Pre Race Thread 2020 Big Machine Hand Sanitizer 400 (Brickyard 400) from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Bill and some kid
2016_BY400_BillChaseElliott02_1600x800.jpg

That race ended at like 9:30 eastern lol

An almost surreal experience to see it in person. All the late cautions were off the chart crazy, even wrecking on the front stretch. That race was going to end on the next flag whether it was the checker or not. It was DARK! You can say whatever you want about Indy not always being the best racing, but it has produced more than its share of unforgettable moments. I laughed like crazy walking out that night at the spectacle I had just seen.

I sure hope the 88 team unloads with a better car then they have had in the past few races. I'm running out of hair to pullout.

A month ago he was the presumptive champion.

Nobody wins it in May.
It's way to early to think to much about championships... But, the 88 team needs to get back to competing for wins like they were at the start of the season. The 9 team has stepped up but the 88 team has fallen back.

It's way to early to think to much about championships... But, the 88 team needs to get back to competing for wins like they were at the start of the season. The 9 team has stepped up but the 88 team has fallen back.
Bowman is in 8th place but that isn't telling the whole story. Comapred to Elliott in 4th place, they both have one win, Elliott has one more playoff point and one more stage win than Bowman does. Way to early to pump the brakes.

Bowman is in 8th place but that isn't telling the whole story. Comapred to Elliott in 4th place, they both have one win, Elliott has one more playoff point and one more stage win than Bowman does. Way to early to pump the brakes.
#9 team has 1 win, 6 top 5s, 2 top 10s and running at the finish in 13/15 races and has 150 stage points.

#88 team has 1 win, 1 top 5, 3 top 10s and running at the finish in 14/15 races and has 142 stage points.

I'm not to concerned about points right now. The 88 team is struggling a little but I have no doubt they will turn it around shortly and if it was at Indy it would be nice. After they turn their performance around the points will fall where they may. :)

#9 team has 1 win, 6 top 5s, 2 top 10s and running at the finish in 13/15 races and has 150 stage points.

#88 team has 1 win, 1 top 5, 3 top 10s and running at the finish in 14/15 races and has 142 stage points.
That 1 top 5 stat is the one I don't like.

Strange way of formatting the stat line. That's not how top 5s and top 10s are scored.

Elliot has 1 win, 7 top 5s, and 9 top 10s

Bowman has 1 win, 2 top 5s and 5 top 10s

Johnson has 0 wins, 2 top 5s and 6 top 10s

Byron is behind the ball. 48 has thrown away at least 3 top 10 finishes.

9, 88, and 48 all have top 10 speed almost each week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Strange way of formatting the stat line. That's not how top 5s and top 10s are scored.

Elliot has 1 win, 7 top 5s, and 9 top 10s

Bowman has 1 win, 2 top 5s and 5 top 10s

Johnson has 0 wins, 2 top 5s and 6 top 10s

Byron is behind the ball. 48 has thrown away at least 3 top 10 finishes.

9, 88, and 48 all have top 10 speed almost each week.

Yes, I understand. Although if a driver wins 10 times a season, those 10 wins are also counted as top 5s in that way of counting stats.

I was defining the finishes. Outside of wins, the #9 team has 6 top 5s. Outside of wins and top 5s, they have 2 top 10s. Etc...

ALL FOUR HMS cars are simply letting too many good finishes and opportunities to score stage points get away. Inspection penalties, uncontrolled tires, bouncing off the wall, curios pit strategy, wrecking, getting wrecked, you name it. I feel like the performance has been pretty good, especially compared to the last few seasons, but they just need to tighten things up and quit committing unforced errors. None of them are fast enough right now to just throw points away.

To get myself pumped up for this weekends Brickyard 400 I just finished watching the 1987, 88, and 89 Indy 500. :)

To get myself pumped up for this weekends Brickyard 400 I just finished watching the 1987, 88, and 89 Indy 500. :)

1987 and 1988 are two of my all time favorites, although the first 2/3rds of 1987 was pretty much just Mario out for a Sunday drive.

Yes, I understand. Although if a driver wins 10 times a season, those 10 wins are also counted as top 5s in that way of counting stats.

I was defining the finishes. Outside of wins, the #9 team has 6 top 5s. Outside of wins and top 5s, they have 2 top 10s. Etc...
Gotcha :)

When's the starting grid gonna be determined?

Can't see why not. Not saying I care. neither track is one of my top 5's. Indy has always catered to the Indycars when it came to making any changes that could help the Nascar racing there and the Indy road course is pretty uneventful. Marcus Smith did a much better job with less at Charlotte. It could all change with Penske, in fact I will be surprised if it doesn't.

The Indy road course NEEDS the help. It was designed for F1 cars, modified to suit motorcycles, them modified again for sports cars and Indycars. It's kind of like the old saying that a camel is a horse designed by a committee. Personally I don't think there is EVER much hope for flat terrain road courses, and this one is not even at the top of THAT category. I can't think of one single memorable race taking place there, other than the year half the F1 field boycotted the race. Someone asked me at one of the sports car races there which corner was the best to watch, and I replied, "It doesn't matter, they're ALL dull". In its current form it is particularly poorly suited to heavy cars that aren't very nimble......

It's going to be chaotic, its going to be crazy. I think the racing will be solid. Passing will be hard, but a lot of these guys will press he issue. We shall see, I like the idea to spice up IMS some.

Well his road course resume speaks for itself.
Best average finish at road courses over the last three seasons and fourth-best career average finish at road courses among active drivers. Decent enough.

After some research it’s kinda surprising only four active drivers have multiple road course wins at the Cup level.

Back
Top Bottom