NFL 2023-2024

The Jets dicked around too much in the first half while the Raiders were still trying to sort things out, and now they’re paying the price for missed opportunities. Great throw and catch between the two Raider rookies.

Miracle for the Jets at that point if it stands. The Raiders had been very patient with the running game, and it was working big time.

NY has had some impressive drives tonight that have all stalled out. They need to finish this one out with the TD! These teams aren't great, but at least they've put on a close game. I mean, we could of had Cowboys/Giants instead.

Story of the night. Wilson saved his worst decision for last. Looked like he had an open man coming across from his left as well.

IMG_0940.jpeg

Riding with Zack Wilson was such a dumb choice. They haven't scored a TD in almost 3 games. That's a damn joke

It really is disappointing. He made some good plays throughout, including that final play, but to not be able to put a complete drive together in almost three games is inexcusable.

Do they even have another QB available that would be more effective than Wilson?

It really is disappointing. He made some good plays throughout, including that final play, but to not be able to put a complete drive together in almost three games is inexcusable.

Do they even have another QB available that would be more effective than Wilson?
They could have traded for Josh Dobbs for I think it was a 6th or 7th round pick. It's hard to be worse than 1 TD in 3 games

I don’t think Wilson was the problem tonight really. The INT and one other incompletion were pretty bad, but for the most part he threw pretty well and stretched his legs more than he has been. They had some big plays taken away early due to penalty as well as some poor drops. Last Monday was bad though.

I think by the time Rodgers is willing to play it’ll be too late to risk it. They’ll probably give Wilson the rest of the season and then they’ll know how they want to proceed with QB depth next season. It wouldn’t cost much of anything if they chose to part ways with him after that.

I don’t think Wilson was the problem tonight really. The INT and one other incompletion were pretty bad, but for the most part he threw pretty well and stretched his legs more than he has been. They had some big plays taken away early due to penalty as well as some poor drops. Last Monday was bad though.

I think by the time Rodgers is willing to play it’ll be too late to risk it. They’ll probably give Wilson the rest of the season and then they’ll know how they want to proceed with QB depth next season. It wouldn’t cost much of anything if they chose to part ways with him after that.

I too thought it was one of his better games, but you could also argue that it was just The Raiders. But he used his legs more than I’ve seen and was able to make good throws on the run.

This article really spells out how jaw-droppingly terrible Press Taylor is as an OC.

So why the step back in year three? Well, in his third season as a pro, Lawrence has his third play caller: Press Taylor. Taylor, who was Jacksonville’s offensive coordinator last season, was given play-calling duties this season by head coach Doug Pederson, who called the plays in 2022. Pederson once bolstered his head-coaching résumé by calling plays under Andy Reid in Kansas City, and now he’s trying to pass that same benefit on to Taylor, who simply doesn’t have the stuff.

Taylor was involved in the play-calling to some degree in 2020, Pederson’s last and worst season as head coach of the Eagles, and he has similarly hampered the 2023 Jaguars. Lawrence’s numbers aren’t the only thing suffering this year. The Jaguars are averaging almost 1 yard less per rush this year than they did last year; their explosive rush rate, dropping from 9.8 percent to 5.5 percent, has almost been halved. Third-down conversion rates are down 7 percentage points, and fourth-down conversion rates are down 19 percentage points. Red zone efficiency, down. Goal-line efficiency, down.

This is on Taylor—and, by proxy, Pederson.

What specifically is Taylor struggling with? For one: The Jaguars don’t know how to get Calvin Ridley activated. Per Next Gen Stats, Ridley is one of only two receivers leaguewide to face press coverage on more than 40 percent of his snaps (46.8 percent, dramatically above third place, at 39 percent). And Ridley is struggling; he averages half as many yards per route run against press coverage. Yet the Jaguars line Ridley up as an outside receiver on the line of scrimmage, rarely motioning him (only 6.4 percent of his snaps) or hiding him in bunches and stacks to free him off the line.

And, if the Jaguars aren’t deploying the clever and helpful shenanigans that most teams do to assist their star receivers, what are they doing? Just running traditional West Coast ideas: the sort of stuff that dominated the 2000s. They ask Lawrence to sit in the pocket, pick a side of the field, process post-snap, and make defenders wrong constantly. It’s big-boy football—but it’s a lot of work for little reward.

Because Lawrence has been relegated to the role of half-field supercomputer, he’s throwing the ball in 2.44 seconds; only Tua Tagovailoa is distributing it faster. He’s also throwing underneath constantly—6.9 air yards per attempt is seventh lowest in the NFL.

But even if Taylor is running the offense this way to protect the line, he has dramatically overreacted. According to Next Gen Stats, only 7.4 percent of the Jaguars’ routes go further than 20 yards downfield—that’s last in the league by a comfortable margin. When looking at routes from just wide and slot alignments (i.e., removing routes that are typically shallow, from inline tight ends and backs in the backfield), the Jaguars are the only team with an average route depth (9.9 yards) under 10.

The Jags just don’t run receivers downfield. Taylor has the bones of a good offense—the familiar concepts that work from down to down—but he has none of the designer stuff, the extra zest, the oomph that really makes top offenses sing. That’s why the Jaguars can’t find any shot plays; it’s why the Jaguars are terrible in the red zone, where creative play design is an absolute must.

Lawrence isn’t failing the Jaguars offense. It’s the other way around.

Most of those aren't exactly big deficits. I mean, 10-0 in only the 2nd quarter isn't exactly a miracle to come back from.
The only ones I specifically remember are the Miami game, Jacksonville ( because I was there ) and Yesterday because Im still pissed about it.

that's some old stuff...I only care about this year. They found away to win a lot more than they loose.

Ravens have the same problem the Jags have right now tbh. Costly giveaways.

Ravens are a much better team because the Jaguars offense isn’t gonna score **** with Press Taylor calling the plays.

Ravens have the same problem the Jags have right now tbh. Costly giveaways.

Ravens are a much better team because the Jaguars offense isn’t gonna score **** with Press Taylor calling the plays.

You know as well as I do. It's all about making the playoffs and how healthy the team is. After that it comes down to luck a couple good or bad calls and a turnover or 2. I'd rather learn a lesson now than in the playoffs when you don't get a chance to correct it the next week. BTW I'm going be watching the Thursday Night game in Cedar Point . If here here any loud yelling it might be me.
They blame all that on the D. When the offense stops playing and goes 3 and out every drive in the 4th 1/4 no wonder they lose. Lamar needs to play the whole game.He has always throttled back once he gets a comfortable lead.

You know as well as I do. It's all about making the playoffs and how healthy the team is. After that it comes down to luck a couple good or bad calls and a turnover or 2. I'd rather learn a lesson now than in the playoffs when you don't get a chance to correct it the next week. BTW I'm going be watching the Thursday Night game in Cedar Point . If here here any loud yelling it might be me.
The Cedar Point in Carteret County?

Yeah, wife wants to go camping. I'll leave there and head to OBX for a couple nights also.
There are a couple great bars in Cedar Point to watch the game too.

34 North and Riptidez. Let me know if you go, we’ll grab a beer.

(I don’t have Amazon prime so I would have to go out to watch the game)

The Bills are on really shaky ground, and Allen has regressed. I don't doubt they can come back, but credit to the Broncos (and as hard as it is for me to say it, Sean Payton) for turning their ship around and playing competitive football.

Bills are going to have their work cut out to even make the playoffs, the entire AFC North is above .500

Back
Top Bottom