Spin out on purpose?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Turtle84, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

Did I see what I thought I saw and Bubba brought out the caution on purpose? That was my initial reaction when I saw him toying with the banking line.

2. Speedbowl14

Speedbowl14 Ryan Preece and short tracks

Yeah that's what I thought as well from the replay. No need for that nonsense at this level (or any level of racing).

Bubba better have a real reason or something we don't know/didn't hear about. I'm not a US court. I make my own darn opinions. Unless I hear otherwise, he's guilty until proven innocent of purposely spinning out. That's real ****** on him.

FLRacingFan and Turtle84 like this.
  3. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

I've never driven a stock car with a flat tire. I'm sure it ain't easy, but I still believe they intentionally spin the car out quite often.

4. Fordracing7

Fordracing7 2018 Pick em Champion

It definitely looked like an on-purpose spin-out by Bubba. Also a few weeks ago it definitely looked like Bowyer did as well. It seems to happen more often days.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  5. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

Found replay, it's cut a little short

6. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Fake caution.

7. Switchback

Switchback Team Owner

They do it all the time. Usually they just stop till the yellow flies than magically get it going again.

8. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Logano did it last week to reduce the impact of losing positions. Bubba did the same this week, did anyone complain about it last week?

Its nothing new in the game, it maybe seen as a bad sporting move, but at the end of the day NASCAR is going to throw the yellow flag for it.

sdj likes this.
  9. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

It just helps not to be so obvious about it. ;)

10. Ford 222

Ford 222 Team Owner

Why did he do it? Keep from going a lap down? Apologies for a dumb question, I had to watch race in FF.

11. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

12. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I wonder how many races Larson has "ruined" with all of the cautions he has brought out. :D Quit crying ya bunch of cry babies

13. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

I always enjoy a round of whataboutism.

DanicaFreak and Charlie Spencer like this.
  14. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

NASCAR HAS penalized teams in the past for doing this, although usually the penalty came during the race I remember Terry Labonte getting nabbed for this at maybe North Wilkesboro in the late 80's when he was drive for Junior.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  15. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

And Jr got busted for bragging about it on the radio - years ago.

16. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Even if has been previously tolerated, it needs to be stopped. We should not be cursed to eternally accept the BS due to past mistakes.

They may not be able to prove every case but the obvious ones should be punished.

FLRacingFan, Switchback and Turtle84 like this.
  17. Matthew2470

Matthew2470 Filthy Casual

Dale Jr did it at Bristol maybe 10 years ago. No one said a word. haha

18. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Players fake injuries in the NFL to stop the clock. Players in basketball intentionally fall to the ground to draw foul shots. Players in the NFL fall to the ground to draw a Personal Foul penalty. Drivers spin out to draw a caution that benefits themselves or their teammates.

This is nothing new in sports.

I hate it and I think it should always draw a penalty of its own, but you have to prove intent first.

I'm really starting to not like Kyle Larson.

I'm 100% sure he's intentionally drawn a caution before. Everyone in racing has at some point.

RacerrecaR likes this.
  19. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

He did. Got penalized a lap for it. Eldora 2016 truck race.

20. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

It's OK for Kyle because he just uses Carl Long's car instead of his own to do so.

21. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Uh, you sure about that? I recall quite a few fans, probably Gordon fans that did.

StandOnIt likes this.
  22. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

I guess the bigger question is, why has this ever been acceptable practice? Professionals bringing out the caution on purpose so they can catch back up? Forgive me for saying, that's a total BS move by the driver. It needs to be discouraged by being penalized when it's abundantly obvious. It seems NASCAR has selectively let this go when they view it in their favor for having a caution.

That's the problem I see, they want the caution, depending on who it is who it affects who's in the lead and timing with the flow of the race, so they will not be big on enforcement on those times. That's what it looks like to me anyway...can't say that I'm surprised. Just my thoughts.

23. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Excellent post

24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I guess they are going to need a fake spin indicator in their cars now. Take the guesswork out of it.

25. Switchback

Switchback Team Owner

Exactly, Nascar knows cautions bring excitement. Unless rain is coming or the leaders are door to door, they take every chance they can get for a reset.
    It's So obvious when the race is stretched out and they throw the flag for someone getting up in the marbles, but the next week the battle for the lead is nose to nose with a couple laps left and they don't throw it for a spin as long as the car gets going again.

FLRacingFan and Turtle84 like this.
  26. Nitro Dude

Nitro Dude Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

Damn! water boy sure is bringing the King a lot of bad looking press lately.

Brentford and Ventisca like this.
  27. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

That would be hilarious, red siren goes off based on steering angle and telemetry

StandOnIt likes this.
  28. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

NASCAR can access all of the driver’s inputs for every car for every practice session, qualifying and an entire race.

So there’s that.

Turtle84 and LewTheShoe like this.
  29. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

Also mostly good results.

30. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

All of this would be a moot point if NASCAR wasn't so quick to throw cautions for harmless spins/minimal contact with wall out of the racing groove/away from traffic.

Or a driver could be penalized a lap for bringing out a caution, but I would prefer that to not happen.

31. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Logano loses a tire and spins out on purpose at Martinsville, no penalty.

Wallace loses a tire and spins out on purpose at Texas and is issued a penalty.

Sanctioning body needs to stay out of judgement calls.

JBone88 and AndyMarquisLive like this.
  32. ChexOrWrex

Bad press is better than no press.

This sport is desperate for personality.

33. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Well Logano wasnt a dumbass and admit it. Bubba needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and 50 grand will probably be a great teacher

SlicedBread22 likes this.
  34. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Oh and Bubba, I'd scratch Dustin Long from my friends list

35. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I agree with what Bubba said though. Larson has done it. Everyone has done it.

Incidents are always blown way out of proportion with Bubba Wallace.

36. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Yeah but he knows better, or at least I thought he did.

37. JBone88

JBone88 JR Nation's last ride

I like Bubba. But this penalty is self inflicted. There was no need to admit to what everyone else already knew. He basically dared NASCAR to penalize him.

Sometimes you should just keep your trap shut.

Seedy, jws926, Turtle84 and 2 others like this.
  38. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Team Owner

With his most recent comments I kinda wonder about his mental stability. First his depression, which he said on the DJD he wasn't getting treatment for, now bragging about something like this? Dude get your poop in a group!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

39. SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX Team Owner

I don't blame Larson for being po'd, he was the fastest car on the track at the time and had been running down the field. He got up to 3rd or 4th from around 15th when the intentional caution came out.

Turtle84 likes this.
  40. ChexOrWrex

It’s not in his personality to just play dumb. Plus, he’d probably receive the same flack for not admitting and there would be speculation for days.

He played it right, IMO.

AndyMarquisLive likes this.