Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Another reason it's a good thing that Walmart isn't a NASCAR sponsor:
XcnkYSo.jpg

With his NASCAR Nationwide plans locked up for next season, Trevor Bayne is eyeing to accompany that with a full season in Sprint Cup.

Bayne, winner of the 2011 Daytona 500, has competed part-time in Cup with the Wood Brothers in the No. 21 Ford for the past four seasons. If sponsorship could be found Bayne could run some Cup races in a fourth car for Roush Fenway Racing, who fields his Nationwide ride.

"We haven’t made an announcement on the Cup side yet," Bayne said. "We are working to fill-up the schedule whether its partial '6', partial '21', just the '21' or all '6'. You never know what can happen as far as sponsorship is concerned and that's the only thing that's holding us back from being full-time in the Cup Series.

"I think my ideal goal would be to run the '21' car those 12-16 races and then fill in the rest with the '6' car would be great."

http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/R...es/2013/08/Bayne-Eyes-Full-Season-in-Cup.aspx

Bayne certainly showed a lot of promise and expectations (mine included) skyrocketed with that Daytona 500 win. I know that he had some health issues a while back but I think that his career since then has somewhat stalled. Keeping in mind that he is merely 22 y/o.

He's been a disappointment so far this year for sure.

I can't believe how much crap the other Nationwide drivers let him get away with.
lap after lap, he held up the field at Bristol, and they let him get away with it. Finally they fixed his car and he ran pretty good at the last of the race. He should have been run to the back when he was off instead of blocking and getting away with it IMO. Larson thinks he is in a driver popularity contest, hell, he followed him longer than anybody else.

Why the hell is Roush thinking of going to 4 cars? They've had speed issues and let's face it, Edwards is the only real talent they have.

A little late, but I thought this was good news.

Attendance at Watkins Glen near record: Another thrilling finish and perfect race day weather kept a near-record crowd of NASCAR Sprint Cup fans entertained this weekend at Watkins Glen International. Kyle Busch held off a charging Brad Keselowski in the final turn of the 90-lap Cheez-It 355 at The Glen before a crowd that WGI president Michael Printup said was about 94,000, an increase of 3,000 over last year and one of the largest crowds in the 28-year modern history of the Sprint Cup event at Watkins Glen. "We beat the heck out of that number last year," Printup said. "The weekend was fantastic. The fans were happy and the drivers were happy." Printups crowd statement gives an accurate gauge on NASCAR attendance at Watkins Glen for the first time. It has been a policy of the Glen's parent owner, International Speedway Corporation, Inc., not to give out attendance figures because it is a publicly-held company. Instead, the media had to rely on NASCAR to provide crowd estimates at their race events, a policy that was dropped this year. NASCAR's estimates were not always accurate. Last year, they estimated 90,000 attended the Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen; Printup said it was actually 91,000. "We own our own ticketing system, so its really easy to determine", he said. Printup had hoped to beat the attendance record, which he said was 94,300 in 2002. Rain and road closings on Thursday and Friday had a slight negative impact on an otherwise near-perfect weekend. The only issue Printup cited was some traffic snarls entering the track due to some signage mix-ups.

http://www.stargazette.com/article/...ar-record-crowd-Cheez-355-Glen?nclick_check=1

NNS and NSCS Saturday practice sessions from Atlanta will be shown on FS2 next week. I suspect this will cause considerable consternation among non-subscribers.

That's what happens when you post and drive. I knew there was one but couldn't find it so I figured that I'd post it here. Better than posting a new thread, don't ya think?

Yes, but you lost a bunch of 'breaking news' points because nobody saw it. I got the points instead. ;)

And texting / posting while driving is bad, bad, bad.

It FOX Sports 1 is reporting it then it's my understanding that the news cannot be trusted. Andy says FOX Sports 1 is the Devil or something along those lines. I'm having trouble keeping up with the hatred these days. Sometimes I think I'm supposed to hate ESPN and then it's FOX Sports 1. I'm so confused.
"I hate every single one of them." - Clint Bowyer.

Maybe this can help with your fantasy picks?

Here’s a list of tests scheduled for Cup tracks through the end of the season.

Richmond International Raceway

Aug. 26-27: Stewart Haas Racing, BK Racing, Swan Racing and Kyle Busch Motorsports

Oct. 22-23: by Coupon Companion">Goodyear tire test for 2014 (teams to be determined)

Chicagoland Speedway

Aug. 27-28: Michael Waltrip Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports, Penske Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing

Sept. 24-25: Goodyear tire test for 2014 (teams to be determined)

New Hampshire Motor Speedway

Aug. 13-14: Hendrick Motorsports

Sept. 3: Richard Childress Racing

Dover International Speedway

Sept. 9-10: Joe Gibbs Racing

Kansas Speedway

Oct. 3: All Cup teams given a test day since Goodyear is bringing a new tire.

Martinsville Speedway

Oct. 7-9: Roush Fenway Racing

Oct. 8-9: Furniture Row Racing, Brad Keselowski Racing

Texas Motor Speedway

Oct. 14-15: Hendrick Motorsports

Oct. 16: Roush Fenway Racing.

Oct. 22-23: Richard Childress Racing

Phoenix International Raceway

Sept. 10-11: Goodyear tire test with teams of Danica Patrick, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Juan Pablo Montoya, Brian Vickers, Jeff Burton

Bristol Motor Speedway

Sept. 17: Goodyear tire test for Nationwide teams of Trevor Bayne, Regan Smith and Kyle Busch for 2014.

Not really surprised, he looked pretty shaken up inside the car during replays. From Jayski:

Truex, Jr. has broken wrist; will drive at Atlanta: An MRI on Monday confirmed a scaphoid fracture and sprain of #56-Martin Truex Jr.'s right wrist suffered in Saturday nights accident at Bristol Motor Speedway. Doctors fitted Truex with a special cast Tuesday hell wear indefinitely. The cast enables him to better grip the steering wheel and compete in Sundays NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway as well as the 11 remaining races. Truex worked closely with NASCAR this week and has been cleared to race. A multi-car crash collected Truex on lap 448 Saturday sending the NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota into the outside wall. Truex was treated in the medical center Saturday. MWR has yet to determine if a stand-by driver is needed for this weekend. Truex is 14th in the points and holds the first of two wildcard entries as he seeks his second consecutive berth in NASCARs Chase the for Sprint Cup.

Not really surprised, he looked pretty shaken up inside the car during replays. From Jayski:

Truex, Jr. has broken wrist; will drive at Atlanta: An MRI on Monday confirmed a scaphoid fracture and sprain of #56-Martin Truex Jr.'s right wrist suffered in Saturday nights accident at Bristol Motor Speedway. Doctors fitted Truex with a special cast Tuesday hell wear indefinitely. The cast enables him to better grip the steering wheel and compete in Sundays NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway as well as the 11 remaining races. Truex worked closely with NASCAR this week and has been cleared to race. A multi-car crash collected Truex on lap 448 Saturday sending the NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota into the outside wall. Truex was treated in the medical center Saturday. MWR has yet to determine if a stand-by driver is needed for this weekend. Truex is 14th in the points and holds the first of two wildcard entries as he seeks his second consecutive berth in NASCARs Chase the for Sprint Cup.
That sucks.

I watched Davey Allison race Watkins Glen in 1991 with a broken wrist in a cast although at the moment, I can't remember which one. Anyhow, he finished 10th. If Truex is half the man, he'll do just fine.

sorry if already posted somewhere

Martin Truex JR broke his wrist Saturday night at Bristol but will race this weekend at Atlanta.

That sucks.

I watched Davey Allison race Watkins Glen in 1991 with a broken wrist in a cast although at the moment, I can't remember which one. Anyhow, he finished 10th. If Truex is half the man, he'll do just fine.
I think if he finishes around there it will be a good performance. Atlanta is a tough track and that injury sounds painful. Hopefully it really isn't.

Great news from Jayski:

Bristol TV Ratings: With an average of 6.3 million people watching, ABC's live telecast of the Irwin Tools Night Race for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Motor Speedway on Saturday night, Aug. 24, was the most-viewed version of the race since ESPN and ABC returned to live NASCAR coverage in 2007. The viewership average of 6,322,082 was up from the average of 5,905,051 from last years race, according to the Nielsen Company. The telecast earned a 3.9 U.S. household rating, up from a 3.7 for last years race, despite the race not airing on ABC in seven markets due to ABC affiliates airing NFL pre-season football games. With a 9.4 rating, Greenville, S.C., was the nations highest-rated market, followed by Knoxville, Tenn., and Greensboro, N.C., at 8.9. Charlotte, N.C., was fourth with an 8.7 rating with Richmond, Va., fifth at 8.2. Rounding out the top 10 were Norfolk, Va., 7.3; Indianapolis and Birmingham, Ala., at 6.3; Raleigh-Durham, N.C., at 6.2 and Orlando, Fla., at 6.1.
ESPN's live telecast of the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Bristol on Friday night, Aug. 23, earned a 1.1 U.S. household rating, averaging 1,686,962 viewers. The rating was the same as last years race but viewership was up from 1,599,526 in 2012.

I think if he finishes around there it will be a good performance. Atlanta is a tough track and that injury sounds painful. Hopefully it really isn't.

Tough decision . This is a really good track for Truex and I had him very high on my list .That , added to the fact that I'm down to a limited number of picks with others , makes it hard to take Truex out of the lineup. Anyone know his Doctor's phone number?

Wiping the drool off the monitor. Love that picture, dpk. It's quite similar to the view I had when I would go to Bristol --- although I didn't get
to stand right under the lights. :)

Back
Top Bottom