Silly Season 2020

I wouldn't mind seeing Eric Jones in the 14 car next year.

I'd rather see a young experienced cup driver in that ride than Custer. Jones is a wheel man and he can win in a cup ride. Custer can hang out in Xfinity for another year or two. Regardless what Custer has done this season in Xfinity imo he'll end up another William Byron if they move him to cup too soon. Byron wasn't ready for cup and I dont think Custer is either.

Regardless what Custer has done this season in Xfinity imo he'll end up another William Byron if they move him to cup too soon. Byron wasn't ready for cup and I dont think Custer is either.
That's one side effect of the current development system. Young drivers are coming up that aren't -quite- ready and would benefit from another year in X. I don't know if the teams are anxious to keep them from getting away, or to save money by replacing an expensive veteran, or they're just willing to accept the risks of a driver who isn't there yet.

I dunno, maybe putting a up-and-comer with a satellite is the way to go. Let them act as his proving ground. Being able to finish consistently and bring the car home in second- or even third-tier equipment might be a good indicator of performance with at top-flight team.

People wanting to see Ricky Stenhouse get fired may have to wait a while as his Roush-Fenway contract runs through 2021...

Yeah Ricky weaseled his way into a long term deal. In reality it's smart on him.

Do you suppose he brings in his own melons to smash, or just whatever the local grocer has?
That would be blasphemy to any farmer if they have a crop at the time. He probably carries a dozen or so everywhere he goes.

That's one side effect of the current development system. Young drivers are coming up that aren't -quite- ready and would benefit from another year in X. I don't know if the teams are anxious to keep them from getting away, or to save money by replacing an expensive veteran, or they're just willing to accept the risks of a driver who isn't there yet.

I dunno, maybe putting a up-and-comer with a satellite is the way to go. Let them act as his proving ground. Being able to finish consistently and bring the car home in second- or even third-tier equipment might be a good indicator of performance with at top-flight team.

I think this is a very interesting perspective. Without testing, these kids need seat time....maybe the satellite is a way of getting that.

On the flipside, you have the Ross Chastain Development System, where he'll have 100+ Cup races under his belt when he eventually runs for Rookie of the Year.
He'll probably be Trevor Bayne or Brad Keselowski ruled.

I think being a driver on a 2nd/3rd (even 4th maybe) tier Cup team can work out in your favor more so than being in Xfinity for years. Bell is better off being in the 95 even without extra JGR support than another year in the top tier Xfinity ride.

The problem I see with this strategy is that these drivers know that they have a limited shelf life and if they don't get to a top tier Cup ride fairly soon, they may NEVER get their chance. All it takes is another owner to offer them a top tier ride, even if it isn't the very top tier. Remember how HMS lost Keselowski because he didn't want to spend another year driving for Finch waiting for the 5 car to open up, and Penske swooped in and stole him. Look at what Childress is saying about Reddick. He KNOWS that if he can't get him in Cup car ASAP, he will be gone. RCR may not be JGR or SHR, but in Reddick's mind, it probably beats the hell out another year in XFINITY or driving for Germain or somebody like them. You can say these drivers are making a mistake, but remember that the next hot driver of the week is just around the corner, and you can become old news overnight.

RCR has room to add another car to cup IF the money is right. Sounds like to me that Childress put out a APB for potential sponsors. This is the time of the year for that to be happening. Childress has been selling Reddick's talent for months now. I hope it works. Who knows, Reddick might be able to drive an RCR car into the top 5

Bell to the 95? Looking back after he leaves Xfinity who do the Yoters have to fill his place? Burton, Gilliland? I guess they can use Kyle to run up their numbers. That seems to be the plan so far.

Bell to the 95? Looking back after he leaves Xfinity who do the Yoters have to fill his place? Burton, Gilliland? I guess they can use Kyle to run up their numbers. That seems to be the plan so far.
Burton and Gililand are toast imho. They haven’t done anything with what is by far the best truck equipment. And that sucks because I was a big fan of Ward and Jeff.

Burton and Gililand are toast imho. They haven’t done anything with what is by far the best truck equipment. And that sucks because I was a big fan of Ward and Jeff.

Doubt very much this is the case, especially Burton with papa Burton shilling for the Yotas every race. Papa Gilliland, DGR Crosley, has been quietly moving into the truck series. Doubt they could do that without Toyota's blessings. I'm sure Kyle is jumping with joy as he cuts off the limb he is sitting on. Talk about a conflict. Competing against the KBM's with young Gilliland driving for the other Toyota team. Looks like another factory does as it pleases deal to me. I don't think any of them have much say in who they hire or young Gilliland would be driving for DGR Crosley. He does in the lower series. As the steering wheel turns.

I think being a driver on a 2nd/3rd (even 4th maybe) tier Cup team can work out in your favor more so than being in Xfinity for years. Bell is better off being in the 95 even without extra JGR support than another year in the top tier Xfinity ride.

I disagree. Several guys have done that and had their reputations tainted. Ask Ryan Preece how his JTG experience is going. All it will take is couple years of Bell running 22nd in a backmarker for everyone to forget how he ran in Xfinity and assume he sucks because he’s not running door to door with Kyle Busch.

I disagree. Several guys have done that and had their reputations tainted. Ask Ryan Preece how his JTG experience is going. All it will take is couple years of Bell running 22nd in a backmarker for everyone to forget how he ran in Xfinity and assume he sucks because he’s not running door to door with Kyle Busch.
Lets get this straight, if Bell is given a full time Cup ride, he will be driving the same car he would be at JGR and his team will be JGR trained. He will be the 5th car the same as what the 77 was.
This may be a more expensive way of doing things but it will lock him into cup under JGR. The #95 car is doing good because they are getting information from JGR/Toyota BUT Bell would be a step higher.

Lets get this straight, if Bell is given a full time Cup ride, he will be driving the same car he would be at JGR and his team will be JGR trained. He will be the 5th car the same as what the 77 was.
This may be a more expensive way of doing things but it will lock him into cup under JGR. The #95 car is doing good because they are getting information from JGR/Toyota BUT Bell would be a step higher.

the 95 car is doing good? It's in 24th place. Doesn't take much help to run 24th IMO. The 32 Matt came from is in 29th. That is nothing but a great hope at this point, nothing straight about it so far but opinions.

the 95 car is doing good? It's in 24th place. Doesn't take much help to run 24th IMO. That is nothing but a great hope at this point, nothing straight about it so far but opinions.

The owners of the #95 are financially one step above S&P teams of the past.
I think the kid doesn't have much of a car and I doubt man drivers would do much better.
Nascar still pays the top 25 teams so there are 15 teams who would like to be in his position.

The owners of the #95 are financially one step above S&P teams of the past.
I think the kid doesn't have much of a car and I doubt man drivers would do much better.
Nascar still pays the top 25 teams so there are 15 teams who would like to be in his position.
McDowell in a Chevy ran full time in 2017 finished in 26th..where is this huge Toyota improvement you speak of?

You will have to ask a Toy fan. I am not one of them.
you were the one saying they were doing so well in the 95 is why I asked? And opinions that Bell will suddenly elevate that team to heights never before imagined without any evidence of movement in that direction. I don't see how some can be so positive at this point in the game myself. I'm not saying it could happen, but it's a way long shot at this point.

Bell is also running circles around what Preece did at JGR. Or at least quite a bit better. Not saying he couldn't lose confidence, but I think he needs to be in Cup.

And I think Bell can attract sponsorship as well, but that's opinion not fact.

the 95 car is doing good? It's in 24th place. Doesn't take much help to run 24th IMO. The 32 Matt came from is in 29th. That is nothing but a great hope at this point, nothing straight about it so far but opinions.
Remind me, isn’t this the car Kahne was in? What did he do in it? My Internet is down and I can’t read Racing Reference on this phone.

you were the one saying they were doing so well in the 95 is why I asked? And opinions that Bell will suddenly elevate that team to heights never before imagined without any evidence of movement in that direction. I don't see how some can be so positive at this point in the game myself. I'm not saying it could happen, but it's a way long shot at this point.
The 95 team is an affiliate with tech help from JGR, period.
If Bell runs in a second car it will be a JGR car the same as if he jumped into the 20.
That is the difference.

Remind me, isn’t this the car Kahne was in? What did he do in it? My Internet is down and I can’t read Racing Reference on this phone.
Ran mid-20s mostly, other then nearly winning at Daytona. But how much of Kaseys season was affected by his health issues is hard to say.

Ran mid-20s mostly, other then nearly winning at Daytona. But how much of Kaseys season was affected by his health issues is hard to say.

Would’ve liked to see Kasey stick in the 95.

If Bell runs in a second car it will be a JGR car the same as if he jumped into the 20.
That is the difference.
that is what YOU think will be the difference. Forgot what happened to Barney already?

i dont think you can say this any better.
That is the difference.

that is what YOU think will be the difference. Forgot what happened to Barney already?
Nope I didn't forget. But we are talking here about running their own driver in a fifth car and that can only be done by using another team. Much the same as they did for Jones.
Getting rid of Barney was competition destroyed off the track and getting his personnel.

Would’ve liked to see Kasey stick in the 95.

I think that kind of ignores the underlying truth that Kahne was in the 95 because Hendrick had one more year to pay him. So he gave him to a team that bought Hendrick equipment. I know it's in the competitors' interests to not talk about anything financial, but financials rule the sport of auto racing and who is where and for how long. Kahne choosing to either retire after being set for life or continuing on a 75% pay cut?

Back
Top Bottom