Silly Season 2020

SHR axing Bowyer would be interesting but it'll likely just be Custer replacing him, so not terribly exciting I suppose.

Custer in the 14 is awesome. But Bowyer is probably left with a crap ride and it's not like he's been terrible (he's outperforming Suarez last I checked).

Custer in the 14 is awesome. But Bowyer is probably left with a crap ride and it's not like he's been terrible (he's outperforming Suarez last I checked).

Suarez has to be in desperation mode at this point, career on the line.

3 years in Cup without making the playoffs, is not a good look, considering the equipment he's been in.

Suarez won an Xfinity championship and has talent. It took Kyle Larson and Chase Elliot a few years to win their first race.

I really don't think saurez has "IT" ...but I'm willing to bet ARRIS will support him for a couple more years

I really don't think saurez has "IT" ...but I'm willing to bet ARRIS will support him for a couple more years

I don't see it with Suarez. He may be able to luck or very occasionally be good enough for say, 1-5 wins in his career if he can stick around or bring Slims money. But yeah.

I think some dominos may fall whenever we see what Gannasi and Kurt Busch do. If CGR brings Busch back for another year, that really puts a premium on available rides with top teams. If Busch doesn't come back, I think we'll see a lot of movement with some teams looking to go with younger and cheaper drivers with guys like Bell in play for something in Cup.

I think some dominos may fall whenever we see what Gannasi and Kurt Busch do. If CGR brings Busch back for another year, that really puts a premium on available rides with top teams. If Busch doesn't come back, I think we'll see a lot of movement with some teams looking to go with younger and cheaper drivers with guys like Bell in play for something in Cup.
It is always going to come back to Bell. He is signed with JGR, but nobody has said where he is going and there are many combinations for the guessers. Removing Jones or Diben doesn't seem smart to me. Glad I am not making any of those decisions. Boyer might be on the hook, where is Reddick going if anywhere. There are some stories so far for next year. I think Kurt would take a cut in pay to stay racing at this point, doubt if he would have to though, but my opinion is that he isn't thru and Kurt has said so himself. He is the main bread winner at Ganassi.

Suarez has to be in desperation mode at this point, career on the line.

3 years in Cup without making the playoffs, is not a good look, considering the equipment he's been in.
With that logic Menard would have been gone years ago

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Think of this one. Ganassi resigns Kurt to one more year and then Moves to Toyota and a 3rd car (team) which has Bell as the driver and the whole team belongs to JGR.

Who is going to turn down Menard's money???

Think of this one. Ganassi resigns Kurt to one more year and then Moves to Toyota and a 3rd car (team) which has Bell as the driver and the whole team belongs to JGR.
Anything to suggest the 'Ganassi to Toyota' part of this is more than an idle notion? :blink:

He might want some of the Barney treatment, who knows :confused: :p
Ya know, regardless of who owned what share of the blame, I wonder if that whole deal causes other owners to think twice about switching to Toyota. We may guess, speculate, and argue about who's telling the truth but I sure the owners KNOW.

I guess my post was misleading. I wasn't talking about him hanging around like a Menard, if he's got the financial backing to turn laps for life then more power to him.

I was talking more about the potential/buzz that he entered into the Cup series with after some of his Xfinity performances going toe to toe with KB. KB seemed sold on his talent level. I had good hopes he was going to be excellent straight away stepping into Carl's 19 seat. It never manifested. And now it's not manifesting on SHR. Making the playoffs were minimum expectations for him on a 19 JGR and 41 SHR ride imo. If he doesn't break thru in the next year and a half, and he's ousted from the 41, then I fear he'll ride in inferior equipment to his first 4 years. That is what I meant by "career on the line", since performance typically defines a career.

To another post, Elliott made the playoffs in each of his first 3 seasons and broke thru in year 3 with 3 wins. He showed flashes of his ability with 2nd place finishes before that breakthrough. Larson is a slightly closer example, but still had a much stronger rookie season and won in year 3 (2nd's to go with it).

I actually like Suarez and want to see him pull through, I am waiting.

I had good hopes he was going to be excellent straight away stepping into Carl's 19 seat. It never manifested. And now it's not manifesting on SHR. Making the playoffs were minimum expectations for him on a 19 JGR and 41 SHR ride imo
For this year, no one is getting the job done at SHR so we can't judge him on that score.
No young driver has performed at JGR with Kyle and Hamlin as his team mate.
I think that is part of why Carl left

Suarez won an Xfinity championship and has talent. It took Kyle Larson and Chase Elliot a few years to win their first race.
Chase and Larson at least came close. Chase made the playoffs every year and went fairly deep. Suarez has shown literally nothing while occupying a seat on what was by far the most dominant team in Cup. Was he rushed up too soon? Yes. But you can’t deny the mob was forming to burn Chase’s effigy at this point as well until he broke through. Slim’s checks are the only thing keeping Suarez around imho.

Suarez basically is a Paul Menard level talent. Nothing wrong with being average, and not to discredit his Xfinity title but Erik Jones should have won in 2016.

It is always going to come back to Bell. He is signed with JGR, but nobody has said where he is going and there are many combinations for the guessers. Removing Jones or Diben doesn't seem smart to me. Glad I am not making any of those decisions. Boyer might be on the hook, where is Reddick going if anywhere. There are some stories so far for next year. I think Kurt would take a cut in pay to stay racing at this point, doubt if he would have to though, but my opinion is that he isn't thru and Kurt has said so himself. He is the main bread winner at Ganassi.
With Samantha's new TV contract, maybe one time will retire at the end of the year and Bell goes to the 18?

With Samantha's new TV contract, maybe one time will retire at the end of the year and Bell goes to the 18?
When the day comes, I suspect Kyle will be like Tony and Kenny. 'Retired' will have an implied '... from Cup' on the end.

When the day comes, I suspect Kyle will be like Tony and Kenny. 'Retired' will have an implied '... from Cup' on the end.
Yep. He wont quit beating up on the minor leaguers. Probably go for eight or ten X and Truck Championships.

If those guys in Xfinity and the truck series can't hang with the likes of Kyle Busch or are afraid of some competition they need to hang it up. I'm not a Kyle Busch fan but I never understood all the tears and crying over cup drivers racing in the lower levels.

Suarez got in with SHR in what looks like an off year for them. I dont care one way or another but I think the kid will win some races when that whole 4 car team starts clicking with 3 or 4 of the cars running a lot more laps consistently in the top 5 like they did last year when they won all those races.

For this year, no one is getting the job done at SHR so we can't judge him on that score.
No young driver has performed at JGR with Kyle and Hamlin as his team mate.
I think that is part of why Carl left

Yes and no, they are down compared to last year, Harvick has been plenty fast imo and look at how firmly planted Almirola is in the points. That's where I would expect Suarez to be hovering in that area of Almirola (win or no win), but he's not.

Jones made top 16 last year in his 2nd year, and is on track to make it again this year, he's getting closer to winning I think.

Carl was socking it to KB and Logano at Homestead before he hung it up, so I highly doubt that's part of the reason, but those are like just my opinions man....

Yep. He wont quit beating up on the minor leaguers. Probably go for eight or ten X and Truck Championships.
Ah I know KDB gets ridiculed on here for beating up on minor leagues but I myself would find it kind of cool that if and when he does retire from Cup he runs for KBM in Trucks and Xfinity, and be a lifer over on those parts. It would be refreshing if he kept at it after the previous "dont call it a retirement.. I am just stepping away" like Gordon, Earnhardt Jr or Edwards have said. I would find it neat that he stayed in the sport on competitive level while running his own stuff.

I'd kill to see Carl come back. Such a shame he left like that. No lie, his personality is really missed. No offense to Truex or Saurez who came after him, but Carl was just awesome. Had some hiccups throughout his career, but damn he was a great driver.

Only if Jack was competitive and bring the 99 back... That would be incredible to see, but with how things are, I doubt he ever looks back at NASCAR.

If Bowyer even wants to hang around anymore. He hasn't been the happiest guy in the garage this year, to say the least.

His contract ending plus having the least built-in funding makes him the easiest target to be replaced, and he's regressed further away from Harvick and more towards Almirola's level.

If those guys in Xfinity and the truck series can't hang with the likes of Kyle Busch or are afraid of some competition they need to hang it up. I'm not a Kyle Busch fan but I never understood all the tears and crying over cup drivers racing in the lower levels.
Yepper, that is the same thing they tell the youngsters in minor league baseball. Also college coaches motivate their football players by bringing pros in to lay a few good licks on them. I also enjoy seeing a high school senior playing on the 7th grade basketball team.

I see young curlers starting to knock off the old timers. I guess it works in both directions.

I never understood all the tears and crying over cup drivers racing in the lower levels.
On my part It's not tears or crying but an opinion just like your's. The races, which I tune in to watch or attend, are much better without an egotistical nincompoop of a Cup driver in it. In a car/truck prepared by a cup team, crewed by a Cup pit crew with Cup engineers present and Cup money behind them. Without the aforementioned nincompoops the racing is "Always" Better. There's a difference between a Cup driver dropping down to help a team figure out what's needed to improve a team/car/truck and a top tier driver wanting to lord over the minor leagues.

On my part It's not tears or crying but an opinion just like your's. The races, which I tune in to watch or attend, are much better without an egotistical nincompoop of a Cup driver in it. In a car/truck prepared by a cup team, crewed by a Cup pit crew with Cup engineers present and Cup money behind them. Without the aforementioned nincompoops the racing is "Always" Better. There's a difference between a Cup driver dropping down to help a team figure out what's needed to improve a team/car/truck and a top tier driver wanting to lord over the minor leagues.
Of course most of this depends on the mentality of the car owner and sponsors.
One story a few years ago was the Xfinity car of Team Penske and the sponsorship was demanding Brad wheel the car. Of course that worked out well because they now sponsor the cup cars as well.

Back
Top Bottom