Road courses?

As ive said this place isn't the only place NASCAR fans exists. NASCAR isn't looking at this place either, they care about grabing the casual fan.
You've said a lot of things.

I would guess that this place is a representative microcosm of NASCAR fandom.

I don't care if they add one are not we always enjoy the two we have already.

shiny new penny? they have been around as long as early Nascar has. The road courses they have added in Xfinity and the one race in the trucks aren't in any way over saturating the schedule. Ain't no way another road race or two in cup is going to overbalance anything IMO
Xfinity didn't have them for a long time. I think they started adding them in '05 or so. Trucks had Portland for a bit and I think that was it until Mosport was added. Then you start adding Montreal, Road America, Mid-Ohio and combine that with the recent finishes at The Glen and Sonoma and there you go. And I never said a race or two would create an imbalance.

As ive said this place isn't the only place NASCAR fans exists. NASCAR isn't looking at this place either, they care about grabing the casual fan.
Considering NASCAR is often derided as a bunch of goobers driving in circles, don't you think more people would at least check it out if they added a small handful of road courses?

It was painful to watch the indycars on that track, I can only imagine how bad it would be for cup cars
Small sample size but I thought yesterday's race was the best IndyCar race there by a good margin, even with Always Bad Coverage on the broadcast. If the oval race continues to push fans away they'll almost have to try it out.

Considering NASCAR is often derided as a bunch of goobers driving in circles, don't you think more people would at least check it out if they added a small handful of road courses?

No doubt and I've even said I think one more road course would be ideal. You dont want to get away from the bread and butter that is oval racing for NASCAR though. High speeds and big crashes are still NASCAR's biggest sale to a casual fan.

Small sample size but I thought yesterday's race was the best IndyCar race there by a good margin, even with Always Bad Coverage on the broadcast. If the oval race continues to push fans away they'll almost have to try it out.

doubtful after all the social media outcry when they trolled it in front of us lately. But I guess one can hope. It's a joke of a road course. Most of us wouldn't give a hoot in hell if they moved the race completely out of there

It is funny how quickly and how sharply a lot of people changed their tune on road racing. You'd think they'd single-handedly save NASCAR the wave some people jerk about them sometimes.

I love road racing, but you can have less than interesting races on them just like you can on ovals. And there are "boring" road courses just as there are "boring" ovals. They're like a shiny new penny now that they've had some classic finishes and have been adding more in the other two national series. But there are courses where NASCAR would excel and ones where they probably wouldn't, and I firmly believe they need to be selective in which ones they add if they do eventually expand to the range of 4-6 events per year.
I can't wait for the first dud of a road race when they go to Charlotte or Indy, I wonder how many will jump off the road course bandwagon. IMO, this sport needs maybe 2-3 more short track races and 1-2 REAL road courses not a Roval. (Road America says hello)

I look at the Charlotte Roval as a way for a big corp to still have three events at the same track. Looking at the circuit, it is almost the same length as the Indy course, has better sight lines, is a better course design, hands down a better deal..and it gets rid of one 1.5 race.

can't wait? there are plenty of fans that don't like road courses..
I think there should be a movement to add more short tracks instead of road races, I'm not opposed to road races really if it's the right track but I have zero confidence Charlotte or Indy will live up to fans expectations. I feel if it was going to be a good show, NASCAR would have been at Charlotte Roval already. And if F1 couldn't stay at Indy (I thought many of the drivers/teams said the course was easy and boring) I doubt the NASCAR race will be a success. As I've posted before I'd be more excited if Road America, Montreal, COTA or Sebring were going to be added. Hell I'd be excited if Portland was rumored it'd fill two needs: a new road race and a race in the Pacific Northwest.

I look at the Charlotte Roval as a way for a big corp to still have three events at the same track. Looking at the circuit, it is almost the same length as the Indy course, has better sight lines, is a better course design, hands down a better deal..and it gets rid of one 1.5 race.
I think Charlotte will work out because it has three weekends so you could really use some variety there. I don't like the infield portion itself, but the sight lines will be good. I think most of the action there is still going to happen on the oval portion.

I think there should be a movement to add more short tracks instead of road races, I'm not opposed to road races really if it's the right track but I have zero confidence Charlotte or Indy will live up to fans expectations. I feel if it was going to be a good show, NASCAR would have been at Charlotte Roval already. And if F1 couldn't stay at Indy (I thought many of the drivers/teams said the course was easy and boring) I doubt the NASCAR race will be a success. As I've posted before I'd be more excited if Road America, Montreal, COTA or Sebring were going to be added. Hell I'd be excited if Portland was rumored it'd fill two needs: a new road race and a race in the Pacific Northwest.
Like 2008 largely killed NASCAR there, 2005 really killed F1 there. I actually hope the WEC will move their U.S. date there after the COTA experiment ends this year.

I think Charlotte will work out because it has three weekends so you could really use some variety there. I don't like the infield portion itself, but the sight lines will be good. I think most of the action there is still going to happen on the oval portion.
I don't. I think action is going to happen in the sweepers, a little nudge here and there like they do on the other road courses. Look at IMSA Daytona, plenty of passing and or setting up a pass in the chicane

I don't. I think action is going to happen in the sweepers, a little nudge here and there like they do on the other road courses. Look at IMSA Daytona, plenty of passing and or setting up a pass in the chicane
Kansas is a lot more like Daytona. Straights, hairpins, heavy braking. Every time I see the Allmendinger test video I can't help but think how awkward it looks.

Doesn't look akward to me, and I think the chances I'll be watching them at Charlotte on the roval is looking pretty good compared to the other.

Xfinity didn't have them for a long time. I think they started adding them in '05 or so. Trucks had Portland for a bit and I think that was it until Mosport was added. Then you start adding Montreal, Road America, Mid-Ohio and combine that with the recent finishes at The Glen and Sonoma and there you go. And I never said a race or two would create an imbalance.
You are forgetting Heartland Park Topeka , Trucks raced there in 1996-1999

Nascar's #1 strategic mission should be adding races in Montreal and Mexico City. Not doing that is business malpractice of felony proportions IMO.
It was painful to watch the indycars on that track, I can only imagine how bad it would be for cup cars
I agree. I believe Nascar on the Indy road course would be a total snooze, and a major business mistake. Nascar should keep racing on the Indy oval, which is high in degree of difficulty and really separates the contenders from the pretenders. Recently, @FLRacingFan offered good rationale for the strategic importance of IMS and the Indianapolis market. Abandoning that race would not be wise IMO.

We need to go back to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.[/QUOTE]
Nascar races in two countries now, (USA and Canada ) why do you want a third or forth?

Nascar has raced road courses since the beginning. The first road course that I attended was at Daytona Beach in I believe 1953 or 54.

600-WD-962.jpg

You've said a lot of things.

I would guess that this place is a representative microcosm of NASCAR fandom.

I've found that it's skewed quite completely and surprisingly in a great deal of several aspects, in a manner of speaking.

It was a great event while it was there and honestly, why not?

The place wasn’t suited to NASCAR vehicles. It was a difficult ‘n dangerous trip. And, the most important factor – the crowd was disappearing.

When I first started watching NASCAR (decades ago) I didn't like the road courses. There only a few drivers that knew how to run a road course (ringers were common). The races weren't competitive, they were more like survival (staying on the track). I didn't think they should have them on the schedule. Now I like them. A good driver can make a bigger difference than om a road course than on an oval.

The road courses were never my favorite but after the infusion of boring tracks and dull cars I have an appreciation for them and look forward to them. I like Sears Point better than the Glen.

I think it's painful to watch Indy cars on any road course. I can watch nascar on a road course, but not an Indy car. I have tried but I can't get into Formula One either.

Doesn't look akward to me, and I think the chances I'll be watching them at Charlotte on the roval is looking pretty good compared to the other.
It looks slow and very momentum-heavy, the last half of it especially, with not many great passing opportunities. Sonoma is kinda the same way but 4a, 7a, and the hairpin make it easier to pass. We'll see how it goes, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a great race there.

I think road courses would be a lot more exiting if they sprinkled a light coat of sand on the turns.:)

Back
Top Bottom