Silly Season 2023

Chevrolet will work out a nice deal with KBM, I'm sure he will get support equal to what Toyota gave him simply just from a competitive standpoint. Not a good look to switch over and the performance take a dramatic drop off. jmo of course
Chevy doesn't have a true blue development playground for drivers. All of a sudden, now that KBM/RCR this gives GM another level solved on the puzzle.
Eh, both you guys are assuming Chevy management has been wringing their hands and saying, "We really want to act like Toyota, except we just don't have Kyle Busch Motorsports to be our factory truck team. If we had KBM, we'd gladly sign a pipeline of drivers to support deals, and we'd strongarm our automotive vendors to sponsor the trucks too. GMS and all those others we've been offering modest support... can go pound sand. WE WANT KBM, please take our money."

I don't see that happening. I have no proof you're both wrong, but I think you're wrong. I think there will be some nice words in a few weeks, followed by typical support like Chevy gives other independent truck teams... nothing turnkey like KBM has had with Toyota.

It will be up to Kyle to make it work as a business and as an on-track competitor. Just my dos centavos.

Eh, both you guys are assuming Chevy management has been wringing their hands and saying, "We really want to act like Toyota, except we just don't have Kyle Busch Motorsports to be our factory truck team. If we had KBM, we'd gladly sign a pipeline of drivers to support deals, and we'd strongarm our automotive vendors to sponsor the trucks too. GMS and all those others we've been offering modest support... can go pound sand. WE WANT KBM, please take our money."

I don't see that happening. I have no proof you're both wrong, but I think you're wrong. I think there will be some nice words in a few weeks, followed by typical support like Chevy gives other independent truck teams... nothing turnkey like KBM has had with Toyota. Just my dos centavos.
Most refuse to believe that most of the yota stuff is heavily factory involved on every level. Chevy won't move into the spare office at KBM

I don't see that happening. I have no proof you're both wrong, but I think you're wrong. I think there will be some nice words in a few weeks, followed by typical support like Chevy gives other independent truck teams... nothing turnkey like KBM has had with Toyota.

It will be up to Kyle to make it work as a business and as an on-track competitor. Just my dos centavos.
To be fair I never said Kyle would use it as a pipeline for Developent. I simply said Chevy would offer help to keep KBM as competitive as he was with Toyota from a competitive standpoint

I would tend to agree with you EXCEPT for the fact that Chevy is REALLY weak in trucks right now, the rumor is GMS might be leaving trucks, leaving them even weaker, and there was a report going around that Chevy wanted to increase their support for the trucks. Does that mean Kyle? Don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked.

To be fair I never said Kyle would use it as a pipeline for Developent. I simply said Chevy would offer help to keep KBM as competitive as he was with Toyota from a competitive standpoint
That would require Chevy doing A TON more than they typically do. A TON. I'm not even saying they won't - I think it'll be interesting to see. If I'm Chevy, why not use this as a reason to get more heavily involved in Trucks and development? If they can help KBM figure out the financial piece, they'd have something up and running very quickly. But that's a big "if." I do hope Chevy steps up a lot. I love that series. Would be awesome to see them make a real effort.

Will also be interesting to see who'd drive there. My guess would be two trucks - a Kyle & Co. (pay to play) part time truck, and a full time one. Of the current drivers, I could see Chandler racing full time with Kyle. Won't be John Hunter or Corey.

I would tend to agree with you EXCEPT for the fact that Chevy is REALLY weak in trucks right now, the rumor is GMS might be leaving trucks, leaving them even weaker, and there was a report going around that Chevy wanted to increase their support for the trucks. Does that mean Kyle? Don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked.
It does makes sense for GMS to focus solely on Cup now.

Outside of Hocevar and Enfinger, Chevy really isn't doing much of anything in trucks now.

Ah, didn't you just say in post #2018 that RCR had no plans to get rid of Reddick?
They didnt have any plans but I also said in post #2018

"RCR has total control now and if 23XI wants Reddick early they will have to buy out his contract if Kurt decides not to return"

That would require Chevy doing A TON more than they typically do. A TON. I'm not even saying they won't - I think it'll be interesting to see. If I'm Chevy, why not use this as a reason to get more heavily involved in Trucks and development? If they can help KBM figure out the financial piece, they'd have something up and running very quickly. But that's a big "if." I do hope Chevy steps up a lot. I love that series. Would be awesome to see them make a real effort.

Will also be interesting to see who'd drive there. My guess would be two trucks - a Kyle & Co. (pay to play) part time truck, and a full time one. Of the current drivers, I could see Chandler racing full time with Kyle. Won't be John Hunter or Corey.
Yeah I believe JHN and Corey are tied with Toyota for the foreseeable future so where will they go? I dont think Gibbs will start a truck team

RCR is one of many teams in a position to benefit from the new Next Gen philosophy in Nascar, instead of remaining a 2nd tier team as they have been for many years. They have already benefited from the largely spec car, as has Trackhouse, Petty-GMS, Rousch-Fenway-Kes, 23XI, and others. RCR has also benefited from Chevrolet's effort to integrate ECR and Hendrick engine building operations. So RCR is more viable than in prior years as a race winning contender.

It remains to be seen whether this continues in future years, or will Hendrick, Gibbs-TRD, and maybe Penske and maybe SHR pull ahead and resume their accustomed position of dominance. Kyle Busch is joining the long list of players betting that Nascar's new era of spec-based parity will persist. Keselowski made that same bet. So did Michael Jordan and Hambone. Justin Marks also, and others. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, Kyle Busch has been protected and enabled by Pious Joe for the last 15 years. The kind of boorish behavior that Rick Hendrick wouldn't put up with has been OK at Gibbs. Richard Childress has a long history of covering for Dale Earnhardt's equally boorish behavior... but that was in a different era, a different business climate for Nascar race teams. I can foresee sparks flying between KB and RC going forward.

Yeah I believe JHN and Corey are tied with Toyota for the foreseeable future so where will they go? I dont think Gibbs will start a truck team
I could see JHN taking over for Ty in Xfinity. I imagine Corey would go to wherever the current KBM funding goes - expand a current team, convert another team, or start a fresh one I guess.

For those bashing Childress for not just letting Reddick go after signing Busch, he has a contract with Reddick through 2023. To a guy like him, contracts still mean something. But he's also a good businessman in trying to see if 23XI will pay him enough money to let Reddick out of that contract. He holds all the cards. Still, I'll be surprised if Reddick is not in the #45 next year.

For those bashing Childress for not just letting Reddick go after signing Busch, he has a contract with Reddick through 2023. To a guy like him, contracts still mean something. But he's also a good businessman in trying to see if 23XI will pay him enough money to let Reddick out of that contract. He holds all the cards. Still, I'll be surprised if Reddick is not in the #45 next year.

also RC could be thinking
if Reddick would be as good in a Toyota as 23Xi thinks he would be
letting him go would be adding to the competition next year
keeping Riddick at RCR in a lame duck situation.... one less Toyota driver to worry about for one year

Pockrass reporting that JGR offered a number consistent with the highest paid drivers that was rejected.....but go with the family thing.
Yet Kyle agreed with the take that JGR chose to save money by going with the cheaper driver with loads of upside opposed to a champion deserves to get paid x amount of dollars.

I can't quite make out who you stand with here Rev. Are you tooling on KB for his price, or for JGR for not meeting it?

I'm not really sure what to make of this. The market for drivers dictates driving price. All drivers seem to be taking pay cuts, and Dale Jr and Johnson mentioned this a few years ago. The landscape changed, perhaps Kyle's demand was too high. Perhaps Joe is too stubborn.

Or perhaps whatever negotiation was going on between them was disingenuous, maybe both parties felt it was time to end the relationship anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Or perhaps whatever negotiation was going on between them was disingenuous, maybe both parties felt it was time to end the relationship anyway.
Like many couples, the tolerance went out of the relationship when the money got short. If M&M / Mars was still on board, Gibbs would have renewed Kyle just like he's done in the past.

also RC could be thinking
if Reddick would be as good in a Toyota as 23Xi thinks he would be
letting him go would be adding to the competition next year
keeping Riddick at RCR in a lame duck situation.... one less Toyota driver to worry about for one year
That's another thing. I'm calling it a sideways move at best looking at it on paper. Besides Reddick is a lame duck for 23XI for another year.

He doesn't deserve Kyle
"Deserve"? What the heck does "deserve" have to do with business? If RCR doesn't, then who does 'deserve' Busch?

I don't think Childress deserves Busch either but It was his choice. If he want to add a second baby to sit at his age, that's his call. :p

Chevy doesn't have a true blue development playground for drivers. All of a sudden, now that KBM/RCR this gives GM another level solved on the puzzle.

It's better than shoving young drivers into Xfinity cars. Look at the Daniel Dye's, Nick Sanchez, Rajah Caruth, to a lesser extent Carson Hocevar. I think Carson signed on with Niece, I will check for confirmation. Me personally, I think this team will be fine to start off with. I doubt there will be any blank trucks, like what GMS was doing a few years ago. Will there be a pay driver or two? Probably, but I see GM taking this investment seriously and ensuring Kyle and company hits the ground running.

Drivers Edge Development.

Perhaps the worst result in all of this is Reddick’s quandary. IF, as relayed by @Allenbaba, Tyler did not want the new contract announced like it was (1 hour’s notice to RC ahead of the smarmy “ta da” splash by Hambone), this may be contributing to his 2023 predicament. Childress said he told Reddick “about the changes an hour ago” during the press conference…meaning he gave him just as much notice as Reddick gave him. That was intentional.

I don’t blame him one bit for putting KDB in the 8…it is the right move for all the reasons he stated. If the Weasel and Jordan won’t pay the price to get Tyler for next year, Reddick rides around in a lesser car (you just KNOW he will get the leftovers after Grandboy and Buschboy get fed).

My hope is that all of this experience slaps some new maturity into Kyle, much like Jimmy Spencer punched Kurt into a new perspective. Can KDB possibly become Kyle “the redemption story” Busch??

Hope Kyle gets to rock a Bass Pro Shops scheme in his new 8

I wonder what the terms of Tyler's contract is. Is is incentive based? Fixed? I mean does he actually have to in a cup car? Full time?

I guess it's completely possible that he just makes him run full time Xfinity and/or part time cup

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom