SILLY SEASON 2019

Rumor has it Matt Tifft will be moving up to Front Row in the 23 next year....

better off keeping a good ride in Xfinity for another year or 2.
3 drivers will be retiring in that time frame with better rides.

Bob Pockrass reports that the worst-kept secret in the Nascar garage will be confirmed today...

Truex quote from that article: "...but it's nice to know what we will be doing in 2019."

Sounds to me like this deal was not signed until very recently.

"Sponsorship for the No. 19 Toyota Camry in 2019 is still being formulated and will be announced at a later date."

o_O Heading into the next-to-last race of the season and sponsorship is still not settled?!

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018...ruex-jr-cole-pearn-join-joe-gibbs-racing-2019

Jeffrey Earnhard has been supposed to have an announcement for over a week now, supposedly was supposed to happen at SEMA last week, then it was today, hasnt happened yet...typical jeffrey happening though

People still have misgivings about Jeff Gordon leaving Bill Davis for HMS. I wonder how those people feel about Truex and Pearn going to work for a team that put you and the man that gave you a chance out of business?

I'm betting they will go to work with JGR, happy to have a good job in good equipment, and think nothing of it. This is business and they're independent contractors. As fans you or we may have hard feelings or think it's personal but the world goes on. These guys are professionals. If Barney wanted to keep a team going he's wealthy enough that he could have. There was talk that no-one in his immediate family really has any interest in the Nascar business or sport. He had a heart attack last year. Time to take it easy and let go of some stress here's a great opportunity to walk away.

People still have misgivings about Jeff Gordon leaving Bill Davis for HMS. I wonder how those people feel about Truex and Pearn going to work for a team that put you and the man that gave you a chance out of business?

for sure, cut throat Joe is losing sponsors right and left, pretty embarrassing, and no telling what they will have to cobble together for Truex, Arris sure doesn't want to be there.

It would appear that Truex and Pearn don't have an issue with it.

for sure, cut throat Joe is losing sponsors right and left, pretty embarrassing, and no telling what they will have to cobble together for Truex, Arris sure doesn't want to be there.

Four fully funded cars. Yes or No? Whatever they "cobble together" will be more than Barney could apparently.

With the pending Arris buyout, who knows what happens with that sponsorship, either with JGR or Suarez. CommScope may not want to keep it going.

I'm still surprised Arris wound up in a contract that apparently wasn't contingent on Speedy being the driver. Joe must have really sold them a bill of goods.

I'm still surprised Arris wound up in a contract that apparently wasn't contingent on Speedy being the driver. Joe must have really sold them a bill of goods.
ComScope has already bought Arris 7.4 billion. In the meantime Slim Domitt who brokered that deal in the first place has been talking with Haas. Wonder if Arris's contract is null and void now?

Jeffrey Earnhard has been supposed to have an announcement for over a week now, supposedly was supposed to happen at SEMA last week, then it was today, hasnt happened yet...typical jeffrey happening though
I have heard he's going full time Xfinity racing with either RCR or JGR. He's got that military type company as a sponsor.

Truex quote from that article: "...but it's nice to know what we will be doing in 2019." Sounds to me like this deal was not signed until very recently.
This deal was done a while ago, before the 78 closing was even announced. Interesting side note, the lead engineer (Jeff Curtis) will not be going with them. In fact, not many people are going with them. The majority of the team resent JGR for what they did (which, despite the opinions of a few here, were very calculated and purposeful) so they are taking jobs elsewhere (Jeff is joining back up with Kurt at CGR).

Kurt's going to CGR? :D
Haha. Honestly, I'm not even sure there's a deal done yet! I know they've got press conferences scheduled, and they've had a handshake deal and LOI in place for months. But unless things changed recently, there is still no ink to paper. But whatever, it's past the point of no return for both of them at this point anyway. The deal itself is just semantics.

This deal was done a while ago, before the 78 closing was even announced. Interesting side note, the lead engineer (Jeff Curtis) will not be going with them. In fact, not many people are going with them. The majority of the team resent JGR for what they did (which, despite the opinions of a few here, were very calculated and purposeful) so they are taking jobs elsewhere (Jeff is joining back up with Kurt at CGR).
Thanks for the details, much appreciated. Do you know anything about the Arris sponsorship? There is speculation that Arris intended to back Suarez but their contracts did not legally accomplish that. If that is true, how could such a situation occur? Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

Haha. Honestly, I'm not even sure there's a deal done yet! I know they've got press conferences scheduled, and they've had a handshake deal and LOI in place for months. But unless things changed recently, there is still no ink to paper. But whatever, it's past the point of no return for both of them at this point anyway. The deal itself is just semantics.

Someone please tell me what LOI stands for.

Thanks for the details, much appreciated. Do you know anything about the Arris sponsorship? There is speculation that Arris intended to back Suarez but their contracts did not legally accomplish that. If that is true, how could such a situation occur? Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.
I honestly have no clue what's going on with Arris (or Suarez or the 41 for that matter). Sorry!

Last edited:
Someone please tell me what LOI stands for.
Letter of intent. It's not quite a contract, but basically a promise that the intention is to get a contract done. In this instance, getting an LOI from CGR was enough for Kurt to assume he was leaving SHR, thus no longer negotiating with them. So if CGR suddenly decided to hire another driver this weekend, Kurt would have pretty good ammo by which to sue CGR for the amount he would have made at SHR racing, since he passed on the SHR offer once the LOI was signed.

The majority of the team resent JGR for what they did (which, despite the opinions of a few here, were very calculated and purposeful) so they are taking jobs elsewhere (Jeff is joining back up with Kurt at CGR).

Thank you for the useful info that sets the record straight. It wasn't hard to figure out even from the outside, and there is plenty of room for JGR loyalists to simply say so what, life is tough.

I also don't blame Truex and Pearn for making the best move for themselves to keep their careers at the level they reached.

Very interesting about the letter of intent stuff as well.

I’m still not sure why Truex didn’t make a deal to take over the 41 car when Kurt leaves for Ganassi at the end of the year. I think he would have a much better support system at SHR than he will get at Jibbs.

Back
Top Bottom