Post 2022 Gen 7 Car Upgrades

As you know, NASCAR is not impervious to the ravages of inflation and supply chain raw materials / finished product shortages.

It’s still far less expensive to put together and maintain 7 cars per charter than it was to run a fleet of 15 or 20 track-specific chassis / body combinations. Ross Chastain won at COTA and at Talladega with the same car. That’s what Next Gen is all about.
Of course, just as it relates to re-evaluating and upgrading the new car the cost overruns mean NASCAR isn’t in a real position to ask teams to spend even more money, so it’s easier to target parts you can just strip off or tack on.

Also at the same time NASCAR is discussing a budget cap or luxury tax, fwiw.

And why didn't NASCAR follow the Australian Supercar route? Strict rules on construction of chassis, in-house, with sprinkles of outside supplied spec parts? Could be using same chassis as Supercar with minor mods for side impacts Nascar sees.
The reports from Down Under regarding the Australian Supercar’s performance characteristics were troubling.

Fine on the road courses but a real dog on 1/4 mile, 3/8 mile, 1/2 mile, high-banked half mile, high-banked 1/2 mile dirt, 3/4 mile, 1 mile, 1.5 mile, and 2 mile oval tracks. The previous season’s events on the nation’s two 2.5 mile Superspeedways were cancelled indefinitely. The sanctioning body awaits pending reversals of several of the laws of physics.

Some folks still seem to believe that you're a "deathbedder" if you don't think that everything about the NextGen is 100% perfect. I don't think anyone expected everything to be perfect right out of the gate but there were some significant issues in 2022 that couldn't really surprise anyone.
The rumor about the dead crash test dummy that came up in 2021 was never really addressed. Early in the 2022 season we saw a couple of relatively hard hits where the car was barely damaged. Late in the season three drivers missed races because of injuries. They have removed a few bars in the rear-end clip for this season but with the way the back end of the car was construced it still doesn't leave much room for a crumple zone.

I don't think anyone was seriously surprised that the combination of taller spoilers, lower horsepower, wider tires and the addition of a diffuser would lead to lower straightaway speeds and higher cornering speeds which obviously impacts the racing on short tracks and road courses.

I do hope the safety and aero updates will work out. The product wasn't bad at all, I just mean to point out that there remains room for improvement.

Just more evidence of how NASCAR really had no idea what they were doing in the development of the new car. No way in hell you should get this far down the road and discover that the car is so damn stiff it's knocking drivers silly from incidental contact. A decent computer simulation should have been able to figure that out like three years ago.

Just more evidence of how NASCAR really had no idea what they were doing in the development of the new car. No way in hell you should get this far down the road and discover that the car is so damn stiff it's knocking drivers silly from incidental contact. A decent computer simulation should have been able to figure that out like three years ago.
I guess I'll side more with nascar on this. Like Larson himself said drivers just basically run into each other as hard as they can because they can get away with it. When designing a car it's not something you would be expecting.

If you've ever designed something completely new you find out the customers will do all kinds of things that you would not have anticipated. So many time I've found myself asking "why would anyone do that?" They'll learn from it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I guess I'll side more with nascar on this. Like Larson himself said drivers just basically run into each other as hard as they can because they can get away with it. When designing a car it's not something you would be expecting.

If you've ever designed something completely new you find out the customers will do all kinds of things that you would not have anticipated. So many time I've found myself asking "why would anyone do that?" They'll learn from it.

Has NASCAR actually been WATCHING the races they put on? Did they not learn ANYTHING from the Xfinity Series and their bodies? Did they not learn anything from several years ago when they had to remove bumper bars to prevent people from slam drafting each other at the plate tracks? Did they bother to ASK anyone who has actually competed what they would do? I agree that there will always be little details that will crop up out of the blue, but this whole car rigidity issue is NOT one of them. If nothing else, more real world testing would have uncovered this if you couldn't figure it out in the design stage. This should have been REAL easy. Take a Gen 6 chassis and a new chassis, strap them into a crash test rig and run them into a wall backwards as fast as the equipment will allow. As long as your impact numbers are worse than the Gen 6 numbers, you do not take one more step forward until you figure it out. Until NASCAR can explain that away, nothing else they have to say on matter is worth $.02 as far as I'm concerned.

The front of KDB's car didn't bend a lot despite the huge impact.

No, it didn’t. I’ve wondered why the aluminum crush panel in front of the front bumper structure hasn’t had its gauge (thickness) reduced to mimic the change made at the rear.

I also wonder if anybody has been tasked with a re-examination of the Safer Barrier design.

No, it didn’t. I’ve wondered why the aluminum crush panel in front of the front bumper structure hasn’t had its gauge (thickness) reduced to mimic the change made at the rear.

I also wonder if anybody has been tasked with a re-examination of the Safer Barrier design.
We really need to see what it looks like under the nose skin after wreck like that. If hitting the wall at Daytona like that doesn't rupture the radiator, seems too stiff to me. Unfortunately the Newman wreck screwed up their expectations for how the car should survive. Always say they don't want to make decisions that might make something worse.

Seems to me that's exactly what they've done. The car just doesn't crush. But also the new body doesn't show what's happening under the skin.

And to be clear, completely agree with Aunty's last post. Maybe remove every third foam block from barrier? Move the rest around to get little more gap between? This actually is a really good idea. Or seems like it would be.

No negative news from the infield care centre.

Hopefully nobody wakes up with a bad headache over the next few days.
I wasn't pay much attention to the race and had sound muted. It's like watching the beltline. How many of the drivers were wearing the high dollar mouth guard that reads G-Force? Pretty interesting tech. Larson said gonna wear it in his dirt cars too to see how the forces compare.

Wow, anyone listen to Hamlin’s podcast today? Said they may be testing grooved tires soon to see if they can reduce grip/contact patch with the current tire width, as F1 ran for the balance of the 2000s.
Testing never hurt anything

Bought tickets for next week's Phoenix race yesterday. Was a little reluctant cause of how they raced there last year but this has me pretty excited for it now. First race since we moved out here from FL.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Erik Jones and Ross Chastain were the Chevy drivers who tested the short-track package at Phoenix. What Stenhouse and some of the other Chevy drivers had to say about the change and getting 50 minutes of practice at Phoenix: <a href="https://t.co/is8AZn2dk8">pic.twitter.com/is8AZn2dk8</a></p>&mdash; Bob Pockrass (@bobpockrass) <a href="">March 2, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1678319777231.png

2 5/8" Short track and road course spoiler and diffuser

1678319901145.png

Doug Yates says 750 HP would be an easy change to make for the engine builders. Much beyond that, not so much. But +80 HP would be a nice hike if it can be done as early as next year.

Back
Top Bottom