Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Except open wheel racing was doing it way before any movie, and it doesn't involve nitrous oxide.

I don't know why NASCAR fans have such a hostility to the push-to-pass mechanic. They have a limited number of uses. It's created exciting racing, both on ovals and especially on road courses. Considering all the bitching I see on a weekly basis here about "boring races" in NASCAR practically every week, maybe NASCAR should consider something similar. It'd be easy to implement now that the cars have an ECU.

It is something to look at I suppose. Indy cars are so different, in most cases on an oval, they can run flat out in the corners and use something like the push to pass with all the down force and the wings and all. It might get really interesting in Nascar having to slam on the brakes after a pass on the straight to make it thru the corner. Watching Indy Car qualifying at Fontana and they are running flat out around the track..they need push to pass.

Except open wheel racing was doing it way before any movie, and it doesn't involve nitrous oxide.

I don't know why NASCAR fans have such a hostility to the push-to-pass mechanic. They have a limited number of uses. It's created exciting racing, both on ovals and especially on road courses. Considering all the bitching I see on a weekly basis here about "boring races" in NASCAR practically every week, maybe NASCAR should consider something similar. It'd be easy to implement now that the cars have an ECU.
Cup cars are already going 210+ mph going into the turns at some racetracks. Cup cars weigh twice as much as an Indy series racecar, without all the fancy adjustable aero wings, spoilers, etc.
Push to pass works in Indy cars, IMO, it's not applicable, needed or wanted in NASCAR.
Die hard stock car fans couldn't care less about open wheel racing, but we'll watch it over golf, if there's no NASCAR on TV.

If I was going to pick a change Nascar could make, it would be not mandating the rear end gear they have to run. bunch of money is spent to get an engine to live at over 8500 RPM, so it would gives teams more wiggle room to work with on the engine package side.

FWIW, Push-to-pass is used only on road and street courses in IndyCar.
Correct, but I believe they had it on ovals until Wheldon was killed. I know for sure there was a point in time in CART for sure where they could push-to-pass on ovals.
Cup cars are already going 210+ mph going into the turns at some racetracks.
Irrelevant. You do know how push-to-pass works, right? For layman's terms, let's say the engine normally runs at 95% output. The push-to-pass just temporarily gives the drivers the extra 5%.
Cup cars weigh twice as much as an Indy series racecar, without all the fancy adjustable aero wings, spoilers, etc.
I sure hear a lot about all the fancy adjustable track bars and sway bars in NASCAR and ****** spring rubbers.
Push to pass works in Indy cars, IMO, it's not applicable, needed or wanted in NASCAR.
When half the fans on this forum are complaining about how boring the racing is, NASCAR has a problem with the spectacle.
Die hard stock car fans couldn't care less about open wheel racing, but we'll watch it over golf, if there's no NASCAR on TV.
I like how the most gravest insult somebody can make on this forum is that "you're not a real NASCAR fan because you're too young/too old/too nice/too mean/too stupid/too smart". I grew up watching NASCAR, IndyCar and NHRA. Spare me the petty insults. I like almost all forms of motor sports.

FWIW, Push-to-pass is used only on road and street courses in IndyCar.
yeah that's right, they have the two top gears on ovals now right? BTW A.J is running this weekend in Indy Car, they are acting like he is a ringer for Penske..he also said he would much prefer to race in Nascar..twice as many races, almost every weekend.

Correct, but I believe they had it on ovals until Wheldon was killed. I know for sure there was a point in time in CART for sure where they could push-to-pass on ovals.

Irrelevant. You do know how push-to-pass works, right? For layman's terms, let's say the engine normally runs at 95% output. The push-to-pass just temporarily gives the drivers the extra 5%.

I sure hear a lot about all the fancy adjustable track bars and sway bars in NASCAR and ****** spring rubbers.

When half the fans on this forum are complaining about how boring the racing is, NASCAR has a problem with the spectacle.

I like how the most gravest insult somebody can make on this forum is that "you're not a real NASCAR fan because you're too young/too old/too nice/too mean/too stupid/too smart". I grew up watching NASCAR, IndyCar and NHRA. Spare me the petty insults. I like almost all forms of motor sports.
Drop your purse. None of it was meant to be a "petty insult." (Maybe the "drop your purse" comment is but you opened the door ;) )
Yeah, I'm aware of how push to pass works. So, it'd be like everyone is running a plate at every track except for whenever they wanna hit the little button.
Like I said, IMO, not necessary or wanted in NASCAR.

Drop your purse. None of it was meant to be a "petty insult." (Maybe the "drop your purse" comment is but you opened the door ;) )
Yeah, I'm aware of how push to pass works. So, it'd be like everyone is running a plate at every track except for whenever they wanna hit the little button.
Like I said, IMO, not necessary or wanted in NASCAR.
Way different than the restrictor plates, dude. You're a gear head right? The push-to-pass button just advances the ignition timing and pushes the fuel mixture full rich to get the last ounces of horsepower from the engine.

Come to think of it, RP races would be much better if the drivers could override the effects of RP for little bursts at a time. I think you're brilliant. :D

Way different than the restrictor plates, dude. You're a gear head right? The push-to-pass button just advances the ignition timing and pushes the fuel mixture full rich to get the last ounces of horsepower from the engine.

Come to think of it, RP races would be much better if the drivers could override the effects of RP for little bursts at a time. I think you're brilliant. :D
Indy motors and NASCAR American V8's are nothing alike. You can only advance timing so far on an engine without variable valve timing. I'm guessing Cup motors don't have more than 38 degrees total advance.

I don't even think the passenger cars today that have variable valve timing run as much total ignition timing as a NASCAR engine. There's not a whole lot of in depth technical info available online. I was able to find some info on the ECU's. They're designed to not work with any other software and any attempt to alter the performance parameters will be detectable. I wonder how many guys are trying to hack one one of ECU's. You have to assume someone has looked into it. :D

uploadfromtaptalk1382152480440.jpg

Kyle Busch on the future of Kyle Busch Motorsports.....

"No, unfortunately we don't (know our plans) and a lot of that comes from the unknown with what's going on in the world of sponsorship. For
the Truck series it's very tough. For Kyle Busch Motorsports, it's been very tough. You know obviously without the support of Toyota that we get, we probably wouldn't be here, so we appreciate them as much as they do for us, as much as they do for JGR (Joe Gibbs Racing), MWR (Michael Waltrip Racing) and all the Toyota teams," Busch said.

"It's a little frustrating to not have a better plan organized right now and I'd certainly like to keep it the same if not better than what we've got, but it doesn't look like much is materializing and it's really late in the game. Always is and Trucks especially, it's year to year whether you can keep yourself afloat."

Kyle Busch on the future of Kyle Busch Motorsports.....

"No, unfortunately we don't (know our plans) and a lot of that comes from the unknown with what's going on in the world of sponsorship. For
the Truck series it's very tough. For Kyle Busch Motorsports, it's been very tough. You know obviously without the support of Toyota that we get, we probably wouldn't be here, so we appreciate them as much as they do for us, as much as they do for JGR (Joe Gibbs Racing), MWR (Michael Waltrip Racing) and all the Toyota teams," Busch said.

"It's a little frustrating to not have a better plan organized right now and I'd certainly like to keep it the same if not better than what we've got, but it doesn't look like much is materializing and it's really late in the game. Always is and Trucks especially, it's year to year whether you can keep yourself afloat."

They probably want Kyle or another big name driver. It stinks because Kyle tried to give developing drivers a shot in his trucks.

With the wave around the lucky dog is pretty pointless.

IMO, the lucky dog is an abomination. It's hard to believe that it was ever introduced considering that it allows a driver to get a lap back for absolutely no reason.

The wave around, the other hand, is necessary now that there are double file restarts. At least the driver has to sacrifice being able to pit in order to get a lap back.

Apples and oranges in my book.

IMO, the lucky dog is an abomination. It's hard to believe that it was ever introduced considering that it allows a driver to get a lap back for absolutely no reason.

The wave around, the other hand, is necessary now that there are double file restarts. At least the driver has to sacrifice being able to pit in order to get a lap back.

Apples and oranges in my book.

Yep! The wave around is getting something for giving up something. The lucky dog is simply welfare.

While I'm not a huge fan of the lucky dog, I always hated the mad, crazy dash to get back to the line before the leader to get a lap back.
I remember quite vividly the sight of Dale Jarrett sitting in the middle of the track at M'ville and the cars running flat out to beat the leader and just barely missing him. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd rather have 1 car getting a lap back for free than having a driver hurt.
The only other possible alternatives are either be faster than the leader, or it sucks to be you a lap down.

While I'm not a huge fan of the lucky dog, I always hated the mad, crazy dash to get back to the line before the leader to get a lap back.
I remember quite vividly the sight of Dale Jarrett sitting in the middle of the track at M'ville and the cars running flat out to beat the leader and just barely missing him. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd rather have 1 car getting a lap back for free than having a driver hurt.
The only other possible alternatives are either be faster than the leader, or it sucks to be you a lap down.

Exactly.

When a car is a lap down it's usually, if not always, for a damn good reason.

IMO, getting a lap back for no good reason is not good racing.

I don't mind the free pass since they changed the rules regarding fueling. Also it gives the guys deeper in the pack something for which to race.

Nothing is wrong with the free pass, racing back to the caution worked on the lower speed small tracks, but shutting them down when a caution flies and giving the first car that is a lap down the lucky dog is one of Nascar's better ideas IMO. Simple to do and

easy to get it right, computers take care of it. The yellow line rule came right after Dale Sr. died, and has been a problem every since. I think it is OK for the body of the race, but it should be removed for at least the last lap maybe the last two laps. Too many

wrecks and having Nascar involved in picking the winner have been caused by this imaginary boundary. They have changed their minds back and forth too many times..they say no racing below the yellow line period, then they say..oh yeah if you are forced

below the line it is OK, get back in line asap, and if the car ahead of you forces you down...we will black flag that car. and yeah OK, you can drive down there just don't advance your position, then no, even though you were forced down by the driver

ahead of you..he is supposed to be black flagged by the way, it is OK for the black flagged car to do so, and you lose, and the supposed black flagged car wins. What a mess.

And it was unnerving at best .
London,TRL .I was there ....

So, why is pit row usually closed when a caution comes out? Is it a safety reason or what?

"...The second change was an attempt to shorten the average length of the yellow flag periods. Previously the drivers would drive around just slightly above caution speed until they caught up with the pacecar and then pit road would be opened for the lead lap cars to pit. Starting with Pocono the pits were to be opened the second time that the leader came past the pit opening, regardless of when they caught up with the pace car. This rule change still needs some tweaks..."
From here...> http://nascar.about.com/od/nextelcuptracks/a/poconotweaks04.htm

"...The second change was an attempt to shorten the average length of the yellow flag periods. Previously the drivers would drive around just slightly above caution speed until they caught up with the pacecar and then pit road would be opened for the lead lap cars to pit. Starting with Pocono the pits were to be opened the second time that the leader came past the pit opening, regardless of when they caught up with the pace car. This rule change still needs some tweaks..."
From here...> http://nascar.about.com/od/nextelcuptracks/a/poconotweaks04.htm

Interesting. Wouldn't it be a bit more fair to have every slow to caution speed and start pitting with no 'catching up'? The first time the pace car passes the pit road entrance, the pits are open. Then the guys who got some distance on the previous position would get to utilize a little of that advantage on pit road.

Interesting. Wouldn't it be a bit more fair to have every slow to caution speed and start pitting with no 'catching up'? The first time the pace car passes the pit road entrance, the pits are open. Then the guys who got some distance on the previous position would get to utilize a little of that advantage on pit road.
I keep losing track on this. I thought we were working on fixing aero and plate racing and now we're on to fixing the pit stop procedures? It's tough keeping up. :D

We probably need a dedicated thread where we can identify and fix all of the problems associated with NASCAR. Wait a second. We already do. It's all of the threads that are below this one. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom