real race cars on track in two weeks

one of the dumbest looking race cars on the planet IMO^^
They look like an awkward teenager that got stuck that way.

Give me a winged 410 sprint or big block mod anyday
5d18f1f5a517e.jpeg
weedsport-9-17-16006-660x404.jpg

one of the dumbest looking race cars on the planet IMO^^

Boy I agree with you 1000% on that. Not only are the cars so freakin ugly they make me long for CoT car, what racing I've actually watched didn't impress or interest me one bit.

local news interviewed a local dirt racer, showed his Sim setup he is using until racing resumes. He said they are opening up the dirt tracks next week.

Testing is allowed, but they might've had too many people testing.

I'm actually afraid of what this is going to do to dirt racing. Those drivers are getting their first whiff of that testing culture, and once you open the door to unlimited testing, you can't close it. It's asphalt racing's biggest problem and it's probably going to run a lot of small guys out of dirt racing.

Nah it won’t. Testing is fairly common on local tracks anyways, and there are usually hours of hot laps before dirt track nights anyways.

Also the money is much much bigger in local dirt track racing than in asphalts. I know in Ohio there’s regular $5-10K to win nights for the 410s, and Eldora has some massive pots as well. Besides the WoO has serious sponsorship throughout the entire series and already clean up a lot of the high dollar races

Nah it won’t. Testing is fairly common on local tracks anyways, and there are usually hours of hot laps before dirt track nights anyways.

Also the money is much much bigger in local dirt track racing than in asphalts. I know in Ohio there’s regular $5-10K to win nights for the 410s, and Eldora has some massive pots as well. Besides the WoO has serious sponsorship throughout the entire series and already clean up a lot of the high dollar races

I'm just not sure the money will be there after it's over. But dirt is still more affordable because the tracks don't rip the racers off and pay well, and dirt racing fans are far and away the best fans in all of sports - by far. They're loyal to dirt racing first and foremost.

I just know the testing culture stuff has done a ton of damage to asphalt short track racing. If tracks start seeing how much money they can make in the pits and go that direction, they could run the little guy off quickly.

Didn't know they did a ton of testing and hot laps now. Any dirt race I've ever been to, that's not the case. But if they are doing a ton of testing and practice before races and the sport continues to grow, then dirt racing is just a far superior product.

I don't think anybody knows what "essential" means :laugh: Tattoo shops around here will be open this Friday (essential)

NC governor expects NASCAR race shops can reopen soon [UPDATED]
“From the information that I have now, already under our state executive order they can begin working in their garages as an essential business defined under our executive order,” said Gov. Cooper on Thursday afternoon. “(Teams) are still in contact with local health departments. Local governments may have some different health restrictions.”

Looks like we can rule out racing at Richmond and Martinsville.

If there's no 300, I'll retire.

“I, personally, think Phase One will be a two year affair,” Oliver said. “There are a lot of people working on this, and I hope they prove me wrong, but I don’t see it happening in less than two years.”

This guy is delusional. The people of Virginia will physically remove him

“I, personally, think Phase One will be a two year affair,” Oliver said. “There are a lot of people working on this, and I hope they prove me wrong, but I don’t see it happening in less than two years.”

I have a feeling Southwest and South Central Virginia are gonna Second Amendment this ****.

Two years??? A vaccine will be ready possibly by the end of 2020 if not early 2021.

His first mistake is he isn't the city mayor and second I wonder how long that will last when all the surrounding states open up? That was the Tulsa's mayor excuse of having to go to phase one, all of the surrounding cities opened up. Good political move to dodge any heat..didn't want to but I had too. :biggrin:

I'm just not sure the money will be there after it's over. But dirt is still more affordable because the tracks don't rip the racers off and pay well, and dirt racing fans are far and away the best fans in all of sports - by far. They're loyal to dirt racing first and foremost.

I just know the testing culture stuff has done a ton of damage to asphalt short track racing. If tracks start seeing how much money they can make in the pits and go that direction, they could run the little guy off quickly.

Didn't know they did a ton of testing and hot laps now. Any dirt race I've ever been to, that's not the case. But if they are doing a ton of testing and practice before races and the sport continues to grow, then dirt racing is just a far superior product.

Yeah often I know the one I grew up by had it on Wednesday nights. Especially to try out a new engine or some other change before Friday night

How can they race without pit stops? What am I missing?

How can they race without pit stops? What am I missing?
Could be teams will pit at different times so they can keep their distances. Competition caution, and then certain cars would pit, probably every other pit and then the next group would come in. Then line em up and drop the flag. Probably going to be real awkward in the garages though

Reactions: Pat
Could be teams will pit at different times so they can keep their distances. Competition caution, and then certain cars would pit, probably every other pit and then the next group would come in. Then line em up and drop the flag. Probably going to be real awkward in the garages though
Oh, got it. Thanks. Sounds like fun!

Leaves a lot of questions still, the 2nd race at Charlotte clearly replaces the All Star Race, but what are both races at Darlington replacing?
Still a couple of months away but Sonoma is one that comes to mind which may drop off entirely. There would still have to be another couple somewhere that are getting dropped, unless they’re straying from exactly 36 points-paying races.

Still a couple of months away but Sonoma is one that comes to mind which may drop off entirely. There would still have to be another couple somewhere that are getting dropped, unless they’re straying from exactly 36 points-paying races.
You can't drop Sonoma for Darlington without a lawsuit from SMI I would think.

Is it difficult to move the seat inside the car?

Never mind that it's a horrible idea, moving the seat would just be the beginning. You would also have to move the steering column, the steering gear, reconfigure the steering linkage, move the brake pedal and master cylinder, move the accelerator pedal and redesign the linkage, ditto for the clutch, and build a new dash that would accept the instrument panel on the RH side. Then you have to swap the window net to the RH side and build a window for the left side. Yo would have to move the whole ignition system to the left side, and none of that takes into accounts that the bodies are made to produce downforce in LEFT HAND turns, plus the bias and weight distribution built into the chassis.

Never mind that it's a horrible idea, moving the seat would just be the beginning. You would also have to move the steering column, the steering gear, reconfigure the steering linkage, move the brake pedal and master cylinder, move the accelerator pedal and redesign the linkage, ditto for the clutch, and build a new dash that would accept the instrument panel on the RH side. Then you have to swap the window net to the RH side and build a window for the left side. Yo would have to move the whole ignition system to the left side, and none of that takes into accounts that the bodies are made to produce downforce in LEFT HAND turns, plus the bias and weight distribution built into the chassis.
That sure seems like a lot of work just to move the seat back a couple of inches to get belly clearance due to the drivers sitting at home for a couple of months eating like pigs like I have been doing. I had to push the button to move mine back already.:)

I forgot to mention that the race tracks are not configured for it either. All of the wall openings for emergency vehicles are configured for counterclockwise operation and so are the wall barriers, as well as the safety lights, pit road entrance and exit at many tracks and probably scores of things I haven't even thought of yet.

I expect that the races will all be shortened until they get caught up with the schedule.

Fans been pleading for mid-week races for years, me included. I hope the TV audiences show up. I think they will. This plan of racing 2 X per week is a smart move to fill the void of live sports.

Hope it all works out. It's certainly not risk free. I'd hate to see the PR hit Nascar would take if a lot of COVID cases pop up in the garage area.

Back
Top Bottom