SPEED relaunch as FOX Sports 1 looks destined to happen

just watched 30 min fs1 promo on speed.
showed all fs1 broadcast teams ---all stick-n-ball sports....even ufc........ plus mike tyson....regis philbin...mush/etc
but ........no race broadcasters in whole group ? maybe no contracts signed yet ?

sounds like nascar's gonna get "red headed stepchild" treatment......just like at espn.
in fact...whole promo looks like fs1 is usin espn biz model.

I'm not too worried. FOX has a prominent baseball and football presence and is going to use it to help tear in to ESPN whereas NBCSN is establishing a powerful motorsports presence.

I've said for a while it's not just FS1 that ESPN's got to be worried about, it's the combined threat of FS1, FS2, NBCSN and CBS' sports channel. ESPN seems to think those three networks are going to compete against each other when that's not really the case.

Color me surprised.

and if NASCAR is ESPN's red headed stepchild, dare I ask what NHRA is?

magnet-----ha! at least espn usually tape delays nhra finals on sunday nites........ durin summer anyway.
nationwide sat. ........forget about it.

I'm not too worried. FOX has a prominent baseball and football presence and is going to use it to help tear in to ESPN whereas NBCSN is establishing a powerful motorsports presence.

I've said for a while it's not just FS1 that ESPN's got to be worried about, it's the combined threat of FS1, FS2, NBCSN and CBS' sports channel. ESPN seems to think those three networks are going to compete against each other when that's not really the case.

yeah......fs1 young demo market fight w/ espn is what i figure. maybe they'll drop new fs1 into basic tier......an i can drop hbo/sho/tmc/starz/etc old movie package too ?

Drop about 20 yippiee yorkies off in GITMO and have them just ****** cry with their pathetic high pitch bark all day. That'd be a more effective form of torture than waterboarding.

The United States Golf Association, the governing body of the game of golf in the United States, and FOX Sports, the No. 1 network for sports television since 1997, today announced a comprehensive multi-media agreement that makes the FOX network and FOX Sports 1 the principal domestic media partner of the USGA and the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open Championships, as well as the USGA’s national amateur championships and other live content, beginning in 2015. The landmark, 12-year agreement, which runs through 2026, brings premier major championship golf for the first time ever to the FOX broadcast network, home to the country’s greatest sports events, including the Super Bowl, World Series, Daytona 500 and World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/usga-fox-sports-deal-us-open-2015-agreement-12-years-080713

I bet NBC isn't too happy about this, since they have a whole network devoted to Golf and all.

I would think so too since it looks like they won't have any majors through 2018. Nice coup for FOX since the tournament is currently split by ESPN and NBC.

Huge get for FOX. Golf gets enormous ratings, though I don't know why.

Bristol's burning. And they don't even know it. ESPN better be working to get exclusive rights to NBA, even if it means ousting TNT. If they continue to be ****y, FOX will take the NBA away from them.

Golf gets big ratings because millions love to play and watch golf. Simple concept. Many golf fans would wonder why anyone would watch racing. Simple concept.

Huge get for FOX. Golf gets enormous ratings, though I don't know why.

Bristol's burning. And they don't even know it. ESPN better be working to get exclusive rights to NBA, even if it means ousting TNT. If they continue to be ****y, FOX will take the NBA away from them.

better explain----bristol conn. ----not tenn. ha!

Maybe I've missed the news on here but I've been reading and hearing that.....

FOX Sports 1 has not yet reached a deal with three of the four largest TV providers in the U.S.—Time Warner Cable, Dish Network and DirecTV.

Typically, carriage deals like FOX Sports 1’s get finalized in the days leading up to or just after a channel’s launch, according to the network’s official website.

I hope I'm not going to be missing some truck races and other programming while Dish strikes their deal and decides how much to increase my monthly bill.

I hope I'm not going to be missing some truck races and other programming while Dish strikes their deal and decides how much to increase my monthly bill.
Ditto with Direct TV.

Reading that.....

If DirecTV and FS1 don't reach a deal, possible that Speed remains on DirecTV w/reruns of old shows to fulfill contract.

Reading that.....
If DirecTV and FS1 don't reach a deal, possible that Speed remains on DirecTV w/reruns of old shows to fulfill contract.

Looking ahead at the guide for August 17th there is no NASCAR scheduled on Speed that day. I really hope they get a deal hammered out.

Is the ARCA series still gonna be on, or is there tv time done.

Some FS2 stuff that just became official:

FUEL TV will be rebranded as FOX Sports 2 starting August 17. The new network will feature live fights, weigh-ins, UFC Ultimate Insider and more. FOX Sports 2 is an extension of FOX Sports 1 that features live coverage of sporting events and connects with fans through entertaining studio shows and original programming.

You’ll see a variety of programs that ran on FUEL TV carry over to FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2, including the Red Bull X-Fighters World Freestyle Motocross Tour, the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championships, and more.

http://prommanow.com/2013/08/05/ufc-on-fox-sports-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fox-sports-1-2/

That's definitely what it's looking like so far.

Unless it's what I've said about MMA all along - cheap to produce with plenty of advertising regardless of ratings - why keep doing this? UFC around the clock didn't expand FUEL's presence on television or move it to more cable outlets at all - whereas NASCAR got SPEED AND FX on to basic cable on just about every cable provider in the country.

I'm optimistic about FS1 taking ESPN down - but the rest, not so much. FOX doesn't care about NASCAR as much as I thought they did.

FOX Sports 2 should just be renamed "UFC Network".

Unless it's what I've said about MMA all along - cheap to produce with plenty of advertising regardless of ratings - why keep doing this? UFC around the clock didn't expand FUEL's presence on television or move it to more cable outlets at all - whereas NASCAR got SPEED AND FX on to basic cable on just about every cable provider in the country.

I'm optimistic about FS1 taking ESPN down - but the rest, not so much. FOX doesn't care about NASCAR as much as I thought they did.

MMA not UFC. MMA is to Motorsports as UFC is to Nascar. I say this because it is my understanding that Fuel shows more than just UFC organized MMA programing. Why does Fox care about MMA so much? Because it is the fastest growing sport in the US with a HUGE international presence. Reason MMA hasnt really helped Fuel get into more homes is because the content they show is on par with Arca and Formula 1 races that speed carries. Sure the average motorsports fan would like to watch it, but the average Nascar fan probably not. Same with the MMA programing on Fuel. The average MMA fan probably loves it, but the average UFC fan not so much. If Fox really wanted to use MMA/UFC to get Fuel in more homes then they would probably get contracted to actually show UFC mainevents on the network. That is probably what they will do with Fox Sports 1 and 2.

FOX doesn't care about NASCAR as much as I thought they did.

I think FOX cares as much about Nascar as they do now. I just think they will spread it over 3 networks like ESPN does now. We will have to go between three Fox networks to get our fix. I think the breakdown will go a little like this.

FOX - Cup Races, maybe an occasional NNS race.
FS1 - Cup races, some NNS races, Cup Qual, maybe an occasional Truck race
FS2 - Cup practices, Cup Qual, some NNS races, NNS qual, majority of the Truck races.

I read that FOX does have some deals in place to guarantee content on channels like FS2 but the only thing they mentioned specifically were FIFA World Cup rights, and those don't go into effect until the 2015 women's Cup. They don't get the men's tournament until 2018. So I guess in the meantime they are looking for a lot of filler programming.

Looking ahead at the guide for August 17th there is no NASCAR scheduled on Speed that day. I really hope they get a deal hammered out.

Wow, I just assumed that if you already had Speed FS1 would just take it's place in the line up? I am now guessing this is not the case? I just looked forward on my Guide as well and on the 17th show nothing but speed original programing. No truck races, not cup practice, nadda. hmmm.....I might not like this.

I think FOX cares as much about Nascar as they do now. I just think they will spread it over 3 networks like ESPN does now. We will have to go between three Fox networks to get our fix. I think the breakdown will go a little like this.

FS2 - Cup practices, Cup Qual, some NNS races, NNS qual, majority of the Truck races.

Last week they came out with some specifics:

FOX - 9 Cup races
FS1 - 7 Cup races, 14 Nationwide races, all Truck races

I don't know how much of qualifying and practice, if any, will go to FS2...some entities like MLB had it written into their rights agreements that content won't be on FS2.

Trucks and Nationwide are on FOX Sports 1. Doesn't seem like this contract is as flexible as what ESPN's contract was.

One reason they might do it is to get more content on Fox Sports 2, which could be mutually beneficial to both entities. Fox Sports 2 is positioned to be like ESPN2 I would imagine.

It would be a perfect landing spot for qualifying and the truck series.

Another reason why trucks and some NNS races might be moved to FS2 is when FS1 signs more sporting content the network will get more crowded.

Back
Top Bottom