Silly Season 2020

Because they are entertaining and generate a lot of revenue. But winning once or twice at Daytona is much more of a crapshoot than winning at Darlington or Bristol etc. A lot of luck Is obviously a factor @AuzGrams so I stand by what I said Dillon sucks prove me wrong. He will never be more than a 20th place driver. His higher points finishes are reflective of the points system. If capitalizing means wrecking the leader on the last lap in your criteria than my opinion is that's effed up. He didnt deserve that win and even if he did look at the competition at that point it's a matter of survival. As far as the coke 600 goes, David Reutimann won that too but at least he has a legit win unlike Austin. Dillon boys suck end of story!

I was saying this about Eric Jones in another post
Eric's Daytona win is a win but a flip of a coin win
sure all wins are wins....rain shortened, gas mileage or under caution, every driver will take them
but when you win like Eric did at Darlington.........that's a real win...

I don't buy public relations spin speak hook, line, and sinker either. This isn't the NFL, you don't retire at 27 unless the money runs out. In Ty's case, it's his grandfather's money and I perceive he was told the #13 was needed for someone else...
What did I miss? Ty Dillon is out of the 13? When did this news break and is there a link?

What did I miss? Ty Dillon is out of the 13? When did this news break and is there a link?
It's just a rumor started by someone that claims they read a post on Facebook from Joe Dirt with no sources it literally holds as much water as me stating that you've been hired by Penske the drive 4th Penske car next year

To say plate racing takes no talent is ludicrous and expressed by people who have a grudge against it.

It's not that it doesn't take talent, but it doesn't really mean anything for the OTHER 32 weeks of the year, and it is a great equalizer in car quality. If you look at the history of these races, they are littered with the names of drivers and teams that didn't do squat much of anywhere else. The results are also skewed by the large number of cars wiped out in big wrecks, often the most likely winners. If you want to take the approach that a win is a win is a win, and hey, if you can get a dark horse win at a plate track, that gets you in the playoffs, who cares, BUT, if you are interested in a driver that can run up front EVERY week, then plate track success is no promise of success elsewhere. I give you Michael Waltrip. The facts are that in Cup, Austin Dillon has never beat ANYBODY straight up for a win by being faster than them. That's not a slam, that's just a fact, and his Daytona 500 win doesn't do anything to change that.

Because they are entertaining and generate a lot of revenue. But winning once or twice at Daytona is much more of a crapshoot than winning at Darlington or Bristol etc. A lot of luck Is obviously a factor @AuzGrams so I stand by what I said Dillon sucks prove me wrong. He will never be more than a 20th place driver. His higher points finishes are reflective of the points system. If capitalizing means wrecking the leader on the last lap in your criteria than my opinion is that's effed up. He didnt deserve that win and even if he did look at the competition at that point it's a matter of survival. As far as the coke 600 goes, David Reutimann won that too but at least he has a legit win unlike Austin. Dillon boys suck end of story!
Yeah, I ain’t going that far.

I dont feel bad that Austin wrecked the leader on the last lap of the Daytona 500 and even cheered when he did it. You do what you gotta do to win. The opening was there he took it. End of story in my book. You can just say you think the Dillons suck and you're not a fan of them and save us all the trouble.

Because the family that owns NASCAR also owns those tracks.
I was asking in jest because this has turned into another "Restrictor Plate racing is all luck and no skill" thread and frankly, I really have nothing to add to the subject. I think it takes great skill to win and how to maneuver the draft but thats just me.

If a driver has only one win at Daytona and not even a handful elsewhere, it’s a fluke.

From my Unofficial Rules of Auto Racing

33. Daytona and Talladega are big cluster****s of races that require the least driver talent to win at on the circuit. (See Michael Waltrip, Derrike Cope, Trevor Bayne, Bobby Hillin Jr., Jimmy Spencer, David Ragan, Greg Sacks, and Phil Parsons.)

This has been edited in recent years to add "Ricky Stenhouse and Justin Haley", at least until they win somewhere else.

I dont feel bad that Austin wrecked the leader on the last lap of the Daytona 500 and even cheered when he did it. You do what you gotta do to win. The opening was there he took it. End of story in my book. You can just say you think the Dillons suck and you're not a fan of them and save us all the trouble.

LOL how doesn't Austin Dillon suck? How is that an opinion? Stats are stats! As far as Daytona, I get it I cheer everytime a Bowtie slams the wall too! Have you checked the standings lately? Have you checked the performance lately? I guess he won an Xfinity championship by not winning any races in very very good RCR equipment so I'm not impressed at all. You know who also sucks Ricky Stenhouse, Daniel Suarez, Paul Menard but my allegiance to them and who they drive for makes it so I still cheer for them. So therefore I can say someone sucks and it's purely because of their results i.e. everyone mentioned here especially Austin Dillon!!!

upload_2019-9-4_15-15-53.jpeg

And I hate to mention The Dab ...

LOL how doesn't Austin Dillon suck? How is that an opinion? Stats are stats! As far as Daytona, I get it I cheer everytime a Bowtie slams the wall too! Have you checked the standings lately? Have you checked the performance lately? I guess he won an Xfinity championship by not winning any races in very very good RCR equipment so I'm not impressed at all. You know who also sucks Ricky Stenhouse, Daniel Suarez, Paul Menard but my allegiance to them and who they drive for makes it so I still cheer for them. So therefore I can say someone sucks and it's purely because of their results i.e. everyone mentioned here especially Austin Dillon!!!
Well if you read my above posts I agreed with you in that he’s a 15-20th place driver. This year he and I’d say RCR as a whole as underachieved...I don’t think that’s controversial to say. I also said he’s probably in his ride, the 3 because of who his Paw Paw is (with Job security too). Where I feel we veer off in opposite directions is when we discredit wins and restrictor plate wins...I’m just not in the business of doing it nor have I ever been. I watch these guys each week on the comfort of my couch...I’m not at liberty to say who sucks or who’s win is a fluke. I have too much respect for the skill level it takes to race for a living.

I can't understand the fans liking these tracks but apparently fans in seats equals money in the bank for at least a couple teams.
I have to say that these races are high on my entertainment list. I prefer Daytona and Talladega over Michigan, Chicago, California...most any other 1.5 mile tracks.

Ty Dillon retiring from full time driving rumor is very true; expect a new driver in the 13 next year. Ty will run as many races as sponsorship permits in an extra RCR car next year as he goes to spend more time with his young family

Ty Dillon retiring from full time driving rumor is very true; expect a new driver in the 13 next year. Ty will run as many races as sponsorship permits in an extra RCR car next year as he goes to spend more time with his young family

Where is this rumor coming from, and how does it make any sense? This just isn't adding up. That implies Reddick taking the 8 and Hemric to the 13? Why? That basically means Ty suddenly wants to retire when his career has barely taken off, Germain/Geico wants a new driver despite Ty performing pretty well, CAT and the sponsors on the 8 car are OK with yet another driver change (Reddick) and Hemric would accept a demotion to the 13. That's a lot of moving parts

Yeah ok...lol

Well if you read my above posts I agreed with you in that he’s a 15-20th place driver. This year he and I’d say RCR as a whole as underachieved...I don’t think that’s controversial to say. I also said he’s probably in his ride, the 3 because of who his Paw Paw is (with Job security too). Where I feel we veer off in opposite directions is when we discredit wins and restrictor plate wins...I’m just not in the business of doing it nor have I ever been. I watch these guys each week on the comfort of my couch...I’m not at liberty to say who sucks or who’s win is a fluke. I have too much respect for the skill level it takes to race for a living.

Agree to disagree pal lol I wish I had his privileges so people could say I suck too. People have always judged and always will.

Austin isn’t a bad driver at all. He’s a playoff caliber driver and if Chevy had a better car I’d expect him to pull off a win a season

Austin isn’t a bad driver at all. He’s a playoff caliber driver and if Chevy had a better car I’d expect him to pull off a win a season

Can't blame the car...the 42, 1 ,9, 24 and 88 are all locked in the playoffs and have looked pretty damn fast...48 could easily be in too. Not a problem with the Camaro.

I think the problem maybe with RCR and it’s equipment itself. Chevy as a whole has been running better since Daytona in July.

RCR has everything they need in the equipment department. The latest, the greatest and lots of it.

At this level, running up front is all about people.

They're making a huge mistake if Tyler Reddick gets let go to another team. I'm a supporter of Daniel Hemric (I guess he has a 2 year deal so maybe that's why he's gonna be in the 8), but I just don't see what Reddick hasn't done to earn a ride at this level & also considering he has family money.

Reddick's grandfather sold BBR. Its the reason why after his stint at Ganassi BBR was not shown on Reddick's car.

I find it funny, I'm guilty of ****ting on some drivers as well, but they have done much better than myself. Austin Dillion is no slouch, neither is Ty, or anyone else mentioned. You have to have money to play in this sport. For example, look at this tidbit from Bob Leavine.
Question:

Answer:

400k per weekend more or less. God forbid you lose an engine, accident of some sort, or some mechanical issue. Something I need to find the source to, teams get free gas for practice and qualifying. Race fuel is paid for out of pocket from the teams... Bob just cannot open a second team out of a whim, its just how it is.

Follow him on twitter and ask him questions, he's very upfront and honest as an owner. Something I really respect in communicating with the fan base.

Last edited:
Where is this rumor coming from, and how does it make any sense? This just isn't adding up. That implies Reddick taking the 8 and Hemric to the 13? Why? That basically means Ty suddenly wants to retire when his career has barely taken off, Germain/Geico wants a new driver despite Ty performing pretty well, CAT and the sponsors on the 8 car are OK with yet another driver change (Reddick) and Hemric would accept a demotion to the 13. That's a lot of moving parts
Where is the demotion if all your doing driving a car with a different number on the roof.
The 13 has been a consistent ride with good sponsorship. You may not get to the Hall of Fame in it but your bank account should look healthy after some years.

Oof, I got it backwards. Fuel is free on raceday, but teams have to pay for fuel on practice and qualifying days.

Source:https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-racing/nascar/nascar-basics/nascar-sponsorship1.htm

I didn't bother clicking through all the pages to see what the article said, but unless something has changed, ALL fuel on race weekend was free, and if you were savvy enough, you could hoard enough extra fuel to meet some of your other needs for fuel away from race weekend. Whenever ARCA was a companion event to a Cup event, the ARCA teams got all of their fuel free too, and we made darn sure that the car never left the track without being clear full, as well as our dump cans, or as close to full as we could get away with. If we ran a second car as a start and park car, which we did on occasion, THAT car and the dump cans for it ALSO left the track with as much fuel as we could get. These measures ensured that we almost never had to buy fuel at all the other tracks where we would have to pay for it. Most of the teams that I worked with would use similar tactics.

As far as Daytona does. He was blocked, and didn’t lift. So he didn’t wreck the leader, the leader wrecked himself.

Back
Top Bottom