NFL 2014

Tennessee has a Monday Night game against Pittsburgh in November, and they play the Jaguars on TNF in December.

Wow, Tennessee gets exposure for once. As for the Thursday night game, it's not one of the CBS Primetime games - hence my remarks about nationally televised. I remember the last time Jacksonville had a primetime game. That's when America was introduced to the many talents of Blaine Gabbert. :(

Bl9Vkv6IIAAZ9PI.png:large

NFL has since changed it, but this was on the schedule on NFL.com. Just for Andy. :D

It's looking more and more like a 14 team playoff in the NFL is going to happen. The format will be proposed at the owners meeting on May 20th, and if it passes the vote, could go into effect as early as this season. This would likely mean that only the #1 seed from each conference would get a first round bye, and a #2 vs. #7 matchup would be added during WC weekend for each conference. The Cardinals and Steelers would have been the beneficiaries of this format last season.

I actually kind of like the idea. Six games on Wild Card Weekend would be awesome. Plus, the Titans tend to teeter around the .500 mark most seasons, this may help them get in. There were 28 teams in the NFL when the league expanded to a 12 team playoff in 1990, meaning about 43% of the teams got in. Now, 14 of 32 would go, which is about 44%, so not really much different.

It's looking more and more like a 14 team playoff in the NFL is going to happen. The format will be proposed at the owners meeting on May 20th, and if it passes the vote, could go into effect as early as this season. This would likely mean that only the #1 seed from each conference would get a first round bye, and a #2 vs. #7 matchup would be added during WC weekend for each conference. The Cardinals and Steelers would have been the beneficiaries of this format last season.

I actually kind of like the idea. Six games on Wild Card Weekend would be awesome. Plus, the Titans tend to teeter around the .500 mark most seasons, this may help them get in. There were 28 teams in the NFL when the league expanded to a 12 team playoff in 1990, meaning about 43% of the teams got in. Now, 14 of 32 would go, which is about 44%, so not really much different.
You know they are only going to do it to get the Cowgirls in

You know they are only going to do it to get the Cowgirls in
I don't think it'll be enough. Both the Cardinals and the Bears would have gotten in ahead of the Cowboys last year. They better expand it to about 24 teams if that's their goal.

Bl9Vkv6IIAAZ9PI.png:large

NFL has since changed it, but this was on the schedule on NFL.com. Just for Andy. :D
IMO The league itself pushing for that on its web site is pretty inappropriate. Good thing they took it down.

They better prepare for disappointment then because the "London Jaguars" are staying in Jacksonville. The lease runs through 2030, so I'll tell you what NFL.com and ESPN can do with their "London Jaguars" and "Los Angeles Jaguars" snark is they can take it and shove it up their asses.

They better prepare for disappointment then because the "London Jaguars" are staying in Jacksonville. The lease runs through 2030, so I'll tell you what NFL.com and ESPN can do with their "London Jaguars" and "Los Angeles Jaguars" snark is they can take it and shove it up their asses.
As I've said before, nobody is moving to Los Angeles any time soon. It serves the league perfectly well as a bargaining chip when threatening to move whatever team that wants more money from their current city for a new stadium or renovations to their facilities. If a team actually did move there, however, that threat would no longer be there. That may be why they are trying to float this London idea as well, as another potential for a team that doesn't get what it wants from the city it currently resides in. London, however, is not financially feasible as a weekly scheduled team. Travel costs, difficulty with getting free agents to sign there, and other issues are just the tip of the iceberg. Do you think the NFLPA would easily go along with that many players having to move that far away from their families for that long of time on a regular basis? They could, of course, bring their wives, girlfriends, kids, baby mamas, etc with them, but that is a long way to be separated from parents, siblings, friends and other family members as well. I just don't see it. Then again, that could just be more stuff for the league to throw out there in negotiations with the players and then "give up" in concessions in negotiations, knowing full well that they don't really want it, they just want to get more concessions from the players that way.

Just an attempt to bring in more money. If you can't win your division or earn one of the two Wild Cards you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

As I've said before, nobody is moving to Los Angeles any time soon. It serves the league perfectly well as a bargaining chip when threatening to move whatever team that wants more money from their current city for a new stadium or renovations to their facilities. If a team actually did move there, however, that threat would no longer be there. That may be why they are trying to float this London idea as well, as another potential for a team that doesn't get what it wants from the city it currently resides in. London, however, is not financially feasible as a weekly scheduled team. Travel costs, difficulty with getting free agents to sign there, and other issues are just the tip of the iceberg. Do you think the NFLPA would easily go along with that many players having to move that far away from their families for that long of time on a regular basis? They could, of course, bring their wives, girlfriends, kids, baby mamas, etc with them, but that is a long way to be separated from parents, siblings, friends and other family members as well. I just don't see it. Then again, that could just be more stuff for the league to throw out there in negotiations with the players and then "give up" in concessions in negotiations, knowing full well that they don't really want it, they just want to get more concessions from the players that way.
IIRC, all of the following teams have threatened to move to L.A. at some point since the mid 90's:
Jaguars
Chargers
Raiders (yes, they talked about moving back)
Vikings
Saints
Rams (they talked about moving back too)
Seahawks
Cardinals
49ers

Last edited:
Just an attempt to bring in more money. If you can't win your division or earn one of the two Wild Cards you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
I don't know, I don't exactly think the 8-7-1 Packers deserved to get in over the 10-6 Cardinals, but that was just a consequence of the way the divisions are laid out. A lot of people are concerned that there will be 7-9 or 8-8 teams in the playoffs every year, but on the flipside there have been several 10-6 teams excluded over the years. The Patriots even managed to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs a few years back. While it may be all about $, I have no problem with the 14 team playoff.

IIRC, all of the following teams have threatened to move to L.A. at some point since the mid 90's:
Jaguars
Chargers
Vikings
Saints
Rams
Seahawks
Cardinals
49ers

The Panthers also entertained conversations with LA officials, although their public stance was always that they hoped to stay in Charlotte and that "The only scenario in which [owner Jerry Richardson] would listen would be if Charlotte balked at helping him with some of the stadium renovations the Panthers have been seeking..." Which sounds an awful lot like a polite threat to move to LA if demands weren't met, which ranks up there with "Bringing in Chad Knaus for a pep talk" as very NC things to do.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...r-jerry-richardson-spurns-la-overtures-source

I don't know, I don't exactly think the 8-7-1 Packers deserved to get in over the 10-6 Cardinals, but that was just a consequence of the way the divisions are laid out. A lot of people are concerned that there will be 7-9 or 8-8 teams in the playoffs every year, but on the flipside there have been several 10-6 teams excluded over the years. The Patriots even managed to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs a few years back. While it may be all about $, I have no problem with the 14 team playoff.
The Cardinals were a good team and had a good season, sure, but ultimately they didn't even finish in the top half of their division. Regardless of how tough your division is, if you can't place high enough in the regular season I don't think should get another opportunity at those teams. I just don't like that they're reinforcing the idea of crowning the hottest team at the right time rather than the best team.

And yeah, I know the Giants have been That Team that backdoors their way into the playoffs and miracles their way to a title.

The Cardinals were a good team and had a good season, sure, but ultimately they didn't even finish in the top half of their division. Regardless of how tough your division is, if you can't place high enough in the regular season I don't think should get another opportunity at those teams. I just don't like that they're reinforcing the idea of crowning the hottest team at the right time rather than the best team.

And yeah, I know the Giants have been That Team that backdoors their way into the playoffs and miracles their way to a title.
Exactly. It's a lot like why The Chase turned me off so much. One of the things I loved the most about NASCAR is that the winner was the one who performed the best throughout the entire season, not just for a playoff.

Jaguars
Chargers
Vikings
Saints
Rams (they talked about moving back too)
Seahawks
Cardinals
49ers

The Jags have never had any intentions of moving to Jacksonville and got what they wanted from the city without having to throw "Los Angeles" around.

I really think the NFL has finally hit the point of over-saturation with the draft talk. If it had been a while back, like it ordinarily would have, people would be refreshed with talk of how all the teams did and who the surprises were and who the new favorites are now. As it is, everybody is sick of hearing about mock draft 73.0 and who is meeting with who. They just want to get on with it. The draft is pretty much the Browns fans' super bowl every year. It is the one time of year where we can get excited about the possibility that we could do something as well or even better than the rest of the league.

As we get closer to the draft, I'm pretty much just out of opinions or caring anymore. I just hope the Browns don't draft Johnny Football. Anything else seems to be as good a guess as any at this point.

They need to take Khalil Mack if he's there. The guy's a beast. Just watch his game tape against Ohio State.

I don't think they will. All the talk is about Sammy Watkins and Johnny Manziel. Honestly, I'll be pissed if either are drafted. I'm not sold on Sammy Watkins and I just don't like Johnny Manziel. I hope Jacksonville trades down if they're not going to pick Kahlil Mack.

Going to Jacksonville would take care of that quickly. ESPN hates the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their ******* bias against the Jags is why I started watching FOX Sucks 1.
There were rumors of Jerry Jones wanting Manziel in Dallas, ESPN would probably spray their shorts if that happened.

I might have to watch the draft on the NFL Network this year. They're not quite as far up Manziel's ass as ESPN is.

There were rumors of Jerry Jones wanting Manziel in Dallas, ESPN would probably spray their shorts if that happened.

I might have to watch the draft on the NFL Network this year. They're not quite as far up Manziel's ass as ESPN is.

If Jacksonville picks Manziel, ESPN will ****. They'll ****.

I don't mind the draft being held later this year. It was due to scheduling conflicts at the Music Hall. Oh well. It happens. But if they push the draft back another week or two in 2015 like is being considered, people may just riot.

If hometown Canton, OH gets to host a later NFL Draft date. That would be friggin awesome. The Browns party bus will be parked in the parking lot and I'll be hanging out all day!

130 of the 1,000 fans the league is letting into the Draft are Jags fans. So much for no fan support.

Back
Top Bottom