NBCSN going away?

Put 'em down like Ol' Yeller
Have to catch them first
1611445166056.png

I think @FLRacingFan nailed it. This is an improvement for NASCAR, as second tier races that would have been on NBCSN will slide over to USA, which has wider distribution and a larger average audience. The same race will do a better number on USA than it would have on NBCSN.

Meanwhile, this could be bad for more niche motorsports properties that had found a home on NBCSN. If Comcast / NBCUniversal don't see them as worthy of being on USA or NBC network and instead views them as Peacock streaming content, they will get fewer viewers there.

I think @FLRacingFan nailed it. This is an improvement for NASCAR, as second tier races that would have been on NBCSN will slide over to USA, which has wider distribution and a larger average audience. The same race will do a better number on USA than it would have on NBCSN.

I don't know about that myself. In theory, moving to USA should draw larger numbers, but the "Summer Series" races on TNT drew lower ratings than Fox and ESPN, IIRC. Seems like, despite a strong primetime lineup on TNT and heavy promotion, only die-hard NASCAR fans were watching those.

Those were also only six races on a standalone package, while before, it was Fox/FX and NBC/TNT.

I don't know about that myself. In theory, moving to USA should draw larger numbers, but the "Summer Series" races on TNT drew lower ratings than Fox and ESPN, IIRC. Seems like, despite a strong primetime lineup on TNT and heavy promotion, only die-hard NASCAR fans were watching those.

Those were also only six races on a standalone package, while before, it was Fox/FX and NBC/TNT.

NBCSN was a boat anchor dragging down Cup viewership for every race it carried. Cup racing was supposed to help build out the network, not the other way around. USA won't be able to match NBC network numbers, but with adequate promotion, it is a step up from NBCSN.

Glancing at ratings from 2014, the final year before the current deal, for the races they had, TNT's numbers were roughly on par with what ESPN would average for most races (not the top races at the time like Talladega, the finale, etc. but the bulk of the schedule). It was always hard for TNT to build momentum with those six odd weeks in late summer.

NBCSN was a boat anchor dragging down Cup viewership for every race it carried. Cup racing was supposed to help build out the network, not the other way around. USA won't be able to match NBC network numbers, but with adequate promotion, it is a step up from NBCSN.

Glancing at ratings from 2014, the final year before the current deal, for the races they had, TNT's numbers were roughly on par with what ESPN would average for most races (not the top races at the time like Talladega, the finale, etc. but the bulk of the schedule). It was always hard for TNT to build momentum with those six odd weeks in late summer.

ESPN had completely thrown in the towel in 2014. They had already thrown in the towel back in the summer of 2013 after the NBC deal was announced, and even tried to get out of their contract a year early. IIRC, in the earlier years of that Fox/TNT/ESPN contract, TNT's numbers were much lower.

But, yes, hard to build momentum with a six race package, especially when those races include Pocono, Michigan, Chicago/Kentucky, Sonoma, and Loudon.

NASCAR is a very niche sport. It doesnt bring in casual viewers like football would for marquee or playoff games. The existing fans who want to watch the race will land on USA and those who aren’t interested will be watching whatever they are interested in on other channels. If a “sports network” channel didnt bring in the sports interested viewers NBC theorized, it certainly wont happen with USA - especially in the middle of the season when it switches from Fox.

Is NBC still going to broadcast races or everything moved to USA network?

NASCAR is a very niche sport. It doesnt bring in casual viewers like football would for marquee or playoff games. The existing fans who want to watch the race will land on USA and those who aren’t interested will be watching whatever they are interested in on other channels. If a “sports network” channel didnt bring in the sports interested viewers NBC theorized, it certainly wont happen with USA - especially in the middle of the season when it switches from Fox.

This will be interesting to check back on in about nine months. NASCAR is "a very niche" sport if the definition of niche is "not football". Otherwise, yes it has casual viewers, which is why total audience size can vary by 1-3 million from one week to the next. In the television industry, program ratings are affected by the baseline viewership for the network the program airs on.

It’s gonna be interesting to see how much Peacock prices go up the more they put behind it. This morning they announced a 5 year/$1B dollar deal with the WWE that’ll put content on Peacock Premium. It only figures that the more they add beyond legacy NBC content like The Office the higher prices will go. At least with a cable channel like NBCSN the network is subsidized by cable subscribers who pay through it in their package but don’t watch. Becoming wholly dependent upon Peacock subscribers is a different model.

The NHL and EPL are mentioned because they expire within the next year or so, but perhaps more broadly everything that doesn't have a long-term agreement running parallel with the NFL into the 2030s could be in play. Also, don't expect them to give up exclusive streaming rights if they do renew with NASCAR down the line.

“We're very excited about, hopefully, our relationship continuing with the NFL, that's a big priority,” Roberts said during a Morgan Stanley conference today on technology, media and telecom. “But there will be, therefore, tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued. And that will be someone else's good fortune perhaps. But we're going to be disciplined in trying to find a balance.”

A key for Roberts is to cut deals that include Peacock. “We're looking at every sports relationship we're doing to have a streaming aspect to it, not just a linear television aspect.” Roberts mentioned the EPL, WWE and the Olympics as properties that have embraced both streaming and linear platforms. “We're really high on what can happen with sports,” Roberts said. “There's nothing like sports. And if you look in the U.S. with the Olympics and the NFL and in U.K. with the Premier League, we're a very relevant company. But we're going to have to make some choices, and there will be choices we make with shareholders in mind and long-term value as well.”

The NHL and EPL are mentioned because they expire within the next year or so, but perhaps more broadly everything that doesn't have a long-term agreement running parallel with the NFL into the 2030s could be in play. Also, don't expect them to give up exclusive streaming rights if they do renew with NASCAR down the line.

Isn’t the NFL on CBS and Fox? What does NBC do with them?

Sunday Night Football plus a few playoff games.

The fact there’s not much else to pick up for fall Sunday afternoons makes NBC’s NASCAR contract valuable for sure, but paying for the Olympics through 2032 in addition is a ton of money and it sounds like some sports or going to be cut entirely or at least be forced to take a deal at a discount.

Has anyone heard anything about the announcer's crew for USA? Will it be the same chatterboxes as NBC/NBCSN?

For those who like Dale Jr. in the booth and hate Letarte, Jr. basically spelled out on his podcast this week that they are for all intents and purposes a "package deal". Dale seemed to imply he wouldn't have even taken the job if Steve wasn't already there, and if Steve ever got the boot, Jr. would follow.

Fox is going after NHL hard and ESPN wants a share of it as well.

For those who like Dale Jr. in the booth and hate Letarte, Jr. basically spelled out on his podcast this week that they are for all intents and purposes a "package deal". Dale seemed to imply he wouldn't have even taken the job if Steve wasn't already there, and if Steve ever got the boot, Jr. would follow.

Jr, Letarte and Burton all sound the same, and the four-man booth is so hyper with the relentless yelling.

Yeah Football Night in America is easily the most watched show on Sunday leading up to the big game.

NBC has done a terrific job with the NFL and NHL, NASCAR is meh. With so many games already on Fox Sports Regional, it would make sense to put the NHL on Fox and FS1.

Wouldn’t mind to see CBS get racing back. IMO NBC has the worst announcing group I’ve ever seen. They need to go with Allen Bestwick, Kyle Petty and Dale Jr ASAP for their crew.

Allen Bestwick is a consummate Professional in the booth. Knowledgeable, humorous and great pipes..Side note:
He lives a few towns up from me, and I was shopping one day, and around the corner of the aisle I came, and damn near hit his cart. I apologized, and then I realized who he was. He said no problem, and I told him "I should be black flagged for that"... He chuckled, I shook his hand , and on we went.. Small state, Rhode Island is....

NBCSN officially goes dark on NYD. Most programming confirmed to go to USA, no specifics but some will go to CNBC and E! As well.
NBC Sports Programming on USA Network in 2022

• Atlantic 10 basketball
    • Horse Racing
    • IMSA
    • INDYCAR: Two races
    • NASCAR: Cup and Xfinity Series races
    • Olympic sports
    • Premier League
    • The R&A – The Open, AIG Women’s Open: Early round and weekend lead-in coverage
    • The Winter Olympics
    • Tour de France
    • USGA – U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open: Early round and weekend lead-in coverage

It sounds like Mecum will end up on Motor Trend TV

That's already been confirmed.

The Winter Olympics are gonna be a mess. One less channel for coverage, and a channel that was around the clock with Olympics coverage. Guess I'll be buying Peacock soon. :(

Yeah Football Night in America is easily the most watched show on Sunday leading up to the big game.

NBC has done a terrific job with the NFL and NHL, NASCAR is meh. With so many games already on Fox Sports Regional, it would make sense to put the NHL on Fox and FS1.

Wouldn’t mind to see CBS get racing back. IMO NBC has the worst announcing group I’ve ever seen. They need to go with Allen Bestwick, Kyle Petty and Dale Jr ASAP for their crew.

NBC's coverage of everything is first class except NASCAR. Sadly, there isn't a single good NASCAR broadcast anymore.

I read an article the other day where Kez was quoted as saying today's TV coverage is about the broadcast, not about the event. I had to think about that, but he's right.
When they had to get the hot dog skit in before what happened to cause the caution and they did it not only once but twice, it was pretty obvious.

I read an article the other day where Kez was quoted as saying today's TV coverage is about the broadcast, not about the event. I had to think about that, but he's right.
That's odd. For the last several years I've read going to a sports competition is about the 'event' and not about the game, race, match, etc. How else does one explain pre-race concerts, MMA matches, motorcycle stunts, etc; or football at Bristol where attendees know they won't be able to see, etc.

That's odd. For the last several years I've read going to a sports competition is about the 'event' and not about the game, race, match, etc. How else does one explain pre-race concerts, MMA matches, motorcycle stunts, etc; or football at Bristol where attendees know they won't be able to see, etc.

I believe Bruton Smith and Humpy Wheeler are the best at this at auto races. As promoters they accomplishes several things this way. Getting a large part of the attending crowd in early. Selling more stuff early and giving the fans more than they expected for their money. That's a win win boys and girls and I for one appreciated it. (BTW, if my stating boys and girls offends you, screw your pronouns.)

This is a fact because I went to the Coke 600 for years in the past and saw some of the best prerace entertainment you will ever see. Especially the ones with the Military showing their stuff.

Now when it comes to concerts and WWE wrestling before the race (Daytona), I could care less, pitiful attempt IMHO.

I think this sport would actually fair better off with someone other than the current TV networks deciding race start times and such things like that..

Streaming services have taken over so much. I just realized recently that the only time my household has switched the TV over to broadcast TV is when I’ve turned on a race… just streaming apps bring in all shows anyone else asks to watch.

Once NASCAR gets a streaming setup… and hopefully it could be some different companies and not just FOX/NBC. I think there’s more of an audience out there who will give this stuff a chance.

Current Networks say they have ‘data’ which suggests when is best time to show events… well, it’s no secret you can twist and turn data and statistics to make them show about anything you want… not that hard

would be interesting to see other companies come in and stream this sport and share new data at that time

Will the various streaming services combine to replace the revenues currently generated from TV contracts?

Will the various streaming services combine to replace the revenues currently generated from TV contracts?
And why do we think a streaming service would choose different start times?

Has any major sport switched exclusively to streaming, without a traditional network contract?

Has any major sport switched exclusively to streaming, without a traditional network contract?

No, and none would by choice. If anything the strength of traditional TV, especially the OTA broadcast networks, has been surprisingly resurgent in the last round of sports rights deals. I say that as an avid streamer.

One reason is that as TV viewership has plunged overall, live sports have become an ever larger percentage of what remains. They are more important to the networks than ever before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom