real race cars on track in two weeks

Reasoning- First and foremost, No chance of a practice crash which would require more crewmen. Costs of practice tires goes away. Cars can be race ready at the shop, tested, nut and bolted and ready hit the track immediately.

Hope that helps!

less fraternizing also, but Alenbaba was saying if they didn't start soon, one team he knew of was going to go under. Looks to me with all of the starting races close to home base, money is probably the biggest card in the deck, they like so many others they need a paycheck. I'll bet they do competition cautions to tweak the cars. It should be interesting.

Reasoning- First and foremost, No chance of a practice crash which would require more crewmen. Costs of practice tires goes away. Cars can be race ready at the shop, tested, nut and bolted and ready hit the track immediately.

Hope that helps!
I know all to we'll what it costs to own and run a race car. But I don't see how one set of tires for practice is going to brake anyone.
Also you should agree that it doesn't matter how well the car is checked and double checked at the shop. Until the car is at speed and under load no one is 100 % sure of the car. I know the teams want to race and they need the money. But I can't believe that they are all OK racing without practice.
How many times has something simple been discovered on the first practice lap that can be caught and fixed before wrecking the car. Now that same problem will be under green on the first lap and a day possible ruined.

16 per roster still seems like a lot to me, especially given no practice or qualifying and just rolling through tech and to the grid. I wouldn’t have minded cutting down a few guys if it meant no live pit stops. That’s still several hundreds of people within the garage area, although the guidelines they’ve laid out for hauler parking, driver motor homes, garage occupancy, etc. seem reasonable.

Temperature checks are almost entirely useless but true COVID-19 tests were justifiably a nonstarter. I hope everyone in attendance is mindful of the guidelines and handles themselves appropriately...Pockrass says each team has one or two members more concerned than most others.

Reactions: Pat
Why not add two Next Gen cars to the back of the field and let them run for no points? Make this time useful. The no practice thing is stupid. Even a 30 min practice would be better than none. Just dumb.

images.jpeg

I know all to we'll what it costs to own and run a race car. But I don't see how one set of tires for practice is going to brake anyone.
Also you should agree that it doesn't matter how well the car is checked and double checked at the shop. Until the car is at speed and under load no one is 100 % sure of the car. I know the teams want to race and they need the money. But I can't believe that they are all OK racing without practice.
How many times has something simple been discovered on the first practice lap that can be caught and fixed before wrecking the car. Now that same problem will be under green on the first lap and a day possible ruined.
Nothing is certain even after practice. I've seen driveshafts fall off, oil lines come off, shocks not tightened, etc.... The Sanctioning body has to look at the teams as a whole and a set of tires to some is a big deal and most importantly, not having to drag a backup car out and put a wrecked one back in the hauler is something we all can agree on that will save time and lots of money.

It isn't one set of tires, it is 4 races worth and probably more than one set a race depending on how long the practice would be. Bottom line, it ain't happening for a while and like I said before it is going to be interesting. I'm not worried about the good cup teams one bit, they come prepared and ready to go and if they are a little off the competition caution will catch it.

They are limiting instances of contact and interaction to what is strictly necessary to put on an 'acceptable' race event. Every decision is guided by that. People who have been playing the COVID-19 isn't a big deal / is overblown / is just another virus game aren't on the same page with NASCAR decision makers. They're smarter than that, and they know it is extremely serious and risky. They also know some of the industry's survival is dependent on getting the TV money flowing again.

This is wonderful news!!!!

Also to the people saying "well NASCAR is F'd if people come to the track and they start spreading the virus". That won't happen. It can't happen. A few crew guys may "disappear" for 14 days but you won't hear a soul test positive in the NASCAR world. I know this is major "black helicopter" kinda stuff but the entire industry needs this race stretch to happen to get through financially. If this is a failure and NASCAR gets massive negative PR and can't race again for a number of months...it would be the end of NASCAR as we know it. Whatever would come out the other side would look radically different.

Also to the people saying "well NASCAR is F'd if people come to the track and they start spreading the virus". That won't happen. It can't happen. A few crew guys may "disappear" for 14 days but you won't hear a soul test positive in the NASCAR world. I know this is major "black helicopter" kinda stuff but the entire industry needs this race stretch to happen to get through financially. If this is a failure and NASCAR gets massive negative PR and can't race again for a number of months...it would be the end of NASCAR as we know it. Whatever would come out the other side would look radically different.

good point, like they said, they will have replacements ready and they have plenty of procedures and other hoop jumping in place. Going to be really hard to spread with the way they are going about it. I think they will hand pick the few TV people they allow also.

Nothing is certain even after practice. I've seen driveshafts fall off, oil lines come off, shocks not tightened, etc.... The Sanctioning body has to look at the teams as a whole and a set of tires to some is a big deal and most importantly, not having to drag a backup car out and put a wrecked one back in the hauler is something we all can agree on that will save time and lots of money.
OK. Let me break it down for you. How often has a part fallen off a car in the last 5 seasons? Maybe a shock bolt, rear axle or a weight but not very often. You are saying you would rather it happen during the race with a full field of cars on the track. I disagree. How often does a team pull out a back-up and put it straight on the starting grid with no laps? Say 5 laps for a leak check and to verify it ain't gonna bottom out and shoot into the wall in turn 1. But now we gonna put 36 untested cars on the track and wave the green flag. Stupid idea.

OK. Let me break it down for you. How often has a part fallen off a car in the last 5 seasons? Maybe a shock bolt, rear axle or a weight but not very often. You are saying you would rather it happen during the race with a full field of cars on the track. I disagree. How often does a team pull out a back-up and put it straight on the starting grid with no laps? Say 5 laps for a leak check and to verify it ain't gonna bottom out and shoot into the wall in turn 1. But now we gonna put 36 untested cars on the track and wave the green flag. Stupid idea.
You might get something changed if you volunteered to foot the tire bills. It's only for about 6 races in all of the series. With the tires and wheels, it's about 20 grand a car for a race.

You might get something changed if you volunteered to foot the tire bills. It's only for about 6 races in all of the series. With the tires and wheels, it's about 20 grand a car for a race.
One wreck on the first couple laps could be a million dollars in cars. No practice is stupid. I won't be moved on this point. STUPID!

One wreck on the first couple laps could be a million dollars in cars. No practice is stupid. I won't be moved on this point. STUPID!
you have at least 6 races of it, something might happen. Do you believe Nascar just pulled that idea out of the air without the car owners knowing about it? It's their millions of dollars of cars.

They'll use the competition caution as essentially an in-race practice session, if something's seriously wrong then you'll have to peel off for pit road unless you catch on a warmup lap. It's no different than if all practices and qual had got rained out, they have experience with that one. The number of times they've had full slates of practices and qualifying only to see cars on the hook lap 1-10 packing up to go home, talk about an unfortunate waste on both ends.

If it's ok with the teams then I sure don't have a problem with it. They are the professionals and know what they need to do to put a safe race car on the track and then they will fine tune on pit stops like they always do. They have been in this situation many times when practices are rained out. I'm ready for race day. :director:GO--- 9-24-48-88.

Last edited:

This is such a great point, even if someone from a crew or NASCAR’s traveling circus tests positive, do they even have to disclose anything? I would bet on the guy or gal “just didn’t make it to the track for this race.” I would also think there won’t be enough media around to notice if a crew member is missing

Let me break it down for you, the Industry disagrees with you.

This is such a great point, even if someone from a crew or NASCAR’s traveling circus tests positive, do they even have to disclose anything? I would bet on the guy or gal “just didn’t make it to the track for this race.” I would also think there won’t be enough media around to notice if a crew member is missing
Before anyone tests positive, they have to be tested.

If that happens and someone is infected, NASCAR and it’s teams have a moral and a legal obligation to inform, without naming the individual. If they do not they expose themselves to criminal and civil liability.

If that happens and someone is infected, NASCAR and it’s teams have a moral and a legal obligation to inform, without naming the individual. If they do not they expose themselves to criminal and civil liability.
No way they keep it on the down low. It would be a scandal of epic proportions.

Other than drivers and crew chiefs, nobody has name recognition of the rest of the team. Excluding our few ‘insiders’, I’ll bet we couldn’t collectively name more than a half dozen ourselves.

Less practice makes better racing.
;)
“I think we’re going to see real tangible value in our simulators,” Kurt Busch told NBC Sports, alluding to how simulators will determine car setups in lieu of no practice.
Busch notes just how challenging those early laps at Darlington will be without practice.

“The biggest thing we’re all going to be faced with is the track’s rapidly changing conditions because we used to have the Truck Series or Xfinity Series to help lay down the rubber and create the look of where the groove is, and now (the groove is) going to be as green as it has ever been,” he said, noting Cup will be the first seres to resume.

“The pace is going to be astronomically fast in the beginning and (the groove is) going to be getting glazed over more rapidly during our race. Those are the things that crew chiefs, lead engineers and drivers are going to be challenged with in this unique setting.”

may have already been asked..but does this mean there wont be a charlotte fall race now?

Forgive me for jumping in here without reading entire thread. I haven’t followed the board in a few weeks.

Just saw crawl on CBS sports.

So it’s Darlington on May17 w no fans?

Can’t wait! Hope it actually happens.

Thanks for answering. So if someone tests positive ( if they can get tested through NASCAR or on their own), this whole thing would have to shut down again I would imagine right? It could be a house of cards type situation here.

I don't watch practice or qualifying so I don't care at all that they aren't having them. Nascar is one of the few sports where a large crowd adds absolutely nothing to the TV watching experience anyway so no reason not to run if they can at this point.

Thanks for answering. So if someone tests positive ( if they can get tested through NASCAR or on their own), this whole thing would have to shut down again I would imagine right? It could be a house of cards type situation here.
Uh no.
there is a whole procedure used if they find anyone infected, pretty complicated, outlined in the transcript.

Or they would quarantine the person and test everyone he or she came into contact with (contact tracing) in order to avoid shutting it down.

I don't think this will work without testing. JMO

Back
Top Bottom