SILLY SEASON 2018

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Fordracing7, Jun 4, 2017.

1. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Crew Chief

It's unfortunate Alex Bowman's talent is gonna go to waste.

Mike Crayne likes this.
  2. Invisible Guest

Invisible Guest Tire changer

He's a pretty solid bet for the 88 .. both Jimmie and Junior have went to bat for him. Just today Jimmie said Bowman deserves the 88 ride, but it wil ultimately be the call of the sponsors.

3. If Bowman doesn't get the ride...... I will be disappointed.... he done more than an excellent job filling in last year.....

oldbob and 2 Sweet like this.
  4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

If nothing else Bowman would tear them up in a good xfinity car and hopefully get a cup ride if Hendrick doesn't go that way. He can't continue to be a fill in driver and a simulator tech I wouldn't think

oldbob and kymartin6 like this.
  5. I think he is ready to move up.........

oldbob likes this.
  6. Wildthing

Wildthing Jackman

its a shame that the sponsors basically control the sport now

frow78, LewTheShoe and 2 Sweet like this.
  7. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

IDK he didn't set the world on fire in Jr's car and that might be the holdup for a cup ride. He didn't have a chance driving Tommy Baldwin's stuff before that.

Simple Fan likes this.
  8. Wildthing

Wildthing Jackman

i agree i looked at his results today

they werent that impressive

9. But......... on another note......... Jr. hasn't either........ maybe he done as good as could be expected..... actually he probably performed on the same level or maybe a bit better......

considering he had to jump into a car and team he wasn't used to.

Clutch and oldbob like this.
  10. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

If they put Byron in, I doubt in 10 races he would tear it up either, But Bowman had a bunch of cup races under his belt. Byron has nothing. Kinda hard to believe that Byron is in his second year and he is being considered for a top cup ride.

frow78 and LewTheShoe like this.
  11. Simple Fan

Simple Fan First or Last

The kid wins races. He deserves the 88 more than Bowman in my opinion.

jws926 likes this.
  12. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

The thing about Byron is you can watch him learn and get better, I knew when they put him in an xfinity car he was going to come to the front the second time he came to most of these tracks. He's sharp. Jones is the same way, he been right up there at Loudon this time.

13. Skoalbandit33

Skoalbandit33 Team Owner

The sponsors have the teams by the short and curlies so if the teams want their money they will play ball. If Nascar produced a product with good demographics and a healthy viewing audience this would not be happening but since records lows are set for most races the teams have to defer to the sponsors in some cases.

14. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Crew Chief

Bowman did more than what Jeff and Dale did all season by his performance at Phoenix and other tracks he did well. Sponsors control the sport right now, but ideally I'd like Bowman in the 88 and Byron in the 5.

Blaze88, kymartin6 and 2 Sweet like this.
  15. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Good article for Bowman to the 88
    Jimmie Johnson: Alex Bowman would be ‘a great fit’ for No. 88

We put a lot on him now,” Johnson said Friday of Bowman before practice at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. “I think he’d be a great fit to come in that car from a wide variety of angles.
    “When I look at how he stepped in seamlessly, it was really impressive for me,” Johnson said. “He handled the pressure, won a pole (at Phoenix), was up there duking it out for race wins, had a heated moment or two with some of the veterans and wasn’t rattled.

“We all watched him evolve. You drive for a lower level team and unfortunately, people’s opinion about you can change. That cloud or stigma was there for a while, and he had a chance to reset the deck when he drove the 88. I think he’s plenty capable. He’s been a great teammate. He knows our system.”

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07...-the-no-88-says-sponsors-will-dictate-driver/

Blaze88, LewTheShoe, Kiante and 2 others like this.
  16. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Been reading reddit today and the rumor mill is literally ablaze.

Seen where someone said after Indy, BK Racing is going to shut down and GMS will get the charter for the 23 and 83. Kahne will be at GMS
    Give it to him.

Get Byron ready for the 5 car, problem solved.

2 Sweet likes this.
  17. Fordracing7

Fordracing7 Team Owner

Oh yeah I've been watching Reddit the rumors on there are rampid people swear they're in the know say things like... Kahne is going to GMS with Spencer as a two-car team in 2018. Amazon is going to sponsor Kyle Larson in 2018 Alex Bowman is going to the third car for ganassi aric almirola going to Stewart-Haas Danica's retiring Kurt Busch's retiring Matt Kenseth is going to Stewart-Haas Matt Kenseth is also going to split the season with William Byron in the 88 also Matt Kenseth is retiring Richard Petty is hiring Bubba RCR is down to two cars Mernard is driving for the Wood Brothers Penske and Penske Xfinity team Roush closing petty is closing dibenedetto's going to take over the 43 Blaney is going to the 2 Keselowski going to the 88. I know I've read some other ones too....

oldbob, jws926, Blaze88 and 2 others like this.
  18. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

GMS ie Spenser Gallagher said at the beginning of the season they wanted to go cup racing. They moved up to Xfinity this year with two cars and kept their truck teams. They have the money it looks like. They have been running France in addition to plane boy.

19. jws926

jws926 Japanse Cars Are The Best

Just like opinions and arseholes, everyone has a rumor to post :D

Fordracing7 likes this.
  20. kkfan91

kkfan91 R-Fs resident Communist

Oh come on I said Kahne to GMS like a month ago

Fordracing7 likes this.
  21. jws926

jws926 Japanse Cars Are The Best

Probably why it got posted there, they seen it here :D

LewTheShoe and Fordracing7 like this.
  22. Biggreen695

Biggreen695 Crew Chief

Spencer Gallagher has absolutely no business on a cup racetrack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Sweet likes this.
  23. kkfan91

kkfan91 R-Fs resident Communist

:fixed:

2 Sweet and jws926 like this.
  24. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Everything's Great!

I agree that Bowman's performance in the 88 is maybe a tad overrrated. A lot of people point to the fact that he outperformed Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon in that car last year, but Junior and Gordon didn't really do much in it so the bar was set kind of low. I don't think Gordon even got a top-10 in it IIRC. Bowman did a good to very good job in that car, but I wouldn't say it was great.

jws926 and Skoalbandit33 like this.
  25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I think it earned Bowman a shot in an Xfinity ride, he could take Byron's ride. I don't see how Byron can keep from going to cup. Who is better around to put in the seat, and then what, Byron gets more experience in Xfinity and then Hendrick would have to find him a seat in cup in a year or two?

ToyYoda likes this.
  26. ReturnTrip

ReturnTrip Team Owner

Gordon's avg finish was 13, Jr's 15, Bowman's 19. I think the only race Gordon finished outside the top 15 was Pocono where his belts came off on a late restart.

ChexOrWrex and ToyYoda like this.
  27. Boggity x3 Amen

Boggity x3 Amen Spectator

I wonder where the Menards money goes? 21, 10, 77?

28. I think Menard goes to the 21

29. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

According to NBC's broadcast from Loudon, Jason Ratcliff said that he will not be crew chief of the 20 next year. Erik Jones said a few days ago that crew chief details were unknown, at least to him. But I wonder if he is bringing Chris Gayle with him from Furniture Row???

30. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

The trend today is to take the CC to cup with his winning driver. In this case going from cup to cup why break up a good combination?

31. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex I'm so unbothered and that is what bothers people

I believe Gordon was top 10 at that moment as well.

32. ChexOrWrex

IMO

Bubba Wallace to the #21 and Blaney moves to a official third Penske cup team

33. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

OR replaces Brad.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  34. ChexOrWrex

Brad is their flagship driver. I dont see Brad leaving or being nixed for quite some time - if ever.

LewTheShoe and 2 Sweet like this.
  35. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Times are changing and driver demands can turn the tables. I doubt Roger would want to let him go BUT sponsors say who will drive these days.

36. Invisible Guest

Invisible Guest Tire changer

37. ChexOrWrex

Hes top 10 in points with 2 wins.

38. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Crew Chief

And he's getting top dollar. If a sponsor is looking to reduce their outlay on sponsorship, a fat drivers salary can get in the way (especially when he's asking for money for his truck team).

Team Penske likes this.
  39. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I hear that but one of the stories is that he is trying to get more money from Ford for his truck team. Fact is he is losing his butt owning the team, Kyle and him both have said they are losing money. So it could possibly be one of the reasons. Harvick didn't last long doing it FWIW.

LewTheShoe and Hawaii808 like this.
  40. ChexOrWrex

Kenseth doesnt feel optimistic about him driving the #88

kkfan91, LewTheShoe and Team Penske like this.