SILLY SEASON 2018

Somewhere down the line, in order to support his ability to be a team owner once he's done driving, since other long-time Cup owners have other business that sustain their racing operations. He did say lack of profitability was one of the driving factors for shuttering the Truck program.
I believe he hinted at wanting to be Cup team owner after he hangs up his helmet , but I could be wrong.

Ford had to do something in the trucks, either stay in the series or quit. I'm wondering when Keselowski was trying to get his contract with Ford they already had plans to do the switch. Compared to all of the Chevys and Toyotas, Ford really only had two competitive trucks.
The story that was relayed to me at the time was that NASCAR really put pressure on Ford to step up in Trucks (we joked that the conversation probably sounded like "if you ever want to see Penske and SHR get through Tech in Cup, you'll continue to compete at a high level in Trucks." We laughed because, honestly, we know there's probably some truth to that even if the consequences were only implied. Everyone knows what happens when you piss off NASCAR). The bottom line is that the health of the series requires diverse competitive manufacturers. Apparently this all didn't come together until recently. Toyota was informed at Chili Bowl. Believe it or not, Toyota is pretty happy about this (well happy might be the wrong word...they're "not upset" is more like it). Some reasons I won't get into, but they also recognize that having multiple competitive manufactures is healthy for the series.

Todd Gilliland is full time this year for KDB, his dad David is going to drive for him at Daytona, KDB is going to fill in at the big tracks until Todd turns 18

This is interesting
Austin Cindric to run Daytona Xfinity race for Roush Fenway Racing
Cindric, 19, is one of the three Ford drivers that comprise the Roush 60 Team that also includes Ty Majeski and Chase Briscoe. Mike Kelley, who won the 2011 and 2012 NXS title with Ricky Stenhouse Jr., will be the crew chief for the car.
I think it’s unique what Ford is doing with this program between Roush and Penske and everybody on the 60 car with the Ford program integrated and working together.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/nascar-austin-cindric-xfinity-roush-996851/

Richard Childress, at the NASCAR Hall of Fame induction ceremony, was coy about the team's third car for 2018. The team says it has no plans to field a car for Danica Patrick in the Daytona 500, and Childress said the No. 27 "won't run this year," but said you never know what numbers will.

i
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR

Richard Childress, at the NASCAR Hall of Fame induction ceremony, was coy about the team's third car for 2018. The team says it has no plans to field a car for Danica Patrick in the Daytona 500, and Childress said the No. 27 "won't run this year," but said you never know what numbers will.

i
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR

I'd like to see #30 return, if only because 3, 30, and 31 was the planned number scheme before Dale's death.

i
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR
I thought I read Jeffrey Earnhardt was going to run the 33 and RC/Jeffrey was just waiting for the ink on sponsorship contract to dry

I thought I read Jeffrey Earnhardt was going to run the 33 and RC/Jeffrey was just waiting for the ink on sponsorship contract to dry
Go Fas and Circle Sport (#33) have partnered up, with GoFas getting the charter , and Jeffrey was released from the #33 team in Oct, the rumor has him driving the #30 for TMG

so more Bk racing bad news "Union Bank & Trust, which field a lawsuit in North Carolina court in November claiming ownership of two NASCAR charters originally controlled by BK Racing (with one now controlled by Front Row Motorsports), has asked a federal court in Virginia for injunctive relief and to immediately appoint a receiver take over all the team's assets and property. The bank alleges BK Racing owes it more than $7 million in unpaid loans and fees, and already has had $210K worth of assets seized by the N.C. Department of Revenue for unpaid taxes. Classic Auctions, a North Carolina auction house, is advertising that it will auction off three BK Racing haulers and a passenger car. BK Racing also owes more than $1.59M to its engine supplier and more than $667K in federal tax liens, according to N.C. court records.

so more Bk racing bad news "Union Bank & Trust, which field a lawsuit in North Carolina court in November claiming ownership of two NASCAR charters originally controlled by BK Racing (with one now controlled by Front Row Motorsports), has asked a federal court in Virginia for injunctive relief and to immediately appoint a receiver take over all the team's assets and property. The bank alleges BK Racing owes it more than $7 million in unpaid loans and fees, and already has had $210K worth of assets seized by the N.C. Department of Revenue for unpaid taxes. Classic Auctions, a North Carolina auction house, is advertising that it will auction off three BK Racing haulers and a passenger car. BK Racing also owes more than $1.59M to its engine supplier and more than $667K in federal tax liens, according to N.C. court records.
That does not sound good , they in a hep of trouble

Seems to be more and more talk every week about Jeffrey Earnhardt to either RCR or an RCr affiliate ..Even his fb page is sharing articles about it

The story that was relayed to me at the time was that NASCAR really put pressure on Ford to step up in Trucks (we joked that the conversation probably sounded like "if you ever want to see Penske and SHR get through Tech in Cup, you'll continue to compete at a high level in Trucks." We laughed because, honestly, we know there's probably some truth to that even if the consequences were only implied. Everyone knows what happens when you piss off NASCAR). The bottom line is that the health of the series requires diverse competitive manufacturers. Apparently this all didn't come together until recently. Toyota was informed at Chili Bowl. Believe it or not, Toyota is pretty happy about this (well happy might be the wrong word...they're "not upset" is more like it). Some reasons I won't get into, but they also recognize that having multiple competitive manufactures is healthy for the series.

So is there going to be competitive Ford teams this year? Thorsport?

“ThorSport is a proven championship-level team in the series, and we look forward to providing them the aero and simulation technical support that will ensure they remain at the top level of the Truck Series.”
Am I overthinking things here...he explicitly mentions aero and sim work but nothing about engines. Would the one Ford-backed team run Ilmors over Roush-Yates engines? That doesn't sound right.

Am I overthinking things here...he explicitly mentions aero and sim work but nothing about engines. Would the one Ford-backed team run Ilmors over Roush-Yates engines? That doesn't sound right.

I'm almost positive they will run llmor engines

I wonder how loyal Brad K. feels toward Ford?
He chose to shut his team down, he left Ford with out a main team, so he would have no right to feel any thing ill towards them.

Unless there is something I am missing.

He chose to shut his team down, he left Ford with out a main team, so he would have no right to feel any thing ill towards them.

Unless there is something I am missing.
Yes..... how about Ford cut their support to his team which forced him to close and we don't know what else he lost when he also had to negotiate his contract with Penske.
Brad's team was the best competition to KBM.

Yes..... how about Ford cut their support to his team which forced him to close and we don't know what else he lost when he also had to negotiate his contract with Penske.

I dont recall hearing that Ford cut their support for his team, I dont follow the Series very closely anymore, I just read the part that he shut down because he was losing about 2mil per year.

Or maybe I did read/hear that I just forgot, who know's these days:idunno:

sure would like to see where Ford cut their support and forced him to close?

“There were a lot of decisions that went into it,” Keselowski told media in front of the No. 2 hauler. “There wasn’t really one reason, but certainly at some point every business needs to have some profitability, but I never went into it expecting to make money, so I can’t really blame that … Everybody is losing a little, but that was one of the factors. I wouldn’t say it was the only one.”

The biggest factor was his long-term plan: Keselowski elaborated on his earlier comments that indicated his decision was also affected by his eventual goal to own a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team, and that he intends to use the former Brad Keselowski Racing facility for that at some point.
“It’s a little bit of a counter-offensive with respect to if you look at all the business owners at this level – and really all three of these levels – they have a sustainable, profitable business outside of motorsports and that’s going to remain the key for any owner to have success because the reality is I can only be a race car driver for so long,” Keselowski said. “When that time comes up, my business would have had to shut down because I don’t have a profit center, and having that profit center is what helps you get through the ebbs and flows that every race team has, so I need to have one of those profit centers.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/18/brad-keselowski-truck-series-nascar-money/

Maybe I'm crazy, but I was under the distinct impression that if he had gotten more support from Ford, he might have been able to make a go of it. As for his comments, what on earth would you EXPECT him to say? In an era when veteran drivers don't have the kind of leverage they used to, sometimes you have to eat a little poo and pretend you enjoyed it.

All driver options but mostly Derrick Cope

From what I've been reading it sounds like if they can get a driver to pay for the ride they'll use him so we could see 30 different drivers in that car or whatever otherwise cope is driving it

sure would like to see where Ford cut their support and forced him to close?

“There were a lot of decisions that went into it,” Keselowski told media in front of the No. 2 hauler. “There wasn’t really one reason, but certainly at some point every business needs to have some profitability, but I never went into it expecting to make money, so I can’t really blame that … Everybody is losing a little, but that was one of the factors. I wouldn’t say it was the only one.”

The biggest factor was his long-term plan: Keselowski elaborated on his earlier comments that indicated his decision was also affected by his eventual goal to own a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team, and that he intends to use the former Brad Keselowski Racing facility for that at some point.
“It’s a little bit of a counter-offensive with respect to if you look at all the business owners at this level – and really all three of these levels – they have a sustainable, profitable business outside of motorsports and that’s going to remain the key for any owner to have success because the reality is I can only be a race car driver for so long,” Keselowski said. “When that time comes up, my business would have had to shut down because I don’t have a profit center, and having that profit center is what helps you get through the ebbs and flows that every race team has, so I need to have one of those profit centers.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/18/brad-keselowski-truck-series-nascar-money/

I wonder how many drivers sign up for the owners role in the x, or truck series, only to find out it's a hard row to hoe? Or a harder row than they anticipated. Harvick, I thought was doing pretty well fielding cars in the x series. He got out fairly quick. I'm guessing they have to get into their own pockets more often than they want to. Being veteran drivers, I would think they would be well versed on the trials and tribulations of ownership. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom