SILLY SEASON 2018

That rumor is false. I’m not on rubbins racing.com, but I do talk to Kurt just about every day!

Doesn’t mean this won’t be his last season...a lot can happen. He’s still doing some soul searching. But as of right now there is no retirement plan. (Also, Gene’s not a big fan of Custer. That has made things internally....shall we say....interesting.)

Damn, I would have never thought.

Kurt is a wheel man no doubt. I don't know anyone inside the sport, but I'm guessing Gene is a big fan of a driver like Kurt. That guy can win just about anywhere. Gene, in my opinion put Kurt back on the map. He deserved another shot. Plus he's matured a ton from what I've seen.

I remember how thrilled I was when Kurt went from the 78 to the 41, in hindsight he'd have been better off staying at Furniture Row. Funny how things work out.

I remember how thrilled I was when Kurt went from the 78 to the 41, in hindsight he'd have been better off staying at Furniture Row. Funny how things work out.
Had Kurt stayed in the 78 the team may have stayed the same and never improved for the simple reason they would/could have depended on him to much. RCR had Dale E. but never top equipment and that hasn't changed.
Furniture row saw what could be with Kurt and when they lost him they made the effort to improve. They got real lucky with the Toyota deal and their driver/CC combination.

Had Kurt stayed in the 78 the team may have stayed the same and never improved for the simple reason they would/could have depended on him to much. RCR had Dale E. but never top equipment and that hasn't changed.
Furniture row saw what could be with Kurt and when they lost him they made the effort to improve. They got real lucky with the Toyota deal and their driver/CC combination.
I think Kurt would have won 5 races the next season had he stayed. The only improvement needed was the pit crew, which they fixed (and would have still fixed had Kurt stayed). And while Toyota is clearly ahead of Chevy right now on track, FRR made it to the final four at Homestead as a Chevy, so it's not like the switch is the reason they're successful, the switch merely amplified the success. Also...fun fact...Toyota really wanted Kurt in their stable. The entire season Kurt drove for FRR, TRD and FRR were in negotiations for FRR to switch to Toyota. As soon as Kurt announced he was leaving, negotiations stopped. So it's more likely than not that FRR would have been a Toyota team two years earlier had Kurt stayed.

(Also, Gene’s not a big fan of Custer. That has made things internally....shall we say....interesting.)

I'm just curious to know if this is a performance/talent thing or a personality thing. Does Gene think he's not that good, or does Gene just not like him?

Isn't that what he's trying to do now?

well of course, I'm not stating my opinion on him. I like him, but last year I recall that Gene was saying that he's going to have to earn sponsorship if he wants to make it to cup as if he doesn't want him just ride off of his coattails

I'm just curious to know if this is a performance/talent thing or a personality thing. Does Gene think he's not that good, or does Gene just not like him?
I don't know. Maybe a combination of both. Obviously there's nepotism involved (I'm assuming most know who his father, Joe Custer, is). Remember the 41 was created because Gene wanted Kurt - partly because he loves his attitude & driving ability, but also partly as an "FU" to Tony who went out and put himself in the hospital. The 41 was an impulse buy, and at the time he liked having his logo on Kurt's car. Would he feel the same about Cole? I dunno...I guess that's where the "meh" comes in. I wouldn't be surprised to see SHR as a 3 car team if Kurt decides to retire (which I put at 60/40 he will...just my gut impression based on our conversations). I do think Cole will end up at SHR eventually (again, because of Joe). But whether or not he'll have to find outside sponsorship vs being a Haas Automation guy is TBD...

I think Kurt would have won 5 races the next season had he stayed. The only improvement needed was the pit crew, which they fixed (and would have still fixed had Kurt stayed). And while Toyota is clearly ahead of Chevy right now on track, FRR made it to the final four at Homestead as a Chevy, so it's not like the switch is the reason they're successful, the switch merely amplified the success. Also...fun fact...Toyota really wanted Kurt in their stable. The entire season Kurt drove for FRR, TRD and FRR were in negotiations for FRR to switch to Toyota. As soon as Kurt announced he was leaving, negotiations stopped. So it's more likely than not that FRR would have been a Toyota team two years earlier had Kurt stayed.

Every week it seemed Kurt had one of the fastest cars on the track just seemed like one thing or another would happen. Funny though, Penske seemed to be in down years when Kurt was there and then he left and the 2 won the Championship. Left FRR and the 78 won the championship. I sure hope the puts together a great year in 2018 - I really felt moving to SHR he'd have the same level of success as Harvick but just hasn't happened.

Every week it seemed Kurt had one of the fastest cars on the track just seemed like one thing or another would happen. Funny though, Penske seemed to be in down years when Kurt was there and then he left and the 2 won the Championship. Left FRR and the 78 won the championship. I sure hope the puts together a great year in 2018 - I really felt moving to SHR he'd have the same level of success as Harvick but just hasn't happened.
And the place Kurt won a championship hasnt won one since he left.

I don't know. Maybe a combination of both. Obviously there's nepotism involved (I'm assuming most know who his father, Joe Custer, is). Remember the 41 was created because Gene wanted Kurt - partly because he loves his attitude & driving ability, but also partly as an "FU" to Tony who went out and put himself in the hospital. The 41 was an impulse buy, and at the time he liked having his logo on Kurt's car. Would he feel the same about Cole? I dunno...I guess that's where the "meh" comes in. I wouldn't be surprised to see SHR as a 3 car team if Kurt decides to retire (which I put at 60/40 he will...just my gut impression based on our conversations). I do think Cole will end up at SHR eventually (again, because of Joe). But whether or not he'll have to find outside sponsorship vs being a Haas Automation guy is TBD...

If Kurt retires I'll be super bummed. The guy is my hero. The road he has traveled to get to where he is in life has been something to witness. NASCAR just won't be the same without him.

If Kurt retires I'll be super bummed. The guy is my hero. The road he has traveled to get to where he is in life has been something to witness. NASCAR just won't be the same without him.

This is why to an extent I rate Kurt a bit higher than Kyle.

Kurt has never been the fastest, but the man can have a trash car off the trailer and with his feedback on the track deciphering every bit to how his car feels through every inch of a corner and down the straights. IMHO that's what makes him so deadly as a driver and I enjoy his feedback over the radio. Pre and post spazzouts over the radio.

Corey Lajoie and Cole Whitt will split the 72 car this year. Corey will have 26 races and Whitt will have 10 races.
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...-2018.html?soid=1114049355426&aid=MViop6OoTh4

Whitt said he wanted to spend more time with family, its a shame because I'm a huge advocate for someone to take an opportunity on Whitt because he has the skill/ability and the money to be a damn good driver for a good team. If I had the team, he would be the guy to go after for me IMHO, he's really underrated. Also, I'm excited to see Corey in something this year, I hope he shows something in the 72. Its not the greatest, but its something for Tri-Star.

Wish the best luck to the team.

I have no doubt they feel that way. NASCAR and the NASCAR (cough, cough) press hate the guy. I can't wait for them to have to put him in the HoF. Those self-righteous ______'s are gonna have to eat crow that day. I'll be grinning from ear to ear when it happens.
Nascar never offered a public apology for setting him out over the Driscoll deal. As the years pass they still haven't uttered a peep about it. That is a leadership error IMO, don't know who decided to stonewall about it.

Nascar never offered a public apology for setting him out over the Driscoll deal. As the years pass they still haven't uttered a peep about it. That is a leadership error IMO, don't know who decided to stonewall about it.

When is NASCRAP ever wrong?

Since we are in Speedweeks now, weren’t we supposed to hear about some announcement about Dodge returning? There was a poster or two adamant it was happening

Since we are in Speedweeks now, weren’t we supposed to hear about some announcement about Dodge returning? There was a poster or two adamant it was happening
Maybe, I'd give it another 12 days at most.... both Penske and Stewart-Haas announced that they're going to Ford the day after the Daytona 500

From the bits and pieces I've been told, Dodge was undecided about what model to run. They are waiting until Ford announces what model they will bring in 2019. Assuming it's the Mustang, Dodge will run the Challenger. The Challenger and Charger will see a complete redesign in 2020 for the 2021 model year, so it's a safe bet that they will return in 2020 with the new Challenger in Cup and Xfinity, and the new Ram in Trucks. They're missing a big opportunity by not having the Ram in the Truck series a year or two before the Cup return, in my opinion. Give a chance to make connections and prove the updated engine.

lol gotta wait for everyone to get to the track before any annoucemnts take place :D

He did not perform well at FRM.

Someone will pick him up, but he got demolished by Regan last year.
Why do you think that someone will pick him up?
Not entirely sure what you mean by Regan demolishing him last year.
Regan - 30th place in points
Cassill - 31st place in points

BTW, I do hope that he gets picked up as I enjoyed following him and I think that he has great upside.

Why do you think that someone will pick him up?
Not entirely sure what you mean by Regan demolishing him last year.
Regan - 30th place in points
Cassill - 31st place in points

BTW, I do hope that he gets picked up as I enjoyed following him and I think that he has great upside.

All the times Regan would be getting air time in the top 15 and being there on pace. Ragan really outclassed Cassill with no issue last year.

Landon is a good guy from what I've seen on Twitter, but there are so many more talented drivers who are hungrier and 10 years younger than him who deserve their first chance before Landon gets his 3rd? 4th?

PTG will join Click n' Close, STP and the U.S. Air Force as sponsors of the No. 43 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and of Wallace as he competes for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Sunoco Rookie of The Year in 2018.

Rumor on Reddit is that Jimmie Johns will be leaving SHR when their contract expires at end of the season.

Oh please..wasn't there one just like this a couple weeks ago about NAPA and NAPA extended their sponsorship?

So, someone over there headed over to Jayski, looked at the team chart and seen that Jimmie Johns is signed through this year and then made post saying they will be leaving at the end of 2018?

Back
Top Bottom