NBCSN going away?

I don't follow his logic there, and I think he's wrong. But that's just me. The NHL isn't primarily a Sunday afternoon venture, is it?

I think the latter 60% of the NASCAR season, if they continue to split it roughly the way they have, remains the package that is far more in play and would keep switching hands. I see Fox being content with the post-NFL slate of NASCAR they have, and I doubt anyone else is motivated to overpay to take it from them.
Yeah I always like to look at certain things..On this one, I see a pay me to read, in the slowest part of the year quoting "reliable sources"

Some people cant admit when they are wrong and Brian actually did a great job on that deal.

If the ONLY thing you are concerned about is extracting the last dollar from the networks, and your sport is at it's peak of popularity and influence, it doesn't take a ton of talent to cut that deal. I would have taken less money to get a deal done with ESPN/ABC and made sure my sport was getting talked about umpteen time a day of Sports Center, get the maximum number of races on network TV and the rest on what was probably the most widespread cable channel there is, and where people go when they are looking for sports content. NASCAR has consistently been dumped off onto lesser channels to use the loyal NASCAR fans to build up ratings on those channels. If you are NASCAR, you want to be on channels where their viewership is being brought to YOU. This doesn't begin to touch the issue of where NASCAR goes if the networks decide they are no longer interested in signing a big TV deal. (a distinct possibility). Had they developed their own network two decades ago, they could have gotten well established in prime positions on cable networks and built up the structure that would have helped then jump into the streaming realm rather easily. If the are forced to develop all of that capability NOW, they will definitely be playing from behind and they will be doing it with far fewer sponsorship dollars and about a third of the fan base they had in 2000. Sure those TV contract brought in huge amounts of money, but basically all it did was make the France family even richer and send the sport down an unsustainable growth curve. Now here we are 20 years later, trying desperately to put the cost genie back in the bottle and trying to sell reduced expectations to corporate America.

If the ONLY thing you are concerned about is extracting the last dollar from the networks, and your sport is at it's peak of popularity and influence, it doesn't take a ton of talent to cut that deal. I would have taken less money to get a deal done with ESPN/ABC and made sure my sport was getting talked about umpteen time a day of Sports Center, get the maximum number of races on network TV and the rest on what was probably the most widespread cable channel there is, and where people go when they are looking for sports content. NASCAR has consistently been dumped off onto lesser channels to use the loyal NASCAR fans to build up ratings on those channels. If you are NASCAR, you want to be on channels where their viewership is being brought to YOU. This doesn't begin to touch the issue of where NASCAR goes if the networks decide they are no longer interested in signing a big TV deal. (a distinct possibility). Had they developed their own network two decades ago, they could have gotten well established in prime positions on cable networks and built up the structure that would have helped then jump into the streaming realm rather easily. If the are forced to develop all of that capability NOW, they will definitely be playing from behind and they will be doing it with far fewer sponsorship dollars and about a third of the fan base they had in 2000. Sure those TV contract brought in huge amounts of money, but basically all it did was make the France family even richer and send the sport down an unsustainable growth curve. Now here we are 20 years later, trying desperately to put the cost genie back in the bottle and trying to sell reduced expectations to corporate America.
smh

I think some points are valid, yet 20 years ago it was impossible to see how all of this has changed. Yes viewership was more challenged when you are on cable-only networks, but most who seek out racing get these now via any number of paths. Networks also morphed how they have presented their programming. Above all the advent of satellite then internet access brought a gazillion options for people to view. Lastly NASCAR wasn’t the only sport to see reduced viewership. Costs went higher as revenue soared...difficult to contain.

I've made it through TNN and SPEED shutdowns, I will make it through who ever else.
We have not cut the cable yet but feel it coming on. I love my dvr, what can I say?

I don't follow his logic there, and I think he's wrong. But that's just me. The NHL isn't primarily a Sunday afternoon venture, is it?

I think the latter 60% of the NASCAR season, if they continue to split it roughly the way they have, remains the package that is far more in play and would keep switching hands. I see Fox being content with the post-NFL slate of NASCAR they have, and I doubt anyone else is motivated to overpay to take it from them.
The NBC game of the week starting in January is often a Sunday afternoon and then they have Sunday afternoon games through the playoffs until the Stanley Cup. There’s overlap with a good portion of FOX’s NASCAR schedule as things stand now.

Something else to watch is how much networks are going to pay - a lot of projections are close to 100% increases for each group - for the next round of NFL rights and what flexibility that allows with their other deals.

it is what it is, the TV deals in the last 10 years have shown me I can miss races... and still be a race fan

I do find it ironic that their goal was to try and bully people into buying cable packages in which they didn’t even have access to even buy, in order to watch nascar... it slowly just taught me how I can still be a race fan, even though strangely I’m not watching most of the races. Weird

Honestly it was probably good for me in some in-direct ways when my areas didn’t get the NBCS and FS1 stuff. I use to never feel like I could miss a single practice or qualifying session... so it’s balanced my viewing out to where things probably should be so I’m not tempted to miss out on other things

I will watch the broadcasts which are on the flagship stations(even that is not something I go out of my way for as much now) and really my only focus in recent seasons is ‘planning‘ tickets to a race or two I want to try and make. That’s really all I care about anymore. If I make it to a Cup race in a season I’m more than thrilled with that.

the ‘me’ from 20 years ago would never understand how I could be content with such desires for the upcoming nascar seasons lol

Last edited:
NBC Sports won’t go out of business but they really messed up kicking the Dan Patrick Show & Rich Eisen Show to Peacock. The lack of morning shows hurts them quite a bit compared to FS1 & ESPN for daily ratings

It's pretty easy to see that every major network is trying to skip cable providers and get directly to the consumer through streaming services. Peacock has premium and discovery has discovery plus. I'm sure others will follow.

it is what it is, the TV deals in the last 10 years have shown me I can miss races... and still be a race fan

I do find it ironic that their goal was to try and bully people into buying cable packages in which they didn’t even have access to even buy, in order to watch nascar... it slowly just taught me how I can still be a race fan, even though strangely I’m not watching most of the races. Weird

Honestly it was probably good for me in some in-direct ways when my areas didn’t get the NBCS and FS1 stuff. I use to never feel like I could miss a single practice or qualifying session... so it’s balanced my viewing out to where things probably should be so I’m not tempted to miss out on other things

I will watch the broadcasts which are on the flagship stations(even that is not something I go out of my way for as much now) and really my only focus in recent seasons is ‘planning‘ tickets to a race or two I want to try and make. That’s really all I care about anymore. If I make it to a Cup race in a season I’m more than thrilled with that.

the ‘me’ from 20 years ago would never understand how I could be content with such desires for the upcoming nascar seasons lol

I agree, internet and availability of content has certainly helped. I can get quali and practice highlights, interviews, time sheets, and a plethora of info from the ole' 'COM-puterrr. No need to watch ALL the weekend content. Even for races I've missed stuff on the DVR cuz of rain or NBC randomly switching channels and can watch pretty beefy highlight reels or even the full race if I wait a day. That said, I catch 32-33 of the 36 races each season still on the DVR or live.

It's pretty easy to see that every major network is trying to skip cable providers and get directly to the consumer through streaming services. Peacock has premium and discovery has discovery plus. I'm sure others will follow.

Which is hilarious because people will eventually get cable due to having so many subscriptions

Which is hilarious because people will eventually get cable due to having so many subscriptions
I see it going the other way. People we subscribe to the 3 or 4 networks they actually watch and that's it.

I'm not sure I'd even have cable if it wasn't for nascar. Between youtube and Netflix I rarely watch anything on cable that isn't racing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As long as we are using perfect 20/20 hindsight, the Speed channel swung and missed before that with what could have been a golden opportunity for 24/7 racing channel, racing news and coverage. As it was and is usually the bane of so many things, they forgot singleness of purpose and thought the way to even more riches was to change to Fox Sports 1 and do a pretty crappy job covering a whole plethora of topics.
But, but, but...I love cornhole.

A refresher on the Fox/NBC TV deal announced in 2013... Bleacher Report analysis

Regarding streaming rights... "Perhaps the best hidden news in all of the FOX and NBC hoopla is that both networks have obtained "TV Everywhere" rights to NASCAR races."

Why would NASCAR develop their own streaming network when they already have one with NBC?

Cutting cable won't matter when you have to subscribe to 10 different streaming services to be able to watch all the different stuff you're into. It's getting ridiculous.
It’s funny to me I’m young enough to get the streaming aspect and stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Peacock (I have cable still) and Hulu a bit. But old enough to have everything they’re streaming now I mostly have on DVD... shows and movies. It’s amusing to me my inlaws are in their mid 20’s and belong to at least 5 different streaming platforms they play monthly. If there’s a show I think I’ll like and watch I’ll just go buy the Box set which actually in some cases is cheaper than when it was when I was in college building my dvd collection. Some aspects of this streaming trend is so ass backwards and in some cases more expensive than if you had cable. I’m also old enough to still have a VCR built in to a TV that still resides in my bedroom at my parents house, my VHS movies are still there. I can’t wait to show my kid when I have them a VCR with VHS

NASCAR also did not make the list, and they were the only live sport on TV for some time. Ouch.

What's wild is I haven't seen 10 minutes of football this year and I don't miss it. I couldn't tell you a thing about teams' records this season.

right there with you. I give a ‘Hell Yeah’ to that allllll day long.

I just tell people ‘not really into sports’ and move on haha. Not giving any of the stick and ball stuff the time of day. It’s been pretty easy honestly

What's wild is I haven't seen 10 minutes of football this year and I don't miss it. I couldn't tell you a thing about teams' records this season.
It sure hasn’t felt like the NFL this year. The pandemic, lack of fans at games and not knowing who is going to test positive at any given time has taken a great amount of enthusiasm out of NFL Sunday's for me. I commend the League though for getting through most weeks unscathed, they’ve put a product out there each week and are about to start the playoffs. But gosh it just feels weird this year, same thing with college football.

Nascar had the golden opportunity and became the laughing stock of the entire world with noosegate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What does this have with NBCSN going away? That topic has been discussed and re-cussed to death

What does this have with NBCSN going away? That topic has been discussed and re-cussed to death
Talking about the most viewed sporting events and 0 Nascar on the list.

Nascar had the golden opportunity and became the laughing stock of the entire world with noosegate.

Nah haha NASCAR could never fully be what football is. A lot of it has been surging cable subscriptions and college attendance.

Hell Ohio State has a 61K student population at their Columbus campus on par with the population of Homestead, FL

More alums mean more fans/potential watchers. Combine that with tons of sports channels and viola College Football is now the #2 sport in America. That in turn created the NFL into a behemoth

Nah haha NASCAR could never fully be what football is. A lot of it has been surging cable subscriptions and college attendance. More alums mean more fans/potential watchers. Combine that with tons of sports channels and viola College Football is now the #2 sport in America. That in turn created the NFL into a behemoth
Like anybody and their little dog knows. You all go pound on your chests and listen for the trumpets.

Like anybody and their little dog knows. You all go pound on your chests and listen for the trumpets.

I added more to the post. You’re getting a new massive crop of season ticket holders every year who are gonna be lifelong fans, most extremely passionate

After doing more research it seems the Soccer bunch hasn't been signed by NBCSN and rumors are it will go to Peacock which of course will cost more money for them to see their games IF it does. Some football show didn't renew and some are all jacked up about that. So for now it is a large bunch of rumors. This is the only thing concrete for now and that involves footballers and disreguarding the "hook" story line it probably wasn't that popular in the first place

I added more to the post. You’re getting a new massive crop of season ticket holders every year who are gonna be lifelong fans, most extremely passionate
Ya know, a lot of people go to college without giving a hoot about the sports programs. I certainly didn't.

Back
Top Bottom