Silly Season 2020

I'm not sure exactly what "options" JJ is alluding to after his contract expires at the end of 2020 (at age 45) but rest assured they are all "on the table." I guess he's hinting he might hang up his helmet then. He has talked about other forms of racing, but my guess is that will not amount to more than a dabble or two (as per Jeff Gordon). I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that, however.

Impatient Johnson pondering options amid skid
CHARLOTTE, N.C. --
Jimmie Johnson views himself as a patient person. But mired in a brutal winless streak, the seven-time NASCAR champion intends to put all options on the table when his contract is up next year.

"I'll have to evaluate what I'll want to do after that," he said.

Johnson is growing more and more impatient with each passing week as his Hendrick Motorsports No. 48 race team keeps struggling on the track.

"Over my career, I've been able to be patient and let things work themselves out," Johnson said this week. "There are two factors that are leading to my impatience now -- one is I haven't won in a couple years; two is that I don't know what I'm going to be doing in a couple years." (ESPN.com)

How about Bell to the 20 and Erik Jones to LFR's second team? That's my guess

Pretty strange Bell isn't getting any cup opportunities this year. I would have thought he would get some races.

Gibbs isnt gonna let that FEDEX money go, no sir.
No way will Gibbs jeopardize his FedEx sugar daddy. Also, it's clear that Hambone is FedEx's guy... according to the new Nate Ryan podcast that delves deep into the FedEx-Gibbs-Hamlin relationship. And Hamlin spoke of his contract...

Hamlin, who will turn 39 in November, signed a multiyear extension with FedEx in 2017 and would like to lay claim to having only one sponsor through the end of his NASCAR career.

“I’d like to do one more contract beyond what I have,” he said. “What I have is long term. We’re not even in the middle of that yet. So I’d like to be here... I’d like to go at least 43-ish.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...es-its-nascar-sponsorship-is-worth-a-billion/

FRR was destroyed off track, not on. Holy Joe and his disciples couldn't wait after getting beat. Toyota had a front row seat and may have given Joe the nod -- so all this other dick-dance about how Toyota wants to competitively expand after the FRR assassination is crap analysis.

You will be here when it happens, right? The FRR narrative is a joke. The owner himself told you why he bailed, but that doesn't support this stupid story.

My thoughts. It was typical a typical corporate hatchet job. The beancounters came up with a figure about how much it was costing to run 6 cars. They couldn't get rid of the home team JGR, so they figured if Barney can come up with this higher price we can keep him. Barney said the hell with it I'm done anyway. Toyota scooped up the leftovers Truex and Pearn and as long as we are guessing, are going to dump all of their resources into the smaller 4 car team with factory leftovers and overruns going to LFR. So far that is what it is. How will they make room for Bell? 1. come up with a whole racing team and cars? or 2. boot one from Gibbs. Hamlin?, Jones? or 3 Convince Bell that staying in Xfinity for another year is the best thing for him.

Wow. Just wow. So, Toyota outspends everybody, and then can't afford anybody. Outstanding.

You will be here when it happens, right? ....or will you be hiding under some skirts around here? The FRR narrative is a joke. The owner himself told you why he bailed, but that doesn't support this stupid story.

The owner gave the responsible answer as a class act. The business world handles many break ups without pushing behind-the-scenes drama to the front -- parties seek to avoid the risk of both sides exposing the other in a contentious public divorce.

Look at the criticism Richard Petty is getting for airing grievances with a former sponsor. Not a good look and it could impact future business.

The owner gave the responsible answer as a class act. The business world handles many break ups without pushing behind-the-scenes drama to the front -- parties seek to avoid the risk of both sides exposing the other in a contentious public divorce.

Look at the criticism Richard Petty is getting for airing grievances with a former sponsor. Not a good look and it could impact future business.

Let's try this a different way.....Can you find anything anywhere that substantiates this Savage Coach narrative? Anywhere? No. So, let's not make this about what people tell me....let's make it about reality and stories that have backbone instead of stuff that is made up.

Your line of thinking that Toyota is downsizing to maintain a funding level per car is from where? Where? David Wilson has repeatedly said that he wants to expand. Repeatedly. When he says they can carry eight cars, he means eight properly supported and funded cars.

Let's try this a different way.....Can you find anything anywhere that substantiates this Savage Coach narrative? Anywhere? No. So, let's not make this about what people tell me....let's make it about reality and stories that have backbone instead of stuff that is made up.
This. Visser had health problems, 5 Hour energy backed out taking millions of dollars and Visser had to look out for his business and his family. There is no conspiracy and Gibbs never forced him out.

This. Visser had health problems, 5 Hour energy backed out taking millions of dollars and Visser had to look out for his business and his family. There is no conspiracy and Gibbs never forced him out.

Simple isn't sexy is it? Sometimes life is that way. I appreciate your perspective.

JGR was beaten down when they went after the 78 crewman and ended giving up control of that crew to Visser's team, chapped Joe's ass. The 78 team goes on to win the Cup Championship. Time for JGR to save face in front of their Japanese masters and get rid of the subordinate Cup team that beat them, but too late to do it for the following year with agreements and sponsors in place.

So now Holy Joe waits to screw Visser until a critical part of the season with ongoing sponsor dealings, then wham comes the hugely jacked up cost. At least Holy Joe got to see Pearn/MTJ prevail over his JGR again.

The fact that JGR hugely jacked up the cost is all you need to know. Right there in front of you. No Spin. Visser beats Joe again, so Joe shivs him in the back. Don't pretend it didn't happen because Visser is an honorable man who wouldn't sling mud on the way out.

And then MTJ and Pearn get scooped up by JGR. Imagine that, how fortunate for JGR.

Holy Joe is shrewd and ruthless -- we can see that. I'm just not in denial that it all happened randomly.

And now all the Kubuki Theater of how to make LFR a competitive team. JGR drops a bomb on FRR -- a Championship caliber team -- then grabs their Driver and Crew Chief from the ruins; and now people want to sell us on the idea that JGR's alliance with LFR is legit...

Last edited:
Why is it such a problem that maybe JGR and/or Toyota wanted more money with the success FRR was having? Surely Barney could afford a couple more million?

Barney could have gotten Hendrick support or another affiliation with a top 15 team? For maybe a better deal?

His health was ailing and he accomplished almost everything but a Daytona 500.

And then MTJ and Pearn get scooped up by JGR. Imagine that, how fortunate for JGR.

Holy Joe is shrewd and ruthless -- we can see that. I'm just not in denial that it all happened randomly as you foolishly are.

And now all the Kubuki Theater of how to make LFR a competitive team. JGR drops a bomb on FRR -- a Championship caliber team -- then grabs their Driver and Crew Chief from the ruins; and now people want to sell us on the idea that JGR's alliance with LFR is legit...

Martin is a Toyota guy. They kept him in the family. TRD loves him.

Holy Joe is shrewd and ruthless -- we can see that. I'm just not in denial that it all happened randomly.

"What Joe Gibbs was talking about wasn't ridiculous," Visser said of the alliance fee. "His numbers were purely objective. ... What we couldn't agree on was how much we brought to them and how much that was worth spread over four cars. That was subjective."We were very close [to doing the deal] when we lost the big sponsor."

This is from the man who made the decision. Thats a wrap

"What Joe Gibbs was talking about wasn't ridiculous," Visser said of the alliance fee. "His numbers were purely objective. ... What we couldn't agree on was how much we brought to them and how much that was worth spread over four cars. That was subjective."We were very close [to doing the deal] when we lost the big sponsor."

You are destroying the Racing Forums experience for many posters. Thank you.

Murstein speaks, but he's still upset about losing previous sponsors to other teams. Smithfield to SHR and Stanley to JGR:

They have hired new consultants to help find sponsors, but who knows? Anything can happen at this point.

He still might. Probably near the end of the year. Gibbs will build it and run it under the LFR banner

David Wilson had said that there was no plan at this point (a couple of months ago I think) while Bob Leavine had suggested at the time LFR was announced as a Toyota team. I agree with you, however, I think you see Bell in the LFR second car this year.

Nothing you posted disproves the fact that Joe dropped a huge bomb on FRR.

The fact that Visser is giving you business speak to indicate he was in negotiations to save his team from a huge increase in alliance cost sprung on FRR by Joe, while losing significant revenue from a sponsor -- is the point.

When push came to shove -- FRR's "alliance" partner dropped the bomb. Pure and simple.

Now, the buzz about LFR is just an exercise in mediocrity. Don't beat the mothership and/or grab the Cup Championship, or Holy Joe will destroy his alliance-mate under the guise that it re-evaluated their "contribution" and hands them a huge increase in alliance cost.

Like the pit road exchange at Homestead last year, or the Adam Stevens fiasco that backfired on JGR as they lost control of the FRR pitcrew -- Holy Joe's unethical style was exposed and it didn't work in either case. His huge increase in alliance cost on a successful alliance partner is more of the same.

This wreaks of corruption as LFR's competitiveness is manipulated by JGR. Why not? JGR torpedoed a Cup Championship team.

LFR is just a JGR minion.

In all seriousness, who then gets the boot? Jones? I can't see Leavine adding a second unless TRD dumps a TON of money in to make them competitive. Bell is the biggest "can't miss" prospect in a long time and will command a top seat (I would think).
BOOT? They ran a second car at FRR (Jones) which in reality was totally a JGR car and team. There is no reason that won't happen again in Bell's case. Why should they drop a driver that has total sponsorship (Denny) or someone they are already invested in (Jones) and has sponsors?????

BOOT? They ran a second car at FRR (Jones) which in reality was totally a JGR car and team. There is no reason that won't happen again in Bell's case. Why should they drop a driver that has total sponsorship (Denny) or someone they are already invested in (Jones) and has sponsors?????
I'm not sure how many of Jone's sponsors are really tied to him. Seems like most are pre-existing from JGR. I don't think Jone's is going anywhere, but how many current sponsors of the 20 you think would walk away if they dropped Jone's and put Bell in the seat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nothing you posted disproves the fact that Joe dropped a huge bomb on FRR.

The fact that Visser is giving you business speak to indicate he was in negotiations to save his team from a huge increase in alliance cost sprung on FRR by Joe, while losing significant revenue from a sponsor -- is the point.

When push came to shove -- FRR's "alliance" partner dropped the bomb. Pure and simple.

Now, the buzz about LFR is just an exercise in mediocrity. Don't beat the mothership and/or grab the Cup Championship, or Holy Joe will destroy his alliance-mate under the guise that it re-evaluated their "contribution" and hands them a huge increase in alliance cost.

Like the pit road exchange at Homestead last year, or the Adam Stevens fiasco that backfired on JGR as they lost control of the FRR pitcrew -- Holy Joe's unethical style was exposed and it didn't work in either case. His huge increase in alliance cost on a successful alliance partner is more of the same.

This wreaks of corruption as LFR's competitiveness is manipulated by JGR. Why not? JGR torpedoed a Cup Championship team.

LFR is just a JGR minion.
You can keep using hyperbolye like "dropping a bomb" but the fact is he was gonna do a deal but 5 hour backed out and killed it. After that he had health problems and his family wanted him out. Thats the botton line, everything you wrote above is nothing but speculation, you have no proof any of that went down.

Right so Barney Visser is a liar and you guys are right. oooooooooooooooooook lol
did you happen to have inside information on the 78 and Visser closing up shop? I dont know maybe you dealt with them, if so I am sure you cant say here but you seem pretty sure of those dealings that went down last year with them closing up shop.

I'm not sure how many of Jone's sponsors are really tied to him. Seems like most are pre-existing from JGR. I don't think Jone's is going anywhere, but how many current sponsors of the 20 you think would walk away if they dropped Jone's and put Bell in the seat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
NONE

did you happen to have inside information on the 78 and Visser closing up shop? I dont know maybe you dealt with them, if so I am sure you cant say here but you seem pretty sure of those dealings that went down last year with them closing up shop.

Funny, someone on here DOES have inside information (Allen) and worked very closely with Furniture Row. His comments on the matter were very clear.

Back
Top Bottom