Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Sharknado invades Nascar. No driver or fan is safe!!!

one.PNG

I just heard about this sharknado stuff. lol who comes up with this stuff?

That would be the geniuses over at Sci-Fi channel (I refuse to spell it the new way).

Probably one of the "writers" had a bad acid trip and said, hey what if a tornado could spit out sharks? Either way, you will forever remember where you were when SharkNado struck.

That's funny, because I was going to post much the same thing about the acid / mushroom culture being alive and well in Hollyweed.

From Jayski:

Eldora tire developement a challenge for Goodyear: For Goodyear, the challenge of building tires for NASCAR is a diverse undertaking. Making safe and competitive tires as the exclusive supplier for NASCAR's top three national series means developing tires for race tracks ranging from one-half mile to 2.66 miles long, on concrete and asphalt, and surfaces as rough as a cheese grater and as smooth as glass. This season, with the Camping World Truck Series adding the dirt track of Eldora Speedway to the schedule, the challenge got even bigger. The inaugural "Mudsummer Classic," scheduled for Wednesday, July 24 at the half-mile track in Western Ohio, will be the first NASCAR national series race held on dirt in more than 40 years. But for Goodyear, who has been involved in a wide array of racing disciplines over the years, it was just a matter of dipping into the playbook and coming up with a solution. The new "Wrangler" tires that Goodyear will bring to Eldora for the Truck Series are based upon a dirt modified tire in its tire line. However, the NASCAR dirt tire has been widened to 11 inches (from 10 inches) to provide a larger contact patch with the track and give the trucks more grip. The two primary differences from the standard race tires run on ovals in NASCAR's top three series is that the Eldora tire will be a bias ply tire and feature a tread pattern. The bias ply tire construction is not as stiff as the radial tire used on paved NASCAR ovals, therefore it is more compliant and more able to envelope the irregularities of a dirt surface. As far as the tread, the Eldora tire features Goodyear's G23 pattern, which is a standard block pattern. It has grooves and biting edges to help evacuate dirt from underneath the tire, giving the trucks more grip. The tread compound itself is on the "softer" end of the spectrum, which will also help with grip. While the Eldora right-side tire will basically remain the same height as a NASCAR tire run on asphalt tracks, the left-side is a little shorter to build in more stagger, which will help the trucks turn better. For Goodyear, the tire development process started last October with a test on the 10-inch tire at Eldora with track owner and three-time Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart, former Camping World Truck Series champion Austin Dillon, and his brother and current Truck Series contender Ty Dillon. In addition to seeing how the tread pattern evacuated the dirt and the compound put down rubber, it was important that there were no clearance issues which could lead to the tires rubbing against the truck or its suspension parts. Once Goodyear produced the 11-inch tire, Ty Dillon went back to 311 Speedway, a dirt track in Pine Hall, NC. When everything checked out with that test, Goodyear had its Eldora tire.(Goodyear PR)

From Jayski:

Eldora tire developement a challenge for Goodyear: For Goodyear, the challenge of building tires for NASCAR is a diverse undertaking. Making safe and competitive tires as the exclusive supplier for NASCAR's top three national series means developing tires for race tracks ranging from one-half mile to 2.66 miles long, on concrete and asphalt, and surfaces as rough as a cheese grater and as smooth as glass. This season, with the Camping World Truck Series adding the dirt track of Eldora Speedway to the schedule, the challenge got even bigger. The inaugural "Mudsummer Classic," scheduled for Wednesday, July 24 at the half-mile track in Western Ohio, will be the first NASCAR national series race held on dirt in more than 40 years. But for Goodyear, who has been involved in a wide array of racing disciplines over the years, it was just a matter of dipping into the playbook and coming up with a solution. The new "Wrangler" tires that Goodyear will bring to Eldora for the Truck Series are based upon a dirt modified tire in its tire line. However, the NASCAR dirt tire has been widened to 11 inches (from 10 inches) to provide a larger contact patch with the track and give the trucks more grip. The two primary differences from the standard race tires run on ovals in NASCAR's top three series is that the Eldora tire will be a bias ply tire and feature a tread pattern. The bias ply tire construction is not as stiff as the radial tire used on paved NASCAR ovals, therefore it is more compliant and more able to envelope the irregularities of a dirt surface. As far as the tread, the Eldora tire features Goodyear's G23 pattern, which is a standard block pattern. It has grooves and biting edges to help evacuate dirt from underneath the tire, giving the trucks more grip. The tread compound itself is on the "softer" end of the spectrum, which will also help with grip. While the Eldora right-side tire will basically remain the same height as a NASCAR tire run on asphalt tracks, the left-side is a little shorter to build in more stagger, which will help the trucks turn better. For Goodyear, the tire development process started last October with a test on the 10-inch tire at Eldora with track owner and three-time Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart, former Camping World Truck Series champion Austin Dillon, and his brother and current Truck Series contender Ty Dillon. In addition to seeing how the tread pattern evacuated the dirt and the compound put down rubber, it was important that there were no clearance issues which could lead to the tires rubbing against the truck or its suspension parts. Once Goodyear produced the 11-inch tire, Ty Dillon went back to 311 Speedway, a dirt track in Pine Hall, NC. When everything checked out with that test, Goodyear had its Eldora tire.(Goodyear PR)

Curious. Are the regular tires in Truck Series branded as "Goodyear Wrangler" or are they just calling them Wrangler because it's a dirt track?

I have Goodyear Wranglers on my truck. I refuse to buy cheap Chinese no-name tires. Even the Chinese tires companies that are owned by big companies like Goodyear or Michelin get the sub-par rubber while the good rubber goes to the flagship brand. Look it up if you don't believe me. Plus, I drive a Ford Explorer we all know about those things and tires.

Curious. Are the regular tires in Truck Series branded as "Goodyear Wrangler" or are they just calling them Wrangler because it's a dirt track?

I have Goodyear Wranglers on my truck. I refuse to buy cheap Chinese no-name tires. Even the Chinese tires companies that are owned by big companies like Goodyear or Michelin get the sub-par rubber while the good rubber goes to the flagship brand. Look it up if you don't believe me. Plus, I drive a Ford Explorer we all know about those things and tires.

Yeah, their regular tires are Wranglers too.

NASCAR suspends use of aerial cameras by networks: Friday, NASCAR suspended the use aerial camera systems in response to the accident cause by a Fox camera at Charlotte Motor Speedway. NASCAR's statement: "Pending further investigation of the cable camera system incident during the NASCAR race in Concord, North Carolina in May, NASCAR has decided, in collaboration with its broadcast partners, to suspend all media partner usage of aerial camera systems that hang over race tracks during its sanctioned events. The safety of our competitors and our fans remains NASCAR's number one priority, and until total evaluation and analysis have been completed, usage of this particular technology enhancement and any similar enhancements, has been suspended."(NASCAR)(7-19-2013)

NASCAR suspends use of aerial cameras by networks: Friday, NASCAR suspended the use aerial camera systems in response to the accident cause by a Fox camera at Charlotte Motor Speedway. NASCAR's statement: "Pending further investigation of the cable camera system incident during the NASCAR race in Concord, North Carolina in May, NASCAR has decided, in collaboration with its broadcast partners, to suspend all media partner usage of aerial camera systems that hang over race tracks during its sanctioned events. The safety of our competitors and our fans remains NASCAR's number one priority, and until total evaluation and analysis have been completed, usage of this particular technology enhancement and any similar enhancements, has been suspended."(NASCAR)(7-19-2013)

As much as I enjoyed those camera shots, I agree with NASCAR. No system is foolproof --- back to the drawing board. Find out what happened, and fix it.

During the ARCA race one of the CC's told his drive he was one lap to the good. He ran out 7 laps before the finish. That's some Steve Addington calculations right there.

Am I the only one who wants to see Kahne in the Great Clips scheme and a JGR driver in the Sport Clips scheme run in the same race and both qualify on the front row?

I dont know why, but that would amuse me.

*Note-I personally think the Sport Clips scheme is one of the best in NASCAR. Shame we dont see it very often.

Am I the only one who wants to see Kahne in the Great Clips scheme and a JGR driver in the Sport Clips scheme run in the same race and both qualify on the front row?

I dont know why, but that would amuse me.

*Note-I personally think the Sport Clips scheme is one of the best in NASCAR. Shame we dont see it very often.

Those cars would look great running side-by-side, even better if they were racing to the finish line.

great clips.jpg
sport clips.jpg

I might be biased because Sport Clips is about the best place ever to get your haircut if you are a dude.

I just assumed Woonsocket wanted to make a tourism commercial but had a tiny budget. That barbershop looks pretty awesome.

The closest Sport Clips is an hour drive to the St. Louis metro area or Marion and there are no barbershops that cater to the bros around here.

YEP. He truly sucked after the shave and haircut.

At the risk of opening myself up to ridicule, I actually enjoyed that episode.

So, do you think NASCAR will host more dirt track events in the future?

Maybe Eldora will prompt Speed to give WoO a better TV package?

Don't know, but nascar should come up with a real dirt program and new car specs before they add more dirt races. I'm sure the likely hood that all that extra power and weight would rip up the track is why they kept the track so slick. Even with speeds that low, the track started to break up in places.

Don't know, but nascar should come up with a real dirt program and new car specs before they add more dirt races. I'm sure the likely hood that all that extra power and weight would rip up the track is why they kept the track so slick. Even with speeds that low, the track started to break up in places.

The track workers did nothing to the track surface after the late models ran because it was well rubbered up towards the top. The trucks ran 150 laps with no adjustments to the surface.

From Jayski:

Last time a race winner skipped the next race? With Brian Vickers not running the Sprint Cup Series race at Indy this week, yet winning the last Cup race run at New Hampshire on July 14th, who was the last race winner NOT to attempts the following event?

That would be Brad Keselowski, who won at Talladega in April 2009 running the #09 Chevy for Phoenix Racing and did not run the following race at Richmond in May 2009. Before that it was Jamie McMurray, who won at Charlotte in October 2002 in his 2nd career Cup start and didn't race the following week at Martinsville.(7-25-2013)

Back
Top Bottom