Silly Season 2023

If Tyler heading over there means Kurt is done I'm completely fine with that. I just don't want to see kurt hurt again and apparently this one was pretty bad. The sport needs him around out of the car as much as in the car

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

If Tyler heading over there means Kurt is done I'm completely fine with that. I just don't want to see kurt hurt again and apparently this one was pretty bad. The sport needs him around out of the car as much as in the car

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah he has an announcing career I bet if he wants it.

I think your math is a bit off. He had this year and next. That's 2 in my book anyway.
RCR picked up a one year OPTION for 2023. I suppose in a perfect world, Reddick should have told Richard that he was fielding offers from other teams for 2024, but we all know that usually doesn't happen. 95% of the people that leave the company I work for don't tell management they are looking at better offers, unless it is to try negotiate a raise. Evidently, Tyler wasn't interested enough in staying with RCR to try to leverage 23XI's interest in him for a better deal, which make me doubt that he was going to stay there for 2024 regardless of what Richard came up with. Richard also COULD have negotiated some form of right of first refusal into Tyler's contract if he was worried about him bailing out on him. I honestly think that other than Harvick, it's been so long since RCR had a driver somebody actually wanted to hire, Richard forgot how to play the game.

RCR picked up a one year OPTION for 2023.
Here I will make it simple enough so you can grasp it. You can't count properly in the first sentence. Reddick when signed on for Hambone at that time was under contract for this year AND the next with RCR...that's 2.
Next....#2. Reddick signing for Hambone when all they had were promises for a ride after Kurt retired sounded good to Reddick BUT, Hambone wasn't desperate so top dollar wasn't offered probably..
#3. IF Reddick would have worked the next year with RCR, (which he was going to do in the first place) he would have had RCR, 23XI, and who knows who else all wanting Reddick to drive their cars so a possibility of a bidding war could occur if he wasn't under contract.
#4. But instead, Hamlin screwed Reddick by letting the cat out of the bag and Hamlin managed to screw himself a bit because instead of Reddick passing over to 23XI in 2024 Hamlin had to buy out his contract early from Childress for next year. Knowing Childress that buy out didn't come cheap.
Bottom line...Reddick left some money on the table, maybe a lot of money on the table if a couple of teams really wanted him.
Hamlin was doing pretty well until Kurt got hurt and he seriously needed a driver for next year which he didn't have and his driver was under contract with another team. Ouch

Here I will make it simple enough so you can grasp it. You can't count properly in the first sentence. Reddick when signed on for Hambone at that time was under contract for this year AND the next with RCR...that's 2.
Next....#2. Reddick signing for Hambone when all they had were promises for a ride after Kurt retired sounded good to Reddick BUT, Hambone wasn't desperate so top dollar wasn't offered probably..
#3. IF Reddick would have worked the next year with RCR, (which he was going to do in the first place) he would have had RCR, 23XI, and who knows who else all wanting Reddick to drive their cars so a possibility of a bidding war could occur if he wasn't under contract.
#4. But instead, Hamlin screwed Reddick by letting the cat out of the bag and Hamlin managed to screw himself a bit because instead of Reddick passing over to 23XI in 2024 Hamlin had to buy out his contract early from Childress for next year. Knowing Childress that buy out didn't come cheap.
Bottom line...Reddick left some money on the table, maybe a lot of money on the table if a couple of teams really wanted him.
Hamlin was doing pretty well until Kurt got hurt and he seriously needed a driver for next year which he didn't have and his driver was under contract with another team. Ouch
What exactly does 2022 have to do with anything? It has no relevance in this discussion. We have no idea what 23XI is going to pay Tyler, but it's not very hard to imagine that it would be more than what RCR Would be willing (or able) to pay, and besides, I think this is as much about opportunity as money. I'm sure Reddick's buyout wasn't cheap, but it may well be less than you think, because keeping Tyler was going to cost RCR a BOATLOAD of money, with no guarantee that they would have the sponsorship or a worthy driver to carry on in 2024. Denny was going to have to hire somebody to drive that car in 2023 anyway, so I think it's definitely worth something to get YOUR guy into the seat a year early and start building for the future. Money is ALWAYS an issue, but I think it's less of an issue for Denny and Michael than it is for Richard. If I were Denny, and Richard tried to play hardball with ME, I'd say "Go ahead, go find another charter and buy it, hire all the people and buy all the extra cars and run Tyler for the year, see if I care. I can hire JHN or some other driver that will gladly drive our winning car for a year for loose change while we wait for Tyler." I don't actually see RCR holding much more than a pair of deuces in this whole affair. It's also easy to say that Reddick would have been worth more next year, but that is nothing more than speculation. The market can be fickle. Hot one day, yesterday's news the next.

RCR picked up a one year OPTION for 2023. I suppose in a perfect world, Reddick should have told Richard that he was fielding offers from other teams for 2024, but we all know that usually doesn't happen. 95% of the people that leave the company I work for don't tell management they are looking at better offers, unless it is to try negotiate a raise. Evidently, Tyler wasn't interested enough in staying with RCR to try to leverage 23XI's interest in him for a better deal, which make me doubt that he was going to stay there for 2024 regardless of what Richard came up with. Richard also COULD have negotiated some form of right of first refusal into Tyler's contract if he was worried about him bailing out on him. I honestly think that other than Harvick, it's been so long since RCR had a driver somebody actually wanted to hire, Richard forgot how to play the game.
How do we know that Tyler wasn't looking for a long term deal, and got the finger from financially strapped Richard? Maybe Tyler was disrespected and put it to that poor owner of a winery and convention center? The deal is that Tyler refuses to **** talk, and has handled everything with class. Richard, well, not so much.

How do we know that Tyler wasn't looking for a long term deal, and got the finger from financially strapped Richard? Maybe Tyler was disrespected and put it to that poor owner of a winery and convention center? The deal is that Tyler refuses to **** talk, and has handled everything with class. Richard, well, not so much.
Tyler and Hamlin start out with a back stabbing cut throat deal, the apple doesn't fall far from Preacher's tree.

Tyler and Hamlin start out with a back stabbing cut throat deal, the apple doesn't fall far from Preacher's tree.
Well, The Wine Enthusiast and Convention Hall Owner without money went out and got your new boy for ya....Cut throat?

and is in the process of skinning back the 23XI brain trust with a sizable bounty for the little guy.
Sleeze bag move screwing with the kid's career, but you will have that with his kind.

All you make, continuously on this forum, are assumptions.

Yes, you know better from your office chair in Oklahoma than Reddick's agent does. You know what Richard Childress was thinking, sure. You know what Hamlin was offering to Reddick and when in great detail too. C'mon.

Why do we keep saying that Richard Childress is poor? Does he have as much money as Rick Hendrick? Definitely not. But like, where does this "poor Richard" thing come from?

Kurt has a press conference scheduled for Saturday in Vegas.

@Allenbaba what's the scoop? I really hope he runs even one race next season as a proper send off.

I'm still holding his seat open for Martinsville in the NASCAR Pick 'Em game.

In 2019 they missed out on a couple of days of 500 practice because the car they bought or leased from their technical partner team was the wrong shade of orange, and when Alonso wrecked the primary in practice the backup was still being repainted. Papaya is serious business.
They ran a F1 McFerrari in 2006 or 2007ish and was heavily penalized owners points for it, hopefully it was wrapped in pure Papaya.

Why do we keep saying that Richard Childress is poor? Does he have as much money as Rick Hendrick? Definitely not. But like, where does this "poor Richard" thing come from?
Everything is relative. Richard has done VERY well for himself, and has nothing to apologize for, but Gene Haas, Rick Hendrick Roger Penske and Michael Jordan could probably buy Richard Childress with the loose change under their car seats. In the context of THIS discussion, it is a lot less likely that RC could top Michael and Denny in a bidding war for Reddick's services. I could be totally wrong here, but I think Reddick was moving on from RCR no matter what, and it was just a matter of whether it would be 2023 or 2024. I'm pretty sure Denny said that their were other bidders in play, so if not 23XI, he likely goes elsewhere. This COULD also be one of these deals like when a football team franchise tags the star quarterback to delay having to negotiate the mega deal that is to come, and the tagged player is usually pretty unhappy about it. Perhaps RCR's option pick up without serious steps at negotiating Tyler's next deal pissed him off. It seems to me for instance that whenever HMS announces an option pick up, the announcement immeadiatley follows with "we are currently discussing a long term deal". I'm not in this conversation to bash Richard, but it seems to me that when you have your best prospect to compete for championships since Kevin Harvick left, you tear up the option and sit down and cut a new deal late last year or early this year. Richard has to be aware of his position in the sport. Drives will wait for an offer from Rick or Roger or Joe, budding superstars aren't waiting around for an offer from RC.

Childress got the better end of the deal. He got to sell out his year with Reddick or is on the process of doing so to a team with deep pockets and needs a driver badly. Childress bought/signed a contract at close out prices with Kyle Busch who will finish higher and bring in more income than Reddick and Wallace next year. So if that is poor Childress so be it lol.

Yeah, no long term deal for Tyler, so Richard locked him down with an option. Kind of an insult to a guy who has won more for that organization than since who....Harv? Tyler got the message, and looked elsewhere. Richard cut his own throat, and then jumped into bed with the devil himself. They will either kill each other or they are a match made in Heaven. I'll go with killing each other. Should be an interesting story someday for Brex....How Daddy signed with a guy who punched him in the face because he had nowhere else to go. Why Daddy?

Everything is relative. Richard has done VERY well for himself, and has nothing to apologize for, but Gene Haas, Rick Hendrick Roger Penske and Michael Jordan could probably buy Richard Childress with the loose change under their car seats. In the context of THIS discussion, it is a lot less likely that RC could top Michael and Denny in a bidding war for Reddick's services. I could be totally wrong here, but I think Reddick was moving on from RCR no matter what, and it was just a matter of whether it would be 2023 or 2024. I'm pretty sure Denny said that their were other bidders in play, so if not 23XI, he likely goes elsewhere. This COULD also be one of these deals like when a football team franchise tags the star quarterback to delay having to negotiate the mega deal that is to come, and the tagged player is usually pretty unhappy about it. Perhaps RCR's option pick up without serious steps at negotiating Tyler's next deal pissed him off. It seems to me for instance that whenever HMS announces an option pick up, the announcement immeadiatley follows with "we are currently discussing a long term deal". I'm not in this conversation to bash Richard, but it seems to me that when you have your best prospect to compete for championships since Kevin Harvick left, you tear up the option and sit down and cut a new deal late last year or early this year. Richard has to be aware of his position in the sport. Drives will wait for an offer from Rick or Roger or Joe, budding superstars aren't waiting around for an offer from RC.
This is the brand Richard puts out there. The under dog. Self-made. Down to earth redneck. Not enough resources...as he sips his wine and books his convention hall. He wasn't battling Hendrick, Penske, or JGR for Tyler. He wanted to push Tyler around, and Tyler wasn't having it. Richard went public. Tyler keeps it classy. Denny said that Tyler was sought after, but that doesn't mean that there was a bidding war. Richard wants loyalty, but apparently is too stupid to understand that when you treat drivers like that, you aren't likely to get it.....and now he seeks loyalty in Kyle Busch. Good luck.

Kurt has a press conference scheduled for Saturday in Vegas.

@Allenbaba what's the scoop? I really hope he runs even one race next season as a proper send off.
Yes, by all indications, I would bet on a limited, farewell tour type schedule for Kurt next season. He really wanted to come back full time. But I think the slowness of his healing mixed with how this car is eating up and spitting out other drivers really cooled his appetite for that.

and is in the process of skinning back the 23XI brain trust with a sizable bounty for the little guy.
I think MJ can afford it, but you go with that slaying the dragon crap.

Childress got the better end of the deal. He got to sell out his year with Reddick or is on the process of doing so to a team with deep pockets and needs a driver badly. Childress bought/signed a contract at close out prices with Kyle Busch who will finish higher and bring in more income than Reddick and Wallace next year. So if that is poor Childress so be it lol.
You did not take into consideration the cost of working with Kyle. It's not financial, but it will surely be felt.

Love this. Supporting your boy. Four wins in four years. Pretty much nowhere with the Next Gen....and poor Richie Not Rich gets the better end of the deal? Dude, is the "8" gear for next year even available?

You did not take into consideration the cost of working with Kyle. It's not financial, but it will surely be felt.
Oh no, it's all milk and honey. Didn't you see the press conference? :sarcasm:

I truly believe this was a situation where everyone wins. It's not all black and white, folks. 23XI got a damn good driver before it was really "proven" (with wins) that he was a damn good driver. Tyler Reddick signed a damn good driver deal before it was really "proven" (with wins) that he was a damn good driver. RC gets an elite driver for a bargain price. And Kyle gets a competitive car where no other options were really there for him. It's possible that Tyler doesn't win 3 races in 23XI equipment next season. And it's possible that RC and Kyle, two of the more volatile personalities in the garage, absolutely destroy each other. But as of today, I believe all parties involved are justifiably happy. Now everyone hug.

This is the brand Richard puts out there. The under dog. Self-made. Down to earth redneck. Not enough resources...as he sips his wine and books his convention hall. He wasn't battling Hendrick, Penske, or JGR for Tyler. He wanted to push Tyler around, and Tyler wasn't having it. Richard went public. Tyler keeps it classy. Denny said that Tyler was sought after, but that doesn't mean that there was a bidding war. Richard wants loyalty, but apparently is too stupid to understand that when you treat drivers like that, you aren't likely to get it.....and now he seeks loyalty in Kyle Busch. Good luck.
I am throwing out suggestions that MIGHT explain what transpired. You want to spout absolute answers that you cannot possibly know the truth of one way or another. Personally, I would have to say RC's brand is pretty spot on. He IS self made, well along with Dale Earnhardt, and he was a fatherless kid that grew up selling concessions at Bowman Gray Stadium. As late as 1981 he was buying used parts from Junior Johnson to keep his car on the track, A decade later he has four Cup titles. So what if he likes to make wine now? AND, in the world that Richard plays in, he IS one of the less affluent guys. As far as Denny, you used the term bidding war, I did not, but Denny seemed to indicate that other teams were taking a serious look. From that I draw the impression that Tyler was on the move no matter what, and I really don't think Denny is the bad guy on this one. If Reddick was that set on staying with RCR, he didn't have to take anyone's phone calls. I think he just won out on a game that was already in progress. Perhaps Allenbaba could offer some insight on that. I DO agree with his assessment that everybody came out alright on this deal, but only because Kyle basically had nowhere else to turn.

Back
Top Bottom