SiriusXM's NASCAR Radio - Today's, not so hidden, agenda.....

I just think it's stupid for people who are in the sport to portray a negative image of it. I guarantee there are plenty of impressionable people who already hate a racing package they havent seen based on what Kyle said and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I agree. Drive the damn car and entertain us race fans.

That's where my problem lies. I dont hate that Kyle said it.. but when it comes to perception of the sport from the point of view of a new fan that sort of talk is not good. I hope they can figure out what they need to in order to change the way people look at NASCAR.. Phelps said that is a goal of theirs and hopefully it works out.

I cant stand the "oh look another left turn!" type people.. but if one of them decided to give it a go and caught an interview where a champion of the sport says it requires no skill.. why would they think differently than it's just a bunch of cars turning left.

Slippery slope brother.....What does a new fan think when all of the players say the same thing? Some will buy in, and some will call bull****. I have said this before relative to 2014 when Kyle expressed elation over MY TRD motor....When it is right, he will let you know. IF then concern over his impact is true, imagine the momentum the sport will gain.

I'll just add that when I first started watching hardcore and became a fan, Tony Stewart was in the Home Depot car, and would full on bodyslam Goodyear and NASCAR.

In short, I thought it was awesome. :)

I'll just add that when I first started watching hardcore and became a fan, Tony Stewart was in the Home Depot car, and would full on bodyslam Goodyear and NASCAR.

In short, I thought it was awesome. :)

Boom. That is a good visual.....NASCAR trying to control Smoke.

I agree. Drive the damn car and entertain us race fans.

Apparently that isn't enough. NASCAR has been shoving driver personalities down our throats for several years now. Now they want to shove a single personality down our throats. I prefer a focus on the car, but I can't get that because of the target demographic Phelps says is no longer the priority. We shall see.

I get it. I do.

I'm just not a fan of drivers talking bad about the sport.

Then again, here we are.. a Logano fan and a Busch fan on opposing sides of a discussion about driver demeanor off the track...

:idunno:

Dave%2B1.JPG

Bigger shill: Moody or Choc? I'll take your answer off air instead of giving you the satisfaction of hanging up on me. Thanks!

Gotta respect Noble for making a call like that. There are still good journalists covering NASCAR, they're just few and far between.
Moody, and it ain’t close. It’s one thing to blindly defend everything NASCAR does, it’s quite another thing to belittle anyone in your audience who disagrees.

I don’t really see Choc as a shill. A bit of an RCR homer maybe, but not a shill.

That has to be difficult for a broadcaster....to tip-toe through the tulips to make sure you're always saying the right things. So much for the idea of "NASCAR has never once told me what to say." No wonder they get so defensive when they get called out about it.

wonder how many of ya can go to work and say what ya want to really say? Believe everything they tell ya on the news, and what they are printing in social media? I see many have opinions about the broadcasting, so knowing that and the way it is, why are some's head exploding?

That has to be difficult for a broadcaster....to tip-toe through the tulips to make sure you're always saying the right things. So much for the idea of "NASCAR has never once told me what to say." No wonder they get so defensive when they get called out about it.

Living on their knees — truly sad.

NASCAR propaganda has a darker side when they muzzle reporting.

Once they put reporters out to inform the audience, they have an ethical obligation to consider other viewpoints that aren’t abusive to others or the reporting process. If they want to hide behind corporate rules to not only control the narrative, but to destroy dissent — they become pure propagandist and should be disregarded.

Moody, and it ain’t close. It’s one thing to blindly defend everything NASCAR does, it’s quite another thing to belittle anyone in your audience who disagrees.

I don’t really see Choc as a shill. A bit of an RCR homer maybe, but not a shill.
The constant flip flopping and contradicting of himself that he does is unbelievable. Hello, do you not realize you have an audience of regulars that remembers the things you say? Not to mention they're all recorded. It's just such a bad look.

I wonder how many will do a twitter search and post a tweet some small press release when they are trying to deflect any comment posted on these forums that they believe paints NASCAR in negative light? Then forgetting that the new head of NASCAR, Steve Phelps, stated this in an interview:

“I think we were trying to search for that next-generation fan ... and I don’t think we listened to what the hardcore fan wanted"...

and on the state of NASCAR: "We probably lost our way".

LOL

yep some people can't tell the difference between a small time reporters efforts to create clicks and they slurp up anything written as verbatim from a reporter picking out out bits and pieces of a 20 minute interview while the main body of the article has been cut and pasted from ten other articles just like it. like duh they have been talking about alienating long time fans along with twenty other reason for almost ten years now, but it is good I guess for a new fan the first time they read it. like WOW! this is news.

The constant flip flopping and contradicting of himself that he does is unbelievable. Hello, do you not realize you have an audience of regulars that remembers the things you say? Not to mention they're all recorded. It's just such a bad look.
I really don't think the job pays much, and whenever I check FS1 there are usually two talking heads argueing about somebodies ankle injury. I never have taken much stock in the Nascar show. I paid for XM for a few years when I was on the road and it was usually the only way to hear a race. I thought at the time that the racing shows, morning shows ETC would be interesting and would be a bonus. After a coupe years I had narrowed it down to only a couple of shows and the races. They have different hosts now, but David rest his soul Toole would make Moody look like a saint IMO. I couldn't listen, same way, his way or the highway "the expert" all things Nascar.

Everything on Nascar is propaganda spin by the hosts.
France family owns MRN which produces the shows for SIRIUS XM
Bagley admitted the Nascar offices in Daytona Beach monitor the shows. Because he said the day David Poole died he got a call from Daytona. And his quote was " What did I say wrong now". He thought he was getting called on the carpet but they were calling to tell him about David. Bagley told the story his first day back after Pooles death.
Moody is a big ass bag. He won't argue a point with you he will dwell on something stupid like a mispronounced word and deflect from a real discussion or just hang up. Also many people called and said the chase should have driver eliminations at certain races. Just like now, but Moody was a smart ass and called that idea stupid and maybe we need snipers to shoot out the last place cars tires. That would be elimination also. But Nascar does it and of course old high integrity Dave loves it.
Also I read an article that said all broadcast networks had to supply a list of announcers to Nascar for their approval before they were allowed to broadcast a race. So if that is not controlling the narrative what is.
Also if anyone remembered the old speed channel show PIT BULL. The show got canceled because Nascar leaned on the SPEED NETWORK. Because the show would citizens Nascar.

I don't see a single reason why people can't be allowed to have a difference of opinion with NASCAR without being sent to a gulag. Yeah, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it, but if you're afraid of what somebody might say, that means you don't have the proper confidence in your position. I think NASCAR has rabbit ears because deep down in their soul they KNOW how much they have screwed this whole deal up, and it hurts to be reminded all of the time. When I find people like that, I like to apply the jumper cables and zap them every single chance I get. To error is human. To not own up to it and take your medicine is just being a jackass.

I am honestly surprised that some others are surprised that MRN (and many credentialed NASCAR journos) are basically state media. When I first got SiriusXM I gave it a shot for a few weeks and really just couldn't listen consistently without cringing at whatever Moody is screaming about this time. I rarely flip it on anymore unless it's a Friday and qualifying is going on during the way home or something.

Today it’s pit road.
My opinion is Harvick is wrong about making all pit roads uniform HOWEVER....... I think the time has come for rev limiters.
Personally, a speeding penalty adds zero drama to the race for me. Pit road speed limits were enacted for safety, not to add any trumped up Chocolate drama to the race.
Also Justin from Michigan? is a beast!!
He told Bagley FU not once, but twice, before being cut off!!!
:cheers:

Two things here. One, NASCAR is always wary of adding new tech to the cars for cost reasons, and for the possibility of someone exploiting that technology for their own advantage, such as using it to make an anti-lock brake system. Second, I think NASCAR likes to keep things that require skill and makes people more responsible for themselves instead of having it done for them. I think that's why we still have five lugnuts, dump cans, and a H pattern transmission instead of paddle shift. If the drivers weren't trying to push the cushion they already get from NASCAR on the pit road speed down to the last tenth of a mile per hour, they wouldn't get caught speeding.

Two things here. One, NASCAR is always wary of adding new tech to the cars for cost reasons, and for the possibility of someone exploiting that technology for their own advantage, such as using it to make an anti-lock brake system. Second, I think NASCAR likes to keep things that require skill and makes people more responsible for themselves instead of having it done for them. I think that's why we still have five lugnuts, dump cans, and a H pattern transmission instead of paddle shift. If the drivers weren't trying to push the cushion they already get from NASCAR on the pit road speed down to the last tenth of a mile per hour, they wouldn't get caught speeding.

What could a speed limit on pit road possibly have to do with racing skills?
Again. Pit road speed limits were instituted for safety reasons. They were not instituted to improve the product that we watch on the weekends. I can’t stand Denny Hamlin but I would much rather have seen races where he wasn’t penalized for speeding and taken out of the competition. It’s ridiculous.
It’s time has come and gone.
As far as technology on these cars I think that Genie has been out of the bottle for a long time.
Trust me. I am his old school as they come. Maybe that’s the reason why I don’t want to see this crap on pit road.

What could a speed limit on pit road possibly have to do with racing skills?

Well, it takes skill to do it by using nothing but a throttle and a tachometer. Yes, it was instituted for safety reasons, and no it has nothing to do with improving the product, but it's a simple rule, and it's simple to follow without interjecting a bunch of wiz bang technology. The problem is not the rule, the problem is the drivers that can't control themselves.

Well, it takes skill to do it by using nothing but a throttle and a tachometer. Yes, it was instituted for safety reasons, and no it has nothing to do with improving the product, but it's a simple rule, and it's simple to follow without interjecting a bunch of wiz bang technology. The problem is not the rule, the problem is the drivers that can't control themselves.
yep, and they give them 5 mph over and they still blow it sometimes. takes more skill to win a race than other series where the car almost drives itself..with the help of plenty of engineers and sensors on the car, and 9 or ten in the pits like trained monkeys and no way to speed. I am not impressed with that way compared to Nascar's way myself. Some people want to take all of the possibility of driver error out of the sport. Paddle shifting is for sissy's along with pit road rev limiters IMO.

Drivers can lose spots if they don't run into the 5 mph buffer between pit road speed and enforced speed.

Well, I guess they have to choose their poison then don't they? Risk losing a position, or risk losing laps.

yep, and they give them 5 mph over and they still blow it sometimes. takes more skill to win a race than other series where the car almost drives itself..with the help of plenty of engineers and sensors on the car, and 9 or ten in the pits like trained monkeys and no way to speed. I am not impressed with that way compared to Nascar's way myself. Some people want to take all of the possibility of driver error out of the sport. Paddle shifting is for sissy's along with pit road rev limiters IMO.

Sissy? (insert eyeroll) It's not about manhood. It's just a contrived gimmick.
As far as technology goes, I have advocated for less tech and more standard tools on pit road.
That being said I feel exactly opposite when it comes to the machines themselves. How about if we add the rev limiter and take away the splitter and spoiler? I'd be all for that! That would separate the men from the boys.
Also get rid of the power steering. Would there be a man left who could drive the car?

Safety of those on pit road is always a concern, but even those series with tech such as pit lane speed limiters still manage to have incidents and violations committed on pit road. The reality is probably that pit road is what it is - NASCAR has already done a lot to protect pit members - and any other sort of 'fix' probably would cost too much for what really wouldn't be that much of a gain.

This just in..... Racing is dangerous.

People are going to get hurt on pit road as long as they are running out in front of and around moving cars.

I will tell you why Nascar will never go to a pit road speed limiters. Because then Nascar would lose one their unannounced but known within the garage punishments. If at team or driver gets on Nascar's sh** list well it is a good chance you will get a speeding penalty.
And before everyone says I am crazy and a conspiracy loon. Did you know that Nascar will not let the networks show speed telemetry on pit road. The networks show it constantly all around the track but not on pit road. And that is not me saying it. It was in Athlon Sports Nascar season preview issue from 5 or so years ago.

Also Justin from Michigan? is a beast!!
He told Bagley FU not once, but twice, before being cut off!!!

Epic. He didn't enter that call an a**hole. He was very mellow, but when those idiots started their belittling of him, he wasn't having it. I want to buy that guy a beer so bad. Then, like the wimpy asses they are, they belittle the guy even more after they cut him off, and he can't respond. Even went into the next day. Jerk off stuff, really.

I am curious, give me the cliffnotes version. What was Justin from Michigan talking about when the AssHats went off?

I have had Moody hang up on me and never argue a person's point. He will focus on the dumbest stuff and deflect the real topic of the call.
The Nascar radio hosts never want to talk with anyone who has a different view point and is articulate.

I will tell you why Nascar will never go to a pit road speed limiters. Because then Nascar would lose one their unannounced but known within the garage punishments. If at team or driver gets on Nascar's sh** list well it is a good chance you will get a speeding penalty.
And before everyone says I am crazy and a conspiracy loon. Did you know that Nascar will not let the networks show speed telemetry on pit road. The networks show it constantly all around the track but not on pit road. And that is not me saying it. It was in Athlon Sports Nascar season preview issue from 5 or so years ago.

The way the pit road speeding penalties are calculated, the telemetry wouldn't show you anything anyway. The pit road speeds are a function of time over distance. All the telemetry shows you is a snapshot of the cars MPH at any given second. You can be going 75 MPH for a small part of a segment, and STILL not be speeding if you were slow enough everywhere else. Showing it would be meaningless. I think it's a stupid system, but for some reason, that's how NASCAR chooses to do it. I would eliminate the segment lines and go to a penalty for exceeding the pit road speed (MPH) at ANY point on pit road, and there would be no cushion.

The way the pit road speeding penalties are calculated, the telemetry wouldn't show you anything anyway. The pit road speeds are a function of time over distance. All the telemetry shows you is a snapshot of the cars MPH at any given second. You can be going 75 MPH for a small part of a segment, and STILL not be speeding if you were slow enough everywhere else. Showing it would be meaningless. I think it's a stupid system, but for some reason, that's how NASCAR chooses to do it. I would eliminate the segment lines and go to a penalty for exceeding the pit road speed (MPH) at ANY point on pit road, and there would be no cushion.

And there lies the problem. Nascar says it is for safety and yet as your scenario proves they can still go above the limit

I agree with you on a penalty for exceeding pit road speed. Sounds too simple for NASCAR though. I will disagree that it is meaningless to show the telemetry. Wouldn't be too difficult for a casual fan to sense when the driver should be busted for speed. Just once I would like to see the actual speed these drivers run down pit road and how they manage the different segments.

I am curious, give me the cliffnotes version. What was Justin from Michigan talking about when the AssHats went off?

I have had Moody hang up on me and never argue a person's point. He will focus on the dumbest stuff and deflect the real topic of the call.
The Nascar radio hosts never want to talk with anyone who has a different view point and is articulate.

If it's the same poster (pretty sure it is), he called in about pit lane speed limiters. He is a Porsche club racer, and actually his demeanor was quite respectful and nice. However the two bimbos were are on roll, and Justin wasn't having it. Made my heart swell with pride that he slipped the FU in there. This also speaks to the juvenile production of this channel. One job.

Glad to see someone gets it. People seem to relate speeding to what would be read on a radar gun when it comes to pit road. They fail to comprehend that it's calculated only between the segment timing lines and not in any given instant. Telemetry on pit road would be useless and that's why they don't bother to show it.

I know it is time and distance is how Nascar figures a driver is speeding. When Montoya got busted way back in the day when he was dominant at the Brickyard. The top Nascar official came on Nascar radio and explained that it is really time of distance. He also said a driver could speed in one segment and give it back in another.
So is it not a little misleading when the networks say a driver was 1 mph over when they should really show his time. Even Nascar in there penalty call uses speed. So again is that not misleading and disingenuous. The point I was making about Nascar telling the networks what they can and can't show is a lack of transparency for the sport. We should all want to networks to be allowed to show all they deem important especially penalties.

Back
Top Bottom