RACE thread --- Homestead

DPCP95TXkAA7Art.jpg

That's awesome

I cant take anymore of NBC and their love affair for you know what.

Brad Keselowski on Toyota’s advantage in 2017: ‘I don’t think anyone ever had a shot this year’
Keselowski stirred controversy before the playoff opener at Chicagoland Speedway by tweeting that Toyota had the largest edge among NASCAR manufacturers in 40 years, and the Team Penske driver doubled down on these comments and said the field was covered from the Daytona 500.

“When that car rolled out at Daytona, and I think we all got to see it for the first time, I think there (were) two reactions: One, we couldn’t believe NASCAR approved it; and two, we were impressed by the design team over there,” he said. “I don’t think anyone ever had a shot this year the second that thing got put on the racetrack and approved. It kind of felt like Formula 1 where you had one car that made it through the gates heads and tails above everyone, and your hands are tied because you’re not allowed to do anything to the cars in those categories that NASCAR approves to really catch up.

“As to what will happen for 2018, you know, I don’t know. I would assume that Chevrolet will be allowed to design a car the same way that Toyota was for this one, but Ford doesn’t have any current plans for that. If that’s the case, we’re going to take a drubbing next year, so we’ll have to see.”

Chevrolet will unveil a new Camaro next season that drivers are expecting will have more downforce, similar to the 2018 Camry (which was put on the racetrack ahead of its appearance in the showroom).
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/11...-dont-think-anyone-ever-had-a-shot-this-year/

Holy crap , that Contender boat is over $100k, wow

Brad Keselowski on Toyota’s advantage in 2017: ‘I don’t think anyone ever had a shot this year’
Keselowski stirred controversy before the playoff opener at Chicagoland Speedway by tweeting that Toyota had the largest edge among NASCAR manufacturers in 40 years, and the Team Penske driver doubled down on these comments and said the field was covered from the Daytona 500.

“When that car rolled out at Daytona, and I think we all got to see it for the first time, I think there (were) two reactions: One, we couldn’t believe NASCAR approved it; and two, we were impressed by the design team over there,” he said. “I don’t think anyone ever had a shot this year the second that thing got put on the racetrack and approved. It kind of felt like Formula 1 where you had one car that made it through the gates heads and tails above everyone, and your hands are tied because you’re not allowed to do anything to the cars in those categories that NASCAR approves to really catch up.

“As to what will happen for 2018, you know, I don’t know. I would assume that Chevrolet will be allowed to design a car the same way that Toyota was for this one, but Ford doesn’t have any current plans for that. If that’s the case, we’re going to take a drubbing next year, so we’ll have to see.”

Chevrolet will unveil a new Camaro next season that drivers are expecting will have more downforce, similar to the 2018 Camry (which was put on the racetrack ahead of its appearance in the showroom).
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/11...-dont-think-anyone-ever-had-a-shot-this-year/

Blaming others for your shortcomings always make you the loser.

It was really cool popping in on this thread and imagining what was going on with only words to describe things. It reminded me of the days when all I had was the AM radio to keep in touch with what was going on and using my imagination to the max.

Thing is though, the Toyotas really weren't that dominant until the second half of the year. By the time we got to Daytona in July, Toyota only had two wins on the year, both of which belonged to Truex. So I'm not quite sure what Brad saw when they unloaded at Daytona in February. He's kind of insinuating that they dominated the entire season.

Thing is though, the Toyotas really weren't that dominant until the second half of the year. By the time we got to Daytona in July, Toyota only had two wins on the year, both of which belonged to Truex. So I'm not quite sure what Brad saw when they unloaded at Daytona in February. He's kind of insinuating that they dominated the entire season.

nope Feb 23 can am duel, May 13 open, May 20 all star, 4 out of top 5 @ 600 may 29th.(mic drop by KDBB) those are all before July.

nope Feb 23 can am duel, May 13 open, May 20 all star, 4 out of top 5 @ 600 may 29th.(mic drop by KDBB) those are all before July.
Lol, one of these was a qualifying race, one was an exhibition race, one was a qualifying race for an exhibition race, and the other was won by a Chevy. Doesn't exactly validate Brad's argument.

To be even more fair, its not “the toyotas”. It was just MTJ & KB.

Not like Erik Jones was out running em all.

you can minimize it all ya want bud nobody was laying down.
Well if we're throwing in qualifying and exhibition races, that still only means Toyota won 5 of 22 races before the 4th of July. Not exactly "nobody else having a chance".

Funny, I didn't hear Brad whining when the Fords were winning most of the races in the first half of the year.

The Yotas were almost always in the top 5's at the beginning of the season, Truex won Kansas and the next week at Charlotte Dillion had a fuel mileage win and the next 4 places lined up behind him were Yotas. They had speed out of the box even with the new front end that wasn't completely sorted out. After they got some more data from race experience, it went like it went. Next year will be different.

The Yotas were almost always in the top 5's at the beginning of the season, Truex won Kansas and the next week at Charlotte Dillion had a fuel mileage win and the next 4 places lined up behind him were Yotas. They had speed out of the box even with the new front end that wasn't completely sorted out. After they got some more data from race experience, it went like it went. Next year will be different.
I can see the Chevy's having a similar run next year with the new Camaro body. Might not be there the first half of the season, but in the second half watch out.

From where I sit it is a clear cut case of sour grapes.

Well if we're throwing in qualifying and exhibition races, that still only means Toyota won 5 of 22 races before the 4th of July. Not exactly "nobody else having a chance".

Funny, I didn't hear Brad whining when the Fords were winning most of the races in the first half of the year.

You are ruining my revisionist history. Please stop it now :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford never really had pace on the aero tracks. Of the eight first-half wins three were plate races, two short track races, and a road course race. That leaves us with Pocono (which Kyle Busch dominated) and Atlanta (which has the most tire wear on the circuit). The schedule is backloaded with tracks that weren't really their strength.

Ford never really had pace on the aero tracks. Of the eight first-half wins three were plate races, two short track races, and a road course race. That leaves us with Pocono (which Kyle Busch dominated) and Atlanta (which has the most tire wear on the circuit). The schedule is backloaded with tracks that weren't really their strength.
Kyle won the second Pocono race. Ryan Blaney won the first one.

Awesome job by Truex, so happy for him. That Kyle Busch interview wasn't even remotely close to being the same thing as Sadlers embarrassment, seriously go watch both again lol

I am going to miss Jr. and Kenseth.

I caught up in the excitement and almost forgot that this was their last race.

It was nice seeing all the respect being paid to Jr. I am a little disappointed that Keselowski made the only mention of Matt throughout the whole ordeal.

#88 and #20 are two of the best personalities to have ever graced the sport. :)

He's speaking the truth. Don't want to knock Truex or Busch cause they had great seasons but those cars DEFINITELY are good to the point where driver discrepency didn't make much of a difference. Truex executed and I am happy for him and he deserved it, but my well known stance on him still stands. That said, he executed near perfectly at Homestead. He deserved it, and won it.

But Brad K is right. We haven't seen this, atleast I havent since watching in the early 2000s. Every, single race. Brad is right.

But the problem is that it isnt illegal. Toyota prepared by far the best cup car for 2017.

I wonder, what would Edwards have done this season?

Larson's season was most impressive to me, but he lost speed around august

Nah, he was talking speed wise. And you are right, they werent that dominant. But on the clock, Truex, Kyle Busch were among the two fastest with the 42 from the start.

Kez said something to the effect when the playoffs started that Nascar hasn't seen anything this lopsided since the 70's. :idunno:
The manufacturer won 16 of 36 events during the season, including eight of the final ten.

Kez said something to the effect when the playoffs started that Nascar hasn't seen anything this lopsided since the 70's. :idunno:
The manufacturer won 16 of 36 events during the season, including eight of the final ten.

He must not have been paying attention in 2007 when Chevy won 26 points races with 3 other manufacture's in the sport at the time. Think they swept Speedweeks and the All Star race as well.

He must not have been paying attention in 2007 when Chevy won 26 points races with 3 other manufacture's in the sport at the time. Think they swept Speedweeks and the All Star race as well.
That is less surprising when you look at who was in each manufacturer's stable and consider that Toyota was brand new to the sport. Ford basically had three entries worth a hoot (four if you count McMurray); Dodge had two (Penske) and possibly four if you include JPM and Kahne. Half of that season was run with COT common aero anyways.

That is less surprising when you look at who was in each manufacturer's stable and consider that Toyota was brand new to the sport. Ford basically had three entries worth a hoot (four if you count McMurray); Dodge had two (Penske) and possibly four if you include JPM and Kahne. Half of that season was run with COT common aero anyways.

Still way more lopsided than this year. Ford just needs to get their **** together and redesign their car as that seems Keselowski's biggest gripe and its well over due.

Still way more lopsided than this year. Ford just needs to get their sh!t together and redesign their car as that seems Keselowski's biggest gripe and its well over due.
And this year could much more easily be attributed to actual OEM differences rather than having the deck stacked in terms of organizations and drivers.

Ford made a slight update to the 2014 car and a more notable update to the 2016 car. Should they have to update the race car (and simultaneously, the road car) annually just to stay on level ground? This year's Camry and next year's ZL1 make it apparent we could have an all-out aero war on our hands again, and I can see why drivers may not want that to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom