Road courses?

blue92

Team Owner
So when does NA$CAR hit the road courses? Why do the drivers talk about wanting to do more road courses but NA$CAR keeps saying they aren't interested in adding any?

Well, Charlotte is almost certainly getting one next fall and Indianapolis is evaluating the idea of switching too.

Realistically, we're probably not going to add true road courses any time soon with the sanctioning agreements and the fact that ISC/SMI/NASCAR only own a small handful of them. And two of them, Road Atlanta and Sebring, aren't shiny enough or up to Cup Series safety standards. Truck and Xfinity may visit places like that (Mosport, Road America, Mid-Ohio) but they're almost certainly out of the question for Cup.

That then leaves you with combined road course/oval configurations at tracks belonging to the aforementioned organizations (plus IMS): Kansas, Charlotte, Daytona, Homestead. A few others, like Las Vegas, might have some kind of road course too but shouldn't be viewed as anything other than some rinkydink track day/club layout. Not that the others that are legitimate possibilities are that interesting.

remove r/c from regular nascar season.
run a nascar r/c season from dec1, ending with 24hr daytona race for championship. week off fer xmas and ny, should get in 8 races.

Are they not adding the Charlotte road course and talking about maybe the Indy road course? Sure, I'd rather see Road America, Sebring, or some other real road course put on the schedule, but they're at least adding some.

You wanna see a show? Bring on the road courses. Run them in the rain.

I've never been big on the road courses personally. I watch them because I watch all of the races, but I enjoy them the least of the tracks that they go to.

Have you been to Sonoma? Watkins Glen?
Whats your point? That people go to the races? They are there for NASCAR not the track. NASCAR is the biggest racing league in America because of oval racing, thats what appeals to the American fan.

I dont mind the occasional road course though and think NASCAR has a good amount and could maybe use 1 more but thats it.

Whats your point? That people go to the races? They are there for NASCAR not the track. NASCAR is the biggest racing league in America because of oval racing, thats what appeals to the American fan.
I've turned a few F1 fans on to NASCAR because I mentioned that NASCAR does indeed run road circuits and not exclusively ovals.

Believe it or not, many racing fans have no interest in NASCAR because they look down on oval track racing as beneath road circuit racing.

Can't we all just get along

Some people are open-minded and some are not.

Some get what racing is about and some do not.

I've turned a few F1 fans on to NASCAR because I mentioned that NASCAR does indeed run road circuits and not exclusively ovals.

Believe it or not, many racing fans have no interest in NASCAR because they look down on oval track racing as beneath road circuit racing.

Can't we all just get along

Are we not getting along? I can disagree with someone and still get along with them.

Not really, this place may like the road courses but this place isn't the only place for NASCAR fans. Road courses just dont appeal to American race fans or casual fans.

Both Sonoma and Watkins Glenn continue to sell out for Nascar. Canadian Tire with the trucks is a big race in Canada. I don't get for one minute any snob appeal that comes from racing on a road course or an oval or a dirt track. It takes skill to win on either.

Some people are open-minded and some are not.

Some get what racing is about and some do not.

I was simply answering the original post question with a legit answer. I watch all kinds of racing from NASCAR to Indy to F1 to IMSA and what ever else comes on TV. Its a fact the oval racing appeals more to American racing fans than road courses therefore NASCAR is reluctant to add more to the schedule.

I was simply answering the original post question with a legit answer. I watch all kinds of racing from NASCAR to Indy to F1 to IMSA and what ever else comes on TV. Its a fact the oval racing appeals more to American racing fans than road courses therefore NASCAR is reluctant to add more to the schedule.
They're adding road courses. Reluctant or otherwise.

I love plate races but wouldn't give you a nickel for a road course..... I'm also not a fan of short track racing.....

Now every one can pile on....... LOL........

:lurk:
It is funny how quickly and how sharply a lot of people changed their tune on road racing. You'd think they'd single-handedly save NASCAR the wave some people jerk about them sometimes.

I love road racing, but you can have less than interesting races on them just like you can on ovals. And there are "boring" road courses just as there are "boring" ovals. They're like a shiny new penny now that they've had some classic finishes and have been adding more in the other two national series. But there are courses where NASCAR would excel and ones where they probably wouldn't, and I firmly believe they need to be selective in which ones they add if they do eventually expand to the range of 4-6 events per year.

No, my answer was smug with a real race track dig but it was a fact.
A declarative statement does not constitute a fact. It's your opinion. You're entitled to it.

When the thread ends, count the yays and the nays.

It is funny how quickly and how sharply a lot of people changed their tune on road racing. You'd think they'd single-handedly save NASCAR the wave some people jerk about them sometimes.

I love road racing, but you can have less than interesting races on them just like you can on ovals. And there are "boring" road courses just as there are "boring" ovals. They're like a shiny new penny now that they've had some classic finishes and have been adding more in the other two national series. But there are courses where NASCAR would excel and ones where they probably wouldn't, and I firmly believe they need to be selective in which ones they add if they do eventually expand to the range of 4-6 events per year.

shiny new penny? they have been around as long as early Nascar has. The road courses they have added in Xfinity and the one race in the trucks aren't in any way over saturating the schedule. Ain't no way another road race or two in cup is going to overbalance anything IMO

Yeah, the IMS road course is a terrible idea, even over the oval IMO. Personally, I think the roval at Charlotte will be alright.

shiny new penny? they have been around as long as early Nascar has. The road courses they have added in Xfinity and the one race in the trucks aren't in any way over saturating the schedule. Ain't no way another road race or two in cup is going to overbalance anything IMO

Road America has been great for Xfinity and Mosport is always a great show for the truck series.

We need to go back to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

A declarative statement does not constitute a fact. It's your opinion. You're entitled to it.

When the thread ends, count the yays and the nays.
As ive said this place isn't the only place NASCAR fans exists. NASCAR isn't looking at this place either, they care about grabing the casual fan.

Back
Top Bottom