SILLY SEASON 2019

Biggreen695

Team Owner
Getting to be a pain to try to keep up with the old thread, so I figured I’d go ahead and start the new one.

So far we have -

Furniture row trying to get the 77 back on track, Christopher Bell the likely candidate at this time.

Jimmy Johnson needing full time sponsorship

Kurt Busch potentially out of the 41

What else am I missing?

Haven’t seen him post in a long tome, but, @Allenbaba any input? Surprised to expect for next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seems like Bayne will be out of the 6

6 -Kenseth
JRM Xfinity- Bayne

77- Bell or if funded is not found 2020 for Sure! He is way too good to not get to cup by then.

Custer spends one more year in Xfinity cup in 2020

Rcr
HMS
Ganassi
Jgr
Penske
Woods
SHR
JTG
Germain
LFR
Frm
Petty
All no changes last year was nuts and I think 2020 will be nuts again

Newman
McMurray
Kurt
Going

Custer
Bell
Hemric
Coming

Forgive me but I don’t think I ever ever seen a dirt road course in my life, do they even exist?

Forgive me but I don’t think I ever ever seen a dirt road course in my life, do they even exist?
According to the comments when NASCAR ran this race in 1956 the track wasn't technically paved, http://racing-reference.info/race/1956-03/W and maybe the Daytona Beach course depending on what you want to call a road course, other then that I'd think any dirt road course is a rallycross or trophy truck track

Penske moved Blaney and crew in house to the 12 and Menard to the 21.
That is a change NO?

We are talking about "silly season 2019"

Like @Michfan said I was talking about last year as in last year was nuts there was a ton of changes. I.e. Blaney to the 12.

I have nothing to base this off of but I could see Newman retiring.

Newman still has a lot if life left in him, I can't see him leaving RCR right now. He's still better than Austin and Ty, also his input is far too valuable to lose atm. Or do you see Hemric moving up? If South Point is behind Hemric, then I could see it happening.

Newman still has a lot if life left in him, I can't see him leaving RCR right now. He's still better than Austin and Ty, also his input is far too valuable to lose atm. Or do you see Hemric moving up? If South Point is behind Hemric, then I could see it happening.

Talent means nothing. Newman will be there as long as he has sponsorship dollars behind him. Look at Menard at RCR, how long did he stay with lackluster results?

I don't see South Point throwing down that kinda money for a cup ride for Hemric if they wouldn't do it for family (maybe a select few races)

Drivers I would not be surprised if they get shuffled around next year:

-Johnson (retirement)
-Kurt Busch (retirement)
-Bayne (pretty easy to see, might be more the car's fault but you can either get someone more experienced to work out the problems or start out anew)
-Kahne (Hendrick no longer paying the salary -> possible retirement)
-McMurray (I just wouldn't be surprised, comparing his performance to Larson's, and it would be a pretty Chip Ganassi move)
-Ragan (never understood how he has a full-time ride, unlike Casey Mears it's not even a famous last name excuse)
-Suarez (there's 24 cars on the grid more or less that are capable of being contenders for wins, and out of those he's 20th, he's close to the point being young and gaining experience can't be the excuse, I think he'll make it to year 3 but the results better improve in year 3 unless the money's on him and not the car)
-Ty Dillon (okay, granted he's driving for Germain, they stood pat with Casey Mears for years, and he's Childress' grandson, but the only full-time driver he's ahead of in points is Matt DiBenedetto in a car with far less available resources, at what point does Richard ask if there's anything there? he probably fits in the Suarez category of I think he'll get a year 3)

-Johnson (retirement)
-Kurt Busch (retirement)
-Bayne (pretty easy to see, might be more the car's fault but you can either get someone more experienced to work out the problems or start out anew)
-McMurray (I just wouldn't be surprised, comparing his performance to Larson's, and it would be a pretty Chip Ganassi move)
-Ragan (never understood how he has a full-time ride, unlike Casey Mears it's not even a famous last name excuse)
-Suarez (there's 24 cars on the grid more or less that are capable of being contenders for wins, and out of those he's 20th, he's close to the point being young and gaining experience can't be the excuse, I think he'll make it to year 3 but the results better improve in year 3 unless the money's on him and not the car)
-Ty Dillon (okay, granted he's driving for Germain, they stood pat with Casey Mears for years, and he's Childress' grandson, but the only full-time driver he's ahead of in points is Matt DiBenedetto in a car with far less available resources, at what point does Richard ask if there's anything there? he probably fits in the Suarez category of I think he'll get a year 3)

JJ/Kurt Busch - I think they will both be back for another year. I think Chad moves on from Jimmy because I think they both want to see if they can succeed with a different driver/crew chief/team.

Bayne - It makes sense for Bayne to move on no matter what. They moved on from him even though it sounds like he was right about the problems they are having. I hope he finds another team that he can help improve and I somewhat hope Kennseth sticks up for him a little bit.

Kahne - I don't think Kahne goes anywhere. I think he likes it there and might take a discounted salary to be there for another year or two, but that only lasts so long.
McMurray - I wouldn't be surprised if McMurray retires also, but I think Chip likes him and will keep him on the payroll somehow. Maybe over in IMSA.
David Ragan still has 2 wins even though they are at restrictor plate races. I think his salary being low enough keeps him employed.
Suarez - I think Suarez has money behind him and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Dillon - Same thing for Ty Dillon. I don't think he is getting the RCR equipment at Germain but his results certainly don't show anything so far. They will give him another two three years before they start pulling the plug there.

What about DiBenedetto? Is he finally going to get a real ride opportunity?
How about Buescher, Allmendinger, and Wallace? How much time do those guys have left?
I hope all four get to stick around, but there seems to be a lot of talent on the rise.

-Johnson (retirement)
-Kurt Busch (retirement)
Johnson is signed through 2020 , I dont see him breaking his contract this early, I see JJ finishing his current contract, he has given no indication that is ready to retire, he said not too long a go that he expects to be racing for a few more years if I recall. Doenst mean he cant work something out with HMS to make 2019 his last year.

Kurt, I see him returning , all indications are that he will be back right now, but beyond 2019, I would not be surprised if 2019 is his last at SHR , but I see him being around for about the same amount of time that JJ is within a year give or take.
Bayne, dont ever care to be honest.
Kahne, I see him being back, he and the 95 team are having a something decent year so far, I could almost see him finishing out is career at LFR
Mcflurry , yeah, I dont know, it could goeither way and neither would be surprising.
Suarez, Drive For Diversity, he aint going anywhere for a while, if I am not mistaken, Arris and him are somewhat a package deal, he has a ton of talent ,but some crappy luck at the same time, he had some good runs this year go bad all thanks to racing bad luck.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kurt retire.

His house was up for sale. Realtor.com says it is off the market. No idea if he sold it. I think he should either retire or run Indy Car. I'll miss him when he leaves the sport.

His house was up for sale. Realtor.com says it is off the market. No idea if he sold it. I think he should either retire or run Indy Car. I'll miss him when he leaves the sport.
Its amusing that a driver selling his house is an indication of retirement:laugh:, maybe him and his new SO wanted to get house for them, I know, its a crazy concept, it could mean a lot of things really.

Carry on.

Its amusing that a driver selling his house is an indication of retirement:laugh:, maybe him and his new SO wanted to get house for them, I know, its a crazy concept, it could mean a lot of things really.

Carry on.

It could mean a lot of things or it could mean the way SHR treated him at the end of last year was an indicator of what would happen at the end of this year. Kurt's and Bowyer's teams aren't fully funded, and it is rumored that Harvick is gonna have Jimmy Johns say "bye, bye". Getting rid of a huge house on the lake is a nice way to relieve yourself of a monster house payment when your income has shrunk. As your belittling post points out, maybe she isn't in love with the lake house. He isn't from there, and neither is she. Oh and if he ain't driving then why live in the Charlotte area? Not a lot tying them to the (cough, cough) major metropolitan area of Charlotte.:D

Carry on :rolleyes:

I think you’ll see Jeb burton in a JRM car before Bayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If RCR moved Hemric up to replace Newman I could see them putting Jeb in that car, though more likely split it with Shane Lee.

JJ/Kurt Busch - I think they will both be back for another year. I think Chad moves on from Jimmy because I think they both want to see if they can succeed with a different driver/crew chief/team.

Bayne - It makes sense for Bayne to move on no matter what. They moved on from him even though it sounds like he was right about the problems they are having. I hope he finds another team that he can help improve and I somewhat hope Kennseth sticks up for him a little bit.

Kahne - I don't think Kahne goes anywhere. I think he likes it there and might take a discounted salary to be there for another year or two, but that only lasts so long.
McMurray - I wouldn't be surprised if McMurray retires also, but I think Chip likes him and will keep him on the payroll somehow. Maybe over in IMSA.
David Ragan still has 2 wins even though they are at restrictor plate races. I think his salary being low enough keeps him employed.
Suarez - I think Suarez has money behind him and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Dillon - Same thing for Ty Dillon. I don't think he is getting the RCR equipment at Germain but his results certainly don't show anything so far. They will give him another two three years before they start pulling the plug there.

What about DiBenedetto? Is he finally going to get a real ride opportunity?
How about Buescher, Allmendinger, and Wallace? How much time do those guys have left?
I hope all four get to stick around, but there seems to be a lot of talent on the rise.

I hope DiBenedetto gets to move up. I was more focusing on drivers leaving or going down since that's how the openings get created. Wallace will stay at Petty unless he has a mountain of sponsorship cash behind him that gets him a ride higher up in the field - plausible, although I think such a situation occurring would be disastrous for the Petty team.

Buescher may have opportunities, may not. Allmendinger I think has gone about as high as he's going to go in his career. There's more promising options out there with higher upsides than him.

I agree that if he does stay around, Johnson and Knaus split. Everything there just seems stale. The pit penalty the 48 experienced and Knaus' comment on the radio I thought was pretty embarassing for Knaus that's considered the sneaky master of everything.

"Suarez - I think Suarez has money behind him and isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

Someday we'll get the truth on why Edwards retired when he did. Haha.

Last edited:
The pit penalty the 48 experienced and Knaus' comment on the radio I thought was pretty embarassing for Knaus that's considered the sneaky master of everything.

I think the pit penalty is a result of having slow cars. When you have slow cars you tend pour everything into trying to make speed and start overlooking things like that. When you have fast cars you look in other areas to gain an advantage

I think the pit penalty is a result of having slow cars. When you have slow cars you tend pour everything into trying to make speed and start overlooking things like that. When you have fast cars you look in other areas to gain an advantage

Or more simply when the car is fast, you can overcome those mistakes. When the car is slow those mistakes can ruin your race and become magnified, like in that instance.

I just don't know how much longer he wants to run for them. They haven't been legitimately good for years and he'll be 41 when next season rolls around. If he were still with SHR, I could see him staying, but I don't think there's really much left to accomplish with RCR unless he really enjoys the mentor role.

I'll be glad to see him run the Truck race at Eldora next week.

There was nothing about that stop having anything to do with speed. I think there are problems at HMS and Rick isn't on top of it. I am referring to the shop itself and then at the track.

Other than weathermen, how many people can keep their jobs being wrong many times? I have noticed a lot of mistakes these last 2 yrs because people don't know the rules or can't recall them as quick as required. That includes drivers as well.
A gas man following the car as it leaves WAS a common occurrence. Not allowed this year so whose fault was that penalty?? I blame the pit crew coach for not making the changes needed with today's 5 man crew? Jack man has to be cleared by BOTH tire changers AND the gasman. Personally I think the Crew Chief has to be the one to clear the driver to take off.

Other than weathermen, how many people can keep their jobs being wrong many times?
Politicians?
Personally I think the Crew Chief has to be the one to clear the driver to take off.
Agreed, but isn't he watching to see if there are other cars approaching on pit road that may cause problems when the driver exits? Or does the spotter do that?

Politicians?

Agreed, but isn't he watching to see if there are other cars approaching on pit road that may cause problems when the driver exits? Or does the spotter do that?
Not really sure Rev. I would think once the driver has been counted down to his pit spot everything else is the Crew Chief's responsibility.
This switch to a 5 man crew has really given some teams a real headache. Is the $60,000 - $80,000 savings worth it? :rolleyes:

Johnson's penalty was because the fuel man just stood there and continued fueling the car when the jack dropped and didn't remove it while it drug him along. In this case it doesn't matter how many or how few crewman there were.

I wonder if Briscoe comes up if Kurt retires or doesn't sign an extension

For SHR I'd imagine its Custer coming, Cindric end up at Penske and Briscoe probably Roush Fenway.

Back
Top Bottom