Roval Bonehead

Good interview.
Yeah. I don't think its right the way people on social media, including here at R-F, fry Truex for having and showing emotion when a race goes suddenly bad like that. It has happened numerous times... he makes a comment on his in-car radio or gets a mic in his face moments after climbing out... IMO we need to cut these guys some slack.

We criticize 'em for being too vanilla, and we criticize 'em if they are not.

Not the same. In your scenario, Kulwicki would have tossed a Championship away, in this scenario JJ threw away an opportunity to advance. There are a ton of variables in JJ's situation that still have to occur as well. You have a guy who knows that his team has struggled to be a contender and is staring a shot at a win in the face. The I don't believe that the 48 team believes they were a real threat, however I also do not believe that they stopped believing in the "chance." That being said I am almost positive that JJ didn't think about how far back the 42 was or where exactly he was in the points he decided to make his move. I am also just as positive that they went over the situation and the scenario of where they were and how barring the 48 not finishing the race they would practically be in.

With all of this information I don't believe anyone would just settle in knowing that a set of circumstances like what occurred would have to occur in order for the end result be what it was. It is actually a very low probability that all of what happened would have actually happened. So the risk was not a huge risk. However, it has detrimental results if the worst were to happen. It's like bungee jumping for lack of a better analogy. You know that there is an inherent risk and danger to it, but you also know that people do it every day and nothing happens. So when you want to do something or you are chasing that rush like a bungee jumper would be (I assume) you take that into account. Sometimes the bungee snaps.

I know the analogy is terrible, but it just shows that the overall risk was not as significant as it seems after the fact. It's easy for us to sit and Monday morning quarterback the move when we have zero skin in the game and we have zero people relying on our thought process in the situation. All I know is that I have competed in sports my whole life and now I coach. My competitive drive has never allowed me to pull up or settle. As a coach I will take a team full of people willing to risk everything for one moment of glory. Those moments are not guaranteed and you never know when they will be back, so go for it.

Just two counterpoints; One, the Kulwicki analogy was more geared to see how much Spotter 22 was willing to put on the line just to win a race, BUT, it's still true that in order to have a chance to win to a championship you have take care of business, which the 48 clearly didn't. Two, as I tried to explain before, yes, it's REALLY hard to dream up a scenario as weird as what happened at the end of the race where Jimmie finishes 8th and loses on a tiebreaker, but it is VERY EASY to imagine a scenario where he crashes and never finishes the lap at all, or gets a huge penalty for blowing the chicane. If either of those things happen, he misses the cutoff by a LOT, not by one position. If Jimmie had a 25 point cushion or there were only say 6 cars on the lead lap, I'd be much more inclined to say go for it, but when he took the restart, his margin was VERY small, and it actually got smaller over the last couple of laps. There were TWENTY-SIX cars on the lead lap for God sakes! There were just way too many BAD things that could happen and far too few GOOD things that could happen in this scenario. You CANNOT let the situation outsmart you. As I said, there is about 33 weeks out of the season I wouldn't have too much of a problem with Jimmie's go for broke style, but this is one of those few times where discretion is the better part of valor. I would even be less upset if he had had a clear shot of making a pass and just got wrecked, but the move he made was just an AWFUL decision. Not only was he out of control, he was out of position to make the corner even if he didn't lock up the brakes. It just was NOT going to work.

IMO he was going for the win. I believe every driver that's out there would do the same. At the same time In his eagerness to get that win, he overestimated how much of a chance there was to pull off that move successfully.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Resend w both photos I sent earlier <a href="https://twitter.com/JimmieJohnson?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@JimmieJohnson</a> prank! <a href="https://twitter.com/colepearn?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@colepearn</a> said he could make good by buying mt bikes for team. Jimmie himself set up and delivered this - Cole Pearn replied with this sign ahahaha <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNASCAR?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@SiriusXMNASCAR</a> Pre Race 11 a.m. ET So funny! Garage is enjoying it! <a href="https://t.co/vKfUibmSqQ">pic.twitter.com/vKfUibmSqQ</a></p>&mdash; Claire B Lang (@ClaireBLang) <a href="">October 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back
Top Bottom