty Years of Stock Car Racing, Vol I, 1952, page 60

"Drivers and car owners began experimenting with two-way radios. Driver Al Stevens of Odenburg, MD, who operated a radio dispatched wrecking service, figured out a way he could turn his trade into an advantage on the enormous 4.1-mile race course. Stevens stationed two automobiles, each equipped with two-way radios, one the course, one at the North end of the beachfront facility and the other at the South end. Another two-way radio was in the pits with car owner Cotton Bennett. Each radio operator could communicate with Stevens as he drove the race.
Stevens, driving a '37 Ford Sportsman car, finished third in his class and 27th overall in the 97-car field. He said the radio hook-up assisted him tremendously in avert spin-outs and pile-ups in the turns where the cars often bogged down in the sand."

Hope you don't mind John butt I'm going to toss in an easy one.

Richard Petty is very well known as The King, what was his nickname early in his career?

Hope you don't mind John butt I'm going to toss in an easy one.

Richard Petty is very well known as The King, what was his nickname early in his career?

I didn't know the answer so I cheated.

"They had a couple of guys from California that came back here and run, and I had just started,'' said Petty, who made his debut in 1958. "I was pretty squirrelly. I was all over the race track. The nickname came from California. These California boys started calling me Squirrel because that's what anybody that was out of control like I was, they called a squirrel, so I just took it up and just wrote it on the side of my car.''

How fitting that "KING"Glamis knows that The King was known as "Squirrel", he even had it on the roof for awhile. I did'nt know it came from the westcoast boys!
Thanks KG, your deal!

Name three Cup drivers that have ran the number 24. Two are very famous in NASCAR and one of them only used the number for one race (even though he wanted it to be his full time number).

Well there's Jeff Gordon he's kinda famous, then Cecil Gordon who raced the 24 in the 70's early 80's .........gonna have to think about the third one :confused:

I knew the first two would be easy. I'm off to work. I'll check for answers tonight.

Anyone? If nobody gets it right by tomorrow morning I will give the answer and pass along the next question to Flash.

Name three Cup drivers that have ran the number 24. Two are very famous in NASCAR and one of them only used the number for one race (even though he wanted it to be his full time number).

There are a lot more than three drivers that have run the 24 number.
Among others...,
Jeff Gordon
Cecil Gordon
Butch Gilliland
Kenny Wallace
Dick Trickle
Dorsey Schroeder
Jimmy Hensley
Mickey Gibbs
Trevor Boys
Buddie Boys
Morgan Shepherd
J.D. McDuffie
Lake Speed

There are a lot more than three drivers that have run the 24 number.
Among others...,
Jeff Gordon
Cecil Gordon
Butch Gilliland
Kenny Wallace
Dick Trickle
Dorsey Schroeder
Jimmy Hensley
Mickey Gibbs
Trevor Boys
Buddie Boys
Morgan Shepherd
J.D. McDuffie
Lake Speed

Thanks for the obvious, but none of the drivers you listed are the key to this trivia question. Please try again.

I'll give a hint. 42.

Thanks for the obvious, but none of the drivers you listed are the key to this trivia question. Please try again.

I'll give a hint. 42.

The question was,
"Name three Cup drivers that have ran the number 24. Two are very famous in NASCAR and one of them only used the number for one race (even though he wanted it to be his full time number)."
I believe I named (at least) three.

"Name three Cup drivers that have ran the number 24. Two are very famous in NASCAR and one of them only used the number for one race"

The question is looking for three Specific Cup Drivers two famous and one that only used the number one race. It's not just any three of the many that drove the #24.

Perhaps the question should have been rephrased.
Approximately 16 different drivers have driven the #24 car one time in a season since 1975.

Here ya go...

When Petty began driving for Petty Enterprises in the summer of 1958, the lanky 21-year old from Randleman, N.C. had a number in mind.

Since his father, three-time NASCAR champion Lee Petty, drove the No. 42, the only thing to do was to reverse the number to 24.

That plan was great until the younger Petty discovered that Jimmie Lewellen, Jerry Green and Larry Frank had been sharing it at various race tracks.

Petty used 24 once in 1959, but generally stuck with 43 the remainder of his career. On occasion, he ran 41 and 42 after his father retired from driving.

Brett Bodine drove a Lowe's sponsored Ford Thunderbird #11 for Junior Johnson back in like 1995, it was Johnson's final season as a Cup team owner.

Those dangerous, devious midnight rides back when it all began are still vivid in his mind, alive as ever, as if it were just minutes ago that he was running moonshine through the Carolina darkness, lead-footing it away from the flashing red lights of the revenuers. The original JJ—Junior Johnson, now 80, still the most iconic figure in NASCAR history—is the last remaining link between racing's outlaw past (he began hauling 'shine at 14) and its corporate present. (He personally convinced Jim Lowe, the owner of Lowe's, to enter the sport in 1955 and sponsor his car; Lowe's now backs that other JJ.) Yes, Junior Johnson is old school NASCAR personified, gritty and hard, and on this summer day he steers his 2002 black Chevy pickup through the green hills and hollows outside of Wilkesboro, N.C., where American stock car racing was born with the moonshine runners in the 1940s.

Those dangerous, devious midnight rides back when it all began are still vivid in his mind, alive as ever, as if it were just minutes ago that he was running moonshine through the Carolina darkness, lead-footing it away from the flashing red lights of the revenuers. The original JJ—Junior Johnson, now 80, still the most iconic figure in NASCAR history—is the last remaining link between racing's outlaw past (he began hauling 'shine at 14) and its corporate present. (He personally convinced Jim Lowe, the owner of Lowe's, to enter the sport in 1955 and sponsor his car; Lowe's now backs that other JJ.) Yes, Junior Johnson is old school NASCAR personified, gritty and hard, and on this summer day he steers his 2002 black Chevy pickup through the green hills and hollows outside of Wilkesboro, N.C., where American stock car racing was born with the moonshine runners in the 1940s.

do i

Back
Top Bottom