SILLY SEASON 2018

I doubt he will get it as well. The move is on to younger drivers and Rick can't afford to fall behind.
All the team owners have to lock in who they want to keep for the future and your not doing this by overpaying Kenseth for a year.

I'm not so sure how attractive a one year stint in the 88 would be anyway ... Matt would surely prefer a multi-year deal somewhere else as long as it was a quality ride.
Name a quality ride open to an expensive driver? Like I said if you don't lock down a current up N comer it may cost to much to start at the bottom.

We don't know what is and isn't available yet .. outside of the #88. Things will open up in the coming weeks. It's possible Kenseth would be open to taking a pay cut for a multi-year deal.

I think that is his only chance at getting a ride OR he could do like Kurt and help a lesser team find what it needs to advance.
What is your opinion on Kurt and Brad who don't have deals signed yet?

I would think both Kurt and Brad would re-sign with their current teams. Brad for sure .. Kurt 75 percent chance. I would think Matt would be a great candidate for the #10 if Danica retires or gets dumped. I also think the #21 could be an interesting option if Penske adds on Blaney. That would be an interesting alliance .. Wood Bros/Penske .. Kenseth/Logano/Keselowski/Blaney. I also think some owners could look at Matt as a big upgade over their current veteran driver and make a switch. We'll see. I'm a big Matt fan, but I just think the guy is too good of a driver to be banished into retirement. He'll get a quality ride of some sort.

I would think both Kurt and Brad would re-sign with their current teams. Brad for sure .. Kurt 75 percent chance. I would think Matt would be a great candidate for the #10 if Danica retires or gets dumped. I also think the #21 could be an interesting option if Penske adds on Blaney. That would be an interesting alliance .. Wood Bros/Penske .. Kenseth/Logano/Keselowski/Blaney. I also think some owners could look at Matt as a big upgade over their current veteran driver and make a switch. We'll see. I'm a big Matt fan, but I just think the guy is too good of a driver to be banished into retirement. He'll get a quality ride of some sort.

Sounds like he is not worried about it which probably means he has offer on the table. I think he still can get it done and really the most likely spot I honestly see him is in with if not Hendrick is SHR.

Roger would never sign or support the alliance with Matt, IMO

Sounds like he is not worried about it which probably means he has offer on the table. I think he still can get it done and really the most likely spot I honestly see him is in with if not Hendrick is SHR.

This article I just read makes it sound like Matt may have a deal with Hendrick lined up, but it won't be for the #88 car. They think it's the #5, or maybe the #25. I guess the #88 could be retired for a season or two, and then brought back when Byron or Bowman get elevated full time.

http://nesn.com/2017/07/nascar-rumors-matt-kenseth-doesnt-think-hell-be-in-no-88-next-season/

Looks like RPM wants Bubba, but they are trying to get Smithfield to resign:

I hope it happens, RPM was pretty good at finding sponsors for Hornish for races at a time, let's hope Bubba gets his time and Almirola gets his primary sponsor back. Hopefully everything turns out positive for RPM.

This article I just read makes it sound like Matt may have a deal with Hendrick lined up, but it won't be for the #88 car. They think it's the #5, or maybe the #25. I guess the #88 could be retired for a season or two, and then brought back when Byron or Bowman get elevated full time.

http://nesn.com/2017/07/nascar-rumors-matt-kenseth-doesnt-think-hell-be-in-no-88-next-season/

As long as Matt continues to perform at a high level he will have suitors. HMS could give him a 2 year deal and still accomplish its goals.

I think that the market is in a weird place...unless Matt takes a huge cut. What he is willing to take in terms of $ will either increase (if he takes numbers consistent with unproven talent) or decrease (if he isn't willing to race for less as @Allenbaba noted) his value. It really is up to what Matt is willing to do I suppose. This isn't simply about his ability, and/or how much time he has left to race.

Been on the bandwagon for a while, but I think he could be in it for the long-haul. It would be cool to see.
really short tryout in cup IMo but he did a good job. I would like to see him run a season, Like Johnson wasn't on fire in Xfinity years ago, Bubba might fit better in a cup car.

Didn't Ricky Rudd almost die when he won Martinsville? Didn't Davey Allison race basically blind? The fainting issue I'm sure is of no concern otherwise he would be um Brian Vickers.

Didn't Ricky Rudd almost die when he won Martinsville? Didn't Davey Allison race basically blind? The fainting issue I'm sure is of no concern otherwise he would be um Brian Vickers.
yeah for sure, but those were back in the iron man period when a driver really couldn't miss a race. In Vickers case, he had to cleared by the doctors to race and then he had another clot and to my knowledge hasn't raced anymore.

yeah for sure, but those were back in the iron man period when a driver really couldn't miss a race. In Vickers case, he had to cleared by the doctors to race and then he had another clot and to my knowledge hasn't raced anymore.

Yeah just my knee jerk reaction to the Bubba fainting concern which to me seems like no big deal considering what these guys go through and I can't imagine the nerves. If we should be concerned like that then Dale Jr should never get in a car again.

Yeah just my knee jerk reaction to the Bubba fainting concern which to me seems like no big deal considering what these guys go through and I can't imagine the nerves. If we should be concerned like that then Dale Jr should never get in a car again.
You know that I think was a big part of Bubba's fainting. Super pressure, he drove like he was on tippy toes to keep from screwing up and the relief that it was over might have caused the fainting spell. If he was under contract the pressure could lessen. Petty's easy going nature could be a good thing compared to Roush.

Well earlier tonight, Jr's wife tweeted out a big no to him running The Busch Clash at Daytona next year citing his health after racing saying running that race is too risky. The tweets back to her made me embarrassed to be a human being, my "favorite" one being "Shouldn't you get back to the kitchen?"

^ Ouch, Snappy. Anonymous keyboard warriors... bad stuff.

Nope.

Didn't Larson faint a couple years ago? Didn't Dale Sr. black out on the pace lap at Darlington once?
Larson fainted at a fan appearance after a practice session, and IIRC he was required by Nascar to get a medical clearance before getting back in the car. Missed one race. That was Martinsville 2015.

I'll guess Nascar required Bubba to go through a medical check, like Larson. I think it is a good question, and not something to be taken lightly. And hopefully there is a simple answer and no future problems for Bubba. The days of taping your eyes open while Nascar conveniently looks the other way... those days are over.

Nope.

Didn't Larson faint a couple years ago? Didn't Dale Sr. black out on the pace lap at Darlington once?
Sr won the pole with a reported broken collar bone at the glen in the 90s. Prior (as mentioned) Mr Rudd taped open his eyes.... everything else is just a game.

I'm not so sure how attractive a one year stint in the 88 would be anyway ... Matt would surely prefer a multi-year deal somewhere else as long as it was a quality ride.

All the 12th place finishes you can shake a stick at.

Drivers from earlier decades were a different breed, they would drive a piece of junk 500 miles at Dover with a full field of drivers because they loved racing. I bet if you took a poll of drivers and said what do you think about a 500 mile race at Dover you wouldn't get 50 percent say they would like to do it.

I don't know about all that, but you sure know it when one of their A/C goes out. To their credit they are wearing a heck of a lot more clothing and getting a whole lot less air in the cars than back in the day. Looking at the shape most of of them are in, I think those drivers would like to run 600 miles.

Drivers from earlier decades were a different breed, they would drive a piece of junk 500 miles at Dover with a full field of drivers because they loved racing. I bet if you took a poll of drivers and said what do you think about a 500 mile race at Dover you wouldn't get 50 percent say they would like to do it.
Racecar drivers wait impatiently for the next race. They've always done that and they still do.

That, sir, is a fact of life.

The drivers might wait impatiently for the next race , but I bet most of them do want shorter races. I agree that most of them wouldn't want to do 500 miles at Dover.
Didn't Earnhardt Jr. say in the past a lot of the races should be shorter. And Harvick was talking about a shorter schedule.
The drivers of today all make so much money and they don't have a clue what it was like in the past. It took Richard Petty till 1982 to earn a million dollars, heck these guys make this in 5 races. The drivers of today are like most people we complain our job is too hard or doesn't pay enough and really forget how good some people have it. I hear government workers complain all the time and they are the most over payed under worked part of the work force.

I'm sure they enjoy racing and competition, but a lot of them complain about wanting shorter races. I never heard Dale senior asking for shorter races. Drivers today are not as tough as they once were, it was already mentioned about Ricky Rudd nearly getting killed at Daytona and then taping his eyes open and winning the next race. There may be a few guys still like that but as a whole drivers from the 70s and 80s would whip their tails now.

The drivers might wait impatiently for the next race , but I bet most of them do want shorter races. I agree that most of them wouldn't want to do 500 miles at Dover.
Didn't Earnhardt Jr. say in the past a lot of the races should be shorter. And Harvick was talking about a shorter schedule.
The drivers of today all make so much money and they don't have a clue what it was like in the past. It took Richard Petty till 1982 to earn a million dollars, heck these guys make this in 5 races. The drivers of today are like most people we complain our job is too hard or doesn't pay enough and really forget how good some people have it. I hear government workers complain all the time and they are the most over payed under worked part of the work force.
I believe you are exactly right, how many drivers today put in 16 hours a day trying to get their cars ready to race? Drivers today have it easy compared to the way it used to be.

I believe you are exactly right, how many drivers today put in 16 hours a day trying to get their cars ready to race? Drivers today have it easy compared to the way it used to be.

In fairness to today's drivers they have a lot more glad handing and other outside obligations than the older generation of drivers. Personally I would rather be holed up in a garage somewhere as opposed to the dog and pony shows today's drivers do.

I'm sure they enjoy racing and competition, but a lot of them complain about wanting shorter races. I never heard Dale senior asking for shorter races. Drivers today are not as tough as they once were, it was already mentioned about Ricky Rudd nearly getting killed at Daytona and then taping his eyes open and winning the next race. There may be a few guys still like that but as a whole drivers from the 70s and 80s would whip their tails now.
Yeah ... and power steering.

Back
Top Bottom