Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

NASCAR considering changes to look of Trucks: NASCAR met with representatives from all three manufacturers earlier this month at Dover to discuss the "facelift" to the trucks for 2014. The changes to the trucks come after NASCAR overhauled the Nationwide Series and introduced Pony Cars in 2010. This season, after six years of fans despising the Car of Tomorrow, the Generation 6 was introduced. So what about the trucks? "Trucks are a little bit trickier for us because we're not afforded some of the foundations with trucks that we have for the cars  meaning the common or the consistent or the certified chassis," said NASCAR Sprint Cup Series director John Darby, who attended the meeting. "The Truck series still has a lot of variances and frames and chassis and all that which makes it a much more difficult project because you want an end product that is controllable and very cost efficient for the truck teams. At the same time, we don't have an interest of tearing up every truck in existence." That's a bonus for the Truck teams  many which lack the sponsorship dollars or significant contribution from the series' purses to exercise a complete overhaul of their inventory. As the lone full-time Truck team owner in the Ford camp, Brad Keselowski Racing will be responsible for the F150 build. Keselowski calls the project "an interesting situation." While the manufacturers will design the latest concepts and develop the trucks, Turner-Scott Motorsports will construct the Chevy Silverado and Kyle Busch Motorsports will handle the Toyota Tundras. As a driver/owner who regularly competes in the Truck series, Busch would like to see some aerodynamic changes to the new trucks. Darby says he'd like to have all three trucks in the wind tunnel for base-line testing in the next two months before they are actually on track tests. "The project is actually moving forward pretty nicely with a very nice aesthetic result," Darby added. "It's goal is to do the same thing that we've done with Nationwide and the Gen 6 Cup car, [which] is to put the correct look of the truck back into the trucks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-mulls-facelift-for-trucks-062713#!gCh6B

NASCAR considering changes to look of Trucks: NASCAR met with representatives from all three manufacturers earlier this month at Dover to discuss the "facelift" to the trucks for 2014. The changes to the trucks come after NASCAR overhauled the Nationwide Series and introduced Pony Cars in 2010. This season, after six years of fans despising the Car of Tomorrow, the Generation 6 was introduced. So what about the trucks? "Trucks are a little bit trickier for us because we're not afforded some of the foundations with trucks that we have for the cars  meaning the common or the consistent or the certified chassis," said NASCAR Sprint Cup Series director John Darby, who attended the meeting. "The Truck series still has a lot of variances and frames and chassis and all that which makes it a much more difficult project because you want an end product that is controllable and very cost efficient for the truck teams. At the same time, we don't have an interest of tearing up every truck in existence." That's a bonus for the Truck teams  many which lack the sponsorship dollars or significant contribution from the series' purses to exercise a complete overhaul of their inventory. As the lone full-time Truck team owner in the Ford camp, Brad Keselowski Racing will be responsible for the F150 build. Keselowski calls the project "an interesting situation." While the manufacturers will design the latest concepts and develop the trucks, Turner-Scott Motorsports will construct the Chevy Silverado and Kyle Busch Motorsports will handle the Toyota Tundras. As a driver/owner who regularly competes in the Truck series, Busch would like to see some aerodynamic changes to the new trucks. Darby says he'd like to have all three trucks in the wind tunnel for base-line testing in the next two months before they are actually on track tests. "The project is actually moving forward pretty nicely with a very nice aesthetic result," Darby added. "It's goal is to do the same thing that we've done with Nationwide and the Gen 6 Cup car, [which] is to put the correct look of the truck back into the trucks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-mulls-facelift-for-trucks-062713#!gCh6B

Leave them alone.It's NOT broken.

Leave them alone.It's NOT broken.
Nice avatar mike honcho. My son and I went down to PNC park yesterday for that 6 1/2 hour, 14 inning, rain delayed 2-1 marathon. It was a great day at the ballpark. One of the best days I've had with the 18 year old birthday boy as part of a guys weekend. :D Take nothing for granted.

If the manufacturers want them updated then that's what will happen. The restrictions on horsepower is what makes the Trucks fun to watch. Updating the noses a bit won't hurt a goddam thing.

I'm all for it as long as they don't affect performance and I don't think they will. When the manufacturers first wanted newer "stock" bodies a few years ago and Ford and Dodge brought in the Mustang and Challenger for the Nationwide COT they really got the ball rolling and it's worked out pretty well.

kinda neat they are letting the truck owner/builders be involved a bit with the design. The trucks are looking a little long in tooth with the old style front ends.

kinda neat they are letting the truck owner/builders be involved a bit with the design. The trucks are looking a little long in tooth with the old style front ends.

I agree and think that it's probably time for a change.

I am stunned that this picture was NOT taken at a NASCAR race!
D5NA4jU.jpg

Mullet+Perm=Merm?

I saw in an article on ESPN that Keselowski thinks if Cup drivers are going to continue racing in the lower series they should only be allowed to do so in equipment not owned by a Cup team.

"There is a need for Cup drivers to be in there." Keselowski told reporters in Kentucky. "Does it need to be the whole Cup field? No. Are there more Cup drivers in there now than ever before? No. I still remember my first Nationwide start for JR Motorsports and there were like 26 Cup drivers in that race.

"We don't see that anymore. I think a lot of it is because of Kyle and his success and that isn't necessarily fair. On the other side of it, having been one of those guys trying to prove himself and driving as an inexperienced driver and not having all the resources that a Cup team has, you basically have zero shot at all of being successful or competitive."
Keselowski suggests Cup drivers either compete in their own equipment as Busch did a year ago at Kyle Busch Motorsports or for another team to balance out the competitive advantage Nationwide teams owned by Cup organizations have.

"I think it would return the competitive balance and give the drivers an opportunity to compensate for their disadvantages in experience and so forth." he said. "I think it naturally levels itself out. I felt that way at JR Motorsports. Even though we had some support from a Cup owner it still wasn't a Cup team and still wasn't a Cup-owned team in my mind."

It could work. Busch didn't win a race last season driving for KBM. His average finish was 11.1, compared to 4.8 this year with 11 top-5s in 12 races for JGR.

Busch said he is open to Keselowski's proposal.

"I don't mind that idea," he said. "I tried it last year with my team and it was fine. I felt like we had made a lot of gains throughout the year and late in the year my worst finish was 10th at Montreal and I got wrecked three times in that race.
"I don't mind racing my own stuff again, that would be fine."

Kyle's #18 is gonna look pretty good under the lights...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372815875213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372815875213.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 167
SIAP but I thought this was as an interesting article. Not all the parallels are valid but the article is as much about NASCAR's decline in popularity as it is about ACC expansion.

With the official addition Monday of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame, the ACC is mimicking NASCAR’s attempts to capitalize on its increasing popularity outside the South by leaving places like North Wilkesboro and Rockingham while taking away the Labor Day weekend Southern 500 from Darlington.

In pursuit of that larger, national demographic, NASCAR lost touch with what made it unique and popular in the first place, the venues and the personalities and the rough edges. People in Phoenix and Los Angeles and Chicago didn’t seem quite as interested. More disconcertingly, neither were some long-time fans.

“The loss of Rockingham and Wilkesboro and the cutting out of a race at Darlington backfired,” Wheeler said. “I thought if we didn’t have those races, Charlotte’s fall race would sell out. All those tracks had races that infringed on the time we were trying to sell tickets. The entire opposite happened. It made people mad, people in the South, race fans in the South. It was another example of cutting the working people out.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/01/4141722/decock-expanding-acc-follows-nascars.html

Guess with that bright green color it doesn't matter if they cover up most of the yellow rookie stripe, everyone knows who it is.

edit

damn, I posted in the wrong thread again . . .

They spend so much time on the looks of these cars. I wouldn't bother at a plate race, 70% of the field will end up damaged anyway.

From Marty Smith's Facebook:

Travis Pastrana just told me something interesting: He runs Carl Edwards' seats, and at every test, Edwards jumps in the 60 NNS car and runs one run on sticker tires and one of scuffs, to give Pastrana a baseline starting setup for each.

I thought this was interesting.

Travis Pastrana just told me something interesting: He runs Carl Edwards' seats, and at every test, Edwards jumps in the 60 NNS car and runs one run on sticker tires and one of scuffs, to give Pastrana a baseline starting setup for each.​

He can't tell the crew chief what the car is doing. On the one hand it is pretty insane, but on the other he is really doing pretty good for not knowing what he is doing.:)

It's common for veteran drivers to help rookie's set a baseline setup. And Travis has way less experience than most rookies.

Travis Pastrana just told me something interesting: He runs Carl Edwards' seats, and at every test, Edwards jumps in the 60 NNS car and runs one run on sticker tires and one of scuffs, to give Pastrana a baseline starting setup for each.​

He can't tell the crew chief what the car is doing. On the one hand it is pretty insane, but on the other he is really doing pretty good for not knowing what he is doing.:)
I hope Travis can learn a lot from Carl and he becomes more competitive in the future. He is one of the drivers I always root for.

• Terry Labonte could buy Phoenix Racing: There's been a "For Sale" sign outside of Phoenix Racing for some time now and there seems to be several interested buyers. Apparently, two-time NASCAR champion Terry Labonte is one of the parties interested in acquiring James Finch's race team. "James been trying to sell that thing for a long time and Terry told me about it, I hope Terry can do it," younger brother Bobby Labonte said Friday at Daytona International Speedway. "I think Terry would like to do it, but you've got to get money to feed the cow." Labonte would join Harry Scott, co-owner of Nationwide Series team Turner Scott Motorsports, and an unidentified potential buyer as those interested in the #51 Chevrolet.(Associated Press)(7-4-2013)

Terry Labonte Racing?

Back
Top Bottom