SILLY SEASON 2019

Just a sad fact that when you sell a race team, there isn't a lot of value there. Ask Ricky Rudd, ask Darrell Waltrip. Most of the value in a race team is usually things you can't just sell; driver's, crew people, and sponsors under contract, and team affiliations. How much is JGR worth if you take away the drivers, crew chiefs, engineers, sponsors and the TRD affiliation?

The charter system was supposed to fix that! But it doesn't appear charters are worth all that much. :eek:

The charter system was supposed to fix that! But it doesn't appear charters are worth all that much. :eek:

Anybody that truly thought the charter system would solve this problem probably still believes in Santa Claus too.

It's $2M more than BK would have had otherwise, plus last year's $2M.

Yes, but there were other items included, so the value of the charter was somewhat less than that. How much less is hard to know. The point being, compared to the amount Devine invested in the team, and the amount he owed the bank, it's chump change. The idea of the charters was supposedly to give value to the teams when the owners cashed out for whatever reason, but it's equivalent of a guy with a wife and two kids buying a $10,000 life insurance policy. It might be enough money to bury him, but it isn't going to pay the bills for his family. I contend the charter system was more about the "club" having more control over who enters and exits the sport and giving them a way to exert more power over the sport. In the stick and ball sports, the leagues and the franchise owners use those "charters" to keep out anyone they feel is unworthy or undesirable from joining their little club.

Looks like a third car for Front Row

Front Row Motorsports won the bidding for the BK Racing charter and assets with a bid of $2,080,000, it was announced at the start of the sale approval hearing in U.S. bankruptcy court this morning. The judge must approve the sale and that decision possibly might not come until Thursday.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41028584-4
why they aren't even good with 2 cars

Do you think KBM has something to announce soon @Allenbaba?
LOL no. KBM would have a hard time fielding a single car Xfinity team if you gave them several years to prepare for it.

As for the rest of this silly season, it has the potential to be NUTS. But, it also has the potential to be relatively tame. The first (and most important) domino will be the fate of the 78. If the 78 decides not to race next season, or even decides not to renew their contract with JGR (both decisions that need to happen in the next couple of weeks), then buckle your seat belts...

LOL no. KBM would have a hard time fielding a single car Xfinity team if you gave them several years to prepare for it.

As for the rest of this silly season, it has the potential to be NUTS. But, it also has the potential to be relatively tame. The first (and most important) domino will be the fate of the 78. If the 78 decides not to race next season, or even decides not to renew their contract with JGR (both decisions that need to happen in the next couple of weeks), then buckle your seat belts...

Could you tell us anything to the matter if Furniture Row doesn't re up with JGR and they stayed open what would they do?

Could you tell us anything to the matter if Furniture Row doesn't re up with JGR and they stayed open what would they do?
They would likely build their own chassis. It would be a work in progress, probably take at least a season or two to compete for wins. Barney knows it would be short term pain for long term gain. But, from what I've heard, Cole, MTJ, Jazzy et al wouldn't really want to be a part of that sort of "rebuild" so they'd leave as a group to just about any team they wanted to go to. First domino...

My Internet connection has been down this weekend. I'm not a bit surprised this one was put down like a rabid raccoon in less time than it's taking Windstream to get me back on line.

You poor soul. I had them for about a month and had to find something else. Just horrible horrible service.

You poor soul. I had them for about a month and had to find something else. Just horrible horrible service.
I haven't had many problems with them; maybe four over a dozen years. Three of them were due to modems, and two of those were toasted in thunderstorms.

I haven't had many problems with them; maybe four over a dozen years. Three of them were due to modems, and two of those were toasted in thunderstorms.

I was getting very very slow service from them, and the guy who installed it just hooked it up, left, didn't bother to see how good it worked or anything. A lot of people I talked to who had them had the same problems as well. Stopped me from gaming for awhile too. :(

I absolutely expect GMS to be a player at the Cup level within the next few years... but I surely never contemplated them teaming up with Furniture Row... much less actually buying out Furniture Row.

Selfishly, I hope Nascar continues to have *both* Barney Visser and Maury Gallagher as savvy, ambitious team owners.

Makes you wonder which way they would go with manufacturers... Unless GMS went Toyota, that would seem to indicate a type of rebuilding effort (with Chevy's troubles) that Truex supposedly doesn't want .

@Allenbaba Any word on Jimmie Johnson & Chad Knaus plans for 2019? Any word on replacing LOWES as the primary sponsor?

Makes you wonder which way they would go with manufacturers... Unless GMS went Toyota, that would seem to indicate a type of rebuilding effort (with Chevy's troubles) that Truex supposedly doesn't want .

Sounds like per stern.... possibly what would happen is next year Furniture Row would still exist and Allegiant would be a sponsor on the car and then in 2020 GMS would take over as ownership and continue the relationship with Toyota.

All I know is GMS is looking hard at cup, already made an offer for cup team assets, so it doesn't surprise me that the 78 bunch have been talked to or any other team/manufacturer for that matter. They do the racing business really well, have unseated KDB/Toyota's truck teams as the one who will beat ya, and they got to that point really quickly. I'm excited if/when they come to cup

All I know is GMS is looking hard at cup, already made an offer for cup team assets, so it doesn't surprise me that the 78 bunch have been talked to or any other team/manufacturer for that matter. They do the racing business really well, have unseated KDB/Toyota's truck teams as the one who will beat ya, and they got to that point really quickly. I'm excited if/when they come to cup

They were also outbid for that team at 2 million

Front Row is now a three car team(again) and won the bid for the BK assets including the Charter .
they came out of the deal with 4 charters now, they had three. they should get some of their money back leasing a charter

they came out of the deal with 4 charters now, they had three. they should get some of their money back leasing a charter
Oh they already had three?, I dont recall, is the third one a lease ?

"President Joe Garone told RacinBoys.com that Furniture Row Racing’s top priority is to fill the sponsorship void created by 5-hour Energy’s departure at season’s end."

It's seems like an extra tough sell because Visser is indicating that his sponsorship of his own team isn't paying off in boosted sales to justify the investment.

Back
Top Bottom