Silly Season 2023

I'm hearing Dodge is coming back with Petty & Evernham and KDB driving the 43.
1650983566391.png

Kyle may be insulted at a Gibbs offer. Perhaps this is about other drivers making a considerable amount more.

Kyle may be insulted at a Gibbs offer. Perhaps this is about other drivers making a considerable amount more.
That's the sponsorship issue again. Fat checks come from deep-pocketed sponsors. If Gibbs can't get someone to sign for what Mars was paying, whoever drives the #18 isn't going to make as much money. Doesn't matter if it's Kyle, Ty, or anyone else.

That's the sponsorship issue again. Fat checks come from deep-pocketed sponsors. If Gibbs can't get someone to sign for what Mars was paying, whoever drives the #18 isn't going to make as much money. Doesn't matter if it's Kyle, Ty, or anyone else.
The guys on DBC have repeatedly said (especially Brett, who handles business deals for a few drivers) that owners are really getting tight with driver contracts. Younger guys are coming in for $500k-1M a year versus the old guard commanding 7 figure salaries. That's another reason the old guys like Harvick and KyBu hate the new generation of drivers so much, they're destroying the negotiating leverage the drivers have.

Jeff Gordon adores
The guys on DBC have repeatedly said (especially Brett, who handles business deals for a few drivers) that owners are really getting tight with driver contracts. Younger guys are coming in for $500k-1M a year versus the old guard commanding 7 figure salaries. That's another reason the old guys like Harvick and KyBu hate the new generation of drivers so much, they're destroying the negotiating leverage the drivers have.
I don't see how he could mad at the drivers for taking those deals. That stems from the health/viewership of the sport having declined and with it sponsor revenue declined, so naturally it hurt the wallets of the drivers. If you're a Bowman or a Chastain type and you take lower deals because it's that or move back home and quit racing, then naturally they're stuck with the contract they're offered. Kyle should take issue with how the sport has been promoted for the past ten years instead of them.

One reason I’ve grown to enjoy the younger drivers verses some of the grumpy veterans in the Cup Series. The young guys understand they’re still making a ton of money and getting to follow their dreams

Then you got a few old drivers who think they’re so much more valuable than what the younger drivers are accepting… just retire already if it’s that bothersome

One reason I’ve grown to enjoy the younger drivers verses some of the grumpy veterans in the Cup Series. The young guys understand they’re still making a ton of money and getting to follow their dreams

Then you got a few old grumpy drivers who think they’re so much more valuable than what the younger drivers are accepting… just retire already if it’s that bothersome
I mean, their value WAS there in the heyday of the sport just because of how popular it was. Like, the veterans that were there around 2000, yeah, they were promotable and they were the product in a sport that was making money hand over fist, so I get wanting that cut.

Today it's a different environment. The marketing isn't what it was, the return on investment isn't as strong, the eyeball aren't there. So it's been adjusted accordingly. That doesn't mean for those guys that if the sport saw a huge upswing in growth again that the salaries wouldn't go back up too. But now Kyle Busch and these guys are old enough to where they won't be around for that swing again anyway now.

I expect some of the reasons they keep driving is for the adrenaline high. not wanting to give up the pinnacle of achievement, and the adulation from the fans.

I mean, their value WAS there in the heyday of the sport just because of how popular it was. Like, the veterans that were there around 2000, yeah, they were promotable and they were the product in a sport that was making money hand over fist, so I get wanting that cut.

Today it's a different environment. The marketing isn't what it was, the return on investment isn't as strong, the eyeball aren't there. So it's been adjusted accordingly. That doesn't mean for those guys that if the sport saw a huge upswing in growth again that the salaries wouldn't go back up too. But now Kyle Busch and these guys are old enough to where they won't be around for that swing again anyway now.

Absolutely. If it was still NASCARs mainstream peak which took place 15 years ago, then it makes perfect sense for that caliber of a driver to want a value like that. NASCAR and many drivers themselves were visible everywhere in stores and on various TV ads…even outside of the broadcast of a race. So it was easy to see this sport was bringing in the bucks then

But we are so far past that mainstream rise of this sport.

Yeah hopefully there’s another one somewhere, but that cannot be predicted well

I expect some of the reasons they keep driving is for the adrenaline high. not wanting to give up the pinnacle of achievement, and the adulation from the fans.
Say what you will about whether Kyle should run Truck or X races, but he sure ain't running them for the paycheck.

I might be the exception
cause I contacted that ad that says I can make $1500 an hour
last week I worked 103 hours and even sent in the $400 fee to rush my paycheck
I even gave them my bank routing numbers so I can get paid a day earlier
cant wait til I get $154k for working last week
could have had another 3 hours work, took time off to watch race

Kyle Busch to SHR makes perfect sense tbh. Dang I'll start having to root for Kyle Busch

I think 15 years ago all of the 40 guys regularly making the show were living a good life.

I doubt the bottom 15 guys racing cup today are making fantastic money from their racing. The ride buyers got their money somewhere else.... But a lot of them are certainly well-off

Just thought I’d add this website has KB as the current highest paid driver at $16.9 Million a year. Has Larson/Chase around $8 Million

And Preece will drive it on short tracks, road courses, superspeedways, and 1- to 2-mile ovals; dirt, concrete, and asphalt.

Sorry guys. I thought I would post something that was on topic and a valid statement. Carry on
It would make a difference if I knew who Daniel Kriete is and why his opinion is better informed than mine. From here he’s just another master of the obvious.

His guess is a good as any. I want Gragson to fill the spot myself. Who do you want to fill the spot Charlie?
Gragson getting a go in a SHR entry is really intriguing to me. Thats a really good idea.

I think this year is going to be crazy. What if Trackhouse, Kaulig, or 23xl suddenly adds another car, who's going to go there. These are all major teams
I think one of the big surprises of this season is how competitive these three teams are. We expected the new car would level the field some but nothing like this. (Austin Dillon is also a surprise, while we're at it.)

Just for giggles, let's say you're somebody like Kyle Busch (who's staying with Gibbs anyway). You have equal offers from those three teams. Which one do you go with?

Trackhouse. They just seem to have their act together better.

I think one of the big surprises of this season is how competitive these three teams are. We expected the new car would level the field some but nothing like this. (Austin Dillon is also a surprise, while we're at it.)

Just for giggles, let's say you're somebody like Kyle Busch (who's staying with Gibbs anyway). You have equal offers from those three teams. Which one do you go with?

Trackhouse. They just seem to have their act together better.
I'm not going there. There are plenty that will. His interest to me is if they get sponsors to cover him. Then the Kyle Story would get juicy if they find enough or are they going to use their business to business sponsors they are already using for Kyle's team in the trucks lol.

I hope Preece gets the #10. His story is a lot like Bowman's. He has raced with mediocre equipment to start his career. I think he'll do great things if he gets it. Give me Preece over Gragson any day.

Back
Top Bottom