Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Mark Martin finished 10th or better in the standings a whooping 17 times, 12 of those consecutive from 1989-2000. During that span, he never finished below 8th.

I think he'll forever be the greatest driver to never win a championship. Denny Hamlin has more wins & crown jewels, but Martin was more consistent. He didn't win a title because he had to compete with guys like Dale Earnhardt & Jeff Gordon.

Mark Martin finished 10th or better in the standings a whooping 17 times, 12 of those consecutive from 1989-2000. During that span, he never finished below 8th.

I think he'll forever be the greatest driver to never win a championship. Denny Hamlin has more wins & crown jewels, but Martin was more consistent. He didn't win a title because he had to compete with guys like Dale Earnhardt & Jeff Gordon.
Denny Hamlin is Mark Martin caliber. They are both elite Cup class.

And Denny had to compete with Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart.

I can't really compare them anymore looking at stuff like titles because the Chase/Playoffs totally shifts behavior both in races and across championships and also doesn't reward the best driver each year. Eye test and blah-blah-blah, I'd take Martin because his style of racing is much more to my taste and I agree that he was in an era that had outstanding talent. Martin also had something Hamlin won't have for the foreseeable future: success outside NASCAR that further validates his greatness. The best pavement late model talents of Martin's era included Martin, and pretty much all of them wound up in Cup or Xfinity to compete against him. I can't say that is true today (and I know I'll get some pushback but you know it's true too).

Found on Facebook... a jewel.
wow.jpg

Really surprised petty with his 1100+ career starts didn't make the top 10. How did he not finish on the lead lap in more than half his starts?? Something seems fishy here. I guess they weren't all considered cup starts? How about Ricky rudd?

The stat is skewed toward more recent drivers who have had longer careers. More recent drivers are also aided by the improved reliability of cars and components.

I'd like to see it as a percentage of lead lap finishes out of total starts, with a minimum of 90 starts, although the reliability is still going to skew toward the 2000's.

I guess the late 80s and early 90s really hurt Petty's stats, still extremely surprised that he had less than 400 lead lap finishes in over 1100 starts. Not a stat you would expect from the king.

Back
Top Bottom