Roval Bonehead

It's bonehead, not boneheads, and the fact 1/3 of the field plowed into that tire barrier makes it hard to make that the bone head. The creativity in trying not to say Jimmie Johnson when we all know it's him is hilarious. Was locked into the chase, didn't have a realistic shot to win, took himself and the leader out, then failed to make it on a tie breaker. It's him

The creativity in trying not to say Jimmie Johnson when we all know it's him is hilarious. Was locked into the chase, didn't have a realistic shot to win, took himself and the leader out, then failed to make it on a tie breaker. It's him
You (and some others) obviously don't "get it," but Jimmie does get it, thankfully. I stand by my post about this... major respect to Jimmie Johnson, a Racer and a Champion.

Then he would be points racing, something still bitched about.

I like he tried to win....isn't that what we want them to do? Try?
Yes but we also want our driver to win the championship sooooooooooo
I guess either move was his choice. Maybe he thinks he won't get another run at a championship so add wins to his record.

You (and some others) obviously don't "get it," but Jimmie does get it, thankfully. I stand by my post about this... major respect to Jimmie Johnson, a Racer and a Champion.

I don’t think you “get it”. So because he made a clever tweet that negates what happened yesterday. Interesting

At the point of the crash, Jimmie had zero chance of beating Truex to the flag anyway unless Martin screwed up. He would have been FAR better served to just tuck in behind him and try to pressure him into an unforced error.

^^^THIS^^^

I watched about 90% of the cup race and about half of the Xfinity race and I don't recall seeing any passes being made for position at the point on the track where Johnson was attempting to make a last ditch pass to win the race.

Why Johnson even thought he could make it happen is beyond me.

I find it interesting that people are dumping on Jimmie. First he doesn't owe a single fan an explanation as to why he did what he did. When I watched him do it I thought it was a very Un-Jimmie like moment. He is usually a very big picture thinking guy. However, I love that he did it and he actually talked about his rationale on pit road. He stated he thought he could out break the 78 and get to his door and if he could do that he could be on the inside coming out of the turn and could make the pass for the lead. It isn't far fetched to think he could pull it off. I am not in any way a JJ fan, but I have a ton of respect for him hanging it out there. I don't give a damn if he took someone out. Do we even know if he touched the 78 until after the 48 was spinning? It looked like Truex blew his wad worrying about the 48 because he completely missed the turn trying to protect, at least that is what I though I saw. Good for JJ going for the win, yeah it sucks he is out for his team, but I will bet you to a man in that garage they all would have wanted him to do it and they all had supreme confidence in his ability to pull it off. It made for a great moment and a great finish.

I've watched the replay numerous times. Johnson didn't touch him until after he spun. Truex was going to have to make a 90 degree turn onto the straight if he could have made it without hitting the wall. He drove/overdrove hard into the chicane also. Good hard racing. Truex is going to the right team after his classless comments and please take his goofy spotter with him joining wasted space and the 10,000 races driver. no need to be such a jackass on national TV. IMO. But they're family. :D

I find it interesting that people are dumping on Jimmie. First he doesn't owe a single fan an explanation as to why he did what he did. When I watched him do it I thought it was a very Un-Jimmie like moment. He is usually a very big picture thinking guy. However, I love that he did it and he actually talked about his rationale on pit road. He stated he thought he could out break the 78 and get to his door and if he could do that he could be on the inside coming out of the turn and could make the pass for the lead. It isn't far fetched to think he could pull it off. I am not in any way a JJ fan, but I have a ton of respect for him hanging it out there. I don't give a damn if he took someone out. Do we even know if he touched the 78 until after the 48 was spinning? It looked like Truex blew his wad worrying about the 48 because he completely missed the turn trying to protect, at least that is what I though I saw. Good for JJ going for the win, yeah it sucks he is out for his team, but I will bet you to a man in that garage they all would have wanted him to do it and they all had supreme confidence in his ability to pull it off. It made for a great moment and a great finish.

There isn't a person on this forum that will defend Jimmie Johnson any more than I will, but that doesn't change the fact that in this instance, I think he did the wrong thing. I admire the attitude he has about it, and I admire the the ferocity with which he was driving, but when he couldn't make the pass off NASCAR 4, I think he should have just tucked in behind Truex and tried to get him to overdrive the chicane instead of trying to dive bomb him. Even if Jimmie doesn't spin, I'm not sure was going to get through chicane cleanly, and might have ended up getting a penalty anyway. The points margin was just too close to take a risk of not making it back to the finish line. I'm sorry, but I value championships a hell of a lot more than any single race, and while it's unlikely he was going to win number eight this year, I DO think going deep into the playoffs would have been a huge boost of confidence for the 48 bunch going into 2019. Now, it's just ANOTHER race where they found a way to underachieve.

and while it's unlikely he was going to win number eight this year,

ya think? Wouldn't have made a dam if he made the round, They haven't had the speed all year. As it was, he went down swinging reminding us of the Jimmie of old instead of whimpering like the other three did. BTW I can only imagine what some would say if Almirola who busted ass to make it in by one point on the last lap would have made a mistake getting in to the next round by some.

ya think? Wouldn't have made a dam if he made the round, They haven't had the speed all year. As it was, he went down swinging reminding us of the Jimmie of old instead of whimpering like the other three did. BTW I can only imagine what some would say if Almirola who busted ass to make it in by one point on the last lap would have made a mistake getting in to the next round by some.

As I said before, these playoffs are about surviving to fight another day. Style points don't count for much. You can still make it to round three by stringing some top 10's together, and then you just have to win one to get your ticket punched to Homestead. We saw Gordon and Johnson both do that very thing in 2015 and 2016. Yes, the odds didn't favor the 48, but I'll take THOSE odds over the odds of Jimmie pulling off that pass any time you want.

I suppose if Jimmie was already resigned to not winning #8 this year than it's hard to call him a bonehead for gunning for #84. Just a matter of his preference, but it was certainly a very ambitious move. I think once he got that really good run through the backstretch chicane he had committed in his mind to going for the win.

As always, I nominate the entire NBC booth and special for this week Brad Keselowski for wiping out Truex once, killing the curbs while in the lead later on, and then forgetting there was a wall before oval Turn 1. Denny Hamlin had his fair share of bonehead moves as well and almost wiped out That Jones Boy once or twice.

Edit: Yeah, Stenhouse too. He had himself a day as usual.

It looked to me like Jimmie came across Truex's rear bumper and upset his car, and then Jimmie wound up sitting in the middle of the chicane. Truex was caught between a rock and a hard place because it's possible NASCAR would've issued him a time penalty had he cut the chicane to avoid the wreck and not stopped on the apron.

^^^just hambone finishing the highest of the Gibbs bunch, got to keep that Jones boy down. :D

I think Johnson knew he didn't have a championship car this season and that probably influenced his risky decision for a shot at a race win.

Story I heard from Marcus, is that he called Steve O'Donnell and he said something like this to Steve, or you ready for this? And then he said they talked about his idea and three years later after many meetings with the various interested parties it came about.
Podcast: Marcus Smith on the moment the Roval idea was born
Marcus Smith was brainstorming in his seventh-floor corner office at Charlotte Motor Speedway nearly two years ago, contemplating the future for the track’s second annual Cup race.

Held a few months after the All-Star Race and Coca-Cola 600, the Bank of America 500 was lacking some luster.

“I thought, ‘You know this race needs something special,’ ” the Speedway Motorsports Inc. CEO and president said on the most recent episode of the NASCAR on NBC Podcast. “It was really overshadowed by the other two races.”

From his overhead view, Smith’s gaze fell on the road course running through the infield of the 1.5-mile track, and inspiration struck.

“Hey, I got an idea … this is ridiculous,” Smith said. “Why don’t we revive the old road course and race NASCAR on the Roval? We need a road course in the playoffs, and I thought this would kill two birds with one stone. Take out an intermediate 1.5-mile track and add in a road course, so mission accomplished. That’s how it happened.”

“I called Steve and said, ‘Are you sitting down?’” Smith said. “He said, ‘Man, that’s a crazy idea, but I kind of like it.’ Just kept pushing from there.”

The original plan was to bring NASCAR to the road course last year, but “there was a lot of resistance” from drivers, owners and manufacturers.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/09/25/podcast-marcus-smith-on-the-moment-the-roval-idea-was-born/

As I said before, these playoffs are about surviving to fight another day. Style points don't count for much. You can still make it to round three by stringing some top 10's together, and then you just have to win one to get your ticket punched to Homestead. We saw Gordon and Johnson both do that very thing in 2015 and 2016. Yes, the odds didn't favor the 48, but I'll take THOSE odds over the odds of Jimmie pulling off that pass any time you want.
You're in the middle of NASCAR 3 and 4, you get the 78 up off the bottom and get inside heading to the chicane and you havent won a race all year, so what are you thinking at that exact moment? I'll tell you what he thought - " I'm better then he is" Thats what a winner does.

Brad Keselowski and his Turn 1 motley crew.

P.S. Yes, Jimmie got into Truex. No, it wasn't intentional. Can't see those two holding hard feelings towards each other beyond Sunday. So seeing Jimmie being nominated for the Bonehead Award for being a racer and going for his first win of the year and advancement into the next round is frustrating.

Brad Keselowski and his Turn 1 motley crew.

P.S. Yes, Jimmie got into Truex. No, it wasn't intentional. Can't see those two holding hard feelings towards each other beyond Sunday. So seeing Jimmie being nominated for the Bonehead Award for being a racer and going for his first win of the year and advancement into the next round is frustrating.

Big picture is, finish second, go to the next round, then go on and win the Big Prize at Homestead. I think this is where the Bone Head award comes to light.

Big picture is, finish second, go to the next round, then go on and win the Big Prize at Homestead. I think this is where the Bone Head award comes to light.
like somehow the 48 who has won absolutely no playoff points all year and hasn't won a race in like 53 starts that that would be a good decision to not go for the win and he thinks like a race car driver and not a fan or an announcer in the booth who never won a title. eh whatever.

Then NASCAR didn't have to run it.
Yeah well they kinda do, CMS is a huge part of NASCAR and they dont wanna go through another anti trust lawsuit by refusing to race, especially since this track is under contract.

like somehow the 48 who has won absolutely no playoff points all year and hasn't won a race in like 53 starts that that would be a good decision to not go for the win and he thinks like a race car driver and not a fan or an announcer in the booth who never won a title. eh whatever.

We are going to have to agree to disagree, what JJ did the last lap cost him his chance at the Cup, JMHO, call it what you will.

You're in the middle of NASCAR 3 and 4, you get the 78 up off the bottom and get inside heading to the chicane and you havent won a race all year, so what are you thinking at that exact moment? I'll tell you what he thought - " I'm better then he is" Thats what a winner does.

Well, how'd that work out for him? No win and no playoffs. Drivers make decisions dozens of times every race based on risk VS reward. The move Jimmie attempted was too much risk, too little reward. The odds of passing Truex in that spot AND making the chicane without penalty were about a million to one. It just wasn't going to happen. I would have tucked in behind and tried to give the bump and run coming OUT of the chicane. At this point in Johnson's career, nobody really gives a damn whether he has 80 wins, 85 wins or 90 wins, but they WOULD care if he had 8 championships instead of 7, and you don't win championships by crashing yourself out within sight of the finish line in Round 1 of the playoffs when you're solidly in. One of the reasons I am such a big Jimmie Johnson fan is that 99% of the time he doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement on the racetrack. This time he let the moment get the best of him and lost sight of the big picture. Going out of the first round of the playoffs because of questionable decision isn't exactly a great selling point for the new sponsors the 48 team is trying to attract right now either.....

Well, how'd that work out for him? No win and no playoffs. Drivers make decisions dozens of times every race based on risk VS reward. The move Jimmie attempted was too much risk, too little reward. The odds of passing Truex in that spot AND making the chicane without penalty were about a million to one. It just wasn't going to happen. I would have tucked in behind and tried to give the bump and run coming OUT of the chicane. At this point in Johnson's career, nobody really gives a damn whether he has 80 wins, 85 wins or 90 wins, but they WOULD care if he had 8 championships instead of 7, and you don't win championships by crashing yourself out within sight of the finish line in Round 1 of the playoffs when you're solidly in. One of the reasons I am such a big Jimmie Johnson fan is that 99% of the time he doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement on the racetrack. This time he let the moment get the best of him and lost sight of the big picture. Going out of the first round of the playoffs because of questionable decision isn't exactly a great selling point for the new sponsors the 48 team is trying to attract right now either.....

Johnson after thinking about it the next morning said I should have adjusted more front brakes into the bias. Some of ya will never get it. :D:p

He was going to need a hell of a lot more than some brake bias to go through that chicane side by side with Truex. Just like coming onto pit road, it's easy to forget what happens when you don't have any banking to lean on. Jimmie couldn't even get the car through the first left hand kink. The right hand kink would have been game over.

"tucked in" After gaining inside control? Suppose you tell me how to do that? Hit the brake? Yeah, he did that. This wasnt a a decision made after an hour or 2 days later on a message board, it was then and THERE! The rest of your post is pure speculation, where did you get the odds of a "million to one" from the first Roval race ever at this track? Do you think Earl radioed down and said" Jimmie dont do it"!? Hell no! He was on board at that moment like Chad and everyone else on that team was, WIN! End of story.

"tucked in" After gaining inside control? Suppose you tell me how to do that? Hit the brake? Yeah, he did that. This wasnt a a decision made after an hour or 2 days later on a message board, it was then and THERE! The rest of your post is pure speculation, where did you get the odds of a "million to one" from the first Roval race ever at this track? Do you think Earl radioed down and said" Jimmie dont do it"!? Hell no! He was on board at that moment like Chad and everyone else on that team was, WIN! End of story.

It wasn't two days later, I was sitting on my couch live yelling the SAME thing Earl SHOULD have been saying as it happened. Go back and watch the move frame by frame. To me, the point of no return moment is just as the two cars are even with the barrels at pit in. Yes, Jimmie has a run, but he is SO FAR out of position, he has little hope of making a clean run through the chicane by himself at top speed, let alone running wheel to wheel with a car fast enough to be leading the race, especially coming off the banking onto the flat. That was the moment where Jimmie had a choice to make, and he chose to jump off the cliff, instead of moving back onto Truex's bumper. I base that on watching road course racing for the last 35 or so years, including hundreds of IMSA, GA, ALMS, SCCA and other races. I've watched way more than my share of dive bomb moves into the bus stop at Daytona to know that it seldom works out very well under more favorable conditions than the Charlotte chicane offers, and as a multi-time participant in the Rolex 24, Jimmie should have known it too. If Jimmie and Chad and the rest of the 48 team feel good about what transpired, then great for them, I'm glad they won't have any trouble sleeping at night. When you're a 7 time champion, you sort of get a free pass from scrutiny for the most part, but I'm guessing if the truth could ever be known, there are plenty of people at Hendrick Motorsports that were quietly pounding their head against the wall Monday morning, especially those trying trying to put together his 2019 sponsorship package.

It wasn't two days later, I was sitting on my couch live yelling the SAME thing Earl SHOULD have been saying as it happened. Go back and watch the move frame by frame. To me, the point of no return moment is just as the two cars are even with the barrels at pit in. Yes, Jimmie has a run, but he is SO FAR out of position, he has little hope of making a clean run through the chicane by himself at top speed, let alone running wheel to wheel with a car fast enough to be leading the race, especially coming off the banking onto the flat. That was the moment where Jimmie had a choice to make, and he chose to jump off the cliff, instead of moving back onto Truex's bumper. I base that on watching road course racing for the last 35 or so years, including hundreds of IMSA, GA, ALMS, SCCA and other races. I've watched way more than my share of dive bomb moves into the bus stop at Daytona to know that it seldom works out very well under more favorable conditions than the Charlotte chicane offers, and as a multi-time participant in the Rolex 24, Jimmie should have known it too. If Jimmie and Chad and the rest of the 48 team feel good about what transpired, then great for them, I'm glad they won't have any trouble sleeping at night. When you're a 7 time champion, you sort of get a free pass from scrutiny for the most part, but I'm guessing if the truth could ever be known, there are plenty of people at Hendrick Motorsports that were quietly pounding their head against the wall Monday morning, especially those trying trying to put together his 2019 sponsorship package.
Im not impressed with monday morning quaterbacking. What were you yelling at the TV for? Did you have a premanition that JJ would spin out and loose enough positions to keep him from the next round? If you were on the radio and told JJ to back off that would have been your last day on the roof.

Im not impressed with monday morning quaterbacking. What were you yelling at the TV for? Did you have a premanition that JJ would spin out and loose enough positions to keep him from the next round? If you were on the radio and told JJ to back off that would have been your last day on the roof.

I wouldn't say I had a premonition, but I had firm grasp on the situation, what could happen and what was at stake. My heart stopped the second I saw him try to dive under the 78 coming off the banking. You HAD to know that wasn't going to work. Before I could even let out a breath, Jimmie was up in smoke. Had I been on the spotter's stand, I would have told Jimmie to be smart and remember the big picture. Moreover, Chad should have been telling him the same thing and reminding him how small of margin he was working with before they even took the last restart. Once they went green, it was pretty easy to see how amped up Jimmie was, which is EXACTLY the time to again remind your driver to keep focus. I would gladly defend that to Jimmie or any other driver. Also, the biggest reason why I think that it was a bad place to try to make a move is what ultimately bit Jimmie. If you blow the chicane, you get penalized, which is not only going to take away a win, but probably knock him out of the playoffs. Jimmie self-serving that penalty is what cost him, as he would have been about third or fourth if he could have just kept going. I actually question the rules here. If you crash in the chicane and lose race positions, should you STILL have to serve a penalty? Seems to me that would be penalty enough. I will continue to maintain that there simply wasn't ANY way he was going to get past Truex at that point without blowing the chicane. Truex held the preferred line, and Jimmie was going to have have to drive around him using the parts of the track nobody wanted in the first place, and likely covered in marbles. That's NOT a recipe for success.

Back
Top Bottom