SILLY SEASON 2019

Still a no show in Bayne/Kenseth...lol.

There were some reports last month that kenseth was testing parts for future use in the #17. Parker Kliggerman reported that. That could be part of the reason for the lack of production. I still feel relatively confident that Matt can out drive Bayne. Matt recently said he thought they were starting to make some strides .. was hoping for some top 10 performances down the stretch, but wasn't sure they would get there yet this year .

The results have been almost the same. If Kenseth is the better driver then he should be able to take same equipment and produce better results. Doing that is what get's younger drivers noticed and rides.

The results have been almost the same. If Kenseth is the better driver then he should be able to take same equipment and produce better results. Doing that is what get's younger drivers noticed and rides.
. Not if the car sucks. The days are long gone when a good driver could carry a bad car. Do you think it was coincedence that for much of the season you could throw a blanket over all four Hendrick drivers? Do you think William Byron and Jimmie Johnson are equals in the talent department?

There were some reports last month that kenseth was testing parts for future use in the #17. Parker Kliggerman reported that. That could be part of the reason for the lack of production. I still feel relatively confident that Matt can out drive Bayne. Matt recently said he thought they were starting to make some strides .. was hoping for some top 10 performances down the stretch, but wasn't sure they would get there yet this year .

Yeah I read that. He doesn't sound disgruntled like people think. He sounds realistic and maybe in it for the long haul. God...I wonder what Cole Pearn could do with those cars!!! Or more realistic....Ratcliff!!!

Gone are the days of a driver carrying a car.
I'm not buying that. I see and hear in-car audio of drivers pedaling the gas of these low downforce cars forever off corners, fighting to get back to full throttle. I see them spinning out, or sliding up out of the groove with great frequency. I'll take Harvick, you take Bowyer. I'll take Larson, you take McMurray.

Granted, the margins are thinner than back in prior decades. A top driver can't carry a dog slow car all the way to victory lane, but he can carry it 5 or 10 or 15 spots higher than an average driver, IMO.

https://twitter.com/nascar19fan2015

I'm scrolling through their tweets right now. So far, it looks like he/she just retweets/regurgitates whatever rumors are flying around. Notably, I saw a few retweets regarding the recent "KBM to Cup!" rumor.

When I get back farther in their timeline (they are quite active so that will take some scrolling!) maybe I'll be able to see if they made any predictions that came true. ;)

Oh, this person also appears to be a big Carl Edwards fan...lots of tweets/retweets that somehow concern Carl. And the last few days, not a few years ago when Carl was still racing.
Thanks. I appreciate you dong the digging and taking one for the team.

You're thinking short-term. Long term is that the other team isn't a competitor for the same sponsorship money, isn't a competitor for Toyota money/information, isn't a competitor for a driver causing the salary to go up in a bidding war, etc because they are either off the board completely or they have been handicapped to a 2nd or lower level team.
Yeah, but there's nothing to guarantee those sponsors will come to JGR, either directly or with Truex bringing them. That sounds more short-sighted to me, but I'm not in the bidness.

neither Jones or Suarez combined has come close to matching Kenseth's record at Gibbs. He ain't winning.
Neither Jones nor Suarez have Kenseth's experience either. The last time the team dealt with a rookie was Logano, and we all know how well that turned out. Hamlin did well, but it may be the team just good at bring young drivers into Cup.

He's got a guy in the 18 car that's winning this year, and WAS GIVEN a championship in 2015. What year was Kenseth's championship again? BTW, smart phones were introduced after Kenseth won his last championship. The other two guys are new and cost a lot less.
Kenseth's championship was back in the day when the champion was crowned for the best
year long performance. The cut off for that now is after 26 races. :D

:fixed:

I'm not buying that. I see and hear in-car audio of drivers pedaling the gas of these low downforce cars forever off corners, fighting to get back to full throttle. I see them spinning out, or sliding up out of the groove with great frequency. I'll take Harvick, you take Bowyer. I'll take Larson, you take McMurray.

Granted, the margins are thinner than back in prior decades. A top driver can't carry a dog slow car all the way to victory lane, but he can carry it 5 or 10 or 15 spots higher than an average driver, IMO.

I have a hard time seeing why Matt Kenseth can't at least put up the results Ricky has. Or maybe Stenhouse is better than we thought.

If I lived in town, I'd probably have a little electric car for running errands.
And here in Texas, particularly out West, unless they could get the mileage up to hundreds at highway speed, just not practical.
I don't believe they've developed one yet to pull the beast with. :confused:

I have a hard time seeing why Matt Kenseth can't at least put up the results Ricky has. Or maybe Stenhouse is better than we thought.

That's the thing Man, Ricky is better than people credit him for. He does carry that car a lot!! Ask Kyle Larson how good Ricky is. Someone mark my words if Ricky was in top equipment he would be a regular winner.

Why is the 78 car/truex might not be running next year?? I’m so confused . He just won a championship and runs good every year.. why wouldn’t they have enough money next year or sponsorship ?

Why is the 78 car/truex might not be running next year?? I’m so confused . He just won a championship and runs good every year.. why wouldn’t they have enough money next year or sponsorship ?
Here's the broad summary: 5hr left. They spent close to $10m. JGR raised their asking price by a ton. FRR has not yet found enough new money. They've had very little time. There are real deadlines the team has to meet (like, now). Barney (as of today) is unwilling (personally) & unable (as far as Furniture Row marketing dollars) to backstop any financial shortfall, therefor he is unwilling to sign & commit to anything that must be committed to in order to run next season. He only wants to race if he can win, so it's hard for him to go backwards at this point in his life after all this recent success by fielding a team without the means (lack of budget and likely lack of talent...Cole, etc, who he won't be able to pay what they can get elsewhere) to run in the top 10 each week, much less win. As of today, Barney doesn't feel like "rebuilding" like most professional sports teams do when they start losing and dump/trade the high priced stars.

Sadly, if they close, the headlines will read "Last year's championship team unable to compete any longer in sponsor dry NASCAR" But it should read "Last year's championship team chooses not to stay in the sport and rebuild back into a power house." The headline most in the know would love to see would read "JGR makes it impossible for FRR to compete at the same high level" but whatever. If they shut down, we'll get stuck with the "NASCAR is dead" narratives.

Look...the truth is, all of this might change tomorrow. Barney has been known to change his mind more times than a girl shopping for her prom dress. Right now he's sticking to the "we can't afford to race at the level we need to be at" stance. Hopefully he'll reconsider. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Here's the broad summary: 5hr left. They spent close to $10m. JGR raised their asking price by a ton. FRR has not yet found enough new money. They've had very little time. There are real deadlines the team has to meet (like, now). Barney (as of today) is unwilling (personally) & unable (as far as Furniture Row marketing dollars) to backstop any financial shortfall, therefor he is unwilling to sign & commit to anything that must be committed to in order to run next season. He only wants to race if he can win, so it's hard for him to go backwards at this point in his life after all this recent success by fielding a team without the means (lack of budget and likely lack of talent...Cole, etc, who he won't be able to pay what they can get elsewhere) to run in the top 10 each week, much less win. As of today, Barney doesn't feel like "rebuilding" like most professional sports teams do when they start losing and dump/trade the high priced stars.

Sadly, if they close, the headlines will read "Last year's championship team unable to compete any longer in sponsor dry NASCAR" But it should read "Last year's championship team chooses not to stay in the sport and rebuild back into a power house." The headline most in the know would love to see would read "JGR makes it impossible for FRR to compete at the same high level" but whatever. If they shut down, we'll get stuck with the "NASCAR is dead" narratives.

Look...the truth is, all of this might change tomorrow. Barney has been known to change his mind more times than a girl shopping for her prom dress. Right now he's sticking to the "we can't afford to race at the level we need to be at" stance. Hopefully he'll reconsider. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But at some point doesn’t Truex have to make a move. How much more time do you think he can give Barney? @Allenbaba

What interests me is if he DOES leave, what are the odds of the remaining 78 car sponsorship going with him? I would think if he went to the 41, somebody would have to replace the Monster money that seems tied to Kurt. If he went to the 19 (that would be the ultimate backstab to Barney Visser) I would suspect he would have to replace the Arris money. As many teams that would like to have him, especially if he comes with Cole, It gets complicated really quick when you have to figure out who's going to pay the bills.

The Preacher is cutthroat......take out your support team that’s been beating your brains in by raising your asking price therefore putting them out of business and then potentially sign that driver/CC combo. What a weasel.

What interests me is if he DOES leave, what are the odds of the remaining 78 car sponsorship going with him? I would think if he went to the 41, somebody would have to replace the Monster money that seems tied to Kurt. If he went to the 19 (that would be the ultimate backstab to Barney Visser) I would suspect he would have to replace the Arris money. As many teams that would like to have him, especially if he comes with Cole, It gets complicated really quick when you have to figure out who's going to pay the bills.
More people want Cole (and his people) than MTJ. But MTJ does come with Bass Pro. But when you put all of them together (MTJ, Cole, Bass Pro) as a package, they can pretty much do whatever they want with whatever team they want.

As far as people saying they'd be "backstabbing Barney" by going to JGR, that's just not true. It's all business. If Barney wants them, he'll keep them. If not, they can (and should) go wherever they want to go.

More people want Cole (and his people) than MTJ. But MTJ does come with Bass Pro. But when you put all of them together (MTJ, Cole, Bass Pro) as a package, they can pretty much do whatever they want with whatever team they want.

As far as people saying they'd be "backstabbing Barney" by going to JGR, that's just not true. It's all business. If Barney wants them, he'll keep them. If not, they can (and should) go wherever they want to go.
I’m really surprised Chevy with HMS, CGR or RCR isn’t doing anything to sign that FRR at least from what you have reported so far

Last edited:
Everyone has been exploring their options.

Is Jamie McMurray done/retired, or on another team, or still with CGR? It seems like they aren't even close to the 42 team right now which makes me believe they have cut the #1 team out of meetings. Usually the 42 and 1 are within 10 spots of each other but it seems the 1 team is just not keeping pace anywhere. Maybe i'm reading into things too much.
Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide.

3715858.jpg

In some ways a guy kinda wonders how much FRR was withholding information from JGR in the alliance and that caused the increase in price as well. It seems its a lot like easier to refine things if someone has already pointed you in a direction (JGR in this case). I guess the true test would be to see if FRR racing does close up shop how the JGR performance would be next year.

It was pretty clear when SHR left HMS that SHR was helping HMS a whole lot more than they were willing to admit because they haven't done a whole lot since SHR made the jump to Ford

Great, now I'm picturing Barney in a prom dress :rolleyes:

OK, but we've been told that the remaining sponsorship isn't enough to run that team at that level, so wherever they would go, somebody would have to make up the shortfall, right?

I don't know about you, but if the narrative we're getting is true, I would have an awful hard time going to work for the guy that played a major role in putting my extremely successful team out of business. Also If I were Barney Visser, I would look at that as a total dick move, to quote the movie. If I understand the situation correctly, it's not a matter of not wanting these guys. Also, a couple of posters have
suggested that Chevy is NOT pursuing FRR. Do we know that, or is that just speculation?

It is sad to see Joe Gibbs strongarm a team and make our sport look bad.

While I'd like to agree with you and from the outside that's what it looks like, but unless we know the whole story its hard to say. Did Toyota or another sponsor cut some funding from JGR and in order to provide the same level of support to FRR as in the past they need to make up a shortfall? Was the sharing of data just one way? Is this alliance more a drain on JGR resources than what its worth and is having a negative effect at JGR? Is JGR sick of training people that end up over at FRR?

While I'm definitely no fan of JGR it seems like there's a lot of moving parts here than them just wanting to push out the competition

I’m really surprised Chevy with HMS, CGR or RCR isn’t doing anything to sign that FRR at least from what you have reported so far
Amen. Could you imagine if Hendrick could get Cole Pearn in house? It would do wonders in so far as filling the void left when they lost Rex...

Edit: I’m saying get him in as head of competition instead of crew chief. Pay him whatever he wants to design your cars.

Back
Top Bottom