Should Nascar give Kyle Larson a waiver?

Yeah, I mean what’s taking so long to announce it? Or are they just gonna ignore it and hope that people don’t question anything once Kyle is in the playoffs once they start? I mean, they had to of had a decision made prior. Unless they were legit thrown for a curve when he chose to stay in Indy despite the rain delay.
Maybe they just wont announce or address it at all, meaning he won’t have been given one since it wasn’t announced.
Technically they only have to take any action at all if one is granted.

Maybe they just wont announce or address it at all, meaning he won’t have been given one since it wasn’t announced.
Technically they only have to take any action at all if one is granted.
If NASCAR doesn't do it, and they had told The Felon ahead of time, and he did what he did anyway......The narrative is that the one 500 > A whole season of NASCAR. Does that help the sport?

Not sure what the hesitancy in announcing a decision is for, but the longer this drags out and the more politicking that takes place makes me think this isn’t as much a surefire decision at the top as I’d hoped.

It should be a no brainer. Really for two reasons…

- If a NASCAR driver ever were to win an IndyCar or F1 race that would be a huge statement for the sport itself

- NASCAR has by far the longest schedule at 36 events a year. Including the exhibitions there is almost no time to race other vehicles

Larson cannot be taken out of the Championship. Larson should not have skipped the 600. If a waiver was not going to be granted, and The Felon was told this prior to the event, I have deep concerns for the health of the sport. Leadership at odds with the sport's winningest and most powerful team is not a good look. Going into the next race weekend with this uncertainty is a head scratcher.

Larson cannot be taken out of the Championship. Larson should not have skipped the 600. If a waiver was not going to be granted, and The Felon was told this prior to the event, I have deep concerns for the health of the sport. Leadership at odds with the sport's winningest and most powerful team is not a good look. Going into the next race weekend with this uncertainty is a head scratcher.

Ol' Revvy give it up, give it a rest. Go get you a tall glass of rice wine.

Dead Horse.gif

Not sure what the hesitancy in announcing a decision is for, but the longer this drags out and the more politicking that takes place makes me think this isn’t as much a surefire decision at the top as I’d hoped.

It never was a surefire thing.

I know it’s probably automated and it’s because it’s not been giving the wavier yet. But currently the playoff standings on the official website doesn’t have him for what it’s worth.

It shows him now.

Ol' Revvy give it up, give it a rest. Go get you a tall glass of rice wine.

I love how he basically said what I did. Also lets not forget the IndyCar series owner also owns the flagship Ford team that have won the last 2 championships. That also has significant weight in how both leagues can benefit each other by crossovers.

Maybe NASCAR will suspend Larson. That will make the granting of a waiver more palatable, I’m sure.

Anyone who thinks Hendrick bought that car, funded the McLaren crew and all the race expense including tires and paid for all those chopper and fixed-wing jet flights without a guaranteed NASCAR waiver isn’t seeing things clearly.

Hendrick still hasn't applied for a waiver yet, probably just waiting and hoping for all the crazy to calm down before they do. In a month or so they will apply and get it. They don't need it for a while.

Maybe NASCAR will suspend Larson. That will make the granting of a waiver more palatable, I’m sure.

Anyone who thinks Hendrick bought that car, funded the McLaren crew and all the race expense including tires and paid for all those chopper and fixed-wing jet flights without a guaranteed NASCAR waiver isn’t seeing things clearly.
Especiailly after he and Jim France built the LeMans car together.

Don’t disqualify him from the chase, but take away his current eligibility. Make him win another race to earn his way in. Fairest way to do it. Per the rules he shouldn’t get a waiver. He actively made the decision that Indy was priority, right wrong or indifferent. I’m fine witn his decision, but he actively chose to stay there Vs the coke 600. Were talking about a guy who 100% would rather race dirt every day of his life than to ever get in another cup car. Outside of winning the Daytona 500 I’m sure he’s probably accomplished everything he’s set out to do in this sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t disqualify him from the chase, but take away his current eligibility. Make him win another race to earn his way in. Fairest way to do it. Per the rules he shouldn’t get a waiver. He actively made the decision that Indy was priority, right wrong or indifferent. I’m fine witn his decision, but he actively chose to stay there Vs the coke 600. Were talking about a guy who 100% would rather race dirt every day of his life than to ever get in another cup car. Outside of winning the Daytona 500 I’m sure he’s probably accomplished everything he’s set out to do in this sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and he would need to do a Carl Edwards back flip after he wins or it is all void.

Should Nascar give Kyle Larson a waiver?​

This is one of the most obvious answers to a question there has been in the sport. Absolutely, you give him the waiver, no questions asked.

I still say no, based on the rule and the intent of the rule. Unless they’re going to allow this moving forward.

Can’t make an exception because “he’s Kyle Larson.”

NASCAR gives out waivers for suspensions and off-track injuries. How is Larson doing the double not worthy of a waiver? Especially given the circumstances, that being weather.

I'm baffled that this is even an argument that made it 4 pages deep.

I still say no, based on the rule and the intent of the rule. Unless they’re going to allow this moving forward.

What do YOU think the intent of the rule is, because the way I see it, Larson had every INTENT to run the 600 until the rain intervened. This was not an attempt for either the driver or the car to skip a race, which is what I think the intent is.

What do YOU think the intent of the rule is, because the way I see it, Larson had every INTENT to run the 600 until the rain intervened. This was not an attempt for either the driver or the car to skip a race, which is what I think the intent is.

Kaz Grala and Grant Enfinger intended to run races they had to withdrawal from for circumstances out of their control when their waivers got denied.

The intent of the rule was quite literally to have drivers run all 36 races barring circumstances beyond their control.

When NASCAR wrote the mandate, this is the EXACT scenario they had in mind, someone like Larson being locked in and deciding to just run some other race somewhere else that weekend. That's why this is not a surefire decision.

And, as I've said 100,000+ times, NASCAR could easily fix all this crap by only taking top 20 or top 25 points finishers.

I'm sorry, what in the rules prohibits him getting a waiver?

Thanks!

The intent of the rule was to prevent this exact scenario. Because, at the time, Tony Stewart was running around talking about how drivers should be able to miss races and was suggesting he should be able to take weekends off to race at Eldora. And Kyle Larson was coming in with the mindset that dirt racing is bigger than NASCAR.

Didn't John Andretti, Kurt, and Tony run both races? Kyle tried but they called the race for humidity so he took it in the shorts, and now there are those that think there is a problem? I believe all of the above didn't lose their availability.

NASCAR gives out waivers for suspensions and off-track injuries. How is Larson doing the double not worthy of a waiver? Especially given the circumstances, that being weather.

Winner, Winner. This post sums up everything I was trying to say.

He had the option to go to Charlotte when it was clear the Indy 500 wouldn’t start until around the same time as the 600.

I understand his intent was to run both, but once Indy was delayed, that no longer became possible, so he instead chose to race Indy and be like “Hey NASCAR, I’ll get there when I get there, okay?” Joining the race when it’s halfway over doesn’t count as running the race, in my opinion. Your intent goes out the window once you clearly chose one race over the other. Again, in race injury should allow for a waiver. Choosing to race elsewhere one weekend should.

I understand his intent was to run both, but once Indy was delayed, that no longer became possible, so he instead chose to race Indy and be like “Hey NASCAR, I’ll get there when I get there, okay?” Joining the race when it’s halfway over doesn’t count as running the race, in my opinion. Your intent goes out the window once you clearly chose one race over the other. Again, in race injury should allow for a waiver. Choosing to race elsewhere one weekend should.
Well, one thing is for sure. If NASCAR isn't willing to be flexible on this, you can pretty much forget about seeing anyone else to try the double. There was a qualified car in the field and an airplane ready to take him to Charlotte. That constitutes intent in my book. This is not blowing off the whole Cup weekend to go race a sprint car in Pig's Knuckle Arkansas.

The rule was put in place so that a driver couldn't decide to take a midseason vacation and skip a race after already securing a race win earlier in the season.

So, Kyle Larson took a vacation? This thread is pointless.
It’s relevant to those who want to discuss Larson’s sponsors, responsibilities, those fans he let down and his priorities

So what about Matt Kenseth getting a waiver after sitting home the first 4 races? What about suspended drivers getting waivers?

Yeah, because no one at Hendrick Cars had any idea in advance Larson might miss the 600.

If I were a car dealer, I'd have preferred having my brand exposed to a new audience. Indy's of the biggest TV audiences of the year, with a large number of casual viewers, with my brand getting plenty of attention because of Larson's attempt. NASCAR fans have seen it for years and will have more opportunities. Indeed, my brand was out there making laps at the 600 and being shown on TV regardless of driver.

Yeah, because no one at Hendrick Cars had any idea in advance Larson might miss the 600.

If I were a car dealer, I'd have preferred having my brand exposed to a new audience. Indy's of the biggest TV audiences of the year, with a large number of casual viewers, with my brand getting plenty of attention because of Larson's attempt. NASCAR fans have seen it for years and will have more opportunities. Indeed, my brand was out there making laps at the 600 and being shown on TV regardless of driver.
I was being facetious of course, but I agree 100% with you. 4 years ago at this time, HendrickCars.Com wasn’t featured in either of the two biggest auto races in the United States. This year it was at both. That’s a win however you look at it imo

Yeah, I'm going to leave that to those fans. The few posts I've seen from them almost all favor his decisions.
The venn diagram of people who say they only watch stock car racing/NASCAR and those who are even suggesting it is important Kyle Larson not get a waiver because he "let down his fans/NASCAR" is basically just two overlapping circles.

I was being facetious of course, but I agree 100% with you. 4 years ago at this time, HendrickCars.Com wasn’t featured in either of the two biggest auto races in the United States. This year it was at both. That’s a win however you look at it imo
Hiring a racial slur uttering person is always a win for exposure...

Back
Top Bottom