Road courses?

For some reason, I recall Gilles as a wreckfest when the X series was there.
I think they ****** up the first two turns a lot. To be expected from the Xfinity guys, I guess. Good circuit though. The promoter for that race actually wanted to bring Cup in or run the Xfinity race at 10 or 11 AM. NASCAR didn't budge on either and that was that.

Some fans enjoy the diversity of the season-long test and paying homage to motorsport history and traditions. That's why F1 needs to race at Monaco, and why Nascar needs to race at Indy on the oval. JMO.
Tradition is a lousy reason to do something, esp. if it's the only reason. NASCAR 'traditionally' didn't go there, and for a lot longer than they have been.

Just because I wouldn't like that doesn't mean it couldn't be a profitable business model.
It wouldn't be. The drivers and teams hate them. There would definitely be a drop in car count, and the fans who don't like them would leave the sport as well. 4 is enough.

Old time fans of stock car racing couldn't care less about running on the artifact.
There you go again, claiming to speak for everyone. Such omniscience is amazing, especially without even taking the trouble to watch the races.

By this line of thinking, we should have a lot more restrictor plate races since they get the best attendance and the best ratings.

hmmm might be why they are trying restrictor plates on the xfinity cars at Indy. You can be sure if it works even a little, the Cup cars will have a similar package to try to wake up the snore fest.

drivers bitching about, or refusing to race at, talladega and Daytona, is no different than a team bitching and refusing to play in the super bowl. Getting rid of the restrictor plate tracks, would be like Indy no longer racing at Indy. The sport would cease to exist. There are only so many times a person can tolerate watching Jimmie Johnson and the Toyota gang drive along with a ten car length lead, and I guarantee that number is less than 36.

as far as road courses, I'll take anything over another mile and a half snoozer. Seriously, race the damn streets of Baltimore, beaches of Daytona, the Baja, anything!, but please, no more mile and halvers. I'd rather they started bull dozing a couple.

... Getting rid of the restrictor plate tracks, would be like Indy no longer racing at Indy. The sport would cease to exist. ...
upload_2017-5-18_14-50-10.png

^ LOL. That looks like a bowling ball. Which reminds me, the Go Bowling 400 at the Kansas 1.5er last weekend was one helluva fine race, did you see it, @joe h ?

Truex won by 1.10 seconds, led the last 19 laps. Someone had to win, I'm sorry it wasn't your favorite. My opinion is that it was a really good race, hard fought at the front and throughout the field, with the outcome in doubt until the very end. A lot of people agreed...

Race poll results R-F.

Race poll results Gluck.

Truex won by 1.10 seconds, led the last 19 laps. Someone had to win, I'm sorry it wasn't your favorite. My opinion is that it was a really good race, hard fought at the front and throughout the field, with the outcome in doubt until the very end. A lot of people agreed...

Race poll results R-F.

Race poll results Gluck.
My point is on a road course, hard to pass short track, pocono, rp track, or a dirt track, maybe a guy like blaney can use the one line track to hold a guy like truex back, instead of everyone running full throttle, and the car that is just a gnats ass better, can win with virtually no pressure from behind. And yeah, you'll have snoozers everywhere, but it is the exact same outcome at these cookie cutters, unless there is a caution and everyone decides to pit with a dozen or so laps to go.

I'm only a fan of the Brickyard on the schedule and it's history of the track if NASCAR and it's executives find a way to put at least 100,000 asses in the seats. It looks embarrassing as empty as is.

The reason why I think road courses are great, is because a little bit of rain takes away the advantage of better equipment. That is about as close as you will get to comparing drivers skills against each other. Don't blame the track if the drivers don't have the skills to keep the cars on the track. NASCAR drivers are supposed to be the best in the world, right? I want those skills to be on display every week. I am not saying those that do well on road courses, are the best, but I like to see as many disciplines as possible be on the schedule. Four dirt tracks would be a big improvement to the schedule, but I don't hear that many people asking for that. I just think the more types of racing a driver competes in, will make them a better driver. As for the drag strip comment, NASCAR has two on the schedule. They are connected by two turns, it's called Martinsville, and it's usually a good race.

Some fans enjoy the diversity of the season-long test and paying homage to motorsport history and traditions. That's why F1 needs to race at Monaco, and why Nascar needs to race at Indy on the oval. JMO.
I am sorry, but I can not even think about considering agreeing with this, so on that logic, NASCAR should also be racing at Monaco, because its traditional track , heck, why not the Baja 1000 thats a traditional race, just because its tradition in other forms of motorsports, does not mean it needs to be for NASCAR or in NASCAR, NASCAR needs to be NASCAR.

Its my sole opinion that IMS has no business being on the schedule .

I am sorry, but I can not even think about considering agreeing with this, so on that logic, NASCAR should also be racing at Monaco, because its traditional track , heck, why not the Baja 1000 thats a traditional race, just because its tradition in other forms of motorsports, does not mean it needs to be for NASCAR or in NASCAR, NASCAR needs to be NASCAR.

Its my sole opinion that IMS has no business being on the schedule .

Actually if NASCAR were to go overseas I'd love to see a race at Spa. Just a bad fast track

Four dirt tracks would be a big improvement to the schedule, but I don't hear that many people asking for that.

I could see them maybe doing Eldora eventually but 4 is just to much in my opinion. Also demand for tickets would be high and alot of people would probably get turned away. I'll say though I'd rather bave a dirt track over as road course any day.

I could see them maybe doing Eldora eventually but 4 is just to much in my opinion. Also demand for tickets would be high and alot of people would probably get turned away. I'll say though I'd rather bave a dirt track over as road course any day.

How about a dirt road course? Just kidding. I don't think I have seen anybody as passionate as you are, about keeping NASCAR as American as possible. It is a uniquely American sport, but there is always room for improvement.

How about a dirt road course? Just kidding. I don't think I have seen anybody as passionate as you are, about keeping NASCAR as American as possible. It is a uniquely American sport, but there is always room for improvement.
Tell ya what, I watched a Global Rallycross race last Sunday that had me on the edge of my seat and it was mostly a dirt road race. (in the mud. :))

No doubt, always room for improvement but how does international races improve anything other than additional cost for teams. Just feel like their are plenty of tracks here in America that should be utilized as opposed to outside the country.

Tell ya what, I watched a Global Rallycross race last Sunday that had me on the edge of my seat and it was mostly a dirt road race. (in the mud. :))

Well, they said the circuit was 30% dirt 70% pavement..
I was at that event saturday and sunday, great racing all weekend, and that final in the rain was amazing! I doubt i'll attend a better race than that this year.
Global Rallycross is one of the best kept secrets in motorsports. Anyone I talk to at other types of motorsport events doesn't know of its existence... GRC should be a lot more popular than it is...

It might have started out 30% mud 70% pavement until they tracked mud and water over all the pavement. haha I love how they have enlarged the wheel houses so they can do some serious beating and banging and continue on. It's real old school stock car racing morphed with new school.

Tradition is a lousy reason to do something, esp. if it's the only reason. NASCAR 'traditionally' didn't go there, and for a lot longer than they have been.

I agree as Nascar has no history at Indy and just because it is a historic track is not justification to hold a cup race there. Local interest in the race is non existent as more people show up to a Colts exhibition game.

There you go again, claiming to speak for everyone. Such omniscience is amazing, especially without even taking the trouble to watch the races.
Well I'll second that us old time fans really don't care about Indy. We'd rather have some tracks like Darlington, Martinsville, and North Wilkesboro on the schedule.

Well I'll second that us old time fans really don't care about Indy. We'd rather have some tracks like Darlington, Martinsville, and North Wilkesboro on the schedule.

I agree.

I remember when Jimmie Johnson won the Brickyard one year and NBC kept pushing the fact that Jimmie idolized Rick Mears. NASCAR wants to claim the history of the Indy 500 for the Brickyard 400 and it doesn't work.

Eldora (or another dirt track) will almost assuredly be on the Cup schedule within 5 years. The demand for a dirt track in Cup is way too high for NASCAR to not pull the trigger on it, especially considering they are desperate to attract & retain fans. 4 dirst tracks per year would be ideal IMO, along with 4 road courses.

I watched something a ways back it was like a mile maybe 3/4. At any rate, a really big dirt track and they were racing ARCA like cars on it. It was alright. Track really dusted up and went to one groove for most of it. They had a little bumping and banging on the restarts and because some couldn't see because of the dust during the race. I mean it was ok? but IMO global rallycross on a much smaller scale seems to be a better mouse trap. IMO take an Eldora like course, make an infield dirt road course like a dirt roval add a ramp or two and add water and you get something like this

Eldora (or another dirt track) will almost assuredly be on the Cup schedule within 5 years. The demand for a dirt track in Cup is way too high for NASCAR to not pull the trigger on it, especially considering they are desperate to attract & retain fans. 4 dirst tracks per year would be ideal IMO, along with 4 road courses.

I think racing on dirt would be a big hit with the drivers and fans but I am skeptical if it would draw in any newbies as they probably have no clue as to the surfaces Nascar currently races on and don't care.

Charlotte Road course confirmed for 2018 fall race. Also will be the cutoff race of round 1.

Charlotte Road course confirmed for 2018 fall race. Also will be the cutoff race of round 1.
You would think would test this out in the regular season first before making it a Chase race. I see this being a crash fest.

I'm on the record as believing the Charlotte road course is a snoozy track but after watching last weekend it's hard to imagine it could be any more boring than the oval (unless the VHT and tire machine change things a whole lot).

hmmm might be why they are trying restrictor plates on the xfinity cars at Indy. You can be sure if it works even a little, the Cup cars will have a similar package to try to wake up the snore fest.
I'm referencing the more typical pack racing that we see at Talladega and Daytona. I believe they were interested in trying plates at Michigan to generate that sort of product at one point recently and even after the Kentucky aero experiment a couple of years ago Brian France said they still wanted "more pack racing". Restrictor plates at IMS won't work that way but might make the racing closer.

Back
Top Bottom