SPEED relaunch as FOX Sports 1 looks destined to happen

FOX has NFL and MLB contracts so you know they're gonna make shows for both of those sports. As long as I can still see the truck races, practice, qualifying, race hub and pre-race show I think I'll be ok. As its already been mentioned but I think NBC sports will pick up anything racing related FOX doesn't want.....at least I hope so.

I still want the NASCAR network!

FOX has NFL and MLB contracts so you know they're gonna make shows for both of those sports. As long as I can still see the truck races, practice, qualifying, race hub and pre-race show I think I'll be ok. As its already been mentioned but I think NBC sports will pick up anything racing related FOX doesn't want.....at least I hope so.

I think they're going to put their SportsCenter killer in RaceHub's time slot.

FS1 just picked up Bill Raftery as one of their college basketball analysts. He's supposedly going to be partnered up with Gus Johnson. What an awesome duo. FS1 is going to blow the doors off of ESPN in due time.

There's only one network I can think of that has a place for NASCAR and would actually want to air the Kyle Busch Series.

FS1 just picked up Bill Raftery as one of their college basketball analysts. He's supposedly going to be partnered up with Gus Johnson. What an awesome duo. FS1 is going to blow the doors off of ESPN in due time.

And ESPN doesn't even know it's coming. They've been dismissive of FS1, thinking they'll eat up NBCSN and CBS Sports Network. Boy do they have something coming.

How do you act like that on TV and not get fired?

Well, they bleeped out the cuss words, and it seemed like honest criticism of his viewers. One just has to look at the comments here and on the Speed, ESPN and NASCAR websites and imagine what kind of crap Dave Despain gets in his inbox. Plus, it was the last weekly show of the season and could have been tongue-in-cheek.

Hope Fox 1 is an improvement. Sure getting tired of speed with nights and days full of four year old re runs. Not looking forward to stick and ball, I don't consider those sports, hoping for more racing, dirt tracks, asphalt, probably won't happen though, but one can wish. Way too many goofy stick and ball experts programs as it is.

Hope Fox 1 is an improvement. Sure getting tired of speed with nights and days full of four year old re runs. Not looking forward to stick and ball, I don't consider those sports, hoping for more racing, dirt tracks, asphalt, probably won't happen though, but one can wish. Way too many goofy stick and ball experts programs as it is.

yep.....but way too much stick/ball comin w/ fs1 too. $$$$$$
rip....speed channel...mo like it ! big despain fan fer yrs ! will finally give me a reason ta cancel that higher tier an entire hbo/sho/etc movie package.
crap on it now too.

maybe cspan only....an just argue w/ whizz in podium ! sad thoughts huh! ha!

I dont think Fox Sports 1 is going to legitimately challenge ESPN for quite some time.

Same here. I think people might be underestimating just how popular ESPN is.

I also think people might be underestimating how much people want a legitimate challenger to ESPN. The combined threat of FOX Sports 1 and NBC Sports Network could be lethal. FOX News Channel became popular because there was a perception that CNN was biased and people desperately wanted a different view. FOX came in, offering a "alternative perspective" and became the most watched newschannel in America. And nobody saw it coming.

ESPN is biased. They sensationalize certain players, prop up certain teams and certain markets and ignore major developments. They had minimal coverage of Jason Leffer's fatal crash - a story that was in the lead block on every national news network. In other words, they ignored a significant news story in the world of sports to focus on Tim Tebow and Lebron James. They give preference to Boston, New York, Dallas and Los Angeles (and the Miami Heat for obvious reasons) while ignoring other markets altogether. They have such a blatant dislike for teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars (because ESPN wants them in Los Angeles:rolleyes:Not happening deal with it). If Chris Davis was playing for the New York Yankees or Texas Rangers, he'd be the top story every single hour on SportsCenter.

All in all, sports fans are actually frustrated with ESPN and would welcome FOX Sports 1.

If FOX Sports 1's football show had analysis of every team and not just New England, Dallas, Baltimore, Green Bay and whoever Tim Tebow's sits on the bench for (he's a benchwarmer for New England now so I guess that works out for ESPN:rolleyes:), I'd watch it. It used to frustrate me beyond belief when I'd sit there and watch three hours of football highlights and not see as much as a final score for the Jacksonville Jaguars (before I discovered DirecTV and Sunday Ticket - up yours ESPN).

If FOX Sports 1's baseball show has highlights from every team, I'd watch. Personally, it amused the piss out of me last year how the Orioles made the playoffs and ESPN never knew it was coming (because the Orioles weren't on their pre-season "this is a team we follow" script).

SportsCenter quit being a sports highlights show long ago. Now, SportsCenter is nothing more than the MSNBC of sports. Biased, one-sided and a whole lot of talk on a very narrow range of subjects.

They got too big. And it's time for Bristol to burn.

Hell, ESPN even uses MSNBC's graphics. Kind of makes my point for me. :XXROFL:

espnandmsnbc.jpg

I read that in September, FS1 will have "at least" 3 football games on Saturdays. Better hope ESPN is covering the full gamut of NASCAR activity because that's the whole schedule. Not much left for any racing. Also, what is happening with Sportcars? Looks like the new series won't be on FS1 unless they stop racing at Labor Day.

I liked Wind Tunnel back when it was weeknights. My voice was on the air a few times. The 1 hour edition was fine too, but the 1/2 hour was just a clip show and 2 interviews. The writing was on the wall. The main thing I hate to see go is that there is literally nowhere left where there is any real journalism about NASCAR or really any motorsports now. NASCAR keeps all the journalists under their thumb with fear of losing their hard cards and now nobody will care enough to cover the other series on a news show unless somebody dies.

On the wind tunnels third or fourth show Dave Despain said that "he was a motorcycle guy all the way and didn't get nascar racings round and round boredom with a bunch of drunks cheering them on" and he was serious so I quit watching the jerk.

Wind Tunnel died when they stopped taking calls and shortened it to 30 minutes. I hope another network is smart enough to hire Dave and bring the same format to their airwaves.

Wind Tunnel died when they stopped taking calls and shortened it to 30 minutes. I hope another network is smart enough to hire Dave and bring the same format to their airwaves.
A motorcycle network.

Same here. I think people might be underestimating just how popular ESPN is.
Not the popularity so much as market dominance. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC Sports, and ESPNNews are quite a combo.

ESPN will still carry the majority of college athletics, which are the mainstay of their live coverage(its doubtful many college basketball or football games make their way from the RSNs to the Fox Sports channel). ESPN still has NFL and MLB contractual rights. ESPN also has NBA rights.

Fox Sports will have to trade automotive programming for ball and stick sports programming if they want to be a serious sports station. Speedvision had a broad range of programming covering speed related stuff (planes, boats, cars). Fox bought it, changed the name to SpeedTV and I thought they went over board with NASCAR related programming.

As Weaver pointed out I miss the fun of the Inside Winston Nextal Cup program. And for some reason I watch that silly Pass Time for a couple runs every time I come across it while surfing (I'm getting better at picking times now).

I know this is out of left field, but quite honestly...I could see the new Fox network try to pick up professional wrestling.

I know this is out of left field, but quite honestly...I could see the new Fox network try to pick up professional wrestling.
not to me it isn't..they are showing soccer in their ads. Just another clone, just like the networks morning shows..screaming we're different when they are not. I have low expectations and high hopes for more and different racing, but wrestling goofs won't surprise me, they have that cage fighting stuff all lined up.

I think they will look at pro wrestling because the shows run on Monday and Friday nights. On monday nights, it goes up against the likes of Monday Night Football and prime time TV and still pulls decent ratings. They could put that in slot and get more viewers than what lame duck they would normally put there to get slaughtered in the ratings. Friday nights arent a night for viewers in the classical sense(although since the advent of DVR this isnt as much of an issue).

The WWE's deal with USA for Monday Night Raw is up next fall, and the deal with SyFy for SmackDown is up this September.

If it isn't on there, there will be a clone of the show I bet. cheap programming rules the day. There isn't a new idea in the bunch, it looks like the rest of them pretty much, be watching a re run of the high school playoffs before ya know it. I sure hope not. Love to see the world of outlaws, midget racing, dirt track motorcycles, K&N. ARCA, V8 supercars, rally racing, but will probably get kickball, baseball, football, and of course don't forget cricket.o_O

It's confirmed Fuel TV is also relaunching as Fox Sports 2 on August 17.

Yeah, that was reported alongside the Speed announcement, I think. Personally, I'd make Fuel TV and Fox Soccer Net my Fox Sports 1 and 2, but whatever. Admittedly, as a non-soccer fan it's easy for me to tell them to take away somebody else's channel.

I live in a fantasy world. I thought when speed was bought, it would be improved. Replace all the bad attempts, faster then a redneck, hard parts, car warriors, 4 year old re runs of wrecked? etc. Insert more racing. not make a clone network copying other stick and ball that there are already plenty of. They will be surprised when after the new wears off to find that all they have accomplished is slicing the pie. there are only so many that stare at stick and ball, about like Nascar trying everything to attract more fans, instead of taking care of the fans they have.

Not the popularity so much as market dominance. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC Sports, and ESPNNews are quite a combo.

ESPN will still carry the majority of college athletics, which are the mainstay of their live coverage(its doubtful many college basketball or football games make their way from the RSNs to the Fox Sports channel). ESPN still has NFL and MLB contractual rights. ESPN also has NBA rights.

What would be a huge coup for FS1 is if in 2016 they get the rights to Big Ten athletics. Look at all of the big-name universities and large alumni bases they have and the quality programming they provide. Fox already owns a 49% stake in the Big Ten Network so it would make sense. The PAC-12 and Big 12 are nice but that could potentially be huge.

I dont think that will happen.

Not with the ACC/Big Ten challenge being such a huge event, and much of the ESPN basketball lineup being based around those two conferences. The first two rounds of the Big Ten tournament are also split between ESPN and the BTN.

ESPN will keep big money to keep them. FOX should focus on the PAC 12, SEC, Big XII, and mid majors, many of whom they already cover extensively through their RSNs.

The big sports channel here in Canada, TSN, airs national spelling bees. Yes, spelling bees!!!

The big sports channel here in Canada, TSN, airs national spelling bees. Yes, spelling bees!!!

I believe ESPN2 airs the big national spelling bee. At like 2am after it airs. Or at least they used too. I should know because I think I was up late one night watching NHRA qualifying on ESPN2 and it was on after that.

I believe ESPN2 airs the big national spelling bee. At like 2am after it airs. Or at least they used too. I should know because I think I was up late one night watching NHRA qualifying on ESPN2 and it was on after that.
Yeah. I always found that really weird.

Yeah, Spike's right on this one. I checked this year and the finals were on at 8pm-10pm on ESPN.

Nah, it gets shown in primetime.
And heavily promoted on ESPN Radio's flagship 'Mike and Mike' show.

There's plenty of room on Speed / FS1 for stick and ball if they drop the crappy reality and lifestyle programming. Thank the racing gods we won't have to put up with any more ads for 'Redneck'.

Speaking of programs I never watched or cared about, anybody know where Barrett-Jackson will wind up?

Back
Top Bottom