Silly Season For 2017

I listened to Bagley and Pistone talk about how Biffle going to the Xfinty or Trucks wouldn't be a step down. Referenced Sadler as an example of a driver who rejuvenated his career by doing so. That right there would be a reason to not listen to those guys. Why in the hell would Biffle go "down" to those series? NASCAR is doing everything it can to limit Cuppers in the lower series, but somehow Biffle taking a ride from a young up and comer would be okay? Can't imagine The Biff driving again. Hello fork.

^ Rides in the B Main don't pay enough to cover Biffle's jet fuel bill.

NASCAR is doing everything it can to limit Cuppers in the lower series, but somehow Biffle taking a ride from a young up and comer would be okay?

I can articulate the distinction for you pretty easily. The rationale for the limitations on Cup drivers in lower series is because many (not all) were tired of seeing drivers with top Cup rides dominating the lower series every single week. That's the only reason it ever happened. It wasn't an age or even experience thing. It's more a let the minor league be the minor league. If Biffle took an Xfinity ride, it would obviously be because he couldn't find a desirable Cup ride.

I can articulate the distinction for you pretty easily. The rationale for the limitations on Cup drivers in lower series is because many (not all) were tired of seeing drivers with top Cup rides dominating the lower series every single week. That's the only reason it ever happened. It wasn't an age or even experience thing. It's more a let the minor league be the minor league. If Biffle took an Xfinity ride, it would obviously be because he couldn't find a desirable Cup ride.
And if he took a ride in the lower series he wouldn't be running for points in cup and so he wouldn't be a cup driver.

So you believe that his skills have diminished to the point where he could only succeed in the minor leagues? I thought the hope was to keep the developmental series for the up and comers. How would you feel about a worn out Cupper taking the title? That would be good?

And if he took a ride in the lower series he wouldn't be running for points in cup and so he wouldn't be a cup driver.

He wouldn't be a Cup driver in name only. Come on man. This is not the direction that the Trucks and/or Xfinity want to go. Elliott Sadler is a Cup driver, but we pretend that he is something different every week because generally speaking, people like him.

ooohhh ooooohhhh! I got it!
2018 BK Racing - Biffle and Sadler
2018 RPM - Almirola and insert young gun here
All in Dodges!

lol :XXROFL::headbang:

He wouldn't be a Cup driver in name only. Come on man. This is not the direction that the Trucks and/or Xfinity want to go. Elliott Sadler is a Cup driver, but we pretend that he is something different every week because generally speaking, people like him.
If you check out history, many of the cup drivers ended their careers in the lower series. Mind you they were not all millionaires in those days and many had to still earn a living. Everyone seemed happy when we thought Mark would leave Roush and drive in the truck series.
The problem with only having young guns is you have nothing to compare their skills against. Where are the challenges that helps them to up their skills? You do't have to give a ribbon to everyone who runs the race, that just encourages mediocrity.
One other thing to consider, back in the day there were 20 teams of one and two cars. Now all you have are cup teams getting in practice because Brian said limited practice and Junior trying to give his sister a business.

So you believe that his skills have diminished to the point where he could only succeed in the minor leagues? I thought the hope was to keep the developmental series for the up and comers. How would you feel about a worn out Cupper taking the title? That would be good?

Yes, that would be good. That's what the Truck Series was throughout the 2000's. The only "hope" is to get rid of full-time Cup drivers taking seats in the lower series. If Biffle has no Cup ride, then he should be welcome to pursue a ride in Trucks.

If I'm Greg Biffle, I would much rather compete for wins in Trucks or Xfin than finish 31st in Cup every week because there aren't any good seats available. I think Matt Crafton has a lot more fun every week than Reed Sorensen.

I listened to Bagley and Pistone talk about how Biffle going to the Xfinty or Trucks wouldn't be a step down. Referenced Sadler as an example of a driver who rejuvenated his career by doing so. That right there would be a reason to not listen to those guys. ...
I like Sadler as much as the next fan, but I'd hardly called his career 'rejuvenated'. If OneMain had stuck to its original plans and left the sport, he'd be looking for a sponsor and likely a ride. When your career is rejuvenated, rides come looking for you.

I don't think his skills have diminished as much as Cup teams would prefer someone with more years left in his career.

Developmental series need someone with skills for the up-and-comers to race against. Otherwise, they're not going to get any better.

CzgiCnKXUAMm9fJ.jpg:small

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...is-buescher-car-number-revealed-for-2017.html

I listened to Bagley and Pistone talk about how Biffle going to the Xfinty or Trucks wouldn't be a step down. Referenced Sadler as an example of a driver who rejuvenated his career by doing so. That right there would be a reason to not listen to those guys. Why in the hell would Biffle go "down" to those series? NASCAR is doing everything it can to limit Cuppers in the lower series, but somehow Biffle taking a ride from a young up and comer would be okay? Can't imagine The Biff driving again. Hello fork.
There's a difference between running the lower series because it's your best/only option and running the lower series to stroke your ego and pad your stats. And this is coming from a guy who likes Kyle Busch.

There's a difference between running the lower series because it's your best/only option and running the lower series to stroke your ego and pad your stats. And this is coming from a guy who likes Kyle Busch.

Just how is taking a ride from a young guy because you are washed up different from taking a ride because you love to race? It's not. This is my point. Somehow, it's okay with the Biff, and not for Kyle.

Just how is taking a ride from a young guy because you are washed up different from taking a ride because you love to race? It's not. This is my point. Somehow, it's okay with the Biff, and not for Kyle.
If Biffle runs for the Truck championship, I have no problem with it. The youngsters don't have a birthright to all of the good Truck and Xfinity rides, if I think a 47 year old Biffle has a better shot at delivering a championship than the latest 8th grader to show up at the track with a helmet, I'm going with Biff. As far as comparing this to Kyle, that's a major false equivalency. Kyle has a top ride in Cup, driving in Trucks and Xfinity is just a leisure activity for him.

Greg Biffle is not Elliot Sadler. He's not Johnny Sauter either.

He'll be in the dunes driving his sand buggies. He has more than one.

If Biffle runs for the Truck championship, I have no problem with it. The youngsters don't have a birthright to all of the good Truck and Xfinity rides, if I think a 47 year old Biffle has a better shot at delivering a championship than the latest 8th grader to show up at the track with a helmet, I'm going with Biff. As far as comparing this to Kyle, that's a major false equivalency. Kyle has a top ride in Cup, driving in Trucks and Xfinity is just a leisure activity for him.

I have no problem with Cup guys in Xfinity or Trucks, obviously. I have a problem with it being okay for one, and not the other. Biffle is a Cup driver. Biffle driving an Xfinity car or a Truck is a Cup guy in an Xfinity car or a Truck. Be okay with both, or hate both. I am okay with both. These are developmental series or they are not. Silly.

Kyle has a top ride in Cup, driving in Trucks and Xfinity is just a leisure activity for him.

You are saying that he doesn't have to drive, but chooses to? Doesn't do it for the money? Just loves to compete? Refreshing.

Yes, that would be good. That's what the Truck Series was throughout the 2000's. The only "hope" is to get rid of full-time Cup drivers taking seats in the lower series. If Biffle has no Cup ride, then he should be welcome to pursue a ride in Trucks.

If I'm Greg Biffle, I would much rather compete for wins in Trucks or Xfin than finish 31st in Cup every week because there aren't any good seats available. I think Matt Crafton has a lot more fun every week than Reed Sorensen.

Take a good look at the Cup coach lot. Then, look at the Truck "accommodations." Really? Biff wants to do that for three years? Really?

I really don't know what people want the Xfinity and Truck series to be. Biff full time in either series is worse IMO than Kyle tearing it up part time in either. Kyle is relevant. Biff in that context....not so much.

Greg Biffle is not Elliot Sadler. He's not Johnny Sauter either.

He'll be in the dunes driving his sand buggies. He has more than one.

Interesting prediction almost fit for the bold prediction thread if there were one yet. I'll give you a lot of credit if it turns out that way. For now I take him at his word that he wants to race and win somewhere, and it's strange that he would choose to answer a fan that way on Twitter if he's ready to go enjoy his riches.

I have no problem with Cup guys in Xfinity or Trucks, obviously. I have a problem with it being okay for one, and not the other. Biffle is a Cup driver. Biffle driving an Xfinity car or a Truck is a Cup guy in an Xfinity car or a Truck. Be okay with both, or hate both. I am okay with both. These are developmental series or they are not. Silly.
But if Biffle doesn't have a Cup ride for next year, he's no longer a Cup guy is he? If you can't see the difference between that situation and what Kyle does in the lower series, I can't help ya. Fortunately NASCAR is curbing some of that for 2017.

We should have a thread for weak stick and ball references.

You're comparing apples and oranges, man. The problem with Edwards, Busch in the Xfinity Series is that they had full time seats in the cup series. The goal was to sweep weekends and championships. If it's your only opportunity as is the case for the Biff, Sadler, and Morgan Shepard, it's completely different.

You're comparing apples and oranges, man. The problem with Edwards, Busch in the Xfinity Series is that they had full time seats in the cup series. The goal was to sweep weekends and championships. If it's your only opportunity as is the case for the Biff, Sadler, and Morgan Shepard, it's completely different.
I will give Carl credit, he doesn't run Buschfinitywide much anymore. He pretty much stopped when Cup guys could no longer run for a NW title.

What is the difference between a Cup guy who works on Sundays, and one who doesn't? This goes to the intent of the lower series. If they are developmental as so many suggests, Da Biff is done developing. If they are an open series, then come one, come all. Enough already with the teary "He doesn't have a ride" stuff. That is irrelevant to the intent of the series.

What is the difference between a Cup guy who works on Sundays, and one who doesn't? This goes to the intent of the lower series. If they are developmental as so many suggests, Da Biff is done developing. If they are an open series, then come one, come all. Enough already with the teary "He doesn't have a ride" stuff. That is irrelevant to the intent of the series.

It sounds like you just don't like old people in lower series'.

The Craftsman Truck Series and The Busch Series from the mid-90's to early-2000's had a solid core of vet regulars running. The problem came when you had one guy sweeping championships by a large number. It's simple: if you're racing in the Cup Series for a championship, the lower series take a back seat.

I really don't see what your on about here. Your fine with Kyle Busch dominating the series part time but have a problem with Biffle running in it full time? Biffle in either series will help the deveoplment of the younger drivers. They are not particularly developmental series though, yeah they have a few development drivers but also a fair mix of veterens to push those young drivers. Biffle would being experience and star power to either series which would be good for those series.

If that's your question, both X and Truck series are already chock full of older drivers. They've been there for years, but you haven't expressed a problem with them. Why is it okay for them to have a seat and not for Biffle?

I could see this being true if the competition were on a more level playing field, but let's face it, there are only 20 cars, at most, that can win on any given sunday. The days of average joes bringing competitive cars to the track are over. Today you need multimillion dollar teams with multiple engineers to compete. This means there are only a handful of competitive seats for veterans.

Back
Top Bottom