SILLY SEASON 2018

Been on the bandwagon for a while, but I think he could be in it for the long-haul. It would be cool to see.
Followed him since he won his first K&N start at Greenvile-Pickens Speedway.

I really think that if Kahne isn't back, they will move Byron up. Unless they somehow get Keselowski back in the fold, but I don't see that. If it is Byron or Keselowski, where does that leave Kenseth and Kahne? Either would be good for an upstart GMS team.

Well now that Byron is in the 88, I think it will depend on if Hendrick cuts Kasey Kahne loose and puts Kenseth in there as a stop gap for Byron. But I dont think so with today's news. I think they keep Kahne for the 2018 and move Byron up the next year in the 5. I think Kenseth either goes to the 77 or GMS if they move up.

I really think that if Kahne isn't back, they will move Byron up. Unless they somehow get Keselowski back in the fold, but I don't see that. If it is Byron or Keselowski, where does that leave Kenseth and Kahne? Either would be good for an upstart GMS team.
reports are that Kahne is losing both of his sponsors at the end of the season. If I hear he has some new ones signed up that would be the bell cow.

reports are that Kahne is losing both of his sponsors at the end of the season. If I hear he has some new ones signed up that would be the bell cow.
I wonder if Kenseth could bring some with him from the 20 to the 5 if thats what ends up happening?

I wonder if Kenseth could bring some with him from the 20 to the 5 if thats what ends up happening?
This would be awesome
IMG_0673.JPG

Huh..."Bubba Wallace to the 5 according to my sources at City Chevrolet in Charlotte"

What are the chances Kenseth does a Greg Biffle and retires without announcement?

Chances are probably higher than I would like to believe. He's an expensive driver with no real sponsorship behind him. He's a wheelman and not a salesman. I would think he would take a pay cut for a multi year deal, but he wants to be with a quality team. I think he will opt to bow out if he can't get at least a fairly competetive ride. He's not the least bit intersted in tooling around mid pack and back. He doesn't want to quit, but if the offers aren't there he should walk off into the sunset. I don't think he gives a crap about fancy sendoffs and hoopla like that.

Chances are probably higher than I would like to believe. He's an expensive driver with no real sponsorship behind him. He's a wheelman and not a salesman. I would think he would take a pay cut for a multi year deal, but he wants to be with a quality team. I think he will opt to bow out if he can't get at least a fairly competetive ride. He's not the least bit intersted in tooling around mid pack and back. He doesn't want to quit, but if the offers aren't there he should walk off into the sunset. I don't think he gives a crap about fancy sendoffs and hoopla like that.

Now he is basically down to four options next year I would say...
Hendrick 5
SHR 10
WB 21
FRR 77

He totally seems like the type of guy that would just step away and call it a career

NBC's Nate Ryan is reporting that Kez signing with Penske to stay in the 2 is very close to being a done deal...

“Whether Brad Keselowski was seriously weighing a move to the 88 or whether he was using it as leverage to get a better deal from Team Penske and Ford, this just makes it all the more likely that he will re-sign with Team Penske and stay in the No. 2 Ford next year,” Ryan said.

“It’s very likely that we will hear soon that Brad Keselowski is re-signing with Team Penske. That deal is very close.”

Also, Nate says Axalta really likes William Byron and wants to go to Cup with him. But Axalta is an anchor sponsor in 2018 on the 88 with Alex Bowman. So this seems awkward IMO. It will be fascinating to see how this shakes out. Could Byron be spending a second year in Xfinity, then moving in 2019 to the 88 with Axalta? Or to the 5 in 2019 with Axalta moving from the 88 to the 5 in 2019? Or Axalta deciding Bowman is their guy after all in the 88? A lot of questions remain, IMO.

Hendrick 5
SHR 10
WB 21
FRR 77

He totally seems like the type of guy that would just step away and call it a career
I think his best option would be to totally step away or go with the 10.......

Danica needs to go..... It was a good experiment for Tony..... she paid the bills for the first few years....... but..... face it.....

She ain't gonna never be any better than she is right now....... which isn't good.........

Hendrick 5
SHR 10
WB 21
FRR 77

Only ride open as of now is the 77. IMO thats the best option to be competitive & not stir the pot too much. Who wouldnt want to share a shop with Cole Pearn?

Official ... Alex Bowman to the #88 for 2018. When will the next domino fall?

I get it, Bowman is young, and lord knows HMS needed to get younger as a whole... but I just don't know. To use a football analogy, Bowman is like Matt Cassel; don't get me wrong he's a really, really, good backup driver/quarterback. High floor, dependable, won't let you down in a pinch, but I think he's got a low ceiling, and when he tries to be the starter... yeah no it doesn't work. He's no Aaron sitting behind Favre. Plus, bowman doesn't have Bill Belichick/Chad Knaus coach on his side to make magic out of milkweed. He may have been the best driver riding the pine, but he was still riding the pine behind a mediocre driver to boot. Put it this way, Chase Elliot got promoted over him despite being younger and far more raw when the 24 opened up. The whole situation was screaming for Rick to grab a FA veteran until byron is ready.

Was Bowman ever a candidate to take over the #24? I don't think he was really in the fold at HMS at the time besides a couple of JRM Xfinity appearances, and Chase was coming off of an Xfinity title. That was a no-brainer. He's become an integral part of the organization since then.

I get it, Bowman is young, and lord knows HMS needed to get younger as a whole... but I just don't know. To use a football analogy, Bowman is like Matt Cassel; don't get me wrong he's a really, really, good backup driver/quarterback. High floor, dependable, won't let you down in a pinch, but I think he's got a low ceiling, and when he tries to be the starter... yeah no it doesn't work. He's no Aaron sitting behind Favre. Plus, bowman doesn't have Bill Belichick/Chad Knaus coach on his side to make magic out of milkweed. He may have been the best driver riding the pine, but he was still riding the pine behind a mediocre driver to boot. Put it this way, Chase Elliot got promoted over him despite being younger and far more raw when the 24 opened up. The whole situation was screaming for Rick to grab a FA veteran until byron is ready.

Or Bowman is Kurt Warner. He's an unknown who's gonna come out of nowhere and surprise everyone. Or maybe he's Drew Brees, just needs an opportunity with the right team for everyone to realize how great he can be. Tom Brady was Drew Bledsoe's backup and look what happened there. Steve Young played like hell in Tampa Bay but ended up being the best QB in the league in San Fran.

Bowman stuck it out in lousy equipment and "paid his dues" without being "silver spoon" or whatever people like to complain about. Got an opportunity with a good team and ran really well. Now he is being rewarded and I think it's the right move.

Chase really wasn't that raw for his age, and didn't get "promoted" over Bowman considering Bowman wasn't even in the fold when it happened. I'm not really sure what the other HMS drivers have to do with it anyway. If Hendrick really wants another FA veteran, put him in the 5 for a couple years.

I see Kenseth in the 21
No Blaney stays there and Bubba goes to the 12 or vice versa. My understanding is Blaney likes Woid Brothers and they like him, it's a Truex in the 78 type where he's a part of Penske, but on a " outside" team

Last edited:
Nope, per my opinion, I dont think even this win can save his bacon, mmmmm bacon, with HMS at this point, Its time for him and HMS to part ways and the 5 team gets an overhaul.

I believe deals are done, I believe Byron will not be delayed to the 5 and Kahne could move to the 10

Byron said yesterday he needed another year in Xfinity before moving up.

Back
Top Bottom