SILLY SEASON 2019

I'm voting for Jamie McMurray, Matt Dibenedetto, or Michael McDowell for the 6 car next year. I would call it a rumor but I have nothing to go on, and I am just a fan of those guys. Wouldn't be the first time Jamie McMurray went off to race for Roush! haha.

I'm making an educated guess that Dibenedetto leaving his current ride means he already has something he considers better lined up. What that might be, I don't know. He's another guy that I would like to see get at least SOME seat time in a quality car so we can determine once and for all how good he actually is.

I think it would make a certain amount of sense for Lowes to maintain SOME sort of presence on the 48 car at least until Jimmie retires to see the thing through start to finish and to ensure that going forward the 7 (or more) time champion would ALWAYS be associated with Lowes. That's something that would pay a certain amount of dividends long after the fact..
Sure. I went and bought something specifically at Lowe's last week JUST BECAUSE they sponsor Jimmie Johnson.

Well, no, not really.

In Fort Wayne we have three Lowes, one Home Depot (had two, one closed) and three Menards. As much as I hate to admit it, Menards makes the other two look like the local hardware store. I would estimate the Menards closest to me does easily four time the business of the closest Lowes. Despite my desire to support Lowes, (and I DO buy some stuff there) the price and selection at Menards is just too good to pass up, and now John Menard is teaming up with Tom Kelley (former owner of Kelley Racing IRL team) to build a huge new auto mall next to my Menards store AND increase the size of the already very large Menards. Home Depot is my LEAST favorite, but they do carry some brands I can't can't get at the other two, like Milwaukee power tools and Andersen Windows.

Sure. I went and bought something specifically at Lowe's last week JUST BECAUSE they sponsor Jimmie Johnson.

Well, no, not really.

The major point of most sponsorships is that "Hey, I wasn't even thinking about Lowes, they might have what I need", not "I'm going to shop there "because they sponsor this person", although that tactic has actually been pretty successful over the years with NASCAR fans.

My point was that especially if Lowes stays with Jimmie through the end of his career, Lowes will still be getting name recognition value EVERY time a JJ highlight is shown on TV, every photograph of him, old Johnson cars in various museums and such. Look at all the free advertisement STP gets from being associated with Richard Petty, (to the point they STILL have some sponsorship with him almost FIFTY years later) GM from Earnhardt, Dupont/Axalta get from Gordon, even though none of them are still racing, and only one is still involved as a regular major sponsor. I think there is value in Lowes maintaining SOME sort of connection with Johnson, even if it's a fraction of what they have paid in the past.

In Fort Wayne we have three Lowes, one Home Depot (had two, one closed) and three Menards. As much as I hate to admit it, Menards makes the other two look like the local hardware store. I would estimate the Menards closest to me does easily four time the business of the closest Lowes. Despite my desire to support Lowes, (and I DO buy some stuff there) the price and selection at Menards is just too good to pass up, and now John Menard is teaming up with Tom Kelley (former owner of Kelley Racing IRL team) to build a huge new auto mall next to my Menards store AND increase the size of the already very large Menards. Home Depot is my LEAST favorite, but they do carry some brands I can't can't get at the other two, like Milwaukee power tools and Andersen Windows.
Wish we had Menards here in Kanuckistan. Alas, we don't.

I go to Lowes most of the time just because it's closest.

The major point of most sponsorships is that "Hey, I wasn't even thinking about Lowes, they might have what I need", not "I'm going to shop there "because they sponsor this person", although that tactic has actually been pretty successful over the years with NASCAR fans.

My point was that especially if Lowes stays with Jimmie through the end of his career, Lowes will still be getting name recognition value EVERY time a JJ highlight is shown on TV, every photograph of him, old Johnson cars in various museums and such. Look at all the free advertisement STP gets from being associated with Richard Petty, (to the point they STILL have some sponsorship with him almost FIFTY years later) GM from Earnhardt, Dupont/Axalta get from Gordon, even though none of them are still racing, and only one is still involved as a regular major sponsor. I think there is value in Lowes maintaining SOME sort of connection with Johnson, even if it's a fraction of what they have paid in the past.
I can't disagree with that.

Bob Pockrass Verified account@bobpockrass 2h2 hours ago

Ryan Newman won't return to Richard Childress Racing after the 2018 season, ending a five-year run driving the No. 31 car.

See if this works.

Ryan Newman‏Verified account @RyanJNewman 2h2 hours ago

DnKYCR3XgAYAzBq.jpg

Completely pulling this out of my ass but maybe Newman is a candidate for the 41? him thanking Chevy indicates he wont be in a Chevy next year, and he's at the "1 year stopgap for Custer maybe" age

Then again maybe he'll just be in the 6

Either way I am 90% certain he will be in a Ford next year. Start and end his career in a Ford maybe. Ofcourse that's what I thought Kurt would do. Lol

Classy statement by Newman, he sounds confident about the future. I would rate his optimism level at 41 / '19. I guess we'll see.

I wonder who will land in Newman's seat next year at Dillon Brothers Racing.

I thought that too but he already had a stint there not too long ago, correct? In the 4?

Was just a matter of time for the Dillon boys to be racing for pop pop or whatever the stupid name they have for that POS owner. He’ll be running with Jack pretty soon....

Completely pulling this out of my ass but maybe Newman is a candidate for the 41? him thanking Chevy indicates he wont be in a Chevy next year, and he's at the "1 year stopgap for Custer maybe" age

Then again maybe he'll just be in the 6

I think maybe he's just thanking everyone. He did also thank Coke, and I don't see a reason he'd have to leave the Coca-Cola Racing Family if he went to SHR. Unless there is something I'm forgetting.

Classy statement by Newman, he sounds confident about the future. I would rate his optimism level at 41 / '19. I guess we'll see.

I wonder who will land in Newman's seat next year at Dillon Brothers Racing.
I think RCR has to move Hemeric up or lose him.

Newman to the 6, Hemric to the 31, Busch to the 1, Suarez to the 95 then? Maybe Kenseth or Allgaier to the 41 for a season?

Marvin Ellison HAS never worked for Dollar general..he was with jc penny,home depot and target
I have no idea what you are talking about, I never said that name in my post, and I am not seeing that name in the text that I copy/paseted. I think its possible you missed this,

Former @DollarGeneral CEO Rick Dreiling was named @Lowes chairman in July.

That is in the link I provided.

I did make one mistake, I said CEO when I should of said Chairman.

Kahne to Indy 500? That's of course if he is healthy to do it.

Shorter schedule, shorter races, engine behind you, open ****pit = less exposure to heat.

I'm NOT aware of any discussions regarding Kasey and an IRL ride, either as a one-off or for a season. I'm just pointing a minor advantage.

I don't see anything in Newman's announcement that would be interpreted as optimism that he has a ride secured for next year. His statement sounds to me about like what Matt Kenseth said last year when he went public with his impending departure from Gibbs.

Here is what Newman said: "I'm not ready to announce my future plans at this time, but it is my full intention to compete in the NASCAR Cup Series full time in 2019 and beyond. We are currently working through the options for next season and hopefully we will be able to announce those plans in the very near future." :idunno:

When you use the word "Options" instead of "negotiations" it really isn't all that positive.
Having said that, the #47 may be an option or as someone already mentioned the #6.

Shorter schedule, shorter races, engine behind you, open ****pit = less exposure to heat.

I'm NOT aware of any discussions regarding Kasey and an IRL ride, either as a one-off or for a season. I'm just pointing a minor advantage.
I'm just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks :D it is silly season after all. I mean I total made up the Kasey to the 41 rumors and they turned out to be kinda true.

Not to mention most people don't know Kasey ran formula Atlantic I think it was before he came to NASCAR.

I'm just throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks :D it is silly season after all. I mean I total made up the Kasey to the 41 rumors and they turned out to be kinda true.

Not to mention most people don't know Kasey ran formula Atlantic I think it was before he came to NASCAR.
That is, indeed, true. He could have been an open-wheel driver.

I can't see Newman going back to SHR. Tony kicked Newman to the curb for Harvick. Doesn't anyone remember Newman's "bipolar and anger issues" comment that he lobbed at Tony after the Richmond race in 2016? Naw, I cannot see Newman going back to SHR.

I'd like to see Newman around for a few more years, but I think both he and McMurray will end up retiring after this season.
With Newman leaving RCR, I think either Ty Dillon or Hemric will drive the 31 and the other one will end up in the 13.

Where should Newman go?
41? - Probably Truex or Custer
19? - surely not
95? - Probably Suarez
1? - Probably Kurt Busch

There are not many other rides available.
I don't see him going to TriStar, Premium or RWR.
That leaves Roush, FRM, JTG and StarCom as possible rides for him.

Back
Top Bottom